Author Topic: Used vs brand new Vintage Blacks  (Read 1245 times)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
Used vs brand new Vintage Blacks
« on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 09:15:03 »
Previously I installed vintage blacks with Gold Syryan 55g springs on my board with switches obtained from a NIB WYSE. They were perfect, everything I imagined a linear Cherry MX should be.

Now I am trying used vintage blacks that I bought with Originative 62g springs on the Cheat. These things, while feeling very smooth, feels like it is lacking the "pop" from the brand new switch. With 55g originative springs, it feels very mushy, which prompted me to replace everything with 62g springs.

Unfortunately, since I have sold the KMAC away, I can't make a direct comparison anymore. Everything is from memory.

I wonder what is the cause of this. I suspect the Cheat might have something to do with this because of 2 reasons in comparison to the KMAC. The plate is just closed instead of secured with screws which adds a bit of wobble. Next, the distance between the Cheat PCB and the bottom aluminum is far, and even with the nonslip mat in place, it does not tighten everything in place compared to what the KMAC does. Is it due to it being used and dirty, or does the Cheat change the key feel slightly?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 09:19:51 by kaiserreich »

Offline jonathanyu

Re: Used vs brand new Vintage Blacks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 09:31:07 »
it's hard to imagine your feeling with the switch. But in my opinion, just like keycaps will get shine as the time goes by, switch will also come smoother.  Also the dust that in the switch will affect the feeling

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:21:09 »
It depends a lot on the keyboard itself how the switches feel. Especially if the PCB is floating and has no support it tends to feel mushy. It's one of the things I dislike about many plate mount keyboards is that they have a dead feeling. Though if the switches are extremely broken in, towards end life of the switch the springs do get compressed and don't have as snappy of a rebound. But then you are using aftermarket springs... which I have not tried but obviously they will change the feeling.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:24:20 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:26:45 »
I have tried to add an additional non slip mat at the bottom of the Cheat which holds it in place better.
This does improve the key feel but still cannot replicate the feeling of a board that has the plate screwed down.

So I guess it's not the switch. For the dusty switch, I can feel that the actuator leaf is slightly affecting the slider a bit. Simple solution is to replace the switch itself.

But nothing can solve a non secured plate other than drill into the aluminum itself. Can't keep what I can't use. Such a shame really, since it is a really nice keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:37:24 by kaiserreich »

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 02:44:54 »
About 55g springs I prefer Cherry Blue SW spring.