Author Topic: Dying dye sub keycaps - any downsides?  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Coreda

Dying dye sub keycaps - any downsides?
« on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 08:11:37 »
Was considering getting some PBT dye sub keycaps then dying them (with iDye Poly as per past recs here). Thing is, would the heat necessary for the dying affect the dye sub legends?

According to Wikipedia for polyester textiles at least the temp at which the dye sub process is transformed is 180-210°C which is far above the less-than boiling temp needed for the DIY dye however I didn't notice any user experiences so thought I'd ask.

Anyone experience issues with doing this?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 October 2022, 18:54:43 by Coreda »

Offline Francisco

Re: Dying dye sub keycaps - practical?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 12:50:15 »
It's far more practical to work out your design and them get WASD to dye sub a set of keys for you. Their price is very reasonable and the result is professional - just make sure your design is correct. That's what I did a couple of years ago and I'm typing this on those keys - absolutely love my keys!

Offline Coreda

Re: Dying dye sub keycaps - any downsides?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 19:01:19 »
It's far more practical to work out your design and them get WASD to dye sub a set of keys for you. Their price is very reasonable and the result is professional - just make sure your design is correct. That's what I did a couple of years ago and I'm typing this on those keys - absolutely love my keys!

It's more that I have a PBT set in mind and having seen users here in the past post about dying keycaps thought I'd gauge if I'm missing anything. WASD's offering is ABS afaik and a for my purpose a tad overkill anyway  :)