Author Topic: which keys did you remap  (Read 8124 times)

Offline pyro

which keys did you remap
« on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:32:49 »
I've been struggling with the default function key placement and remapped some of them. I'm sure I missed some ideas, so I'd like to know which keys you rearranged.

Here's what I did on a dvorak layout:
  • i <=> u (lots of "ei" in german)
  • tab <=> backspace
  • capslock => ctrl
(ctrl + backspace deletes the last word, btw)
and a somewhat odd one:
  • Lctrl (the bottom one) => Lshift
to be able to press shift with the knuckle of my left pinky (which mostly sits right on top of it anyway)

So, which keys did you remap?

PS
How to remap keys on Windows:
- use Autohotkey (which I find very useful, but might be too complicated for a non-programmer)
- download and install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, then run remapkey.exe, rearrange keys with drag and drop, save, reboot
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:41:18 by pyro »

Offline TacticalCoder

which keys did you remap
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:38:12 »
Quote from: pyro;388918
capslock => ctrl

It's been my only remapping since years but now I'm considering remapping a key to act as a new modifier and that modifier would only be used to deal with virtual desktops and windows manager shortcuts (hence not interfering with any program).  Someone set up something like this here and it works on several operating systems and that is just sweet : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline pyro

which keys did you remap
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:43:54 »
Sounds nice, can you provide a link?

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
which keys did you remap
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:48:09 »
When I hold Caps Lock my Endurapro switches into into kind of Optimizer mode: J K L I become arrow keys, U and O becomes page up and down, Y and P become Home and End (moving to top and bottom document), H and ; become Home and End (moving to beginning and end of the line), N M become select word before, select word after, select line to beginning, select line to end. When in Optimizer mode all LEDs (replaced to RED) glow, they also all glow when I press both mouse buttons - that's when track point changes into 2D scrolling mechanism.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Chobopants

which keys did you remap
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:49:26 »
In windows I remap left Windows key to nothing and capslock -> control.

In OS X I also do capslock -> control but also swap the Alt and Command keys so they're in the same location as on a Mac keyboard.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Johannes

which keys did you remap
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 15:57:32 »
capslock => ctrl

Offline Findecanor

which keys did you remap
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 16:46:24 »
Caps Lock => Control, under both Windows and Linux.

This caters to an old habit since the Amiga days, but these days I use the other Control keys sometimes also.

Offline Tony

which keys did you remap
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 23:28:18 »

Capslock -> Backspace.

That's the default for Colemak layout.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
which keys did you remap
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 23:36:38 »
pyro
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline sordna

which keys did you remap
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 00:15:07 »
Quote from: czarek;388936
When I hold Caps Lock my Endurapro switches into into kind of Optimizer mode: J K L I become arrow keys, U and O becomes page up and down, Y and P become Home and End (moving to top and bottom document), H and ; become Home and End (moving to beginning and end of the line), N M become select word before, select word after, select line to beginning, select line to end. When in Optimizer mode all LEDs (replaced to RED) glow, they also all glow when I press both mouse buttons - that's when track point changes into 2D scrolling mechanism.

Are all these functions built into the Endurapro? Or did you do them with some software? Please provide more info, sounds really neat.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
which keys did you remap
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 03:53:59 »
Quote from: sordna;389186
Are all these functions built into the Endurapro? Or did you do them with some software? Please provide more info, sounds really neat.

Nope Endurapro is just a regular keyboard with trackpad. All these have been programmed in ControllerMate. Quite simply though. 2 mouse buttons disable real mouse and enable virtual one which maps mouse axis into mouse wheel actions (a bit tweaking done here to make it smooth, accelerate etc.). Optimizer mode works the same way, when you press control normal keyboard layout is disabled and only keys mapped in a new layout work (single keys or combination of keys like cmd+shift+left arrow to select all to beginning of line).
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Aznguyen316

which keys did you remap
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 05:21:54 »
Quote from: Chobopants;388937
In windows I remap left Windows key to nothing and capslock -> control.

In OS X I also do capslock -> control but also swap the Alt and Command keys so they're in the same location as on a Mac keyboard.

I've done the same in osx plus I did ctrl(caps lock) + wasd to the arrow cluster on my poker

Offline sordna

which keys did you remap
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 10:01:14 »
I'm doing something similar in Linux with xmodmap, when I hold down AltGr (or Caps Lock) I have mapped IJKL to be arrow keys, and when I additionally hold down shift, they become mousekeys (move the pointer).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline AUAnonymous

which keys did you remap
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 01:38:33 »
This is how I have my AutoHotkey script set up:

Caps Lock > Control
Control + Pause > Caps Lock

If Scroll Lock is on, the Windows key is disabled when pressed on its own, but still works for key combos like Win + R.

Specifically for my Choc Mini, I have mapped Media Previous > Media Play/Pause because the Mini lacks the play/pause button and I never use the previous button.

Bonus hot strings!
@g > @gmail.com
Q_Q > ಠ_ಠ
Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Blacks) - First mechanical keyboard :D
Why don\'t you give Colemak a try? You\'ll like it, I promise.*

*Not a real promise

Offline TacticalCoder

which keys did you remap
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 11:13:28 »
Quote from: pyro;388930
Sounds nice, can you provide a link?

Took me lots of time to find it, I was sure it was another user that had that setup.  It's by the user "Superfluous Parentheses", here's the post (I'll probably start a thread about this in particular because the idea is really elegant):

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?18847-Towards-an-Ideal-GNU-Linux-Xorg-HHKB-Keyboard-Layout&p=362829#post362829
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

which keys did you remap
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 13:21:43 »
Quote from: ripster;389932
Somebody should do a Autohotkey/OSX/Linux-Xmodmap wiki.

+1 agreed...  But that one I quoted above ain't just about how to remap using AHK / OS X / Xmodmap.

What "Superfluous Parentheses" did is an entire custom setup that is working identically on both OS X and Linux (and can probably be made to work as is on Windows) where he's assigning an additional modifier only for "window managing" as to be sure not to interfere with any software.

It's quite an elegant solution IMHO and it goes further than just knowing how to use AHK : )

Offline molto

• http://www.friv.gs
which keys did you remap
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 07:53:08 »
@sordna
Can you share your xmodmap config please. I'm looking for a way to map Super (or Alt) + IJKL to arrow keys. Does this work with other modifier keys? I mean if I press Ctrl+Super+I it should produce Ctrl+Up, and if i press Ctrl+Shift+Super+L it should produce Ctrl+Shift+Right.
Thanks.
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 | y8 | kizi | y8 | y3  | y8 | pogo

Offline sordna

which keys did you remap
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 11:21:51 »
Here you go, with this setup you hold down Caps Lock or right Alt and you get normal arrows for IJKL and shift works too (for highlighting). It has some extra stuff like compose key or the Caps Lock thing that you can remove.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh -x
# Run script without arguments for a 2nd layer on the Poker,
# or with any argument to reset back to default.

setxkbmap -option
if [ &quot;$#&quot; -gt 0 ]; then
  setxkbmap us
  exit
fi

# Choose a keymap that has an extra layer (level 3),
# add compose key (shift+ralt) and caps lock toggle by pressing both shifts:
setxkbmap 'us(altgr-intl)' -option lv3:ralt_switch_multikey,shift:both_capslock

# menu to grave/tilde:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 135 = grave asciitilde grave asciitilde'

# rwin/super to altgr:
xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Super_R'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 134 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key'

# caps to altgr (shift+caps locks it!):
xmodmap -e 'remove Lock = Caps_Lock'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 66 = ISO_Level3_Shift ISO_Level3_Lock'

# numpad (just the keys needed for mouskeys)
xmodmap -e 'keycode 31 = i I i I Up Up'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 44 = j J j J Left Left'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 45 = k K k K Down Down'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 46 = l L l L Right Right'

# that's all folks

Offline Kibibit

which keys did you remap
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 11:40:38 »
I've tried a few remaps, but the only one I found consistently useful was remaping:
left win -> mute
right win -> Vol. Down
program -> Vol. Up

Now if only I knew how to hard wire this into a keyboard.

Offline Rajagra

which keys did you remap
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 13:14:11 »
For most of my keyboards I do this:
Scroll Lock » Windows, in case I plug in a board without one.
Caps Lock » Backspace.
Right Alt » a layer shift for Autohotkey.
Right Ctrl » Right Alt (Alt Gr) needed for Colemak or UK layout.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37270[/ATTACH]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
which keys did you remap
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 13:30:10 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:13:41 by davkol »

Offline canthonytucci

which keys did you remap
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 14:23:37 »
I use a mac, and use the OS tool to remap modifiers, for other keys I use keyremap4macbook http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/ I have been trying to find a good way to use vim key bindings but so far I havent been able to find anything really comfortable. My usual set up is:

Caps Lock => Control
Modifier closest to spacebar => Command on OS X, Control on Linux
Modifier 2nd closest to space => Option (alt)

Nothing too exciting I suppose.

lately I have been trying out right-option + h/j/k/l for left/down/up/right it works ok, but it's not ideal. I also have been trying to teach myself to avoid the Delete/Backspace key and just use ctrl-h, but I am forgetting pretty often, I may have to disable backspace entirely if I'm ever going to learn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline enoy21

which keys did you remap
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 15:09:31 »
Quote from: Findecanor;388954
Caps Lock => Control, under both Windows and Linux.

So what do you guys do when you need to YELL IN GAME like :

OMG SOFLAM IS UP CAN I GET A JAVALIN THROWN PLX ?

or

OMG JAVALINS ARE OUT CAN I GET A SOFLAM PLX ?

or

OMGOMGOMGOMG KEEL THAT MOTHER $^$%#$%

just curious
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
which keys did you remap
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 15:15:16 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:13:20 by davkol »

Offline enoy21

which keys did you remap
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 15:18:14 »
OH !

I mean ...

.... oh.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline erw

which keys did you remap
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 18:09:52 »
Quote from: enoy21;488150
So what do you guys do when you need to YELL IN GAME like :

OMG SOFLAM IS UP CAN I GET A JAVALIN THROWN PLX ?

or

OMG JAVALINS ARE OUT CAN I GET A SOFLAM PLX ?

or

OMGOMGOMGOMG KEEL THAT MOTHER $^$%#$%

just curious

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37287[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline sordna

which keys did you remap
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 19:08:49 »
Yup, both shifts toggling Caps Lock is in my script as well:

I always found Caps Lock useful, and recently found out that so does the typing champion Sean Wrona (look for Caps Lock in this link)

Offline Rajagra

which keys did you remap
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 21:26:58 »
CapsLock would be great if you could tap it once to capitalize just one letter, or tap twice to lock it on (after which one tap would return to normal.)
Could be done in AutoHotKey I expect.
For now I just use the option for CapsLock to be turned off by pressing Shift.

Offline Kibibit

which keys did you remap
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 21:30:41 »
I'm just too accustomed to just locking down on a shift key while typing for all caps.

Offline canthonytucci

which keys did you remap
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 21:32:01 »
I was just thinking the same thing earlier today when using my phone,  that behavior is way better.

Has anyone tried this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pyro

which keys did you remap
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 04:53:22 »
Do you mean Sticky Keys in Windows?
I'd like them more, if they'd time out after some seconds, but thats something that can be implemented with Autohotkey:

Shift::
Input key, L1 T2
SendInput +%key%
return

Input: captures all typed text input
key: variable, that contains the text
L1: maximal length for text: 1
T2: capture times out after 2 seconds

%key%: gets value in variable key
+: sends following keys shifted (like shift was held)
+%key%: sends the captured (lowercase) character as uppercase

This script behaves as regular shift when used in combination with other keys (shift+a , b = Ab) (shift down, abc, shift up = ABC), unless you press it alone (shift, a = A).

Offline enoy21

which keys did you remap
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 07:06:55 »
Quote from: Kibibit;488350
I'm just too accustomed to just locking down on a shift key while typing for all caps.

That's pretty much what I've been doing all of my life, but I've seen several typists that use the caps lock just to capitalize a single letter as it allows their hands to maintain the same level of reach as normal without having to STRETCH to do so.  So I've been trying to force myself to use it more often when typing all in caps.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Rajagra

which keys did you remap
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 09:25:02 »
Quote from: pyro;488531
Do you mean Sticky Keys in Windows?
I'd like them more, if they'd time out after some seconds, but thats something that can be implemented with Autohotkey:

Tried Sticky Keys - it's very annoying:
  • It does Shift lock, not Caps lock. Hence marks a selection when you click somewhere, etc.
  • It activates Ctrl, Alt and Win as well as Shift. Useful for disabled people; less so for typists. Leads to all kinds of strange actions.
  • It's easy to activate by mistake - causes above problems to arise often.
  • The on-screen display of status is hard to interpret (which blocks are Ctrl, Alt and Win?)
  • I'm testing it on my laptop right now. It causes deafening beeps, even when the volume is at absolute minimum. WTF? Even when its sound checkbox is off (still beeps when it deactivates when you press two keys at once!)

The setting I use is this:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37316[/ATTACH]

Your AHK script might be useful. Maybe when triggered by Caps Lock instead of Shift. (If I can bring myself to unmap that key.)

Offline spremino

which keys did you remap
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 09:39:54 »
Caps Lock -> Esc
Bottom row: Caps Lock - Alt - Ctrl - SPACE - Ctrl - Alt - Menu  - Win
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline pyro

which keys did you remap
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 10:02:01 »
Quote from: Rajagra;488631
Tried Sticky Keys - it's very annoying: [...] Your AHK script might be useful. Maybe when triggered by Caps Lock instead of Shift. (If I can bring myself to unmap that key.)

That's why I don't use Sticky Keys.

You can map the script to any key you want, just enter its name before "::"

Capslock::
Input key, L1 T2
SendInput +%key%
return

Note that you probably should shutdown Autohotkey while gaming.

Offline derpdederp

Re: which keys did you remap
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 08:31:44 »
Here you go, with this setup you hold down Caps Lock or right Alt and you get normal arrows for IJKL and shift works too (for highlighting). It has some extra stuff like compose key or the Caps Lock thing that you can remove.

#!/bin/sh -x
# Run script without arguments for a 2nd layer on the Poker,
# or with any argument to reset back to default.

setxkbmap -option
if [ &quot;$#&quot; -gt 0 ]; then
  setxkbmap us
  exit
fi

# Choose a keymap that has an extra layer (level 3),
# add compose key (shift+ralt) and caps lock toggle by pressing both shifts:

# menu to grave/tilde:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 135 = grave asciitilde grave asciitilde'

# rwin/super to altgr:
xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Super_R'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 134 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key'

# caps to altgr (shift+caps locks it!):
xmodmap -e 'remove Lock = Caps_Lock'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 66 = ISO_Level3_Shift ISO_Level3_Lock'

# numpad (just the keys needed for mouskeys)
xmodmap -e 'keycode 31 = i I i I Up Up'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 44 = j J j J Left Left'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 45 = k K k K Down Down'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 46 = l L l L Right Right'

# that's all folks

It is kind of a pain in Linux. Any idea why the up arrow on the kinesis is the only key that the default layout gets wrong? Still trying to figure out how to fix this with xmodmap.

Offline TacticalCoder

Re: which keys did you remap
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 18:18:51 »
It is kind of a pain in Linux. Any idea why the up arrow on the kinesis is the only key that the default layout gets wrong? Still trying to figure out how to fix this with xmodmap.

Holy thread necro'ing!  Wow.  And I posted in this thread in... 2011!

I'm not sure xmodmap is the way to go anymore. I'm using "xkb" since many years now. I've got a sweet setup, where I use the "Hyper" modifier + ijkl to send arrow keypresses. It's really nice because it works everywhere you can use the arrow keys (which is really nearly everywhere as far as I can tell). I've got a japanese keyboard (HHKB JP) just so I can get many modifiers (and still have Topre switches) and I used xkb to configure one the modifier to be "Hyper". I also have a "Super" modifier and that one is exclusively used by my window manager: so these shortcuts can never interfere with any program.

But whatever: you may have more luck with xkb than with xmodmap.

And once again: nice necro'ing : )