Author Topic: Coffee, or Tea, anyone?  (Read 10018 times)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Coffee, or Tea, anyone?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 19:21:40 »
Quote from: wellington1869;89606
lol.
you're dating yourself, o2dazone ;)
[i mean giving away your age ;) ]  I wonder if the snot-nosed 20-somethings here will get this classic reference ;)
Although I watched Airplane! long ago, I had to look it up.

However, I wasn't able to find what this scene was referring to itself. Yes, it was a joke complete in itself, but the style of the little girl's remark makes me suspect that very similar remarks were made in a serious context in other movies.

It could be that what I'm thinking of goes all the way back to Mae West.

EDIT: Also, I now see that she wasn't trying to gratuitously shock, or accidentally gratuitously shocking, a stewardess... she was cleverly getting rid of a stranger who was accosting her!

Which means that Lauren Bacall's famous line from To Have and Have Not is perhaps the closest precedent. And she was 17 years old when she delivered that line, I happened to find out when I did my little web search... making for an even closer parallel.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2010, 07:15:40 by quadibloc »

Offline RoboKrikit

Coffee, or Tea, anyone?
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 19:51:26 »
Coffee! I brew my coffee in one of these, and have never been happier with the flavor:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/clever-dripper-with-lid.html

I skipped buying an expensive coffee maker and spent the money on a good grinder and electric kettle.  Get some decent coffees from a local roaster (or order online from a good place) and you're set.  In a pinch I'll pick up a bag of coffee (e.g. Dunkin' Donuts) from the grocery store, but it is really hard to beat coffee that's freshly roasted.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline roaduck

Coffee, or Tea, anyone?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 04:12:57 »
I drink mostly black tea which I buy loose by the kilogram (2.2 lbs) from Bury Market - http://www.burymarket.com/default2.asp which is a blend of teas to my taste.If I can't get the loose custom blend I have Twinnings breakfast tea or PG Tips (which I send to friends in the States.)

I roast and grind (with an antique French hand coffee grinder) my own green coffee beans ; also from the market.I use either a cafetiere or an ancient coffee percolator from the 1960's and if I'm rushed I have Nescafe original instant.

I've got teas and coffees from my travels in Asia, Middle East, Africa and Europe plus I do fresh herbal teas straight from my garden.I hate processed, dead, chemical, salty, sugary products.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2010, 04:15:44 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask