geekhack Community > Off Topic

What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.

<< < (345/492) > >>

tp4tissue:
The Ark ,  seems to have alot of tween plot so far,  slightly revolting if one thinks too much about it, and the graphics are crummy,

Buhhhhh. There's pretty much no other shows to watch righ now so......

Thoughts ?

tp4tissue:
Ark episode 2, mmm... still kind of boring stuff, kind of like camping.  It's not awful, still watchable.

noisyturtle:
I watched all of Book Of Boba Fett, Star Wars: Visions, Clone Wars '03, Andor, and Obi Wan.
Been on a real Star Wars kick the past couple weeks. Visions(1st episode especially), Clone Wars,  and Obi Wan were pretty great. Book made my boy Boba into a total *****, and I just could not really get into Andor.

phinix:
I've been re-watching original Star Wars after quite a long break and finding it.. childish :(
I remember watching Star Wars New Hope every day after running back from school in 80s. Loved it so much.
Last week after watching it again after maybe 30 years break I felt like their acting was like in movies for kids, kinda amateur. Some scenes felt fake, like each scene actors were positioning themselves and start moving just when it started, if you know what I mean, pew-pew scenes acted weirdly, like starship troopers just ran into the corridor and waiting to be shot or blown away. Chewbacca yelling all the time so annoyingly. Darth taking his time to turn around during swords fight. I don't even gonna start on that Hoth fight scene with AT-AT... And that Lando and Boba Fett were total di**heads!
I watched New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Today - Return of the Jedi.
I feel little bit heart broken... :(

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: phinix on Sat, 11 February 2023, 03:17:39 ---
finding it.. childish

--- End quote ---

When Star Wars came out I was not too long out of college and had been an avid reader of science fiction for over a decade (Star Trek TOS had happened when I was in 9th-11th grades of school).

We had been reading about Star Wars for a while, and there was a lot of anticipation for its release, but I was very disappointed when I saw it. At its core it was very cliched and juvenile, a straightforward adventure story, albeit very well told. I walked out of the theater feeling that it was created to be a vehicle to sell dolls and costumes.

While I was very impressed by its special effects (yes, not a misprint - I thought that it was really the inception of the notion that awe-inspiring effects (also not a misprint) could imbue the emotion of "the watching" of a movie with enough value to almost supersede the plot and its other intellectually "qualitative" attributes) it compared very poorly to the books I was reading at the time - Zelazny, Delaney, LeGuin, Niven (I think I remember that "Ringworld" was on my nightstand at the time I went to the movie), Ballard, etc.

Clearly it was aimed at puberty-and-before demographic. A couple of decades later, I could not understand why people dissed "The Phantom Menace" because it seemed to me that it was quite in line and compared favorably with the others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version