Author Topic: Where to get a full set of single piece Model M type Keycaps?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline mattlach

Where to get a full set of single piece Model M type Keycaps?
« on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 18:09:10 »
Hey all,

I'm in need of a full set of single piece Model M style buckling spring keycaps.

I've been using Model M's for a long time, and they are what I love typing on.   I just got a new Unicomp keyboard, and I noticed something was wrong immediately.

The keyboard had more of a "clack" than the "click" I was used to and things just felt mushy and off.

While I can't remember exactly, as its been over 10 years since I used it, the sensation is a bit reminiscent of my old Dell with Alps switches from back before I upgraded to a Model M.

I poked around a bit and discovered that Unicomp for some strange reason has reverted to the old 80s Model M two-piece caps.

To confirm, I took some single piece caps off of my Lexmark Model M, and Ahh, things felt great again, but unfortunately they are tan and taupe and look hideous on a black keyboard.

Is there a good source of single piece Model M style keycaps anywhere?   I am particularly looking for dark grey or black caps, but they must have printed lettering on them...

I appreciate any input.

--Matt
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Re: Where to get a full set of single piece Model M type Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 22:20:49 »
I think I know what you mean.  My 3 SSKs (spanning 87-93) all have mostly one-piece keys.  They do feel a little different...more snappy.  I tend to prefer the 2-piece myself, but I also prefer my grease-modded Model M's.

Unicomp only sells the 2-piece keys for most of them.  A few of the mods are 1-piece, depending which model you get.  This may be so that they can easily stock more colors.

Have you considered gluing the two pieces together?  Ethylcyanacrylate ("crazy glue") bonds PBT well enough and won't be too flexible as to absorb too much feel.  Epoxy would also work.

If you are picking up such subtleties, you should note that the Unicomps will feel a little different no matter what you do.  They use a lighter backplate and different plastic formulations for the case.  The springs may also be slightly lighter (though opinions here vary).
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2012, 22:24:21 by rknize »
Russ

Offline mattlach

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 00:27:18 »
Interesting.  Thanks for that input.

Turns out I'd probably be more happy with actual Model M's in that case.

I'm just suffering from extreme beige fatigue.

I don't ever want to see that computer beige color again!

I used to use a M13 Trackpoint II as my main keyboard and I loved it, but a couple of years ago, I wore out the keycaps and it started looking really ugly.   I went shopping around for replacements and this was not easy.  I wound up getting the last set of white on black keycaps Unicomp had, and this only because one bag of them fell behind something else in the warehouse and got lost, and then they found it for me.

Ever since that, I've been babying that keyboard, as I know its not that common, and want to preserve it in pristine condition, keycaps and all.   For a while I was using my 52G9700 which has the same feel as the M13, but the beige was killing me, and then it suffered water damage from a ceiling leak.

RIP, great keyboard, especially considering I got it on eBay in 1999 for $7.50 plus shipping.

After testing a number of non-buckling spring boards I finally came to the conclusion that no Cherry switches are for me, and I remembered not liking the ALPS on my old Dell keyboard as much as my Model M's, so I ordered two Unicomps as replacements, expecting them to feel the same as my 52G9700, problem is they don't.

I'm hoping if I can get a set of solid keycaps I might get close enough so that I am happy.

Maybe I'll try your gluing idea.   Cyanoacrylate ought to do the job, and I think I have some of that kicking around here somewhere...

Thank you for your suggestions!

--Matt

IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 01:40:06 »
I think I know what you mean.  My 3 SSKs (spanning 87-93) all have mostly one-piece keys.  They do feel a little different...more snappy.  I tend to prefer the 2-piece myself, but I also prefer my grease-modded Model M's.

Unicomp only sells the 2-piece keys for most of them.  A few of the mods are 1-piece, depending which model you get.  This may be so that they can easily stock more colors.

Have you considered gluing the two pieces together?  Ethylcyanacrylate ("crazy glue") bonds PBT well enough and won't be too flexible as to absorb too much feel.  Epoxy would also work.

If you are picking up such subtleties, you should note that the Unicomps will feel a little different no matter what you do.  They use a lighter backplate and different plastic formulations for the case.  The springs may also be slightly lighter (though opinions here vary).
As far as I know, most of the coloured unicomp keys are two piece, but the grey set that came on mine was one piece, as was the full black set I got afterward. The grey/black looks great in a black case, and I'm liking the one piece keycaps.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 09:38:18 »
As far as I know, most of the coloured unicomp keys are two piece, but the grey set that came on mine was one piece, as was the full black set I got afterward. The grey/black looks great in a black case, and I'm liking the one piece keycaps.

Well, this must have changed then.   

All the normal square little keys on my Unicomp I just received are two piece.

The special keys (enter, alt, ctrl, etc.) are all single piece.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 12:13:41 »
You can always drop them an email and ask.  Last I heard, they said that all their caps were two piece.

If you want to lose some of the beige, the Model M innards will fit inside Unicomp's Classic style case.  They will probably sell you just the case for cheap.  They are nice that way.
Russ

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 20:37:18 »

Well, this must have changed then.   

All the normal square little keys on my Unicomp I just received are two piece.

The special keys (enter, alt, ctrl, etc.) are all single piece.
My keyboard was mfd in nov. 2010. The black one-piece keycaps I bought are less than three months old. I can pull the exact date if you want.

I'll straight-up trade you my one-piece alphanumeric keycaps for your metallic gray two-piece ones if you like. I believe their beige keycaps are two-piece, so if you have those, that's normal. All the beige 1x keycaps I've gotten have been two-piece.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 22:59:36 »
My keyboard was mfd in nov. 2010. The black one-piece keycaps I bought are less than three months old. I can pull the exact date if you want.

I'll straight-up trade you my one-piece alphanumeric keycaps for your metallic gray two-piece ones if you like. I believe their beige keycaps are two-piece, so if you have those, that's normal. All the beige 1x keycaps I've gotten have been two-piece.

Black ones?

Were they printed, or were they just black caps?   If I could get the black caps with printed white lettering again, I'd buy several sets.

When I last spoke to Unicomp about it, they told me they had discontinued them, and I bought the last set. :(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 08:41:32 »

Black ones?

The black ones are blank, and made excellent modifiers. They are, however, all one-piece.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 05:36:29 »
I recently got a rubber dome model M. Thought it was a clicky one, but too bad ^^ They have single piece keycaps though like the model F but they have an extra plastic part in the middle of the stem. With some easy modification I bet they can fit a buckling spring model M or model F keyboard. They are in the traditional cream color.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:40:55 »
Good grief!

2 hours of Dremel work - for what?

Unicomp or Clicky Keyboards will sell you a full set of keycaps for $30!

Sell the RD Model M on ebay. Be sure to disclose what it is, for the sake of honesty, and you can still get $15 or so for it. I have sold 2 that way.

"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 07:57:10 »
Sell the RD Model M on ebay. Be sure to disclose what it is, for the sake of honesty, and you can still get $15 or so for it. I have sold 2 that way.

That's the plan ^^