geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Windows 11 (to be announced June 24, due in October)

<< < (19/20) > >>

farjana:
I found quite nice win 11 but the free upgrade offer does not have a specific end date for eligible systems

Darthbaggins:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 07 September 2021, 22:11:24 ---Mint numbers are not related to year, it just happened to line up in 2020, there will be a version 21 and when it comes they will flub the update just like they always do.
If you're willing to wipe and re-install, good, it's the only way to be certain it will work,  but why is it that everyone else can do this, including Ubuntu which Mint is based on (as well as every other one based on it).

Again, this is why no one was updating older versions, now they're annoyed because no one is updating the older versions.

--- End quote ---

Also have noticed the Mint team is developing a branch on it's own away from the Ubuntu base.  With all this crap with 11 and forcing hardware requirements that force users to buy newer hardware, I have been looking into swapping fulltime to something that will fit my needs.  Also this is why I have been looking into amazing deals to be had on 6*** series AMD GPU's (looking at the 6900/6950XT) - still the only issue I can see having is Bungie still not being on-board with Linux support.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Tue, 04 April 2023, 20:47:51 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 07 September 2021, 22:11:24 ---Mint numbers are not related to year, it just happened to line up in 2020, there will be a version 21 and when it comes they will flub the update just like they always do.
If you're willing to wipe and re-install, good, it's the only way to be certain it will work,  but why is it that everyone else can do this, including Ubuntu which Mint is based on (as well as every other one based on it).

Again, this is why no one was updating older versions, now they're annoyed because no one is updating the older versions.

--- End quote ---

Also have noticed the Mint team is developing a branch on it's own away from the Ubuntu base.  With all this crap with 11 and forcing hardware requirements that force users to buy newer hardware, I have been looking into swapping fulltime to something that will fit my needs.  Also this is why I have been looking into amazing deals to be had on 6*** series AMD GPU's (looking at the 6900/6950XT) - still the only issue I can see having is Bungie still not being on-board with Linux support.

--- End quote ---

I'd give a serious look at an Arch based distro. Valve/Steam is working with getting the big studios onboard SteamOS, which is basically just a modded Arch/KDE install so once that becomes available it's going to have the better experience for gaming.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Tue, 04 April 2023, 20:47:51 ---
developing a branch on it's own away from the Ubuntu base.

--- End quote ---

For a casual user like me, the colossal downside is hardware compatibility - I still can't get my 3-year-old Brother printer to scan, and still can't get a Logitech 5.1 speaker system to play more than 2.1

Leslieann:
On my Brother l2710 the scanner functions using brscan4, not sure of the .deb equivalent but the Arch AUR uses the RPM package direct from Brother to function.
Not the most elegant tool but it works. I also used to have it scan direct to my file server samba share but that functionality may have been removed in a firmware update as I can't seem to find it lately.

As for audio, I use a 5.1 analog set on a 3 port motherboard, I'd have bought a different board had I realized it only had 3 ports.
I use alsa-tools to run hdajackretask which lets me reconfigure the ports to all being output.  In Plasma control center (not sure on others), I go to audio, configure, then simply change it to 5.1. 
Windows works pretty much the same way but with a Realtek app.

Not sure any of this helps, but maybe it leads you a place where it does. If you want my entire install notes for these pm me, I have a step by step walk through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version