Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage 2 Keyboard -- adaption question  (Read 6407 times)

Offline thecoffeeguy

Kinesis Advantage 2 Keyboard -- adaption question
« on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 14:59:37 »
Hey folks. I have a question regarding users of the Kinesis Advantage 2 keyboard.
Quick note, I did cruise the forum, came across this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61619.0

But did not see what i was specifically looking for.

I bought a Kinesis last week, plugged it in and gave it a whirl. I bought this for the comfort and the idea of protecting my hands/arms/shoulders.
Obviously, there is retraining of the brain, which I am fine with.

However, one thing I am looking advice on is proper ergonomic setup WITH the Advantage. Meaning, how should this be setup in relation to my desk, chair, hands etc.
Since the keyboard sits higher, how should I position my desk heigth? How about chair height? How should my hands "fall" on the keyboard? On the desk?
Does that make sense?

I feel like i am missng something to be more comfortable when I am typing on the Kinesis. I feel like i need to adjust something as I feel a little soreness on my tendon on the bottom of my wrists (tendinitis is what I am feeling). Could it be because I am using muscles and movements I have never used before?

I love the keyboard feel. It will take some time to get used to it.

Just looking for feedback on others experiences and adjustments.

Thank you.
TCG

Offline Sniping

Re: Kinesis Advantage 2 Keyboard -- adaption question
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 17:00:50 »
I've been using a kinesis advantage 2 a good amount for work. I like to keep it in my lap with a trackpad in the middle so that I don't have to lean forward at all. I lean back in my chair, have a foot rest and keep my arm rests low enough that it supports my forearms and elbows while I use the keyboard in my lap. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

Offline thecoffeeguy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 10:17:02 »
I've been using a kinesis advantage 2 a good amount for work. I like to keep it in my lap with a trackpad in the middle so that I don't have to lean forward at all. I lean back in my chair, have a foot rest and keep my arm rests low enough that it supports my forearms and elbows while I use the keyboard in my lap. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

That is super helpful and gives me a bit of a visualization.
I am working my setup right now, getting the right feel down and proper 'flow'.

Good thing is, i started out on 15 WPM first day with this....now i am backup to 70. Hitting all the characters for coding is taking a little longer, but i love the keyboard.

Much appreicated!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 15:44:18 »
i forgot how long i've had my kinesis, i would have said just use proper ergonomic structure, sit up straight, have screen at arms length and 90 degrees at most bends.

now, imo, as long as youre not a slouch and develop into a hunchback, it doesn't matter how you sit imo, get comfortable

and you have to force yourself to use the kinesis for hours on end to retrain your brain, after a few years i can finally say,

yes i'm used to the wierd arrow keys and actually like it now...

in fact i had to buy new pads for my kinesis, this is my second or 3rd set, and pretty nasty.