Author Topic: Place to get Front Printing on Keycaps  (Read 5383 times)

Offline khamer

• http://becauserobots.com
Place to get Front Printing on Keycaps
« on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:49:47 »
I checked the usual, but I didn't see any that mentioned this (or had examples on display.) Anyone know of a place I could get keycaps with labels printed on the front, other than stealing them off of some other board (like a filco ninja)? I'm thinking I want to get Comodore64 style keycaps made up (I saw the article on reusing actual keycaps, but I don't want to do that much work.) Thanks.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 16:34:45 »
That's only going to work for buying new keycaps... I would also be interested in anybody's input on front printing as a service.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 16:45:11 »
Quote from: sth;543654
That's only going to work for buying new keycaps... I would also be interested in anybody's input on front printing as a service.

other than stealing them off of some other board (like a filco ninja)?

I assumed he just wanted side printed keys. Not someone to custom side print keys.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 16:48:33 »
Oh, derp. I got that part about the commodore keycaps mixed up in the front-printing nonsense.

OP - lots of 37-sets on ebay, but I haven't had much luck with full sets.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 23:54:52 »
I think your bestbet is to just print up stickers and put them on the front (didn't someone here do that? I forgot the name, but the keyboard is enviable). I think I remember him saying that since the front of the key is never hit, then the somewhat fragile legends don't wear, and are safe.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 00:18:02 »
I've been fooling around with waterslide decals, just have been waiting on wear experiments before I post results. I've mostly been doing top printing, as a secondary legend (Russian Cyrillic) but have done some side print too. So far they are holding up OK with a clear coat. Without a coating it scratch off too easy. Side printing shouldn't be much of an issue, since you don't touch them really. It's a good cheap and do it yourself mod with as much flexibility as your imagination and your inkjet can make.

I would not mind doing some as a test group for a few people to see how long they last under different use patterns and people. If you have some 'spare' key caps you would like printed PM me. You would pay for both ways shipping, and materials cost of $2 for as many legends can fit on an A5 sheet. You must have a design ready, I am not going to do that for you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 00:39:55 by lysol »