Author Topic: [GB] GSKT-00 (Shipping almost finished, 80% done)  (Read 943874 times)

Offline Esheu2

Re: [GB] GSKT-00 (QC-ing, sorting)
« Reply #1150 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 15:01:07 »
weaston was active as of July 29th. Couldn't be bothered to post an update here since April, though.

weaston, it is your obligation to post updates to this GB thread. Even if the news isn't positive, even if it's just an update to say that you've been busy and the work is delayed - you are holding people's funds and owe them an explanation.

This reminds me of The Office episode “Scott’s Tots” when the entitled kids tell Michael that he owes them lol

you like the taste of the mud on those boots?
Ojou

Offline catamscott

Re: [GB] GSKT-00 (Waiting on gaskets)
« Reply #1151 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 19:39:45 »
very much appreciate the update! i can only imagine how difficult it is to balance a personal life (with all it's inevitable ups and downs), work life, and then a 300-unit group buy at the same time. i'm floored by runners who are able to consistently handle high moq gb's with lots of complexity. i'm sure we all ultimately appreciate the time and effort you've put into making this gb happen, and i know we all can't wait to get our hands on our gskt's. fingers crossed for some good news at the end of the month  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1152 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 19:51:59 »
Man. People in here so nasty. The fact that people felt Weaston was "pressured" or "shamed" successfully into giving an update is laughable. Clearly he just had stuff going on in his personal life but finally got around to giving an update that were still waiting. Which I guess is good?

Has this gone smoothly, no. But people need to just chill and relax a little. And remember that the going price for 60s now is $500+. And they still can experience year plus delays. Should be relieved that we'll still eventually get this board. Hopefully people will at least stop whining for a bit.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #1153 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 21:31:25 »
Man. People in here so nasty. The fact that people felt Weaston was "pressured" or "shamed" successfully into giving an update is laughable. Clearly he just had stuff going on in his personal life but finally got around to giving an update that were still waiting. Which I guess is good?

Has this gone smoothly, no. But people need to just chill and relax a little. And remember that the going price for 60s now is $500+. And they still can experience year plus delays. Should be relieved that we'll still eventually get this board. Hopefully people will at least stop whining for a bit.

💯

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1154 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 23:39:29 »

This is a bad take.

Mod asked Weaston to provide an update and he did.

Offline Quriosity

« Reply #1155 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 00:39:40 »
Many thanks for the update Weaston, greatly appreciate it.

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #1156 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 01:14:11 »

This take is exactly what's wrong with the community. Running a Group Buy, no matter what pricing or quantity, comes with responsibilities.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1157 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:00:10 »

This take is exactly what's wrong with the community. Running a Group Buy, no matter what pricing or quantity, comes with responsibilities.
Meh. I get that. Some handle it better than others. Just tired of the wild speculation and people who didn't even get a board coming in here to thread crap. Imo that's the part of the community that's exhausting.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1158 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:06:07 »

This is a bad take.

It probably is a bad take. Moderation is just hit or miss here. And some stuff that gets a pass is just dismal. Just big doubt that mod pressure got us an update over friends reaching out. If he hadn't logged on for so long and had personal stuff going on I'm highly doubtful mod pressure is what brought him back over the reaching out of friends.

If anything cheering this on just reinforces toxic complaining and counter complaint for results. And if any delayed buy  experiences this in a thread it's probably not worth visiting.

« Reply #1159 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:10:01 »

This is a bad take.

It probably is a bad take. Moderation is just hit or miss here. And some stuff that gets a pass is just dismal. Just big doubt that mod pressure got us an update over friends reaching out. If he hadn't logged on for so long and had personal stuff going on I'm highly doubtful mod pressure is what brought him back over the reaching out of friends.

If anything cheering this on just reinforces toxic complaining and counter complaint for results. And if any delayed buy  experiences this in a thread it's probably not worth visiting.

But it is what happened lol...

Mod said to update an a hour later he did...

Weird coincidence? I don't know but it seems like "friends" been reaching out for awhile an he didn't give a f lol.

Cmon, stop.. You're making me cringe lol.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1160 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:12:51 »

This is a bad take.

Weird coincidence? I don't know but it seems like "friends" been reaching out for awhile an he didn't give a f lol.

Cringe away bro. Lul. I can only relay what I know from talking to him personally and knowing that an update was coming.

Offline zekth

« Reply #1161 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:26:06 »
The more i read this thread, the more i see "friends" and people speaking to weaston personnaly.

On the other hand everyone is still starving on updates.

Glad to see an update on this, i just hope the next one will be soon with a start shipping notification

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1162 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:33:36 »
The more i read this thread, the more i see "friends" and people speaking to weaston personnaly.

Glad to see an update on this, i just hope the next one will be soon with a start shipping notification

I mean don't get me wrong. He should have definitely updated prior to this. To at least combat those who were saying he was running with the money and crap like that, but also because it's the right thing to do for a GB. I'm not excusing that. Just how nasty some people got, in a year when delays have happened to pretty much everything, and occasionally people have had to deal with some serious personal issues.

But we have our update, time to wait a bit longer. Good news is that they're still coming. Some other GBs have not been so lucky. For someone running a GB personally of around 300 boards, I'm sure if he had known the impact covid would have caused, this public buy likely never would have happened.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2021, 06:35:07 by Zeelobby »

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #1163 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 08:13:56 »

I mean don't get me wrong. He should have definitely updated prior to this. To at least combat those who were saying he was running with the money and crap like that, but also because it's the right thing to do for a GB. I'm not excusing that. Just how nasty some people got, in a year when delays have happened to pretty much everything, and occasionally people have had to deal with some serious personal issues.

But we have our update, time to wait a bit longer. Good news is that they're still coming. Some other GBs have not been so lucky. For someone running a GB personally of around 300 boards, I'm sure if he had known the impact covid would have caused, this public buy likely never would have happened.

Even a message detailing the delays going on would've prevented those comments, but it took until now to get something...

Hoping for the best with this GB, we do seem to be on the final stretch. Echoing others before, have the cerakoted boards been sent in by now?

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #1164 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 08:28:37 »
So what’s the over-under on this shipping in about a month? I think I’ll take the over. Just happy it sounds like they’re actually going to come.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #1165 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 09:13:18 »
Future readers of this thread, the lesson to be learned here is that only giving updates when there is "good news" is a terrible strategy that will end with people losing faith in your competency as a designer. All the people saying "it could be much worse" are tone deaf IMO. Buyers deserve prompt, regular updates. A lifeline to show that a project is still under active development.

I have the deepest respect for Weaston, and think GSKT-00 is a fantastic looking project, but there's no doubt that the majority of the buy post-sale has not met the standards the community should reasonably expect. As people we should always focus on mental and physical health, and to not let this hobby of ours get in the way of leading a full, functional life. However, with the amount of money the community has poured into this project (and others) there is a real obligation to see this project through, and to accept the responsibility when things don't go perfectly. If you end up in a position where "personal issues" end up affecting your ability to deliver on a project, it is irresponsible to go silent.

This latest update is an opportunity for Weaston to get back on track and I'm hoping lessons can be learned all around.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #1166 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 10:43:20 »

Meh. I get that. Some handle it better than others. Just tired of the wild speculation and people who didn't even get a board coming in here to thread crap. Imo that's the part of the community that's exhausting.

You know what's exhausting? Seeing GB after GB threads where runners ghost for months at a time. Runners that are sitting on literally 10's of thousands of people's hard earned money. And then people just give them a pass like this is normal business practice.

Make no mistake that if you are choosing to run a GB, you are choosing to run a business. Business owners don't ghost their stakeholders without consequences. If you decide to turn your hobby into a business, you need to treat it as such. Set your personal life aside and complete the task you're given.

It would've taken 10 seconds to say "I'm waiting on O-rings. Things will be delayed until they come in." Then hit copy and paste it once a week to let people know where things stand. Boom, liability covered, people know what's up, no speculation is needed and people may be a little bugged, but at least they don't feel like someone ran off with their money.

Again, treat your business like a business. Bad news comes right along with the good. Customers deserve at least a status update instead of business owners just disappearing. GB runners do not deserve passes.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #1167 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 12:21:40 »
Doesn't make sense for anyone to say buyers are overly entitled. They paid for their spot, they should be entitled. It is not hard to take 30 seconds to post a "waiting" update when you have hundreds of people memeing your post - to willingly ignore the months of users complaining and trashing your project thread / name, in order to stick to "only important updates" doesn't do anyone any favors, especially the GB runner himself. Now, he had personal issues so not going to guess on that.. but it's weird to defend a GB run in this way. Sure some may have had knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes, the majority did not and were in the dark.

Offline goobafish

« Reply #1168 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 12:44:35 »
Maybe we shouldn't pile on the criticism and let him focus on delivering the product, which it sounds like is happening, albeit slow.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1169 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 12:50:33 »

If we use "Some other GBs have not been so lucky." as our measuring stick for success, then stop framing it as a group buy and more of a "donation with chance of gift" instead.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1170 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 12:51:56 »

This is a bad take.

Cringe away bro. Lul. I can only relay what I know from talking to him personally and knowing that an update was coming.

The irony that people shouldn't complain about not getting updates while getting updates through private channels.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #1171 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 12:58:58 »
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1172 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 13:17:53 »
Show Image

Yup, we need about 20 more posts in here beating this to death. Gonna be fun

Offline carlanthony

• DIVINIKEY INC.
    • Divinikey Inc
« Reply #1173 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 13:19:58 »
Future readers of this thread, the lesson to be learned here is that only giving updates when there is "good news" is a terrible strategy that will end with people losing faith in your competency as a designer. All the people saying "it could be much worse" are tone deaf IMO. Buyers deserve prompt, regular updates. A lifeline to show that a project is still under active development.

I have the deepest respect for Weaston, and think GSKT-00 is a fantastic looking project, but there's no doubt that the majority of the buy post-sale has not met the standards the community should reasonably expect. As people we should always focus on mental and physical health, and to not let this hobby of ours get in the way of leading a full, functional life. However, with the amount of money the community has poured into this project (and others) there is a real obligation to see this project through, and to accept the responsibility when things don't go perfectly. If you end up in a position where "personal issues" end up affecting your ability to deliver on a project, it is irresponsible to go silent.

This latest update is an opportunity for Weaston to get back on track and I'm hoping lessons can be learned all around.

I definitely agree with this. Outside of private buys and small runs, larger releases should move toward reputable vendors (whenever possible) who's livelihood revolve around what this GB was lacking: fulfillment, customer service, & regular project updates. I see this making it easier for not only the designer but also for GB participants.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see that this is moving forward and that we have something to look forward to *soon*. We're almost there y'all!!

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1174 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 13:51:13 »
Show Image

Yup, we need about 20 more posts in here beating this to death. Gonna be fun

Kicks hornet's nest. Gets upset hornets fly out.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1175 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 13:59:56 »
Lol. I'm not upset. I think it's funny. People have been beating the horse in here for a month. Everyone knows the problem. Lack of updates. Everyone knows the response. An update. But I expect at least 10 more posts about how to properly run a group buy at least.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1176 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:16:14 »
Maybe we shouldn't pile on the criticism and let him focus on delivering the product, which it sounds like is happening, albeit slow.

I don't think you need to be concerned for Weaston here, though I'm sure he appreciates it - the replies that are addressing him directly are actually mostly (all?) positive after his latest update, if anything the dead horse that's currently being beaten is the fact that there's a couple strange people enabling previously bad behaviour for some reason. I have no problem with this, I think it's fully deserved.

The hypocrisy that DukeEsquire pointed out where someone is saying "bro lol it's fine this is all good can u guys chill ur so mean" when at the same time admitting they know the runner personally and are in contact with them to the point where they were aware that an update was coming all along is actually hilarious. No surprise that there was no response there considering it's completely indefensible but at least have the decency to just exit the thread at that point.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1177 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:28:27 »

I don't think you need to be concerned for Weaston here, though I'm sure he appreciates it - the replies that are addressing him directly are actually mostly (all?) positive after his latest update, if anything the dead horse that's currently being beaten is the fact that there's a couple strange people enabling previously bad behaviour for some reason. I have no problem with this, I think it's fully deserved.

The hypocrisy that DukeEsquire pointed out where someone is saying "bro lol it's fine this is all good can u guys chill ur so mean" when at the same time admitting they know the runner personally and are in contact with them to the point where they were aware that an update was coming all along is actually hilarious. No surprise that there was no response there considering it's completely indefensible but at least have the decency to just exit the thread at that point.

I mean, I don't think it's too crazy to want to let the GB runner actually post an update himself without just posting info told in private. I get people not wanting to out private conversations *shrug*. Most of the people in this current convo weren't the ones I was referencing as being mean anyway. I specifically stated non-buyers coming in to thread crap, etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:31:08 by Zeelobby »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1178 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:45:28 »
I mean, I don't think it's too crazy to want to let the GB runner actually post an update himself without just posting info told in private. I get people not wanting to out private conversations *shrug*. Most of the people in this current convo weren't the ones I was referencing as being mean anyway. I specifically stated non-buyers coming in to thread crap, etc.

So basically what you're saying is you were looking for information and felt concerned to the point where you wanted to contact the runner personally in order to ask what was going on with your keyboard that you paid for but when others complain about the same things you were worried about because they wanna know what status of their that they paid for then it's (in your own words) "funny" that they're "beating a dead horse"? Seems kind of unfair and hypocritical.

I understand your main point here is that there are people who aren't a part of the GB (myself for example) typing in the thread and potentially clogging it with random bull**** but surely you understand why it comes across as extremely patronizing for those that are in not in the same but a far worse perceived situation than you are, given the fact that you're both in the same GB yet you know personal information that you extracted from Weaston yourself and they're left on read rotting away on Geekhack for 8 months?

Anything that's posted that can even remotely qualify as enabling behaviour as has been seen (or rather, not seen) on the part of GB runners like the one here will always be met with hostility, and again, for good reason.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1179 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:51:14 »

So basically what you're saying is you were looking for information and felt concerned to the point where you wanted to contact the runner personally in order to ask what was going on with your keyboard that you paid for but when others complain about the same things you were worried about because they wanna know what status of their that they paid for then it's (in your own words) "funny" that they're "beating a dead horse"? Seems kind of unfair and hypocritical.

I understand your main point here is that there are people who aren't a part of the GB (myself for example) typing in the thread and potentially clogging it with random bull**** but surely you understand why it comes across as extremely patronizing for those that are in not in the same but a far worse perceived situation than you are, given the fact that you're both in the same GB yet you know personal information that you extracted from Weaston yourself and they're left on read rotting away on Geekhack for 8 months?

Anything that's posted that can even remotely qualify as enabling behaviour as has been seen (or rather, not seen) on the part of GB runners like the one here will always be met with hostility, and again, for good reason.

But I'm not enabling him. I'm disappointed with the delays and lack of comms as well. Never have I said he should get a free pass. I'm sorry if people are taking it that way.

One just has to wonder if maybe people view themselves as being in an even ****tier perceived situation because there are so many outsiders wandering in and spelling doom.

Rukia is a good example. It's definitely had a rocky road. But I don't feel the need to go into the GB thread and add fuel to the fire.

I don't think anyone here is dissolusioned enough to believe the way updates have been handled on this have been even par for what a group buy should be. At this point everyone knows that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2021, 14:53:47 by Zeelobby »

Offline jpg2401

« Reply #1180 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 16:03:35 »
GH threads should not have this many pages guys
Savage 65 | GSKT-00 || Valhalla | X60 V2

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1181 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 16:06:22 »

Is this post the GH equivalent of getting stuck on a list-serv and replying all to "Unsubscribe"?

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #1182 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 16:43:16 »
Remember that time, about 17mo ago, when a group buy started that took GH down? That was fun.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #1183 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 17:11:14 »
Remember that time, about 17mo ago, when a group buy started that took GH down? That was fun.
Those were the days. What a scramble

Offline rikercd

« Reply #1184 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 21:20:03 »
Those were the days. What a scramble

Scrambling to find the server and ultimately the link within that server for this buy was some of the most fun I've had trying to join a GB yet. I think the end result will be worth it.

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #1185 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 17:23:06 »

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1186 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 20:48:37 »
Show Image

Hey all,

I apologize for not posting sooner.  I have had a lot going on in my personal life and haven't really had the time or energy to make an update.

The wait has been because of waiting on gaskets. [...] I genuinely think they will be here by the end of this month. In accordance with that hopeful timeline, you will see me reaching out and doing all the address changes and requests. I have been getting boxes and packing materials together and am anticipating starting shipping as soon as the gaskets show up.

In the meantime, I really am sorry for the wait and I am hopeful this is the last update I will have to make before shipping starts.

Offline L8T

« Reply #1187 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 21:42:06 »
Since we are only waiting for gaskets I can assume the cerakoted units are done right? RIGHT?

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #1188 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 02:15:23 »
Since we are only waiting for gaskets I can assume the cerakoted units are done right? RIGHT?

One would hope so. Wish he would just ship out the boards to people who can source their own orings/gaskets since it seems easy to get.

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #1189 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 14:25:08 »
I genuinely think they will be here by the end of this month.

OK, well, it's the end of the month. Any word on the gaskets?

you will see me reaching out and doing all the address changes and requests.

Curious if anyone has had their changes/requests handled yet.

And still no word about cerakoting.

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #1190 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 19:36:41 »
Man..when/from were the gaskets ordered? Been waiting on them for nearly 4 months now?

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #1191 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 19:56:12 »
Here we go again... Who's supplying the popcorn?!

Offline pool

« Reply #1192 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 15:37:07 »
:puts popcorn in the microwave:

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #1193 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 17:50:05 »
i have a gut feeling this gb will remain stagnant and we'll hear nothing for the rest of the year

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #1194 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 18:01:59 »
Single core GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1195 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 22:05:34 »
The idea that this GB is delayed for 4-5 months because of o-rings is tough to imagine.

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #1196 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 22:16:33 »
The idea that this GB is delayed for 4-5 months because of o-rings is tough to imagine.

Is it really though?

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1197 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 22:25:11 »

Is it really though?

I tried really hard to imagine it and I couldn't.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #1198 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 00:20:09 »

Is it really though?
Yes. Absolutely. It's not unexplored territory, people have been easily able to find 60% orings for almost a year now for their tofu mods.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #1199 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 00:26:03 »
I think it's interesting that he has no interest/response to the people that are happy to take their order without the o-ring. You'd think that he'd be glad to get some boards out the door to folks. Given the number of boards that people ordered, I have to imagine that it's taking up a lot of space in his house.