geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unicomp 122-key "battleship" buying+config guide | not a review

(1/1)

43615:
For anyone interested in getting a new battleship in 2022, I believe to have found the perfect solution!

DO NOT buy a Unicomp PC-122.
The problem is that it outputs multi-key sequences for back tab, new line, F13-F24 and some of the LHS function keys. This makes those keys IMPOSSIBLE to remap without losing the ability to use that combination manually.

Fortunately, Unicomp also make "terminal" battleships, apparently for use with the original IBM terminals. However, these variants are hidden inside their custom configuration tool: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/KBDCFG, Chassis: Terminal 122-3270 and 5250.
These variants seem to work like their vintage counterparts and output unique scancodes for each key.

I went with the 122-5250 variant with a PS/2 connector, since I already had a matching Soarer's Converter from orihalcon (https://www.ebay.com/itm/282575686221). The other connector options should work as well, but I obviously haven't tested those.

The fact that I'm writing this on it means that this setup works perfectly!

SC config show and tell:
(PERSONAL OPINIONS AND CHOICES BELOW THIS POINT)
I've named it "Kirov" since mine has Russian legends. Also because of a certain game series.
Swapping the keycaps around is a bit harder than with MX mounts. Gently lift them out with a thin screwdriver or pocket knife, make sure the spring is centered when reinstalling.

* Fix \
* ISO extra key > second lshift
* Cross nav > lifted T-nav + RWin
* Fix the numpad, left-to-right-to-bottom: Pause Bksp / * - + Enter
* LHS cluster:
PrtScr Esc
Sel0 Shift+Tab
Sel1 Sel2
Sel3 Sel4
Menu LWinThe "Sel" keys activate different layers (0 resets it to base, only one is active at a time). These are mostly meant for custom remaps/macros on F13-F24.
The attached config file contains layer definition stubs (ifselect X). The dummy entries (UNASSIGNED is the null scancode) are necessary to make the config work for some reason. Remove those when adding real remaps/macros.

Tactile:
If you have an interest, here's how I dealt with a keyboard giving out multiple keypress codes.

43615:
I did consider using layers, but that's only a viable option when dealing with obscure combinations like the mentioned F9+A &c.
The side effect is that when you "absorb" a prefix key, you can no longer input that combination when you actually want to. Losing F9/10+letters isn't a big deal, but the Unicomp PC122 uses Shift+Tab as well as Ctrl+Fx/Shift+Fx (source: https://support.pckeyboard.com/download_attachment.php?kb_att=55).

One fix I thought of is to differentiate it using timing, since the keyboard's multi-key output is near-instant but a human's isn't. That would definitely require some software like AHK, introducing an extra point of failure and making the setup non-portable.
At this point, it's far easier and less problematic to get a keyboard with unique single scancodes, which is fortunately an option in this case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version