Author Topic: O-rings on SP doubleshots  (Read 2384 times)

Offline omuerte

O-rings on SP doubleshots
« on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:17:49 »
I got a handful of the novelty group buy SP doubleshots in the mail yesterday and noticed something when installing o-rings. I need to use 3 o-rings to dampen the esc key because there is no cross-hash molding on the bottom of the key like there is on oem keys. How do other people deal with this, multiple o-rings on SP keys or is there another method?
Click Clack

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:25:17 »
Your options are multiple o-rings / soft-landing pads, or thicker o-rings. You could also fill the bottom of the keycap with epoxy or something, but modding keycaps is not worth the hassle. You even make a shim out of cardboard or paper to put under the o-ring, but using multiple o-rings is probably the easiest method.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline omuerte

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:30:34 »
I have a pile of cheap 50A rings from mcmaster-carr here so I'll just use a couple of those to fill the space on SP keys then put whatever softness ring on the bottom for dampening. Thanks!
Click Clack

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 19:16:15 »
another SP fail...

Offline omuerte

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 19:24:04 »
Yeah, I see why people talk **** about their keys now - they really aren't that well made compared to the other options out there.
Click Clack

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 19:27:58 »
Quote from: omuerte;533501
Yeah, I see why people talk **** about their keys now - they really aren't that well made compared to the other options out there.

Its annoying how thinck the spherical panic key I got is. But all the other DS's are so thin.

Offline omuerte

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 20:11:23 »
It's almost worth epoxying an insert into the bottom to give them a bit of heft.
Click Clack

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 22:04:38 »
Epoxy or molten lead to reduce the switch activation force :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 06:41:24 »
Which keys are you putting the novelty caps on? They're all top row esc profiles, and since I hardly press those, I don't even put any O-rings on my SP caps. But if I did, just use multiple O-rings.