Author Topic: ErgoDox EZ  (Read 2498 times)

Offline ala

ErgoDox EZ
« on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:25:13 »
I have been using the keyboard for about 3 years. It's not perfect but I don't know anything better so I ended having 2 units, one at work, the other at home.

General about ErgoDox
Pros:
- Programability! Finally I have a hardware Colemak keyboard compatible with computers configured to US layout. Of course I like the opportunity to have a little more customization than the letters layout.
- Grid keys arrangement. Cannot recommend it more! On traditional keyboard the left hand side is completely screwed causing strain and touch-typing errors.
- Left/right halves separation
- thumb keys

Cons:
- Too few keys. I would really appreciate having an additional row of 4 keys on left and right side. The 1.5u keys are not necessary, I would appreciate two rows of 1u keys instead.
- Lack of function keys row. I would like to have them too.
- Necessity to use key combinations (switching layout layers, etc) due to the lack of sufficient number of keys.
- Thumb islands are over-engineered. Only the two big keys are usable, the 1u keys are impossible to use by thumbs and awkward to use otherwise, definitely not usable for touch-typing
- The bottom row could be more pronounced by using bigger keys.

ErgoDox EZ specific
Pros:
- Build quality.

Cons:
- Tilt kit is unusable. It has only 3 legs! You can tilt only in one direction, very disappointing if it does not suit you.
- Wrist rest kit does not attach to the keyboard. It's just 2 pieces of rubber that move freely on your desk. Plus if you opt to use the provided tilt kit, the rubber is to high, using thumb keys becomes awkward.

I use the keyboard with standard flat keys. Keyboard laying down, flat, on the desk. I have ordered my first keyboard with the sculpted key caps but the shape is adjusted, in my opinion, for use in the strange tilt position. When using the keyboard laying flat the sculpted keys felt very awkward. Nowadays I would say my biggest issue is misplacing my hands on the keyboard without realizing it by touch. I am looking for some sort of key caps with braille to always know by feel which keys I am touching.