Author Topic: Filco Minila Review (Pictures inside)  (Read 46624 times)

Offline app13

Filco Minila Review (Pictures inside)
« on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 07:57:05 »
This morning I decided to run down to my local Yodobashi Camera and pick up one of these:

The Filco Minila. Here is my quick review:

Build Quality:
I could beat someone to death with this keyboard and then blog about it with no problems. It's that solid. There is no flexing, and very very slight key wobble. It has a good weight to it, which combined with the fantastic rubber feet makes for a very sturdy typing experience. The indicator LEDs on the top right of the keyboard shine a very nice deep blue, not too bright in my opinion. The keyboard itself is a very nice matte black with minimal branding.

Keys:
I was initially worried about losing some functionality by using a 60% keyboard. I was mostly worried about the space bar to be perfectly honest. The space bar on this keyboard is about the size of 2.5 quarters or 3 100 yen pieces. This has proven to not be an issue however, I have been using this keyboard for about 5 hours now, and have not run into any problems as far as hitting the space bar goes. The only key that took some getting used to was the right shift, which is the same size as a standard letter key. This was a little tricky at first, but I have gotten used to it. The CherryMX Blues in this keyboard are as fantastic as usual. The keycaps themselves are of OK quality, nothing to write home about. I must admit that I don't know as much about key caps as I should. I just wish this keyboard had the same side printed keys as the filco NINJA.

Features:
This keyboard features a lot of key customization through six DIP switches on the back. These switches allow you to do things such as use either (or both) of the function keys as space bars, switch ESC with the `~ key, and switch the CapsLock key with CTRL (HHKB style). The Minila also comes with a detachable usb cable, a usb 2.0 port, replacement keys, and a key remover.

Overall:
This is a fantastic keyboard. The build quality is second to none, and the minimal branding gives it a very professional look. The keycaps could be better, but I can't really complain. Over all this is a vert nice keyboard. The only thing I'm not sure about is the price. For those of you lucky enough to not be stationed in Japan, expect to pay ~$175 for this puppy.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Filco Minila Review (Pictures inside)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 12:49:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack, great review.

Are the switches plate mounted?

Offline app13

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 16:33:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack, great review.

Are the switches plate mounted?

Yes, they are. 

Offline shibbyllama889

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 07:34:26 »
Have you noticed any issue with typing on the ZXCV row? That row is shifted to the left by .25 in order to have 3 1x1 keys to the right of "/?". Have you found yourself accidentally hitting two keys at the same time or consistently hitting on the edge of a key? After finding out about this, I've been most worried about this change. Everything else I could get used to, but there is so much muscle memory for touch typing. That's another thing to ask, do you type without looking or do you typically look at the keyboard while typing?

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:16:43 »
oh man I would kill myself if I had that space key
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline app13

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:26:08 »
Have you noticed any issue with typing on the ZXCV row? That row is shifted to the left by .25 in order to have 3 1x1 keys to the right of "/?". Have you found yourself accidentally hitting two keys at the same time or consistently hitting on the edge of a key? After finding out about this, I've been most worried about this change. Everything else I could get used to, but there is so much muscle memory for touch typing. That's another thing to ask, do you type without looking or do you typically look at the keyboard while typing?

I honestly haven't noticed any hardship in typing on this board. I am a touch typist, looking at the keyboard only to hit certain special characters, and haven't noticed myself hitting two keys or miss typing anything. It took about 10 minutes to get used to the slight switch, but after that short learning curve I find myself typing at full speed again.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:27:23 »

how would you kill yourself
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 21:23:13 »
Thanks for the review!  Now I wish I had one.  :(
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:20:05 »

how would you kill yourself

Yeah, I dont think the spacebar is even big enough to kill oneself with. He could even swallow it withought choking to death. This may be the safest keyboard ever!

Offline baller1308

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 10:07:15 »
Don't do it...just change the fn key to act as a spacebar. :)

Update:

So I ended up buying one myself and it's nice.  Some things I don't really like is the small backspace.  Wish they would have added a normal sized one and it would have been better.  It's a slight adjustment I have to make but one I feel like I shouldn't have to make. They did make the colon/semi colon key a backspace as well when used with the Fn modifier.  So once I get used to that then the backspace issue isn't that big of a deal, but still annoying

Another pro and con is the modifier arrow keys.  Instead of being on the WASD keys they are on ESDF which makes it difficult if you wanted to add different keycaps since the arrow keys won't line up.  The pro is that using the arrow keys with the current setup I find is easier since it uses my gaming fingers which I'm accustomed to.

I actually have no issue with the smaller spacebar.  I guess if you gamed it might be an issue on the left side, you might have to change the left FN into a spacebar via the dip switches.

Final thoughts:
A nice keyboard with the usual build quality you can expect from Filco.  I wish they would have went with a larger backspace.  While you can switch the backslash key and the backspace key I see no reason for the tilde key since there is also one on the escape key via modifiers.  In terms of design, a more classic look would have been better.  Not sure who decided on the casing, but it's not very consistent.  Modifier arrow keys are good and bad, depends on the typist.  Dedicated arrow keys aren't really necessary in my opinion.  They could have gotten rid of them, included a larger right shift key, adjusted the row back to standard positioning and maybe had it configured in the bottom right to be Fn ALT DELETE CTRL (not entirely sure what the App key is for yet) and could have increased the size of the spacebar too with the extra area.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:26:30 by baller1308 »
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Barbastruzzolo

• No money to buy a Topre
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 01:56:57 »

I can answer for this question :-)

I personally find the layout optimal to force the correct position of the hands. The layout forces you to hit C with middle finger, X with the ring finger, Z with the little finger and V with the forefinger.
The keys are a little closer than a normal Filco and that's for me an advantage in terms of ergonomics.
Filco FKBN88M/UKB2 || Cherry G80-3000LSCIT-2 || Cherry G80-3000 LPCEU-2 || Apple Extended Keyboard II (QZERTY) || Filco MINILA FFKB68MRL/UKB

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 06:39:14 »
A small request: Can you take a picture of the stabilizers with the spacebar off? I'm just curious if they use a 2x size or if it's a custom stabilizer size.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:39:02 »

I can answer for this question :-)

I personally find the layout optimal to force the correct position of the hands. The layout forces you to hit C with middle finger, X with the ring finger, Z with the little finger and V with the forefinger.
The keys are a little closer than a normal Filco and that's for me an advantage in terms of ergonomics.
Mostly I agree.  I feel like all the keys are easy enough to use except when it comes to using the question mark key with my pinky.  It's a slight adjustment I'll have to make.  But the other keys, I have no issues with.  If anything it might be a little more comfortable since on the left hand your bring your fingers more south rather than southeast, so it feels more natural.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Tony

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 03:30:02 »
Thanks for the detailed review. I also feel that the space bar is too small. I am a touch typist (Colemak layout) and I can't stand a small Shift key either. Hopefully you will get used to it , given time.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Narcix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 05:09:36 »
Backspace so small :/
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 06:57:46 »
Backspace so small :/

OP, welcome to GH, v. nice review.

I have to agree with Narcix, backspace way too small :(
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 11:24:16 »
I have one of these with browns. It's the right shift that gets you.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 00:40:24 »
Was looking into this. Thanks for the review. If I had to choose I think I'd go with the FC660C, even though I live my MJ2.
Head in the clouds.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 11:40:33 »
before i got the ninja87, which i am using right now, i was think about ninja87 or this. but due to the layout, i chose ninja87.
but both of them are really good

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 09:27:32 »
Space Bar is too small... :-X

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 09:39:51 »
I wonder very compatible layout for mini
I would be immediatly buy to those.
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline tbc

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 18:56:11 »
Space Bar is too small... :-X

have you tried one in person?

out of curiosity, how do you guys position your hands?

I keep my left thumb 'middle' knuckle on the spacebar because my right hand is on my mouse usually.  when i'm typing, i keep using my left thumb for spacebar just to maintain consistency.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:47:23 »
I want know
whether spacebar reallyreally in center or more to left/right side?
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:49:11 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:31:43 »
For me, a small spacebar is not a problem. However, there are some isues with the Filco Minila that affect my typing speed and accuracy:

1. Small right-shift. Even 1.75x would be fine, but 1.00x is too small.

2. Small backspace. Although the backspace can be moved to the pipe/backslash key, this does not work well for me.

3. Non-standard staggering in the z-row.

Suggestions for Filco for Minila revision:

1. If you keep the arrow keys, add one more column of keys on the far right. This will take care of all of the problems listed above. It would be like a high-build-qualtiy KC84, but minus the F-key row. Alternatively, it would be like a Leopold FC660M, but with a completed right-hand column of navigation keys.

2. If you do not keep the arrow keys, make a high-bulid-quality version of the Poker II and create a highly intuitive Fn layer. This would be great, because the layout would be completely standard, making life easy for touch typists and those who wish to replace the keycaps. Perhaps everything could be programmable so that locations of arrow keys, etc. could be user-selected.

Offline ften

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 21:16:49 »
Great review app, just one question thought; you said you had some difficulties adjusting to the shorter right shift, how did you find the backspace then?  I can't imagine trying to type on that, I ♥ my long backspace.

out of curiosity, how do you guys position your hands?

I keep my left thumb 'middle' knuckle on the spacebar because my right hand is on my mouse usually.  when i'm typing, i keep using my left thumb for spacebar just to maintain consistency.

I'm the same, my left thumb is always hovering over the space bar just below the V key, along with my right pinkie just being used for the right shift.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:42:56 »
I've just about given up on 60% boards that try to squeeze cursor keys into the layout without adding a new column to the far right of the board. It is too difficult to adjust to a right shift and/or backspace any smaller than 1.75x. Consequently, when I want a 60% board, I go back to the Poker II. With the Poker II, I can type normally, and if I wish to replace the keycaps, I can do it with a single standard set. It is much easier to invoke arrow keys in the Fn layer than to deal with diminutive right shift and/or backspace keys.

I've also just about given up on 60%+ or 75% boards as well. For example, in the 60%+ category, the Leopold FC660C and FC660M are excellent and include cursor keys, but keycap replacement is difficult with the non-standard right shift and spacebar. In the 75% category, boards like the Choc Mini, Race, and Keycool 84 have layouts that use a short right shift, non-standard modifiers, and non-standard profiles for some of the navigation keys in the right-hand column. The small amount of saved space is not worth the hassles (for me at least), and rather than use these "mini" boards, I prefer to use a good 80% (TKL) board. With a TKL, I have a standard layout with a symmetrically laid out navigation island to facilitate typing and keycap replacement.

Boards like the Filco Minila and Tex Beetle have excellent build quality and interesting designs, but they present typing and keycap replacement challenges for some users. Therefore, Filco and Tex might want to consider producing 60% boards with a standard layout, top-notch build quality, and an intuitive Fn layer. Such boards might include some luxury options, such as dye-sub PBT keycaps of high quality (such as found on the IBM Model M, Topre Realforce, and HHKB Pro 2) and brushed aluminum cases, as already found in the top panel of the Tex Beetle.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:52:07 »
I've just about given up on 60% boards that try to squeeze cursor keys into the layout without adding a new column to the far right of the board. It is too difficult to adjust to a right shift and/or backspace any smaller than 1.75x. Consequently, when I want a 60% board, I go back to the Poker II. With the Poker II, I can type normally, and if I wish to replace the keycaps, I can do it with a single standard set. It is much easier to invoke arrow keys in the Fn layer than to deal with diminutive right shift and/or backspace keys.

I've also just about given up on 60%+ or 75% boards as well. For example, in the 60%+ category, the Leopold FC660C and FC660M are excellent and include cursor keys, but keycap replacement is difficult with the non-standard right shift and spacebar. In the 75% category, boards like the Choc Mini, Race, and Keycool 84 have layouts that use a short right shift, non-standard modifiers, and non-standard profiles for some of the navigation keys in the right-hand column. The small amount of saved space is not worth the hassles (for me at least), and rather than use these "mini" boards, I prefer to use a good 80% (TKL) board. With a TKL, I have a standard layout with a symmetrically laid out navigation island to facilitate typing and keycap replacement.

Boards like the Filco Minila and Tex Beetle have excellent build quality and interesting designs, but they present typing and keycap replacement challenges for some users. Therefore, Filco and Tex might want to consider producing 60% boards with a standard layout, top-notch build quality, and an intuitive Fn layer. Such boards might include some luxury options, such as dye-sub PBT keycaps of high quality (such as found on the IBM Model M, Topre Realforce, and HHKB Pro 2) and brushed aluminum cases, as already found in the top panel of the Tex Beetle.

I actually really like all the things you just said you dislike. I love the short backspace, I like the short shift. I LOVE the tiny spacebar.

Though, I would like some new keycaps at some point. They're not crap at all, but some PBT would be nice.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:03:05 »

I actually really like all the things you just said you dislike. I love the short backspace, I like the short shift. I LOVE the tiny spacebar.

Though, I would like some new keycaps at some point. They're not crap at all, but some PBT would be nice.

To each his own; it is great that we have some choices. For me, I need a right shift and backspace that are bigger than 1.00x, but I can live with a relatively tiny spacebar.

Offline ragnarok95

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:51:24 »
I just got my Minila yesterday. Mine was using cherry red however.

One thing to note about this KB which i feel that TS failed to mentioned is the one usb hub at the back of the KB. It has enough power for a thumbdrive or a dongle receiver which surprise me. I plugged in my sony USB3.0 16GB thumbdrive, no issue, it can read. What i do is i plug in my logitech m950 receiver behind and it freed up one usb port on my display. Great job there filco for including a usb hub behind. 

Offline tbc

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:52:28 »
I honestly can't believe someone complimented the stock keycaps.  they are the worst things i have ever used on any keyboard ever.  I think my phone has better keycaps than those ;p

Offline nourathar

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 05:38:48 »
I have been using one of these for about three months now and I'm very happy with it. It is my first mechanical keyboard (with browns), so I can not really compare with anything else. A few points in response to this thread:

- Yes, the backspace key is small, but I swapped it with the pipe/forward slash key (which has no real reason whatsoever to be that big, right ?) Adapting to this will be more easy for some than for others.

- I have no problems whatsoever with the spacebar size, (it helps keeping your hands in the right position for touch typing) except that I have not been able to find a replacement keycap for it, so I have been thinking to attempt some DIY there at some point.

- I did remap some of my more frequent shortcuts that involved the function keys: the extra keypress required on this board does make them a bit more difficult to reach.

- The only thing I dislike about this keyboard is the plasticky eighties slant left at the back of the case..

The size, weight and sturdiness and USB port are great IMO..

J.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 September 2013, 05:46:49 by nourathar »

Offline Tony

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:06:02 »
I am highly tempted to buy this keyboard but I still concerned about the small Spacebar.

Since I am a touch typist (Colemak layout), a small right Shift is also very inconvenient.

How long can you guys get used to these adjustments?
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline tbc

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:15:17 »
i curl my left thumb and it naturally rests on the spacebar (on the flat part - not the sharp left edge).  I don't use right shift because My hand is on my mouse for the vast majority of the time.  My setup is optimized for left hand on keyboard and right hand on mouse; that's why i press space with my left thumb.

the left fn key allows me to set F1,2,3 to be macros. overall, this keyboard is the best thing ever for someone like me.  I never had to adjust to anything at any point.  The fatal flaws are the crappy unreplaceable keycaps and the lack of better switches (clears).

Offline Tony

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:19:13 »
What a pity! Touch typing requires both shifts, and I notice that my left thumb rests exactly between F and G keys, so if I type on a Minila my thumb would rest on the sharp left edge.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:42:06 »

Small backspace and right shift just do not make sense from the point of ergonomics. These keys are larger in a standard keyboard based on the fact of frequency of use. The balance for an smaller than standard keyboard is hard and I think is very unlikely to get one that fits all potential users / adopters. There will be always compromises, however I see the solution offered by this keyboard is one harder for most when compared with the Leopold and even Pocker.

For me, a small spacebar is not a problem. However, there are some isues with the Filco Minila that affect my typing speed and accuracy:

2. Small backspace. Although the backspace can be moved to the pipe/backslash key, this does not work well for me.

1. If you keep the arrow keys, add one more column of keys on the far right. This will take care of all of the problems listed above. It would be like a high-build-qualtiy KC84, but minus the F-key row. Alternatively, it would be like a Leopold FC660M, but with a completed right-hand column of navigation keys.

2. If you do not keep the arrow keys, make a high-bulid-quality version of the Poker II and create a highly intuitive Fn layer. This would be great, because the layout would be completely standard, making life easy for touch typists and those who wish to replace the keycaps. Perhaps everything could be programmable so that locations of arrow keys, etc. could be user-selected.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 11:38:56 »

Small backspace and right shift just do not make sense from the point of ergonomics. These keys are larger in a standard keyboard based on the fact of frequency of use. The balance for an smaller than standard keyboard is hard and I think is very unlikely to get one that fits all potential users / adopters. There will be always compromises, however I see the solution offered by this keyboard is one harder for most when compared with the Leopold and even Pocker.

Yes, I agree. I have finally adopted the HHKB Pro 2 as my favorite keyboard. I delayed trying it for a long time because I was skeptical about the layout and lack of dedicated arrow keys. However, I adapted to it right away with no problem.

The only suggestion I would have for the HHKB Pro 2 is to have a 55-gram Topre option, but for now I can live with the 45-gram switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 11:47:21 »
As someone on the side lines ............

ESDF is brilliant and is very logical.  So IMO this one up's the Poker.

On the other hand is there a coating on this?  Filco coats all their keys and when it eventually comes off it looks very disgusting.

Offline tbc

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 13:59:52 »
i've had:

cm storm abs caps
filco minila caps (not sure if different from other filcos)
ducky pbt

the minila caps are the worst thing i've used on any keyboard ever.  The texture of the caps is very greasy-sticky feeling and it somehow seems to grow it's own finger grease.

this is coming from somebody who took 3 months to shine the left fn key of the minila (only mech keycap that's ever shined).

Honestly not sure how helpful to you since I don't wear through my keys; but just take my word for it: they are HORRIBLE.  Just suck it up on the spacebar and fn keys and replace the rest asap.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 23:35:48 »

If you're not going have dedicated Arrow keys, the best alternative I've found is to put them in the Fn layer on the JKLI keys.  This maps exactly to the fingers you normally use for the standard Arrow keys, so it's totally natural -- zero learning curve -- and your hand stays in home row, so it's really fast to get to them.

Re-assign the Caps Lock key to be Fn and you have a setup that's faster than a keyboard with dedicated Arrow keys.

I typed on a system like this for 2 years and it was incredible.  It also had the standard Arrow keys, but I never used them -- they were too slow.

Offline tbc

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 01:49:02 »
^ wow, that's actually genius....

i set my capslock to backspace (colemak style) so it wouldn't work for me, but genius regardless.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 03:11:35 »
^ wow, that's actually genius....

i set my capslock to backspace (colemak style) so it wouldn't work for me, but genius regardless.

You don't know what you're missing.  :-)

If you lay it out like this, you have access to full navigation without moving your hand out of home row, including moving the cursor word-by-word and deleting entire words...

It's really easy to set up with macro software.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 16:26:45 »
Recently, I have adopted the HHKB Pro 2 as my new daily driver (previously, it was the IMB SSK). I hesitated a long time before trying the HHKB Pro 2, because I thought the layout would be too alien and that I would miss dedicated arrow keys. However, I adapted very quickly, and now this layout seems completely intuitive.

Initially, I mapped the arrow keys to Control (where CapsLock is on a conventional keyboard) + IKJL, but this interfered with other programs that use Control+K to delete a line, so I then tried Alt+IKJL for the arrow keys. I still have this mapping in place, but I found that the default Fn+[/;' works very well for me.

However, if I did not need my quirky program that uses Control+K for something else, I think Matias' recommendation looks excellent. It would work well on the venerable IBM as well as other standard keyboards. Moreover, it is well suited to the HHKB Pro 2, which already has the CapsLock position mapped to Control.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 16:40:26 »
Initially, I mapped the arrow keys to Control (where CapsLock is on a conventional keyboard) + IKJL, but this interfered with other programs that use Control+K to delete a line, so I then tried Alt+IKJL for the arrow keys. I still have this mapping in place, but I found that the default Fn+[/;' works very well for me.

However, if I did not need my quirky program that uses Control+K for something else, I think Matias' recommendation looks excellent. It would work well on the venerable IBM as well as other standard keyboards. Moreover, it is well suited to the HHKB Pro 2, which already has the CapsLock position mapped to Control.

Sorry, I should clarify...

My suggestion of using Control as the surrogate modifier key for doing Arrow keys on IJKL was for Mac users — since the Control key on the Mac doesn't really do anything, it's available for use as a modifier.

For PC users, the Alt key is a better candidate as the IJKL modifier.  Plus, you can hold it down with your thumbs without leaving home row.  Of course, an actual Fn keys is best, if you have that option available.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:21:38 »

Sorry, I should clarify...

My suggestion of using Control as the surrogate modifier key for doing Arrow keys on IJKL was for Mac users — since the Control key on the Mac doesn't really do anything, it's available for use as a modifier.

For PC users, the Alt key is a better candidate as the IJKL modifier.  Plus, you can hold it down with your thumbs without leaving home row.  Of course, an actual Fn keys is best, if you have that option available.

I am a Mac user, but I use some programs on the Mac that make use of the Control key.

Whereas I do like Control+ikjl or Alt+ikjl for arrow keys, I have now thoroughly adapted to the HHKB Pro2 using the default Mac settings and the default arrow key diamond in conjunction with the Fn key on the right side.

Offline vztrx200

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 05:48:33 »
Awesome review! I want a 60% so bad now, I know it would be perfect for my typing I just need to find one with as normal sized backspace... separate arrow keys... a regular sized spacebar... and maybe a number pad might be useful too... So basically a 100%. Dammit! The irresolvable conflict between 'lust' and 'practicality' rears it's ugly head once again.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 13:36:02 by vztrx200 »

Offline Poi

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:26:08 »
thx for review.

I love mini board with arrows. but its space bar is bit short.

Offline vztrx200

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 13:33:40 »
So after weeks of debate I think this has finally convinced me to pull the trigger on one of these babies. I will be using solely for typing which may sound weird given that it's a compact board but having a very central position when working is very VERY important to me, plus the extra USB out will be a real bonus as they're in short supply on my desktop. So far the pros and cons add up like this -

Pros:
Footprint - ideal for my limited desk space.
Compact - ideal for maintaining a centralised typing position.
USB - as mentioned I'm short on ports.
Arrow Keys - vitally important for me when hopping through text docs.

(Potential) Cons
Small backspace - not sure how much I'll be able to get used to that.
Small spacebar - I tend to strike my SB pretty centrally but it's still a concern.
Aesthetics - I'm not a huge fan of the weird 80's style slope at the back.

I was originally considering a Poker 2 but top layer arrow keys are a must for me really. I was also thinking of a Leopold FC660C but it seems like they're pretty hard to get hold of in the U.K. and I'm a bit time constrained so waiting for an import isn't really an option, but if anyone has any other suggestions or can quash my concerns that'd be great.

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 15:12:30 by vztrx200 »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:24:01 »

This exactly. I'm on Linux and I use left-alt + {ijkl} since years. I recently added alt+u (home) and alt+m (end) after discovering that some were doing that here on GH  :)

If an actual fn key is best or not depends on where it's located: on my HHKB it is quite far and on most keyboards that have a "regular width" spacebar if the fn key is after:   alt / gui / spacebar / gui / altGr / fn   then 'fn' is quite far too, which is not great IMHO.

The solution of course is to have a narrower spacebar like the Filco minila here: many people say "spacebar is too small" but it's a trade-off... In exchange you get modifiers which are easier to reach.

Does anyone know if the two 'fn' keys (the ones left and right of the spacebar) do send different keycodes? (that is: can they be mapped independently by software?)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:00:27 »
Nice board. As you pointed already the shift, the backspace and the space bar are the main concerns. I am pretty sure the user could get accustomed to them. Well, besides not eating we can be accustomed to anything, almost.

Thank you for the review, nice keyboard.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 13:01:10 »
Nice board. As you pointed already the shift, the backspace and the space bar are the main concerns. I am pretty sure the user could get accustomed to them. Well, besides not eating we can be accustomed to anything, almost.

Thank you for the review, nice keyboard.

The backspace and spacebar are OK, but that right shift is a killer.