Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mecha-01 - Project Mecha-0X GB Live!  (Read 275779 times)

Offline FU11.META1

[IC] GMK Mecha-01 - Project Mecha-0X GB Live!
« on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 07:49:13 »

Pre-order on: 10th July - 7th August

Welcome to the IC for GMK Mecha-01. Inspired by the stunning colors and form of a giant mech. This Set features bold neon colors, Katakana legends and minimal icon modifiers that invoke the aesthetic of a heads-up display inside of a futuristic fighting machine.

MiTo has joined the fight to save humanity! The team at NK_, MiTo, and I have been working diligently to bring you the best possible set. MiTo’s new Katakana dual and mono legend designs as well as his original Micon design have taken my original vision for the set to the next level of what we can offer…

Vendors:

US : Novelkeys_ : novelkeys.xyz     CA : DeskHero : deskhero.ca

UK : Prototypist : prototypist.net     EU: My Keyboard : mykeyboard.eu

ASIA : zFrontier : zfrontier.com     AUS : Daily Clack : dailyclack.com

Price:

Base Kit--------125
Berserk---------115
Extras------------52
Novelties--------65
Spacebars------30

All renders by : MiTo

The set will be double-shot with 2 custom colors and 3 stock GMK colors:

P : 267 C
G : 802 C
B : CR
R : R02
O : V2

FAQ:

Q: Why the name change?

A: For legal reasons we felt it necessary to have a name with less potential conflict with any existing IP.

Q : Why Katakana legends?

A : While MiTo and I were discussing the potential of Micons joining the set, he suggested for the set to offer his brand new Katakana dual and mono legend design. I jumped at the opportunity to bring something fresh to the keycap community. The molds for these keys have not been made yet. The best part is that MiTo has graciously made these for the community to use in future sets and we are excited to see what other designers can do with them!

Q : What happened to the novelties?

A : Many of the original designs were not able to be manufactured by GMK. MiTo and I collaborated on the new novelty kit including the community chosen favorite! All new novelties tolerances were already checked, verified, and are doable.

Q : When and where can I buy?

A : Scroll up!

Special Thanks:

To everyone who has helped me along this journey and has supported me along the way.
Abec, Nephlok, MiTo, the team at Novelkeys_, all of the amazing vendors, and anyone else I might be forgetting.
Couldn't have done it without this awesome community!

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2020, 15:35:31 by FU11.META1 »

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
Re: [IC] GMK Kaijū
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 07:52:53 »
Probably better marketed as an EVA-01 themed set.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 08:55:25 »
Oh this looks cool!  And your 40's support already sold me!
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:29:41 »
Ooohh man this is a pretty sick set. Judging from the name the novelties are gonna be pretty radical too, yeah?  ;D

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:50:08 »
 :thumb:

Offline iaman

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:15:57 »
It may just be an issue with the renders, but I feel like going with a slightly lighter grey for the alphas would help the purple legends pop a bit more; right now they feel a little bit muddy in terms of contrast. Overall I think this is a neat idea but the alphas could use a *little* bit more refining and dialing-in.

Offline DisplayERROR

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:37:23 »
I'm into it, think the purple on the legends can be brighter. Overall, great job!

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:56:02 »
Ooh, I like that.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:24:43 »
Not bad, though definitely would go with the EVA-01 theme like some others have mentioned, that actually makes sense here.  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 13:37:24 »
Neon Gelatinous Evangelism is already doing that though

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 13:41:20 »
Man I would dig some red on purple alphas like in your avatar

Offline jakl

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 15:09:31 »
+1 for the brighter gray.

How would the mods look with neon yellow instead of green?

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 15:29:11 »
This is really nice, the purple accents remind me when eva 01 goes "berserk". Eva theme would be fitting, but is that other eva set even gonna run?

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 18:06:37 »
Probably better marketed as an EVA-01 themed set.

Not bad, though definitely would go with the EVA-01 theme like some others have mentioned, that actually makes sense here.  :thumb:

This is really nice, the purple accents remind me when eva 01 goes "berserk". Eva theme would be fitting, but is that other eva set even gonna run?

The original inspiration for the set is from a vintage Japanese Godzilla toy box.

Not my image but I do own it. I played around with these colors for a while until I finally settled on the neon green, violet, red combination and then realized I just made a very EVA looking set. The colors definitely lend themselves to the NGE theme and I was already planning on some novelties. In my opinion NGE is pretty much anime kaiju anyways.

+1 for the brighter gray.

How would the mods look with neon yellow instead of green?

Yellow and violet is getting too close to Lakers/Vikings for me but I will see what it looks like.

I'm into it, think the purple on the legends can be brighter. Overall, great job!

I will consider a lighter grey before a brighter purple, GMK 2B maybe? I really love that deep violet color and the space bars would look amazing.

It may just be an issue with the renders, but I feel like going with a slightly lighter grey for the alphas would help the purple legends pop a bit more; right now they feel a little bit muddy in terms of contrast. Overall I think this is a neat idea but the alphas could use a *little* bit more refining and dialing-in.

This could be an issue with my renders or like others have said the grey might be too dark. I'm very new to 3D rendering so the lighting might not be perfect.

Ooohh man this is a pretty sick set. Judging from the name the novelties are gonna be pretty radical too, yeah?  ;D

Thanks! Yes, right now my ideas are:
-Big eyes to make your keyboard look like a Kaiju
-Some NGE themed
-Alert symbols
-That thicc Japanese type

Man I would dig some red on purple alphas like in your avatar

Will take this into consideration, It would be pretty cool, although a whole set of that might be a bit eye bleeding.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 18:30:33 »
echoing the brighter shade of purple for the legends.

also the purple and red looks amazing on the esc key.

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 22:31:35 »

Can anyone confirm or deny if this set is still happening? Don't want to step on any toes but the sets are very different and the IC for that looks dead. Considering re-branding.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 23:12:50 »

Agree 100%, legends are a little hard to read now. I think a little lighter on the Alphas could help a lot.

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 00:14:17 »
Looks great. I’m into it.

Offline jakl

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 01:17:01 »
I will consider a lighter grey before a brighter purple, GMK 2B maybe? I really love that deep violet color and the space bars would look amazing.

GMK 2B might still be too dark for the purple to pop out. Below is an example of Epbt Slate, which used a similar color to B2 for alphas. You can see the comparison in the first picture.
The second picture is actually the same color but taken in full light, the keycaps didn't look like that in any other pictures with different lighting conditions. I think a lighter gray, like the one in the second picture, would mesh really well with the purple.

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 02:22:53 by jakl »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:14:15 »
conflict color but very interesting.
wait for further info.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:54:20 »
Right when I thought I was done buying keysets...

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 10:38:27 »

Can anyone confirm or deny if this set is still happening? Don't want to step on any toes but the sets are very different and the IC for that looks dead. Considering re-branding.

I wouldn't worry about Neon Gelatinous Evangelism. Your set is not in the least bit like it, and that one looks like it is on hold anyway.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 21:30:20 »
Godzilla/Eva themes make this more of a winner. Have to echo the contrast of the alphas as well.

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 01:20:38 »
I think legibility will be fine tbh, sets always seem to pop more irl compared to renders for me.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 06:10:32 »

I would at least try to reach out to donutcat (he's been pretty inactive for awhile) -- it can't hurt. It sure looks like it's pretty much dead in the water though.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 15:21:21 »
I wish sets this cool would be run in PBT, I cannot stand ABS

Also, donutcat's set looks absolutely nothing like this. You don't need his approval.

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 22:38:24 »

I would at least try to reach out to donutcat (he's been pretty inactive for awhile) -- it can't hurt. It sure looks like it's pretty much dead in the water though.

Also, donutcat's set looks absolutely nothing like this. You don't need his approval.

I will be trying to run this either way and I agree that I don't need approval for the colorway, more so I was wondering for the sake of not having 2 of the same themed sets running at similar times.

I was open to running this through epbt but I was informed that they don't have the molds for a lot of popular 40% keys, and I'm a bit of a 40% fanatic so it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

That being said, thank you all for the positive and constructive feedback. I have learned a lot over the weekend and taken in all the comments here and in the IC form so far and I will be making some pretty big revisions to the set:

UPDATE 01:

-GMK Kaijū is now pending it's name, while I do have a strong connection to this subject and name, its been blasted into my ear about how much this reminds them of a certain anime and I certainly agree and that was somewhat on purpose. Since there doesn't seem to be any issue within the community that this be an EVA 01 themed set, I would like to lean harder into this theme and separate the project from the name and specific theme of Kaijū. I intend to give the community the NGE themed set it deserves as I am a big fan of classic anime and it is already a favorite of mine.

-Over the weekend I have been dialing in my renders to try and show more accurate colors and lighting conditions to give a better idea of how the set will look in reality as opposed to how a computer program wants it to look. I found out that the colors in my renders have been over saturated, too bright and poorly lit as the highlight were on the side of the cap not the top. I agree with the comments that the grey and violet I chose may make the text illegible or muddy. I made some new renders using a brighter purple Pantone that will match closer to EVA 01 and the lighter grey GMK 2B. Examples and comparison to old set will be below. These still probably are not 100% accurate but I'm trying to improve my render skills every day. Let me know what you think!

-When I first made the set my main intention was just to make a cool looking set I would like to see on my keyboards. I was not aware of how GMK does their kit pricing based off the number of colors in kits, therefore I will need to make some big adjustments mainly to the base kit in order to keep the price down. I am proposing a different accent key that uses purple and green. There will be an example below. However since people really like the original accent keys that are reminiscent of EVA 01's awakened form, I would like to propose an extra kit that includes the purple and red accent keys and possibly alternate alphas in the same color. Below will be an example of both.

Old Color/New Color
PANTONE Violet C/PANTONE 267 C

PANTONE Cool Gray 11 C/GMK 2B according to keyboard-layout-editor.com

Old Colors

New Colors

Purple/Green Accents

Awakened Alphas With New Colors

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 22:45:42 »
Love those awakened alphas

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 22:50:36 »
awakened alphas are great

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 22:59:55 »

I will be trying to run this either way and I agree that I don't need approval for the colorway, more so I was wondering for the sake of not having 2 of the same themed sets running at similar times.

I was open to running this through epbt but I was informed that they don't have the molds for a lot of popular 40% keys, and I'm a bit of a 40% fanatic so it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

That being said, thank you all for the positive and constructive feedback. I have learned a lot over the weekend and taken in all the comments here and in the IC form so far and I will be making some pretty big revisions to the set:

UPDATE 01:

-GMK Kaijū is now pending it's name, while I do have a strong connection to this subject and name, its been blasted into my ear about how much this reminds them of a certain anime and I certainly agree and that was somewhat on purpose. Since there doesn't seem to be any issue within the community that this be an EVA 01 themed set, I would like to lean harder into this theme and separate the project from the name and specific theme of Kaijū. I intend to give the community the NGE themed set it deserves as I am a big fan of classic anime and it is already a favorite of mine.

-Over the weekend I have been dialing in my renders to try and show more accurate colors and lighting conditions to give a better idea of how the set will look in reality as opposed to how a computer program wants it to look. I found out that the colors in my renders have been over saturated, too bright and poorly lit as the highlight were on the side of the cap not the top. I agree with the comments that the grey and violet I chose may make the text illegible or muddy. I made some new renders using a brighter purple Pantone that will match closer to EVA 01 and the lighter grey GMK 2B. Examples and comparison to old set will be below. These still probably are not 100% accurate but I'm trying to improve my render skills every day. Let me know what you think!

-When I first made the set my main intention was just to make a cool looking set I would like to see on my keyboards. I was not aware of how GMK does their kit pricing based off the number of colors in kits, therefore I will need to make some big adjustments mainly to the base kit in order to keep the price down. I am proposing a different accent key that uses purple and green. There will be an example below. However since people really like the original accent keys that are reminiscent of EVA 01's awakened form, I would like to propose an extra kit that includes the purple and red accent keys and possibly alternate alphas in the same color. Below will be an example of both.

Old Color/New Color
PANTONE Violet C/PANTONE 267 C
Show Image

PANTONE Cool Gray 11 C/GMK 2B according to keyboard-layout-editor.com
Show Image

Old Colors
Show Image

New Colors
Show Image

Purple/Green Accents
Show Image

Show Image

Awakened Alphas With New Colors
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I really enjoyed the color variety, it sucks to see it reduced for the cost. It is a really big drawback of GMK. For the awakened set, I would consider some green keycaps with black or purple legends, if that still keeps cost down.

I don't know how Sanctuary Rebirth is getting reverse dye-subbed, but Dymloslouire might. I figure PBT sets with dye-subs are generally cheaper regardless of color, but I have no clue how a lot of these sets are being run. I don't think KAT is an option for this set either, given the differences in legends and profile.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 23:13:36 »
oh my god yes

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 04:04:00 »
This set was initially all over the place as far as inspiration, color combinations, and color arrangements, and since you've narrowed your focus I'll just leave it at that.

That being said, I do have a few concerns on the set:
- Base kit ~ ISO (or lack of), excess amount of hamburger icons, both caps lock icons, a few lacking keys for 65%, and you're missing the appropriate furigana/rubi.
- Numpad kit ~ barred 1u zero

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:54:01 »
I'd be worried about the purple on gray contrast.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 11:08:58 »
I'd be worried about the purple on gray contrast.

I will continue to tweak colors if need be, waiting to see what people think of the new colors. Going to try and get a hold of a 2B sample.

This set was initially all over the place as far as inspiration, color combinations, and color arrangements, and since you've narrowed your focus I'll just leave it at that.

That being said, I do have a few concerns on the set:
- Base kit ~ ISO (or lack of), excess amount of hamburger icons, both caps lock icons, a few lacking keys for 65%, and you're missing the appropriate furigana/rubi.
- Numpad kit ~ barred 1u zero

Base kit - ISO enter is there, I'm not trying to open another debate here about this and some people would rather not see the enter at all. I don't think hamburger icons are excessive, they only add more options to what icons you use on your bottom row and add a key for ortho layouts if people really have a problem with too many hamburgers I can change the icon to something else. One caps lock key is stepped which is a standard key for most base kits hard to tell cause it's black.

Not sure what keys I'm missing for 65% layout, please expand on that. Hiragana legends aren't missing anything, I put it together based on the molds that already exist and this layout is most pleasing to me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 04:06:19 by FU11.META1 »

Offline corydora

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 11:28:53 »
Base kit - ISO enter is there, I'm not trying to open another debate here about this and some people would rather not see the enter at all.

I'd say you'd be better not bothering with ISO at all, than with just ISO enter and no 2/" 3/£ '/@ #/~ or \\|

Better to have a seperate ISO or Nor-DE-UK kit. As an ISO user I would prefer that to a bastard ISO-ANSI mashup.

Also, sweet colours, I really like this and would be interested if there was a true ISO-UK option.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 11:55:03 »
Pogchamp
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:13:48 »
Those alternate alphas :eek: this set is a must

Offline b3nkei

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:13:41 »
Would be awesome if there was an option to get also purple with red modifiers. Looking really good so far.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:30:00 »
This set seems so random, chaotic and it does not match at all... but I kind of like it...

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 22:27:22 »
every time i come and look at this set i want it more.

Offline nattapatl

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 01:49:55 »
YES!

Offline Pluto19

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 02:45:59 »
Base kit - ISO enter is there, I'm not trying to open another debate here about this and some people would rather not see the enter at all. I don't think hamburger icons are excessive, they only add more options to what icons you use on your bottom row and add a key for ortho layouts if people really have a problem with too many hamburgers I can change the icon to something else.

Fair enough.

One caps lock key is stepped which is a standard key for most base kits hard to tell cause it's black.

I'm not talking about stepped vs. non-stepped caps. I'm talking about the inclusion of one arrow icon (and the absence of its stepped option) and two purse icons. Which one have you chosen or are you actually offering both icons? On top of that, if you are offering both icons, I'd reckon the inclusion of the stepped arrow is in order.

Not sure what keys I'm missing for 65% layout, please expand on that. Hiragana legends aren't missing anything, I put it together based on the molds that already exist and this layout is most pleasing to me.

Numpad kit has the barred 0 key already.
You're missing compatibility for the other most common far right columns. Legends are indeed missing correct furigana/rubi. If you're going for the Mito route (aesthetics over accuracy) that's totally your prerogative. I'm aware of the inclusion of the barred zero, but why is that even there?

Edit is emboldened.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:02:51 by Pluto19 »

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:04:15 »
The barred 1u numpad zero should just be a normal 1u zero for the 1800 layout (and others), right?

Offline Pluto19

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:23:02 »
The barred 1u numpad zero should just be a normal 1u zero for the 1800 layout (and others), right?

With this user's IC, I honestly have no idea what the barred 1u zero is for. Literally, never seen it before lol

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:41:43 »

With this user's IC, I honestly have no idea what the barred 1u zero is for. Literally, never seen it before lol

Oh I see, sorry that's a mistake, I realize now you were pointing it out. Ill change that soon, overhauling the kits is my next priority.

As for the ISO keys, Its going to be too risky to run a seperate kit for it since a set like Jamon could only sell 37 kits, and its not really fair to everyone else to add every ISO key necessary so I'm trying to come up with a good compromise if anyone has any ideas, someone suggested making up some new alternative ISO legends.

I'm not talking about stepped vs. non-stepped caps. I'm talking about the inclusion of one arrow icon (and the absence of its stepped option) and two purse icons. Which one have you chosen or are you actually offering both icons? On top of that, if you are offering both icons, I'd reckon the inclusion of the stepped arrow is in order.

Ok, I see what you mean now. As far as the icons go Ill be refining them, right now there are 3 caps lock icons 2 locks and one down arrow, I will probably stick with 2 down arrows one stepped and replace the lock icon with a control icon. Thanks for pointing this out.

You're missing compatibility for the other most common far right columns. Legends are indeed missing correct furigana/rubi. If you're going for the Mito route (aesthetics over accuracy) that's totally your prerogative. I'm aware of the inclusion of the barred zero, but why is that even there?

For the Hirigana legends, the entire set is pretty much going for an aesthetic route over accuracy. Since I don't really agree with the aesthetic messiness of furigana/rubi I will be leaving it out.

I will look into the keys I'm missing for 65% layouts I'm still unsure of what you mean since there should be enough 1u mods to fit the right columns.

Edited: Didn't see your response above.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 04:41:37 by FU11.META1 »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 11:20:38 »
Those alt alphas oh lawdy
Really like the direction you're taking the set based on feedback while staying true to the initial design idea  :thumb:

Offline Battouseye

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 12:09:25 »
Awakened alpha's is the way.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 16:02:24 »
Oh my gaahhh! I literally think this is the most perfect keycap set I have ever seen in my entire life, you did such an amazing job!
I'd 100% instantly buy it if when comes out!

Edit: alsow it would be great if you'd have it on EU vendors like candy keys f. e. too!

Thank you !!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 04:05:29 by fabijolo »

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 16:20:01 »
excited to see icon mods!

Offline Uleet

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 21:26:25 »
Great work! Awakened alpha's are on point! Is there a way we could add awakened modifiers? OOOOOF that would be good to. Wish I knew how to help with this.