Author Topic: Hello from Kansas  (Read 1864 times)

Offline ChrisOrange

Hello from Kansas
« on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 06:53:05 »
New mechanical keyboard user.  Picked up a Ducky Shine2 a few months ago and I'm loving the red switches for gaming.  Not REALLY new since I still have an IBM model M with buckling springs but some keys no longer work due to the plastic stabilizers being old and fragile.  This is the smaller version of the model M that looks closer to modern mechanicals.

I also have a fascination with mice and gaming mice although I actually own very few of those due to being fantastically poor.  If I can ever get some collaborators that are into gaming then I want to work with them to test a mouse modification idea.  Personally I use only small mice and I think my biggest pet peeve is the old nerd's tale: "small mice are for small hands."  That's just not true if you are a finger-tip grip user.  In the case of finger tip users we want a small mouse for greater range of movement.  Big or odd shaped mice just get in the way for us.  Also I personally feel that moving wrist+fingers gives you more accuracy in games than moving your wrist+entire arm.

Anyways I hope to get involved on the forums and after I find a job: blow all of that money on keyboards and mice :c)

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Hello from Kansas
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 07:17:41 »
Welcome to GH,

When you say 'all' your money, alot of guys on here spent about 2k over the last few weeks lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 07:22:19 »
Welcome to Wallethack,

When you say 'all' your money, alot of guys on here spent about 2k over the last few weeks lol

FTFY!  :p

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:32:07 »
Welcome!

I've been looking for a Ducky Shine 2, but haven't found one with my optimal choices for LEDs and switches.  Bought a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Green switches to tide me over, but still looking for a good full-size mechanical keyboard with green LEDs...

:-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 14:54:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Mouses can be discussed here.  There are lots of people who are waiting for your ideas :)

And also a few who might be able to suggest a fix for your Model M.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 20:08:42 »
Welcome!

I've been looking for a Ducky Shine 2, but haven't found one with my optimal choices for LEDs and switches.  Bought a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Green switches to tide me over, but still looking for a good full-size mechanical keyboard with green LEDs...

:-)

The trigger has Green LEDS?! I thought it just had red...

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 15:48:08 »
The CM Storm Trigger I ordered with Cherry Green switches, the LEDs are still red.  According to the CM representative on the board, they are considering a future release with green LEDs, but not in the near term.

I think I'll end up with a Ducky Shine for the green LED goodness, but they've recently announced some new models that might change my mind.  Why have just one LED color, when you can have seven colors?  And eight different Cherry switch types?

http://www.heavy-arm.com/product.php?id_product=371

Not sure if this is aimed at the OCD segment of gamers, or the perennially indecisive, either way it's got my attention.   :))