Author Topic: Yep, I've joined you crazies  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Dianoda

Yep, I've joined you crazies
« on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 13:30:22 »
I've lurked quite a bit, and finally decided on what I think is the right board for me - a barebones 104 key w/ Cherry Browns from WASD, the 0.2mm dampener O-rings, and a 104 cap version of these keycaps from qtan5370 (he runs a vendor board @ Geekhack):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-PBT-White-sub-dye-Rainbow-Key-caps-MX-Cherry-Switches-keyboard-Filco-etc-/300728618201?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2972183486000918038%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300728618201%26

I think I did well :).  Now for the hard part - waiting the next week or two for all these parts to show up.

Offline Internetlad

Re: Yep, I've joined you crazies
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 13:36:41 »
Whenever I order something, it's like a christmas present to myself. Waiting is a killer.

Welcome aboard and watch your wallet.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 13:50:28 »
That's why online stores started to offer express shipping - charging for it, obviously.
You can search for the right product for 2 months, but after you finish your purchase waiting for delivery makes you feel like 2 minutes are 2 years.
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 14:43:18 »
Whenever I order something, it's like a christmas present to myself. Waiting is a killer.

Welcome aboard and watch your wallet.

Wait until you get into group buys

The one I bought into ~8 months ago just came in the mail on Monday. To GeekHack properly you need waiting skills, a deep wallet and a good mail man ^___^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 15:57:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Jumping in at the deep end, I see :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 16:17:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Jumping in at the deep end, I see :)

Ha, thanks, and what can I say?  I figured I'd be better off with one really nice keyboard than ending up with a stack of lesser keyboards I don't use.  And I do like to tinker...

I was originally looking at the Filco Majestouch 2's, but Amazon's been out of stock of the black case/brown switch models for at least the past month, and importing one from the UK via keyboardco would have cost nearly as much.  So I decided that I might as well get some really sweet keycaps if I'm going to spend upwards of $200.

I'll post pics once I've finish putting it all together.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 16:37:33 »
Way to go!!  Some people buy dozens of keyboards trying to find the right one for them, others agonize over a decision for months ;)

Not that many have the skillz to make their own from the go.

There are many talented individuals lurking around here who will be able to assist you if you encounter any difficulties.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
Yep, I've joined you crazies
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 16:39:38 »
Welcome man! Looks like you've done well. Enjoy the wait!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 17:59:21 »
Hope you like Browns. Not saying this to worry you about your purchase, but I was looking into Browns and found them to be not at all like I imagined. Ended up getting Blacks because Browns didn't have the resistance I was looking for.

Either way, If you already know you'll like your switches, great!

You'll find that if you DON'T like your board (and i'm not saying you won't) that you could probably even do a swap in the Classifieds.

Hope you enjoy Browns more than I did!
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline skryl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:50:42 »
Welcome to GH!
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre