Author Topic: Keycap options for a Clueboard with Matias switches  (Read 56349 times)

Offline KeepTypingAndNobodyCries

Keycap options for a Clueboard with Matias switches
« on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:05:26 »
Hi!

I'm very interested in a Clueboard with Matias clicky switches. I own a Leopard FC660M and I find it hard to find keycaps for it because of the special layout. I guess it will be much harder when I want keycaps in this layout for alps?

If you know any resources for nice alps keycaps, that would fit on the Clueboard, please let me know. :)

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
Re: Keycap options for a Clueboard with Matias switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:12:22 »
It actually wouldn't be all that bad as right shift and left shift are the same size. Aside from that I believe everything is fairly standard and bottom row supports multiple configurations. So as long as you can find a alps set and have access to another left shift you should be good to go.  :thumb:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Also skullydazed supplies TaiHao ABS caps directly on his website for alps which includes the extra shift.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:17:27 by Fictiouz »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:44:08 »
True, the one shift key is usually the problem. I would love to have something like GMK 9009 for alps.

Maybe I will just go with the official Mathias keycaps or I'll wait for a chance to snatch an "Alpine Winter" set.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:53:53 »
True, the one shift key is usually the problem. I would love to have something like GMK 9009 for alps.

Maybe I will just go with the official Mathias keycaps or I'll wait for a chance to snatch an "Alpine Winter" set.

With Alpine winter you would have to get 2 sets if you wanted to have both shifts. Also IIRC Alpine Winter was exclusively a 60% set and did not include arrow keys.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline pwade3

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:49:01 »
Not sure how common ISO shifts are with alps/matias caps, but I went with a split right shift on my clueboard to make things a little easier.

Since sets like GMK often come with 1.25u shifts and 1u win keys, it makes for pretty easy compatibility in my experience. Worst case scenario, I've got mismatched legends with cheaper sets like taihao.

But that's all for MX caps, so YMMV.

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:33:38 »
Also IIRC Alpine Winter was exclusively a 60% set and did not include arrow keys.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up!

Not sure how common ISO shifts are with alps/matias caps, but I went with a split right shift on my clueboard to make things a little easier.

This is a good idea, I will consider it. Thanks!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:12:57 »
Picking the Alps layout I wanted for my Clueboard was a long and painful process. At first I wanted to use my AEK II caps, but realized I couldn't because of the right Shift and bottom row (Clueboard doesn't support 1.5u mods). Then I decided to just go with SP's stabs. Later on I scored a set of M0116 caps, which provided the missing Shift I'd need, but that still left me the problem of the bottom row.
I've decided to with the AEK stabs after all, even though that means I will not be able to use Tai-Hao or SP Alps caps. As for the bottom row, I will have some gaps with the thinner mods, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.
Even if I wanted to use the weird modern Alps stabs, I'd be limited to what skully has on his site, and the only other caps I'd want to use besides AEK is Alpine Winter.  :-\

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:56:20 »
Even if I wanted to use the weird modern Alps stabs, I'd be limited to what skully has on his site, and the only other caps I'd want to use besides AEK is Alpine Winter.  :-\

What about the original Matias keycaps? https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/keycaps-white-with-black-printing

Offline dancingbanana

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 14:29:10 »

What about the original Matias keycaps? https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/keycaps-white-with-black-printing

sorry if this is necro, and it's better than nothing, but I have a Matias laptop pro and the stock keycaps are pretty bad. Thin, infilled ABS.

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 05:55:42 »
Thanks for the hint, I think this problem is resolved for me, because clueboard added their own version of Alpine Winter, that I like a lot. :)

Now my only problem left is, that there seems to be no aluminum plate for alps switches that fits the clueboard. :(

How do people use the clueboard with alps switches?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:32:04 »
I ended up doing the Black Tai Hao set for my alphas as arrow keys, and modifiers were changed to badwrench modifiers.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 08:07:39 »
They have alps mounts on pimpmykeyboard. Go check it out.