Author Topic: Das Keyboard Silent with "WASD Keyboards" keycaps  (Read 4432 times)

Offline kingqway

Das Keyboard Silent with "WASD Keyboards" keycaps
« on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 13:46:34 »
Hi guys,

This is my first post here although I've been a forum lurker for about a month now. Sorry if I'm creating a bad thread, but after looking through a bit of searches there doesn't seem to be any tutorials on this specific thing. Anyways, great forum and thanks for all the tutorials and information you guys worked on here!

In anycase, I've been looking for just standard colored keycaps when i finally came upon WASD keyboards and bought some of their keys. Just for the free shipping, I decided to get extra keys in the shift, enter, & backspace, etc etc keys on top of WASD & some other random ones. I didn't realize until a few days ago when I started looking up tutorials on how to remove the keycaps & all the cleaning and installing, that the shift keycap for the Das & bigger keys, and the keycaps for the new Leopold FC500R I just bought (both browns by the way :D) are different. For example, the enter key for the Leopold had two what seemed like black stabilizers flanking the cherry mx brown switch in the center. I mean, I looked up the tutorials, so I now know what exactly they are, however, since Das Keyboards uses the wire-stabilizers, do you guys know if WASD Keyboards sells their keycaps with wire-stabilizers in mind, or just the two switch stabilizers like the ones in the Leopold FC500R?

The reason I didn't bother posting this in the WASD Keyboards section was because my other main question would be that in the event that the WASD keyboard keycaps I already purchased arrive and they aren't "compatible" with the das keyboard stabilizer, are there any tutorials or any ways in order to re-configure the WASD keycaps so that they are compatible with the stabilizers on the DAS? Like removing the white insertion thing right underneath the shift key that you poke the stabilizer through on the DAS and putting it on the new keycap?

Thanks in advance for any response!
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown

Offline N8N

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 13:59:56 »
The keycaps you will get from WASD will not include any part of the stabilizers.  The stabilized keys will simply have three sockets on the underside of them, all of them the same (the one in the middle is for the key switch itself; the two outboard ones are for connection to the stabilizer.)  The Das uses Costar style stabilizers (same as Filco, WASD, etc.); the Leopold uses Cherry style stabilizers.  Other than the stabilizers themselves, the keycaps should interchange assuming that they are the same size and shape.  WASD does sell the little white things for the Costar style stabilizers seperately on their web site, but so long as yours are OK, you can remove them and use them on your new keys.  I'd recommend putting a swipe of white lithium grease on the moving bits before installing your new keys, to make them less rattly and smoother feeling (WASD does this to their full keyboards before shipping them.)

short answer - you'll be fine, and the keycaps will be compatible with both your keyboards, even though they use different types of stabilizers.

caveat - the Leopold uses a different spacing for the stabilizer posts on the space bar than does Filco/Das/WASD/pretty much everyone else, so if you want to change the space bar on your Leopold you will have to do a little modding.

Good luck!
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline kingqway

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 14:03:33 »
Okay, Thanks for the quick reply. hmm, I guess next time I should make sure I buy a couple of the Costar stabilizers next time. Thanks for the information, it was very helpful!

EDIT:

Actually, if anyone happens to read this re-edit, is it possible to do the vice versa for the Leopold keyboard? I kinda like the feeling of the das keyboard with the Costar & wire-style stabilizer as it makes a nice clackier sound once it bottoms out (or atleast I think thats the cause in the difference between sound) and I was wondering if its possible to remove the sockets on the leopold and switch it with the wire?

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 14:08:02 »
You really don't need them, unless you break something.  The old ones will pull out of their sockets, you may need some gentle encouragement with pliers, but that's about it.

If you're near DC-land, I have a bag of them - needed to order some because I bought a used Filco and told the seller to keep the keycaps (I am swimming in Cherry keycaps, which I prefer to the taller Filco ones,) and I bought enough to fill out my order so as to get free shipping.  (I figure I'd rather have leftover parts for the same money, than pay for shipping)

WASD sells the wires as well, if you need them - the only thing they don't sell is the black clips that go into the plate - I don't know where you can buy those separately for a reasonable price.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline kingqway

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 14:21:58 »
Ah, I see now ~_~. Well, if I don't need to buy them I guess I should be fine. I live up in New Jersey, if you're referring to DC as Washington DC haha. Thanks a lot for the help again. But yeah, I guess I'll just lurk around and see if anything comes up with the black clips for the wire stabilizers. I guess the non-wire ones are cool too. I could use the distinguishing sound difference for now anyways, since both of the keyboards are browns.

Offline naranja

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:59:38 »
please post pictures! I am interested in how it'll look. thanks!