Author Topic: Destiny 2 PC  (Read 6990 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Destiny 2 PC
« on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 21:53:05 »
Anyone here getting Destiny 2 for PC?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline robotsokk

Re: Destiny 2 PC
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 22:13:33 »
Anyone here getting Destiny 2 for PC?

I'm definitely thinking about it. Some coworkers are talking about playing on PC, and I think I'd enjoy it more on PC than console. But overall, still mentally going back and forth...
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:17:44 »
Very conflicted. Played a ton of Destiny 1 on PS4, oftentimes frustrated at decisions and changes made by Bungie, as well as ultimately playing a game so different from my expectations (part of a series of reminders for me to keep calm and not get too hyped for titles not out yet), yet I still did have fun with it at the end of the day, especially since so many of my friends played it.

I wasn't really looking into or considering Destiny 2, though, because I was worried about falling into the same trap, but I have heard very positive things from my friends playing consoles (close friends who know my thoughts on the first and shared them) so far. One of my best friends just finished building his rig and is trying to strong-arm me into picking it up for PC to play with him, so I might say what the hell and pick it up. Plus, while hardly any of my IRL friends will be playing it on PC, I'm sure a number of online friends will.

Bummer to not have my Destiny 1 character, though, but from what I heard, not much transfers over anyways.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:22:20 »
Destiny 1 on PS4 sucked, tbh. Everything except the graphics. It just wasn't halo for PS4.

I'm holding out for the new wolfenstein. YESS
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 14:00:47 »
I'm going to pick it up, unless there's something truly egregious about it that appears before I pull the trigger on it. I enjoyed the PC beta and it scratches an itch (and also creates an itch all on its own) that I haven't felt since I played WoW about a decade ago. I dunno why but it just felt good to play and I'm interested in finding all the little stuff hidden on the maps. I can't decide between playing Titan or Hunter.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 23:32:01 »
Never played it before but it looks fun.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:04:42 »
I'm definitely walking the fence. I most likely will get it, the main reason being I told people I would. However, as pretty as it looks I've seen a lot of issues with it, doesn't seem like they improved much of it, and many have said such.

I played the hell out of D1 (3 max light chars, different classes, all the way up to Taken King when the treadmill got old.), thinking D2 would be amazing once they got it off the last-gen consoles, however it seems like Bungie is in the same rut as when D1 came out, at least that's what the vocal ones would argue.

The last reason I'm torn is that I know that company is capable of making a significantly better game, and I feel like what I know of D2 so far is a half assed attempt at a money grab to milk the earnest player base for another year. I've been voting a lot more with my wallet recently and I don't want to encourage half-assedness.

Offline mogo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:43:51 »
I'm definitely walking the fence. I most likely will get it, the main reason being I told people I would. However, as pretty as it looks I've seen a lot of issues with it, doesn't seem like they improved much of it, and many have said such.

I played the hell out of D1 (3 max light chars, different classes, all the way up to Taken King when the treadmill got old.), thinking D2 would be amazing once they got it off the last-gen consoles, however it seems like Bungie is in the same rut as when D1 came out, at least that's what the vocal ones would argue.

The last reason I'm torn is that I know that company is capable of making a significantly better game, and I feel like what I know of D2 so far is a half assed attempt at a money grab to milk the earnest player base for another year. I've been voting a lot more with my wallet recently and I don't want to encourage half-assedness.

I'm starting to rethink buying Destiny 2 now for this reason. After the recent burst of disgusting money-grabbing models being advanced in AAA games, I'm not so sure I want to support such bad practices. The Jimquisition video about the "$60 price" gave me a lot to think about. I won't get Destiny 2 for just $60. No, I'll pay far more than that if I want to really get what I want out of it. And there's increasingly crappy loot box models, and Destiny 2 is drinking this punch with everyone else. I think I'll probably keep my money after all...

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 23:44:28 »
I decided to hold off for now because they're using p2p servers instead of dedicated and the PvE doesn't look very challenging.

For anyone who does end up getting this and playing, let us know your thoughts on the game.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:35:28 »

I'm starting to rethink buying Destiny 2 now for this reason. After the recent burst of disgusting money-grabbing models being advanced in AAA games, I'm not so sure I want to support such bad practices. The Jimquisition video about the "$60 price" gave me a lot to think about. I won't get Destiny 2 for just $60. No, I'll pay far more than that if I want to really get what I want out of it. And there's increasingly crappy loot box models, and Destiny 2 is drinking this punch with everyone else. I think I'll probably keep my money after all...

The loot boxes coming into all games is one of the most bothersome practices that is starting to hit mainstream to me. I'm fed up with it. I don't mind skins so much ala DoTA 2 (Although their newer skins with all the particle effects has become a bit of a nuisance not to mention gaudy.), however if there are ANY stats or any bars to the experience because of such boxes I am vehemently against it.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:39:38 »
Also looking at Shadow of War, I don't think I'd mine all the extra prices if they gave me a month or two supply of Pizza Rolls in addition :thumb:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:29:53 »
I am saddened to say that I was planning on getting it for the PC.
Then I got a PS4 and decided to get the game for that platform.
It was fun for a couple of weeks and then it just kind of became repetitive. Sure you can get to max gear level solo but it'll take a lot longer than doing it with a group.
P2P connection between players I am not a fan of either, I'd want proper dedicated servers for this type of game.
Initially, I played with a friend and we would've been fine had we been able to get a third player but he has since moved on to Shadow of War and I started playing The Last of Us Remastered. :P

I decided to hold off for now because they're using p2p servers instead of dedicated and the PvE doesn't look very challenging.

For anyone who does end up getting this and playing, let us know your thoughts on the game.

Yes indeed if someone does end up getting it for the PC I'd be very interested in hearing how it runs and how good the content/gameplay is.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 05:44:32 »
So, I managed to finagle a copy of D2. Simply traded steam stuff for a copy, which.. Still bothers me a bit, but I did want to see it for myself.

At this point I've completed the story, and have reached max level (Not light level.), so I still have tons to do. It took me a handful of hours, including what stuff I tried to skip (Fights that I could run through.). No complaints about that, I think if those tasks took longer I'd be alittle peeved. I have not tried pvp yet.

The game looks good, I play on some mediocre monitors, but with an evga 1080. It is a significant improvement over consoles, particularly D1. Although obvious, I'm still gonna be happy about that no matter what. I'm not too sure about how it looks on consoles today. People say it seems to have been optimized well for PC, and I have to agree to a small extent as I'm constantly at 60fps no matter how much jumbled junk is on screen, the only time it dips is during cut scenes and I'm not sure why but that seems to be pretty standard. According to the in game measurement, I'm using about 2200VRAM out of the 8000+ on my card to run it at 100% resolution.

All the sounds are familiar, on the weapons etc. The soundtrack is pretty good as well, but more aggressive(industrial) than the last release's from what I've paid attention to.

The story is meh imo. nothing particularly exciting about it; though if you played the first one, you know what to expect. And very easy, much of it skippable.

Still a good shooter, if you liked the controls and how the combat handled in the first one you'll like this aspect. The level design is better, much more verticality, twists, and turns. Some pretty awe-inspiring landscapes as well that look really cool. Less wide open, empty spaces from what I've seen. All things that I would've expected from leaving the last gen consoles. I still wish it would be... more so.. More ridiculously large... Need to completely leave consoles behind lol...

I don't know if the art director changed... but many of the armor sets/weapons... I do not care for. Very hit or miss. You might like it though, some of the hunters stuff in particular is very star wars-esque. Think sand-people. For a stretch, my hunter looked like Kanye West in a desert, post-apocalyptic world music video.

So, it's an improvement, but done in such a way to appeal to the most amount of people as possible.

With that said, I enjoy it for what it is. My lively-hood doesn't depend on this game. As long as I had friends to play with, I would make the purchase again with the same sentiment(reluctance). The shooter gameplay is what really solidifies the game as a purchase for me. It really is a good shooter, and my favorite type of game is looters. It does run into the same problems as most shooters when it comes to difficulty, (quantity vs quality of engagements). But as you can see I'm a little biased. I had fun just running around shooting stuff and collecting loot. I'm a simple man.

I'm not gonna go over improvements, as there is enough out there about that.

If you don't want to support the company, I agree.

If you want to play the sequel because you liked D1, I agree.

This game is kind of like what I assume having a ****-up of a son or daughter is like, that's barely not destroying their entirely life, but loving them anyway because they're yours even though you see how much potential they have.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 03:36:21 »
A little update.

Well, honeymoon period is over. While this game is one of the best feeling shooters imo, I think it took me to get to the "end-game" to really see it. What happens when you try for the carrot or better yet get ahold of it. I don't mind carrots, if there is a point to the end of it. Like feeling powerful, looking cool, whatever it is.

The game is pretty and feels good, it just doesn't have "it". I'm sure improvements will be ongoing. Seems like that's what the gameplan is/has been.

The Raid isn't fun, very much a chore. I play FPS to shoot. There is minimal shooting. They seem to have replaced semi intricate boss fights with obnoxious and stranger reliant over-coordination. When you finish a section, you get tokens.... Not gear... IOUs.. For rep..  When you do get that gear, it's ugly, and doesn't look like the Cabal at all; it shares more in looks with the place the raid is held in, than the enemy you're actually facing.

I also played Trials of Osiris, which tbh I have no complaints about. I really like crucible overall. But I liked crucible in the old one too.. They slowed it down, made it a bit more tactical, placed a little more emphasis on team shooting/flanking/pushing. Many, many people do not like this however. Most of the complaints seem like they're centered around the lack of chaos in pvp. Which is fine, I would hope they would leave crucible alone and just add a mayhem mode. The gear looks cool. I don't think that the weapons are that good imo. No dedicated servers, no bueno.

In summation, the ride was more fun than the destination. I did get my money's worth, and may continue to play dependent on IRL people that I play with. Again, I would not have made this purchase if it weren't for them, because I feel pretty much exactly how I thought I'd feel.

5/10... 5 points for crucible.

If you don't think you'll like it, you probably won't. Save your money.

Offline mogo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:59:15 »
Thank you very much for your thoughts 9999, it confirmed a lot of things I was suspicious of and it sounds like I'd play it for similar reasons to you, if I were to play it at all. And I don't think I will.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 10:05:47 »
A little update.

Well, honeymoon period is over. While this game is one of the best feeling shooters imo, I think it took me to get to the "end-game" to really see it. What happens when you try for the carrot or better yet get ahold of it. I don't mind carrots, if there is a point to the end of it. Like feeling powerful, looking cool, whatever it is.

The game is pretty and feels good, it just doesn't have "it". I'm sure improvements will be ongoing. Seems like that's what the gameplan is/has been.

The Raid isn't fun, very much a chore. I play FPS to shoot. There is minimal shooting. They seem to have replaced semi intricate boss fights with obnoxious and stranger reliant over-coordination. When you finish a section, you get tokens.... Not gear... IOUs.. For rep..  When you do get that gear, it's ugly, and doesn't look like the Cabal at all; it shares more in looks with the place the raid is held in, than the enemy you're actually facing.

I also played Trials of Osiris, which tbh I have no complaints about. I really like crucible overall. But I liked crucible in the old one too.. They slowed it down, made it a bit more tactical, placed a little more emphasis on team shooting/flanking/pushing. Many, many people do not like this however. Most of the complaints seem like they're centered around the lack of chaos in pvp. Which is fine, I would hope they would leave crucible alone and just add a mayhem mode. The gear looks cool. I don't think that the weapons are that good imo. No dedicated servers, no bueno.

In summation, the ride was more fun than the destination. I did get my money's worth, and may continue to play dependent on IRL people that I play with. Again, I would not have made this purchase if it weren't for them, because I feel pretty much exactly how I thought I'd feel.

5/10... 5 points for crucible.

If you don't think you'll like it, you probably won't. Save your money.

Vs  Over watch ??

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:31:39 »
No problem, there were some gripes I had to share that some people walking the fence might he interested in. Who knows maybe it'll be amazing in a year or two, that's not really out of the question.

Vs Overwatch? Overwatch is vastly superior in many aspects. But OW is an arena shooter.

I'd say OW is definitely more twitch style, where highly accurate split decisions are king. And feels like a large battle with less focus on the small firefights and more about how you adapt over the course of the entire match.

D2 is about a culmination of those small firefights and your approach to winning those encounters.

D2 can be twitchy, but it doesn't work as well with the emphasis taken off the individuals skill , and lack of secondary weapons.

The only complaints I truly have of crucible if I HAVE to say something is you can't pick game modes, and they started grouping assists and kills together in your performance stats. That's a pet peeve of mine. I can't argue the reasoning for it, it's solid. I just don't like it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:43:02 »
No problem, there were some gripes I had to share that some people walking the fence might he interested in. Who knows maybe it'll be amazing in a year or two, that's not really out of the question.

Vs Overwatch? Overwatch is vastly superior in many aspects. But OW is an arena shooter.

I'd say OW is definitely more twitch style, where highly accurate split decisions are king. And feels like a large battle with less focus on the small firefights and more about how you adapt over the course of the entire match.

D2 is about a culmination of those small firefights and your approach to winning those encounters.

D2 can be twitchy, but it doesn't work as well with the emphasis taken off the individuals skill , and lack of secondary weapons.

The only complaints I truly have of crucible if I HAVE to say something is you can't pick game modes, and they started grouping assists and kills together in your performance stats. That's a pet peeve of mine. I can't argue the reasoning for it, it's solid. I just don't like it.

If Tp4 can only fordz 1 game this christmas,  what game tp4 buy ?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:52:04 »

Veggie Simulator 2018
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 00:02:06 »

Veggie Simulator 2018

They've added grains to the microtransactions so becareful :p

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 03:52:25 »

How much patience do you have? If D2 goes the same path as D1, in a year or within an expansion or 2 it could be "good". If you really want to play it, play it. Even with all the gripes there are a lot of players, finding groups for raids/pvp is pretty easy using third party websites. I guess Bungie has its own, I have yet to use it though.

Unfortunately it is a huge coinflip; it seems like they are going the way of Mass Effect, in that with each subsequent release they were removing the RPG elements. The same is happening to D2, but there is still time for reversal.

The only game I can say verifiably with my own eyes is as good as the hype is the new Zelda for switch, and I am very much disinterested in most Nintendo games.

What're you into TP?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 08:26:21 »
I'm mostly into more SOLO type games, not completely dependent on team-play.. That is why I've had trouble in LOL, Dota2, and Team Fortress 2..

But, since there isn't a high playerbase for that type of game these days,  I am forced to choose from Team-dependent games..

For example, Halo 1 , 2 , 3,    team didn't matter a whole lot, you could still get everything done with just 1 guy..

It's not that I don't like team gaming,  but these games don't reward or allow you to progress the concept of team.. They're designed to Balance the good player and the bad so the majority of the bad players could still have fun playing.

But, as I've said, there arn't any large shooters with player base where one can solo,  so it's either overwatch or the new D2..

I like starcraft as well.. and I've been playing the remaster,  but overall. I'm too old, and I get owned by young people too much.. hahahaha

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 09:35:34 »
Its nice to see that Destiny 2 is getting much more support than the original AND is on PC. My biggest qualm with the original is that I had to play it on a console. I may have to revisit the series when I get a free moment.

Edit: "much more support than the original" is not saying much. Wolfenstein is still at the top of the list  ;).
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 November 2017, 09:39:01 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 12:34:11 »
Its nice to see that Destiny 2 is getting much more support than the original AND is on PC. My biggest qualm with the original is that I had to play it on a console. I may have to revisit the series when I get a free moment.

Edit: "much more support than the original" is not saying much. Wolfenstein is still at the top of the list  ;).

How halo like is destiny 2..

That's really what i want.. more Halo pc.

but that russian halo 3 version isn't coming ever apparently.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 04:38:06 »
I'm mostly into more SOLO type games, not completely dependent on team-play.. That is why I've had trouble in LOL, Dota2, and Team Fortress 2..

But, since there isn't a high playerbase for that type of game these days,  I am forced to choose from Team-dependent games..

For example, Halo 1 , 2 , 3,    team didn't matter a whole lot, you could still get everything done with just 1 guy..

It's not that I don't like team gaming,  but these games don't reward or allow you to progress the concept of team.. They're designed to Balance the good player and the bad so the majority of the bad players could still have fun playing.

But, as I've said, there arn't any large shooters with player base where one can solo,  so it's either overwatch or the new D2..

I like starcraft as well.. and I've been playing the remaster,  but overall. I'm too old, and I get owned by young people too much.. hahahaha

Well, you can still "merk" pretty well in D2 on your own; however your play must revolve around where your team goes. So, its not purely soloable in PVP, yet you do have some autonomy. That's my playstyle, I don't really team fight (Stacking = terribad imo), however I will run off and flank or whatever other tactics apply in any given situation. You can pick off stragglers or "shielded" enemies as well if you play well enough 1v1.

D2 plays similarly to Halo as far as the combat goes, real smooth very snappy controls. Although, it's augmented by arbitrary weapon stats/models. Long gone is the "360 no scopes", and we are brought to PVP fame through "quick scopes"; which those to have been all but relegated to the past.. A lot of people don't like the PVP, but it's the only thing keeping me playing tbh. 

You're gonna be disappointed by the story, wowed by the landscapes, annoyed by the monotony, ecstatic for your multikills, and wondering why they didn't add more lore.

Like I said, if you wanna play it, play it. I would 95% guarantee you will at least get your monies worth barring any sort of catastrophic event that would hinder you from playing, but beyond that, that's all you.