Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 456366 times)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 15:34:32 »
Modern Alps keysets in fun colors are hard to find but starting to become more common. Tai Hao sets and SP sets are starting to gain headway.

Vintage Alps keysets are common and easy to find on eBay and other places. And cheap. I've picked up Alps compatible rubber dome keyboards for $2.

Alright fair enough.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
Re: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #701 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 15:52:10 »
Just ordered x90 65g Zealio tactiles I'm really excited to put these in my next board  :eek:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 19:20:46 »
Just ordered x90 65g Zealio tactiles I'm really excited to put these in my next board  :eek:

We're getting down to the wire here, Im going to have to place my order soon as well. Just not sure how many I want to go for, I'm thinking around enough to convert either my Filco or Phantom plus enough to do one more TKL board in the future.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
I won't have money to take many of them but I'll see if I can get at least enough for the alpha of my soon to come 60%.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net

We're getting down to the wire here, Im going to have to place my order soon as well. Just not sure how many I want to go for, I'm thinking around enough to convert either my Filco or Phantom plus enough to do one more TKL board in the future.
Get twice as many as you think you need.

These babies are the future.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline blai5000

« Reply #705 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:12:07 »
Any opinions on how the clear linear variants feel?  The reviews mostly focus on the tactile switches, doesn't go that detailed on the linears beyond saying they're similar to vintage blacks...How do they compare to regular Gateron Clears/Reds/Blacks in terms of smoothness and feel?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #706 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:16:58 »
Any opinions on how the clear linear variants feel?  The reviews mostly focus on the tactile switches, doesn't go that detailed on the linears beyond saying they're similar to vintage blacks...How do they compare to regular Gateron Clears/Reds/Blacks in terms of smoothness and feel?

All 3 of the above switches you've listed share the same mould, so the Linear line of Zealio switches will equally be as smooth. The only difference is the completely transparent housing and a more customized spring weight. 62g/65g/67g are all a bit heavier than reds, but lighter than blacks.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline blai5000

« Reply #707 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:20:19 »

All 3 of the above switches you've listed share the same mould, so the Linear line of Zealio switches will equally be as smooth. The only difference is the completely transparent housing and a more customized spring weight. 62g/65g/67g are all a bit heavier than reds, but lighter than blacks.

Sounds perfect, thanks for the quick reply!  Gonna have to grab some!

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #708 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 19:33:36 »
Recently ordered ~90 of both the 67g - Tactile (Purple ergo-clear stem) and the 67g - Linear (Clear stem). Looking forwards to it, cause I broke too many pins trying to desolder my Filco.

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #709 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:26:29 »
Zeal, due to some internet issues I've seemed to have ordered the wrong weighted switches. What would the best way to change my order be? Should I just reply to the order confirmation email? Sorry for the extra work.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #710 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:28:15 »
Zeal, due to some internet issues I've seemed to have ordered the wrong weighted switches. What would the best way to change my order be? Should I just reply to the order confirmation email? Sorry for the extra work.

Reply to the order confirmation email and I'll cancel that order for you to place the correct one.

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #711 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 22:28:10 »

Reply to the order confirmation email and I'll cancel that order for you to place the correct one.

Awesome! Canceled and reordered. Thank you!  :thumb:
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:36:44 »
Finally joined for 70 switches in case I don't like the gateron black enough.

Sadly it was too late for the binge raffle.

Thanks for organizing everything Zeal! You rock!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #713 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:45:17 »
in case I don't like the gateron black enough.

Have you tried them? Tried them the other day and I'm in lerv.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:46:30 »
in case I don't like the gateron black enough.

Have you tried them? Tried them the other day and I'm in lerv.

I did but not a for a long time. Just a quick peak. I have them sitting in my cupboard as I don't have my 60% case yet. :'(

Offline skaloola

« Reply #715 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:36:40 »
Ouch, if I would have known the price would be nearly double the GB price I would have ordered a lot more during the preorder/group buy period .. =/

edit: woops, for some reason I thought they were $0.55.. but they were $0.75.  Not too bad of a markup actually, still ends up being quite a bit of a difference when you need to buy 70 - 100 at a time.

Still eagerly awaiting for mine to arrive.. super excited to put these in my first custom.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:45:00 by skaloola »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #716 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:44:15 »
Ouch, if I would have known the price would be nearly double the GB price I would have ordered a lot more during the preorder/group buy period .. =/

Geez!

I wouldn't call a $0.22 price increase for retail sale "double" preorder/GB pricing. Customers were informed that the price would be adjusted upon the arrival of my second shipment of switches.  :-X

Offline skaloola

« Reply #717 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:45:44 »

Geez!

I wouldn't call a $0.22 price increase for retail sale "double" preorder/GB pricing. Customers were informed that the price would be adjusted upon the arrival of my second shipment of switches.  :-X

Yeah, my bad.  Updated my post.

Offline ika

« Reply #718 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 00:19:57 »
Cross-posting from the GB thread!

Been a long and tedious day... but it's over!
http://imgur.com/a/fvXTQ

More

Offline mesteris

« Reply #719 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:14:48 »

Finished blue stickered zealios on the left!

Gonna be using some white stickers on some linear zealios soon! Love the transparent housings.

Offline enddot

« Reply #720 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:41:53 »
I'm really loving my 65g zealios with DSA profile, I haven't tried other profiles yet but will soon.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:44:32 »
I'm such a dummy- I'm like 10 switches short of 62g tactiles for my current build- when are these coming back in stock?

Anyone have about 10 switches they would sell?
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #722 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:28:04 »
I'm such a dummy- I'm like 10 switches short of 62g tactiles for my current build- when are these coming back in stock?

Anyone have about 10 switches they would sell?

I would totally help you out if I had 62g.  :(  I can spare some 67g if you have springs or don't mind 67g in your F-row or wherever.

Offline iss

« Reply #723 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 08:49:18 »
So... now that all purple Zealios are sold out, I guess Round 2 is coming soon? :3

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #724 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 04:50:24 »
ugh I hope the 62g tactile will come back soon!
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #725 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 04:56:01 »

Zeal is working on a round 2 at the moment, I believe he was planning on doing the group buy this month (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #726 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:51:37 »

Zeal is working on a round 2 at the moment, I believe he was planning on doing the group buy this month (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Correct - mid Jan was what he told me.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #727 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 05:15:33 »

Correct - mid Jan was what he told me.

Went through the other thread and found where he had said it.

I have the urge to buy some 78g switches but I have no need or reason, but I'm trying to find one :(

Offline brentaarnold

• An astonishingly decent man
    • Blog
« Reply #728 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 23:23:39 »
Need Zealios for to win.
My WTB/WTS/WTT Thread

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; and that which can be asserted without evidence may also be dismissed without it." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline TrueMeta

« Reply #729 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:40:06 »
So I saw on the website "R2 Zealio Switch GB/Pre-order will come soon in January!" which is awesome and seems like what you guys are talking about. My question is, is this group buy going to be only on/through geekhack or will it be on massdrop or something similar? Basically, I'm new here and it said I needed 50 posts before participating in group buys, so will I need to have 50 posts if I want some of these in the upcoming January drop?

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #730 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 14:12:37 »
So I saw on the website "R2 Zealio Switch GB/Pre-order will come soon in January!" which is awesome and seems like what you guys are talking about. My question is, is this group buy going to be only on/through geekhack or will it be on massdrop or something similar? Basically, I'm new here and it said I needed 50 posts before participating in group buys, so will I need to have 50 posts if I want some of these in the upcoming January drop?

I believe that it'll be on zealpc (website), but I don't think there's a minimum requirement for GB's. Most are just a google form with paypal invoicing anyways.

Offline TrueMeta

« Reply #731 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 14:25:02 »
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Offline Dansor

« Reply #732 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 10:24:19 »
It's a bit expensive, but has anyone ever user silver epoxy (something like this http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Two-Part-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B008UH4DB2) to "solder" keyboard switches.

If heat is indeed relted to the zealio chattering, it seems like an easy fix.
Been tempted to try it.

Offline Dansor

« Reply #733 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 22:00:55 »
Ok I suppose I was worrying over nothing :)

I got bored tonight and soldered my compact 1800 tonight, and switch hitter is showing no chattering. :)

If anyone is curious, I soldered at 650F, and didn't hold the tip on any pad for more that 3 seconds, 2 seconds for almost all of them. I figure slightly higher heat for shorter periods will lead to less heat transfer tithe plastic than lower heat for longer periods.
Anywa, thanks zeal couldn't be more happy :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #734 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 22:58:23 »
I soldered my Compact SQ at whatever the max heat is (Weller 40W) with some average leaded solder... The heat is on the pcb for less than a second. Had zero issues with my 65g Zealios  :thumb:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 23:13:17 »
I soldered my Compact SQ at whatever the max heat is (Weller 40W) with some average leaded solder... The heat is on the pcb for less than a second. Had zero issues with my 65g Zealios  :thumb:

Nice!

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #736 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:09:00 »
i pulled the stems out of my 62g zealios and mounted them on brown springs in cherry housings and i have this to say:

1. yes there is a tiny bit more wobble on these stems vs. stocks. Not enough for me to ever care about thouh and afaik there is absolutely no interference with the operation of the switch.
2.  these are every bit as smooth as i had hoped. they feel absolutely terrific.
3. way easier to mount and pull keys than stock clears
4. i think they also sound great.

tl;dr if you're a wobble hound then proceed with caution - everybody else should run a nd get a set. these are better than any cherry switch i have ever tried (blue, red, clear, black, brown). they really ae smoother because they're molded better or made with better plastic... check zelio's thread for the macro shots comparing the surface of stock blacks and clears to his... the really do like that (i confirmed with a jeweler's loupe).

great job and i will definitely buy again.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #737 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 05:21:04 »
Are there already boards with them? Or should I go completely custom?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #738 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 06:06:16 »

I have only seen the WhiteFox board sold with Zealios pre-assembled...you would have to place these in an existing board yourself. Going custom is one option...or just desolder/resolder these into the board. If you have a PCB mount keyboard with Cherry switches you can just swap the top halves/springs/sliders in without issue (except a bit of wobbling, in that case switch stickers would help a bit)

Offline KaminKevCrew

I have only seen the WhiteFox board sold with Zealios pre-assembled...you would have to place these in an existing board yourself. Going custom is one option...or just desolder/resolder these into the board. If you have a PCB mount keyboard with Cherry switches you can just swap the top halves/springs/sliders in without issue (except a bit of wobbling, in that case switch stickers would help a bit)
I'm pretty sure you had to assemble the white fox yourself if you bought zealios. (IIRC)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #740 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:12:15 »
What's smoother zealio's or gateron?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #741 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:20:53 »

They are both equally smooth. However you won't be finding any purple (MX Clear stem-like) Gaterons due to our contract agreement.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #742 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:22:52 »

They are both equally smooth. However you won't be finding any purple (MX Clear stem-like) Gaterons due to our contract agreement.

Those Zealio's really look super nice. Perhaps time to learn soldering and start a little project of my own in the summer and try them out.

Offline silaz

« Reply #743 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 20:56:13 »
I always see Zealio switches on custom high-end boards but I've yet to jump down the rabbit hole of making my own board. Maybe I'll have to make the jump because of all the positive things I keep hearing.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #744 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:59:39 »
Zeal, I'm totally satisfied with my round 1 65g tactile Zealios.  I have a batch of round 2 62g tactile Zealios that I haven't used yet and I've ordered a batch of round 4 62g Zealios, as well.   Considering that 1 set of these switches will be going into a hand-wired keyboard, do you think the difference between the round 2 switches and round 4 switches is significant enough to wait for the round 4 switches (and save the round 2 switches for a keyboard with a PCB)?

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #745 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:27:41 »
Those Zealio's really look super nice. Perhaps time to learn soldering and start a little project of my own in the summer and try them out.

I always see Zealio switches on custom high-end boards but I've yet to jump down the rabbit hole of making my own board. Maybe I'll have to make the jump because of all the positive things I keep hearing.

I've been thinking the same thing, haha. My next board purchase is for sure going to be one with Zealios. I can imagine it being fun to build them once you know what you're doing.  ;D
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #746 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:51:00 »
Zeal, I'm totally satisfied with my round 1 65g tactile Zealios.  I have a batch of round 2 62g tactile Zealios that I haven't used yet and I've ordered a batch of round 4 62g Zealios, as well.   Considering that 1 set of these switches will be going into a hand-wired keyboard, do you think the difference between the round 2 switches and round 4 switches is significant enough to wait for the round 4 switches (and save the round 2 switches for a keyboard with a PCB)?

All up to you and how patient you are. :)

Offline B3H3M0T

« Reply #747 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 18:25:22 »
will bottom side switch will updated to support smd led?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #748 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 02:05:10 »
will bottom side switch will updated to support smd led?

There are no plans on making a cutout for the Zealio switches. Not all PCBs have the LED sitting ontop. The Zeal60 for example has the SMD LED flush against the PCB, allowing Zealios to work on it without issue.

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #749 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 05:28:40 »
I have Zealios 78g tactile on my ergodox but few switches make some noise. Do you have any advices for lubbing?

I saw Ripster's photo serie (http://imgur.com/a/lhLqo) but I'm living in France and most of products don't exist here...

For the moment I have this : http://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/graisses/0520181/
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2017, 05:39:29 by Heliobb »
Novatouch TKL - Leopold FC660C - PBT my life.