geekhack Community > Off Topic

Absolute MINIMUM Xercise ?

<< < (3/4) > >>

kurplop:
Kavik—it seems that Pontzer’s research focuses on the human body’s adapted response to additional physical stressors (activity) to total daily calories burned. To a degree, this is confirmation of what has been suspected for years despite claims made by some health and fitness charlatans. One’s unique  natural hormonal response seeks homeostasis with its set programming. This is most easily foiled by artificial intervention ranging from caffeine to methamphetamines. A slow but healthier alternative is consistent good nutrition combined with a balanced lifestyle. I think you’re right when you say that exercise is a better calorie burning  alternative to stress.

I would be cautious about ignoring weight gain though. Metabolic disease, brought on by poor diet and activity level, is a greater pandemic (in the US) than Covid. Diet is a bigger factor in weight loss than exercise, though the body has an adaptive response (ghrelin/leptin) to that also. It seems that in the game of maintaining a healthy bodyweight, the deck is stacked against us.

tp4tissue:
Did some googln', Pontzer is also featured on Dr. Gundry,   which is the same branch of social media that promotes things like "Cholesterol is healthy" , " Cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease."

The danger of the health guru scene is that it's full of "half truths" which seem convincing

Kavik:

--- Quote from: kurplop on Tue, 25 January 2022, 07:51:41 ---I would be cautious about ignoring weight gain though. Metabolic disease, brought on by poor diet and activity level, is a greater pandemic (in the US) than Covid. Diet is a bigger factor in weight loss than exercise, though the body has an adaptive response (ghrelin/leptin) to that also. It seems that in the game of maintaining a healthy bodyweight, the deck is stacked against us.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I know. I just know that my current life circumstances are not conducive to dieting. I have lost significant weight in the past, so I know how to do it, and I also know that it takes 100% mental commitment over a long period of time to do it, which I do not have now. So I'm just going to take advantage of it and set some lifting PRs. For some reason body weight equals strength even if a lot of it just fat, which I don't fully understand.

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Tue, 25 January 2022, 08:49:14 ---Did some googln', Pontzer is also featured on Dr. Gundry,   which is the same branch of social media that promotes things like "Cholesterol is healthy" , " Cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease."

The danger of the health guru scene is that it's full of "half truths" which seem convincing

--- End quote ---

I don't think he should be dismissed via guilt by association. But I haven't vetted him myself. I am only aware of him because he was on the Barbell Medicine Podcast, whose two hosts are medical doctors who are so evidence based that they take very little for granted, almost annoyingly so. So I am doing the opposite and giving him the benefit of association. From what I remember, he did primary research for this rather than just interpreting other studies. But I should just read it myself before I go defending it.

Although I don't think exercise is a great weight loss strategy, my preferred cardio is bicycling because it's easy to do for long sessions and it's easy on joints. For lifting, I like the big three movements (bench press, squat, deadlift) to keep the joints healthy and strong.. As someone else mentioned, overuse injury is a concern for any repeated exercise (especially running, and especially with bad form, and especially if you're overweight). What's the minimum? The American Heart Association says 150 minutes per week, which would be about one 30 mile bike ride once per week, which doesn't sound like enough to me. I would say doubling that would be a good start. In my experience, only really, really long cardio sessions assisted weight loss, so 60+ miles on the bike per week, split between one or two rides, and/or 7+ miles of running per week, split between one and three runs. Running really sucks if you're already heavy though.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Kavik on Tue, 25 January 2022, 15:54:06 ---I don't think he should be dismissed via guilt by association. But I haven't vetted him myself. I am only aware of him because he was on the Barbell Medicine Podcast, whose two hosts are medical doctors who are so evidence based that they take very little for granted, almost annoyingly so. So I am doing the opposite and giving him the benefit of association. From what I remember, he did primary research for this rather than just interpreting other studies. But I should just read it myself before I go defending it.

--- End quote ---

It's hard these days,  for example that Dr. Gundry is also a medical doctor, and former heart surgeon.  THIS GUY,  is telling people to eat cholesterol.

So....the point is you can pay people to say anything.  Look at fox news,  they even have a bunch of black people news anchors on there promoting trump and the republican party.

I mean, If you betray your entire race like that, for money, after all those years of civil rights and slavery, and all of the current republican's racist dogma..  That's just... ....

IDK, do they get their black license revoked ? It's pretty insane.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Tue, 25 January 2022, 21:05:54 ---
If you betray .... for money .... That's just ....

--- End quote ---

What makes the billionaire puppet masters happy to get out their checkbooks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version