Author Topic: Lexmark M13 "used" in box, more than 10 available $175 OBO, low shipping  (Read 22942 times)

Offline Rayndalf

I really hope no one heavily invested in M13s hoping they'd appreciate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1403380-LEXMARK-IBM-TRACKPOINT-KEYBOARD-FOR-DESKTOP/124275298889

So I uh... saw this listing on Deskthority and offered $140 a piece for 2 (so $280, so with shipping and tax $318). The madman of a seller actually took it, so go out there and get a better price than me and buy one before I make a terrible decision and buy another.

Offline JP

Re: Lexmark M13 "used" in box, more than 10 available $175 OBO, low shipping
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 12:30:46 »
I bought the same board NIB from Cindy of Electronics Plus: https://elecshopper.com/en/ for about $99. She might have some more of these stashed away. The downside is this one has a serial connector for the Trackpoint so there is a little extra trouble in converting.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 14:12:58 »
Also funny enough this M13 sold for $285 plus shipping.  :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-IBM-LEXMARK-USA-M13-Keyboard-Trackpoint-II-92G7461-MINT-IN-OPENED-BOX/353191128610?epid=74107043&hash=item523bd4ee22:g:OfkAAOSwG-dfUTsw

Well it is newer (dual PS/2 instead of DIN (AT probably) and serial), and people love getting original retail packaging.

I'm going to try to internally convert one of these so that it's one plug (serial -> USB and AT -> USB, with each USB -> small USB hub)

Do M13s have any quality or reliability problems I should keep an eye on?

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 17:03:12 »
Do M13s have any quality or reliability problems I should keep an eye on?

Possibly...check this: https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=IBM_M13_Y-Cable_PS/2_Family

"The M13 controller produces a great deal more heat than a standard Model M controller. The reason for this is that the M13 controller is actually comprised of a total of three controllers; the matrix controller for the keyboard, the TrackPoint II controller, logic and translator for the TrackPoint, and the PS/2 passthrough controller segment. All production M13 controllers are covered by a metalized cardboard heat shield. While removal of the heat shield is unlikely to damage the controller itself, it will damage the lower chassis, which is M13 unique.

Repairs to the M13 controller should only be performed by people with extensive soldering experience. Replacement parts cannot be sourced for the TrackPoint elements. Common problems with M13 controllers include capacitor aging, cable damage requiring cable replacement, and worn matrix contacts."

Also I know that the plastic of the top case is thinner than usual (at least in certain places) to accommodate the unique controller of this board and so is a bit more prone to damage from abuse such as blunt force trauma.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 15:09:54 »
They were shipped in the original shipping boxes, and the one I opened hadn't been opened before.

Other than a split cord it's perfect. Has anyone had any luck internally converting one (AT -> USB and Serial -> USB and both USB to a small USB hub)?

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 23:17:49 »
Lovely. You can't beat that NIB experience. It's a shame the models with fixed cables seem to be notorious for cracking due to age. I've not actually opened mine as I have another similar M13 is used but nice condition. I wonder how many this seller actually as I see a total of 4 have sold and there are 10+ available yet. This should at least help those looking for something NIB without having to fork over $300+.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 00:54:24 »
i am wondering if importing it to france would be worth it (+100 usd) i mean i already have a few Unicomp PC122 and one Lexmark M122 so the question is how good the track point is?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 16:38:39 »
i am wondering if importing it to france would be worth it (+100 usd) i mean i already have a few Unicomp PC122 and one Lexmark M122 so the question is how good the track point is?

I'm beginning to regret buying two (still haven't ordered a converter for them so I can't comment on the trackpoint quality). I'd be happy to sell you the sealed one for what I paid ($159) + shipping.

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 01:06:03 »
tbh if i buy anything in that kind of budget i will need to wait to see how much money i have left at the end of the month
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 01:56:42 »
tbh if i buy anything in that kind of budget i will need to wait to see how much money i have left at the end of the month

I can relate, I definitely regret buying 2 of them. Just let me if/when you want one.