Author Topic: TG3 Electronics BL82 Review  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Conus

TG3 Electronics BL82 Review
« on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 03:34:11 »

Picked this bad boy up NIB on Ebay. I couldn't resist. The value was too great, a Deck 82 Ice (albeit with 2kro) for a third the price?! Yes pls. This one is the PS/2 version, which is far and away the most common. Supposedly there is a USB version as well according to TG3's website, but I have never seen one. It has 7 levels of backlighting with red LEDs, which are togglable by holding the Fn key + up or down arrow keys, or by holding Fn and hitting 1-7 to go directly to the desired level. First thing to note: The keycaps are all the same profile. I found this was no trouble at all to get used to. Some people complain about this tho. You can replace the keycaps with normal concave ones if you prefer those, though it may be tricky finding them in the correct sizes to fit this board.

This is what the backlighting looks like. The LEDs illuminate the legends more than anything else, which I find is rather nice. They do what they're supposed to and stay out of the way.

Second thing to note: A metal back cover. It's aluminum, not steel, but still. Not many keyboards sportin' metal back covers these days. If you think your Filco or Leopold has no flex, let me tell you about what no flex really feels like. This thing has plate mounted switches, a thick and deep plastic upper, and a metal back cover. It doesn't bend no matter how hard you try. Rock solid A++++
Also not the lack of rubber feet. This was meant to be mounted in a squadcar, not sit on a desk.

third thing to note: The keycaps have a weird almost slightly embossed rectangle on them. If we flip one over we can see the white plastic. TG3 says these are "double shot & sublimated." I think what this means is that they have stamped two pieces of plastic together, the white middle and black outer parts, and then dye subbed black on the top to make the legend. Not a traditional "double shot," but hey, whatever works I guess.

Next thing to note is the reason the keys feel like forcing your fingers into wet sand whenever you try to type: They saran wrapped right over the keyswitches. Yep, that's all the "spillguard" consists of. Again, whatever works...

After tearing that fukin plastic wrap off... we actually have a nice looking board. Note the MX Grey switch for the spacebar. A lot of people complain about the stiffness of the spacebar. I don't really care though.

Last thing to note: The spacebar is a different profile than the rest of the keys. Srsly TG3, wtf is up with this? Perhaps this has something to do with it being mounted in a squadcar again, perhaps at a downward angle? That might explain this orientation...

So to conclude... This is a very very solid keyboard. If you're in the market for a small form factor board with MX Blacks, the build quality is superior. Especially when you consider these can be found relatively easily on ebay for $50.00 USD or less depending on condition, it would seem foolish to get something like a Noppoo Choc Mini for twice the price... That being said, there are the aforementioned quirks like the keycaps all having the same profile, the spacebar, the fact that it's 2kro, etc... And that's going to be a turnoff to a lot of people. However keycaps are easy to swap and 2kro is nbd unless you have hooves for hands.

TG3 Electronics BL82 - RECOMMENDED.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: TG3 Electronics BL82 Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 05:37:12 »
Interesting keyboard - thanks for the review.

Love the texture on the case - presumably that is to blend in with the texture of the dashboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:36:33 »
Gah.... 2KRO though. I really don't know if that would work with the way I type...
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline Conus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 06:08:56 »
Interesting keyboard - thanks for the review.

Love the texture on the case - presumably that is to blend in with the texture of the dashboard.

Yeah the case is one of my favorite things about this board. The texture is oddly pleasing in a way lol. Like everything on this board it's just really solid - a full 1/8th of an inch thick! I measured.

Gah.... 2KRO though. I really don't know if that would work with the way I type...

IMHO avoiding a keyboard that has 2kro is like avoiding a computer because it doesn't have a dvd drive. Don't let it scare you away if you think it might be good otherwise. IBM Model M's that everyone loves so much are also 2kro.

While it's true there are certain combinations that fail on the 3rd key, there are also areas where 8 keys can register simultaneously on this board.