Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic TE remappings  (Read 10581 times)

Offline Gerk

Truly Ergonomic TE remappings
« on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 10:27:48 »
Just wondering if any others are doing key remapping with their TE boards.  Thought it might be a good place to discuss and/or share your remappings.  

I'm giving the board another whirl as my daily driver ... or at least until I get frustrated and move it aside.  For day to day typing I'm reasonably comfortable on this board, but for coding not so much.  For some reason I'm having a hell of a time re-training my brain for the location of all the non alpha-numeric stuff like quotes, brackets, slashes, etc.

My current remap is mostly just moving the numbers row over to match the (wrong) way that all the other splits have used, along with making right ctrl into enter.  Also left red key is esc and right is backspace.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 49375[/ATTACH]
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 12:07:30 »
But there's a nice backspace key right in the middle. :(

My TE isn't seeing all that much use, I like the Kinesis more. The only thing I enjoy about the TE is that it's small.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline pyro

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 12:22:33 »
Have you tried shift on one of the space keys?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 12:28:33 »
I had one of the spaces as backspace if it was pressed and as Fn if it was held. Then on the Fn layer I put the arrow keys on ESDF and home/end/page up/dn on IJKL to keep them closer to the hand.

I'm not a big fan of having shift on a thumb because I'm a fan of the ideology that you should always hold modifiers with the hand opposite to the one you want to use to press the key that goes with it. I find it quite uncomfortable to hold down a thumb button and then hit a button on the bottom row of the same hand.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Gerk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 17:05:06 »
In OSX I can't get the left space key to be recognized at all.  The Truly Ergonomic people (person?) was zero help.  That's the only key I haven't been able to get to send a keycode, no matter what I try.  If I could use that I'd probably remap backspace to it.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline boli

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 02:35:58 »
Quote from: Gerk;585112
In OSX I can't get the left space key to be recognized at all.  The Truly Ergonomic people (person?) was zero help.  That's the only key I haven't been able to get to send a keycode, no matter what I try.  If I could use that I'd probably remap backspace to it.

I sucessfully remapped it using ControllerMate ($15). IIRC the left space is the key called International 6, maybe there's a key like that to remap with the free KeyRemap4MacBook too, I dunno.

I tried using the left space as Backspace too, but I ended up using the supplied central Backspace instead. The left space key was used as Command eventually, as a thumbable Command was most important to me.

I documented my remappings at A Kinesis Advantage fan tries the TrulyErgonomic keyboard. Basically I made the layout more standard again, or at least more of what I'm used to already from the Kinesis.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2012, 02:45:43 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Gerk

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 09:22:52 »
I've tried with several utilities (but not ControllerMate).  In both xev and with KeyRemap4MacBook I get no keycode at all for that key.  I'm wondering if the board I have doesn't have issues.  Trying to deal with them for support is a nightmare, they don't seem to understand this at all.  They had me jump through all kinds of hoops (changing keyboard types, layouts, etc) and ended up blaming it on my setup (even though it's the same issue across several machines).

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 10:20:45 »
Are you sure that key isn't just dead?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 10:23:52 »
Quote from: Netdewt;586294
Are you sure that key isn't just dead?

That's what I'm suspecting honestly, but like I said support was a nightmare and was all about blaming my setup instead of trying to properly resolve the issue.  I've tried this board on at least 6 machines so far and none get a key code from that key in OSX or Linux (I have no windows machines to test it on).

Offline boli

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 16:45:37 »
In that case I would suspect it is dead too, unless it works when the "map left space to alternate key" DIP switch is off. If the space function works it's even worse - not a mechanical defect. :-/
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Gerk

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 16:48:58 »
It doesn't work no matter which way that DIP switch is set, no keycode at all.  I guess I should try and have another round of explain yourself over and over again with their support.  Problem is I have a 109 w/ reds ... dunno if there are any replacements available.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 18:55:14 »
No other computers to connect it to? I have no problems with the left spacebar, but I use the keyboard on Windows PCs.

Incidentally, if you decide to give up on your 109 with reds, I will gladly take it off your hands :)

Offline Gerk

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 19:06:40 »
Have tried it on at least 5-6 machines and it was the same for all of them.  All OSX machines except for one linux machine (a server).  No keycode from left space on any machine no matter where I put the DIP switch for selecting the space bar options.

Offline boli

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 02:52:22 »
If even space doesn't work it definitely sounds like a defect.

When I switched my Kinesis to reds I had to pop open the switches in the thumb area. I accidentally bent the small metal contact in one key so it stopped working. I was able to fix it by bending it back to original shape. Not sure this is an option, I vaguely remember that the switches in the TE are plate mounted. :-/

Offline Tracer

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 12:31:08 »
I would send it back and hope they have some reds to replace it with. They may just choose to fix it as that's actually possible with these boards. Do it as soon as possible to avoid having to wait a really long time for a replacement.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 13:25:42 »
Ok .. I finally got the left space working.  The _only_ thing that seems to pick it up is controller mate.  With controller mate running I now get a key code (even in other apps).  If I disable the controller mate daemon I get no key code from it at all in any app.  Not sure I understand why, but I finally got something that works for me.  Worth the $25 to buy it.

I've done some more remapping ... if I decide to keep the new mappings I'll update the info here.  So far it seems to be working better for me.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 13:34:22 »
Also worth noting I still get no key code from it on my linux box either.  Oh well, as long as I can use it on my main machines I'm much happier.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 22:46:33 »
I will say that that's really odd, but as long as it works with your setup, I'd say pragmatism (and therefore use) is satisfied. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Offline boli

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 02:50:57 »
That's weird indeed, I'm pretty sure I got a regular "Space" character in Mac OS X from left space when its DIP switch was not set. But I'm glad ControllerMate works for you. I wasn't aware of the new version until now, so apologies about the price misinformation. It's $10 more expensive than it was before, but it was a steal before IMO, so still worth it. :) I also use it to configure my mouse and trackballs - the developer is really responsive too, told me how to make all buttons work on a Kensington Slimblade for example.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 14:13:32 »
The new version seems to do a ton of cool things, I'll find uses for it beyond my TE keyboard I'm sure.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 15:23:24 »
It almost seems like your DIP3 switch is stuck in the off position.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 15:27:15 »
Hmm interesting, that might be.  It feels like it switches but if it doesn't actually engage that might explain some things.

Offline V21

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 08:28:04 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50612[/ATTACH]
Here's my remapping for a 109-key TE.  I was annoyed with pretty much every "optimized" location that TE came up with.  I regularly use keyboards other than TEs so need minimal changes from a "standard" qwerty layout.  I used KeyTweak to get this done -- also tried SharpKeys but found it didn't pick up some of the key mappings.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 12:06:51 »
*sigh* Here's to wishing I had a 109-key... Also, something *not* a TE... >.<

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 00:36:24 »
I don't have a fancy picture like V21 but here is my .xmodmap:
Code: [Select]
!Left space
keycode 103 = space
!Restore slash/question mark to its proper location
keycode 48 = slash question
!No need for an extra delete, I'm fine having it far away, so use it as Esc
keycode 94 = Escape
!Just doubling the backslash for now
keycode 61 = backslash bar
!Right shift becomes apostrophe
remove Shift = Shift_R
keycode 62 = apostrophe quotedbl
!Right control becomes shift
remove Control = Control_R
keycode 105 = Shift_R
add Shift = Shift_R
!Right alt becomes control
remove Mod1 = Alt_R
keycode 108 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R
!Swap left shift and control
remove Shift = Shift_L
remove Control = Control_L
keycode 50 = Control_L
keycode 37 = Shift_L
add Shift = Shift_L
add Control = Control_L
!Right space becomes windows key
keycode 65 = Super_R
add Mod4 = Super_R

I like this better although I'm now wishing that I hadn't waited as long to get around to doing this remapping, as I've started getting slightly accustomed to the default TE locations!

Offline batchout

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 12:56:39 »
Using AutoHotKey for PC (for MALTRON remap & all special keys)
and KeyRemap4Macbook/PCKeyboardHack for Mac (to use the international 1-6 keys)
and Ukelele for Mac (to remap to a MALTRON keyboard layout)
until the vaporware remapping software actually exists.

I am a huge supporter of the Maltron Layout.
The X key and /? are reversed due to the moved apostrophe key (from QWERTY)
Shift & Control swapped back to match my Kinesis (and almost every other keyboard)
Slash keys on the bottom corners
Dedicated Underscore & Asterix keys on top left
parentheses moved to 5 & 6 keys
=+ key flipped to +=

Currently I'm using the Deck109 on a Mac. My PC relies on having num lock ON, and because this swaps in the 10keypad, it's currently a deal-breaker. Wish I could turn this dependence on the system numlock state OFF!

Vinyl Key Stickers from 4keyboard on eBay.

Offline djcybermyth

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 16:40:01 »
So you use the TE without the wrist rest?  I can't imagine that!  Did you try it for awhile?

Offline batchout

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 23:47:06 »
When typing, I rest the TE on a (lower) lap-level shelf with a Logitech Wireless trackball right next to it. Since my hands are at a neutral position, it all just fits. Been using for 3 weeks like this. Will post updated photos, link to my key maps.

I swapped Ctrl & Shift (but not in the photo) and used Cherry blues for a nice crisp click.
The vertical row stagger helps your hands stay in position, unlike a TypeMatrix, in a good way. No Stagger, no problem.

I use a thin rubber mat & the TE & Trackball are sturdy & reliable.

Offline djcybermyth

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 15:32:01 »
Interesting.  I have always used both of mine with the wrist rest attached.  It has always just felt like part of the board rather than an add on.  I see that my original reply was a little unclear.  I meant to ask if you had tried using the wrist rest for awhile before taking it off.

You mentioned the lap-level shelf, which got me wondering if perhaps my desk setups are playing a big part in the reason why I feel this way about it.  I don't use a keyboard tray so my input devices are all table level.  I also use a Kensington Expert Mouse which also has a big wrist rest attachment (which I love!).

Offline batchout

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 00:42:22 »
The Palm Rest is sturdy & I still have all the screws.
It's good for laptop use.
I have two pillars and a board across them to support my KB because a tray won't anchor.
Here are my other keyboards, You'll notice the TE hiding on an old Viewsonic monitor

For a PC, AutoHotKey is great but I use remapped, numlock ON numpads alongside the TE Deck which ends up coexisting poorly with the built-in numpad toggle. Hence it's the only KB on my mac. The Logitech K800 works great on Mac AND PC.

Offline addwyn

Re: Truly Ergonomic TE remappings
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 04:25:46 »
It's now possible to make INTERNAL remappings inside the Truly-Ergonomic Firmware. I started a new topic on this:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38943.0

Offline sgtkabukiman

Re: Truly Ergonomic TE remappings
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:39:08 »
I was bummed that I couldn't get the NumLock key to work on Mac.   :mad:

Using KeyRemap4MacBook I managed to get a virtual numpad working by modifying the "F6 to Virtual NumLock" sample to use the NumLock key as the toggle and also match the layout of the numpad overlay on the Truly Ergonomic.  I also arbitrarily chose the quote key for clear and 0 for the equal key.

Code: [Select]
<item>
    <name>NumLock to Virtual NumLock</name>
    <appendix>Unlike Fn_Lock, retaining cursor keys, delete key.</appendix>
    <item>
        <name>Virtual NumLock</name>
        <appendix>7 8 9 0 - = &#8594; 7 8 9 = - +</appendix>
        <appendix>U I O P &#8594; 4 5 6 /</appendix>
        <appendix>J K L ; &#8594; 1 2 3 *</appendix>
        <appendix>M , . / &#8594; 0 , . Clear</appendix>
        <identifier vk_config="true">te.virtual_numlock</identifier>
        <autogen>__ShowStatusMessage__ NumLock</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::M,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_0</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DOT,       KeyCode::KEYPAD_DOT</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::QUOTE,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_CLEAR</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::J,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_1</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::K,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_2</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::L,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_3</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::SEMICOLON, KeyCode::KEYPAD_MULTIPLY</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::U,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_4</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::I,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_5</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::O,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_6</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::P,         KeyCode::KEYPAD_SLASH</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_7,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_7</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_8,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_8</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_9,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_9</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_0,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_EQUAL</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::MINUS,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_MINUS</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::EQUAL,     KeyCode::KEYPAD_PLUS</autogen>
    </item>
    <item>
        <name>NumLock to toggle "Virtual NumLock"</name>
        <identifier>remap.numlock_to_virtual_numlock</identifier>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEYPAD_CLEAR, KeyCode::VK_CONFIG_TOGGLE_te_virtual_numlock</autogen>
    </item>
</item>

It seems to be working OK, though I hope TE will resolve this issue soon.

Update:  Nevermind, the new firmware fixes the NumLock issue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:02:13 by sgtkabukiman »