Author Topic: At last i found geekhack...  (Read 2763 times)

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
At last i found geekhack...
« on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 06:51:36 »
New old user here, just want to say a quick hallo!

The mechanical keyboard found me again after my crappy 20$ keyboard stopped working and i found myself in Hong Kong with a silent voice whispering in my head you are in the land of tech and hallways filled with this:

I did what all new mech noobs do, i bought a razor blackwidow. 105 keys big chunky board with nice green lights. i don't game a lot i just use a lot of time in the chair doing "work"

After realizing this keyboard is for kids and took a closer look at the market i saw the CORSAIR RGB TLK BOARD :eek: i dint even ask for the switches.. later to drop my head in the keyboard because typing on cherry mx reds is a ****in pain haha.. but regards of the boards red switches, its a solid keyboard. Built quality is top and endless customization possibilities.

story continues i had to leave Hong Kong to go to Europe to do some work over summer. i dint have my board with me... So a learned about the real keyboards the 60% travel size, non teen flashy, clean and no software to run programmable layers etc and it looks good and have the switch of my life. not greens which i thought but never tried. cherry mx clears on THE POK3R white iso backlit edtion  :thumb:

just wanted give heads up to new mech enthusiast. Read as much as possible before bying a highend keyboard.. learn learn learn... that there will never come ISO PBT backlit keycaps for the nordic countries...

I have been searching for a dedicated pok3r thread, is there one here geekhack? or only on reddit

looking forward to use geekhack

Cheers

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:10:49 by pon10 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: At last i found geekhack...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 07:23:47 »
I don't think there is a Pok3r thread here, maybe 60% but reddit loves it more than us. :))

Offline pon10

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 07:48:20 »
Thanks!

i know i am moving into a highly sensitive area here  :-[ and didnt meen to bash in :) i am just not ready to do soldering yet, so the pok3r got me going in the right direction. Some of these built i have seen is amazing and unique.

Looking forward to the day.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 07:52:55 »
You don't need to do soldering. People can do it for you.

But you can say that you don't want to spend too much, and that's perfectly justifiable.

Offline pon10

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:03:03 »
True, but when i am ready to do so i wouldn't mind building everything since the process is nice when you enjoy something :) time is the big player here. and off-course the MONEY :D since i now on one year bought 3 keyboards. i cant sell the razor.. because its in pieces :cool: but i can actually thank razor for finding the 60% keyboard. I wanted to change the case for it because its so chunky big and that guided me to the 60% size :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:08:11 by pon10 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:41:12 »
True, but when i am ready to do so i wouldn't mind building everything since the process is nice when you enjoy something :) time is the big player here. and off-course the MONEY :D since i now on one year bought 3 keyboards. i cant sell the razor.. because its in pieces :cool: but i can actually thank razor for finding the 60% keyboard. I wanted to change the case for it because its so chunky big and that guided me to the 60% size :)

Listen.... 60% isn't for everybody. Really not. I sometimes like to use it, but only when I write or program with vim; outside that specifical limits, I hate it.

I would like to suggest you to use autohotkey to program your 100% keyboard and make it work like a 60%. You can disable keys, and assign functions to others. This is the only way to understand how hard it is to use a 60% in real life. If you want a compact layout, like I said, try a g80-1800, a 75%, or a 65% like the leopold or the whitefox.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:43:15 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4aonuz/autohotkey_executable_for_simulating_the_pok3r/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2l95kg/does_anybody_have_an_ahk_or_similar_script_to/

Offline pon10

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:26:57 »
Thanks for the links
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:30:35 by pon10 »

Offline pon10

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:29:26 »

Listen.... 60% isn't for everybody. Really not. I sometimes like to use it, but only when I write or program with vim; outside that specifical limits, I hate it.

I would like to suggest you to use autohotkey to program your 100% keyboard and make it work like a 60%. You can disable keys, and assign functions to others. This is the only way to understand how hard it is to use a 60% in real life. If you want a compact layout, like I said, try a g80-1800, a 75%, or a 65% like the leopold or the whitefox.

I can see your point easily :) the main reason why i got the pok3r was for travel and design on the desk. I have trillion (almost) things on my desk.
Sometimes i use the keyboard a lot an other times i use the keyboard with a tablet, and then its nice to have the space.  For extensive keyboard use i would love to have have a full size keyboard on a main station. the razor blackwidow was just to "gamer" for a professional environment.  the corsair k65 rgb is good but the cherry mx red switches are killing me. but i like i can program everything for what application i am using.

Jumbed on the current drop with the whitefox with iso layout. ( big iso fan, my fingers always **** up on the ansi layout) looking forward to the board since its a little bigger then the pok3r with the dedicated arrow keys.

But still on lookout for a clean 100% keyboard with RGB lighting and good software options to customize for varies application use (adobe suite) the corsair design and software is very nice i just cant work on the cherry mx reds...
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:32:35 by pon10 »

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:33:51 »

Offline pon10

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:45:19 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:03:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A great keyboard, the Pok3r.  Great switches, MX clear :)  But as you have discovered, the Nordic ISO will give you difficulties finding replacement keycap sets.  And if you want backlight-friendly Nordic ISO keycap sets, even more difficult :(

But ISO support is improving - the best thing you can do is find keycap group buys that you like and make your voice heard to have ISO support!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pon10

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:36:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A great keyboard, the Pok3r.  Great switches, MX clear :)  But as you have discovered, the Nordic ISO will give you difficulties finding replacement keycap sets.  And if you want backlight-friendly Nordic ISO keycap sets, even more difficult :(

But ISO support is improving - the best thing you can do is find keycap group buys that you like and make your voice heard to have ISO support!

Thanks Mate! still taking my time to input all the data in here and learn :) thanks for the advised did just that and have been able to pick up a decent (goodspeed) iso kit with a international legends. looking forward to it, the next part is to learn to wait.. :)