Author Topic: MX Red Switches for Typing?  (Read 59179 times)

Offline aref

MX Red Switches for Typing?
« on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 14:46:32 »
GH: I had occasion to use MX Red switches to type a document for a neighbor. I hadn't liked Red switches for typing; however, after having no choice at my neighbor's house, I found myself being more mindful of my typing/accuracy and they worked well. I, of course, had to use a lighter touch, i.e., more mindful overall finger pressure throughout each key-strike, than I use with me MX Blue and 55-gram Topre switches. The medium to heavier key switches allow one to be a bit more casual at grazing key-caps' tops and, of course, permit heavier resting-finger pressure because of the required gram force to actuate heavier switches.

I seldom read threads/posts discussing a preference for MX Red switches. Are there any GH members using an MX Red keyboard for typing documents or general use?

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:13:27 by SSKGuy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: MX Red Switches for Typing?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:16:49 »
I use MX reds for typing all the time, and I love them. They're probably one of my favorite switches.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline aref

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:18:52 »
I use MX reds for typing all the time, and I love them. They're probably one of my favorite switches.

I have to ask, what keyboard(s) are you using with MX Red switches?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:20:54 »
I too love mx reds for typing. I alternate between them, and my 45g realforce.  It was a bit of a difficult transition when I first started typing on reds, I was a lot more prone to making typos.  I never let that deter me too much, because I always liked the smooth linear feedback from them, plus they were great for the gaming I did.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:21:00 »
Filco MJ2. Also happens to be my favorite board.

I've used one of the corsair boards too, that was pretty good. It feels too flimsy for me to love it, though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:27:15 »
Am I the only one impressed that the neighbor had a mechanical keyboard?

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:30:31 »
I too love mx reds for typing. I alternate between them, and my 45g realforce.  It was a bit of a difficult transition when I first started typing on reds, I was a lot more prone to making typos.  I never let that deter me too much, because I always liked the smooth linear feedback from them, plus they were great for the gaming I did.

Filco MJ2. Also happens to be my favorite board.

I've used one of the corsair boards too, that was pretty good. It feels too flimsy for me to love it, though.

Flyersfan1: I can see where one has to put it in the time to get used to MX Red switches and cannot allow frustration to dismiss the key switch. I can see where the transition might be a bit tricky. Kudos to you for staying with it.

TacticalStache: The KB I used yesterday was a white Filco M2; and it felt nicer than a Corsair K65 I tried not long ago--the K65's exposed look did it for me; but its feel and performance didn't make the cut.

A collective 'Thank you' for your feedback.

Offline aref

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:38:05 »

I had given her a Leopold MX Brown about two years ago and she loved it; but after a while she wanted a change and picked up a white Filco M2/MX Red. I asked her why she chose MX Red switches,
and her response was the tactile bump in the MX Brown began to feel as if it interrupted each key press; then she looked for a linear switch with approximately the same actuation as the MX Brown. And all this began with one mechanical KB. As a famous author, not me, once wrote, "Who'd a thunk it?"
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:47:07 by SSKGuy »

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:44:58 »
I use MX Red in the office, because it's the quietest mechanical switch. 

I have no problem typing on it, although I do like brown or clear better because of the tactile feel.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline aref

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:05:36 »
I use MX Red in the office, because it's the quietest mechanical switch. 

I have no problem typing on it, although I do like brown or clear better because of the tactile feel.

I like linear switches; but I've become accustom to tactile switches; however, linear switches' constant and uninterrupted travel from key strike through actuation delivers a nice feel. I've used MX Black switches, but they become a bit too heavy for me in a short period of time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:07:28 by SSKGuy »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:11:29 »
MX Red is the #1 Cherry switch, imo. I use it for everything. I do like blues as well, which is easier to type accurately with, but I still like MX Reds the most regardless.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline aref

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:13:00 »
I may have to dig out the Corsair K65 and see if I can use it. Perhaps 'it' wasn't the issue; perhaps the user
was. I think I allowed my frustration to overtake my willingness to pursue an MX Red keyboard. A little frustration
in the way of a not-so-good result can taint one's judgement and place the blame on the object rather then the
subject. In this instance, it may well have been my impatience--'my bad'.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:18:00 »
I love reds for all purposes.  My main work keyboard is (essentially) MX reds, and I type documents and code on it all day every day.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:45:40 »
Been using reds for typing at home for a few weeks and I love the smooth gentle feel of them, but I don't think they are as good to type on as browns (at least as far as speed typing test results suggest). That being said, I love the way the words feel as they emerge from underneath my cushioned fingers lol
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline aref

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:55:03 »
Been using reds for typing at home for a few weeks and I love the smooth gentle feel of them, but I don't think they are as good to type on as browns (at least as far as speed typing test results suggest). That being said, I love the way the words feel as they emerge from underneath my cushioned fingers lol

I love reds for all purposes.  My main work keyboard is (essentially) MX reds, and I type documents and code on it all day every day.

If you deduct 100 WPM from your score, you'll have my typing speed; and 84 is my top speed on a good day. It's interesting to hear how much varied work is being done using MX Red switches. I found that after almost three hours of editing/rewriting a thesis for my neighbor, my digits felt fine, zero fatigue. By far the most comfortable key switch with respect to finger strain--what finger strain? The switch is smooth and takes little effort to actuate. I did find that I bottomed out far less with the MX Red keyboard, which likely attributed to less finger/hand/wrist fatigue and strain.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:56:52 by SSKGuy »

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:40:17 »
I got brown switches on my first MX board ever due to the fact that on paper, they shouldn't create any more strain than red switches (or else I would've tried red first). But now that I have both and have had time to form a basic comparison, I can safely say I feel less fatigued and less affected by RSI while using reds.

When casually typing, I don't bottom out reds, but I do need to focus in order to do so. When I'm gaming or speed typing, I bottom out like a madman on reds, but the same could be said for any switch (maybe other than stock clear or greens).

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:27:35 »
using reds now

feels quite good. I love it even though i almost always bottom out when i'm using it.

I use it both for typing and when I'm playing games

One thing I would like is for me to have some O-rings though, to reduce the actuation distance for double tapping, especially on the backspace key

Offline aref

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:41:55 »
using reds now

feels quite good. I love it even though i almost always bottom out when i'm using it.

One thing I would like is for me to have some O-rings though, to reduce the actuation distance for double tapping, especially on the backspace key

I've tried red and black o-rings on various keyboards. I didn't care for the reduction in key travel, not even with the red o-rings, which reduce key travel the least (reds 0.2mm; blacks 0.4mm). However, of the two o-rings I've tried, the red was the more comfortable, softer landing, of the two. I don't game, but I do a lot of writing; and I find o-rings distracting because of the truncated key travel. I tried them for couple hours, but I was unable to adjust to them. If you want shorter key travel, you'll no doubt like o-rings on your keyboard. Thanks for the response.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:49:31 »
using reds now

I've tried red and black o-rings on various keyboards. I didn't care for the reduction in key travel, not even with the red o-rings, which reduce key travel the least (reds 0.2mm; blacks 0.4mm). However, of the two o-rings I've tried, the red was the more comfortable, softer landing, of the two. I don't game, but I do a lot of writing; and I find o-rings distracting because of the truncated key travel. I tried them for couple hours, but I was unable to adjust to them. If you want shorter key travel, you'll no doubt like o-rings on your keyboard. Thanks for the response.

I've experimented with key travel modifcations on reds to try and lift the bottoming out position to immediately after activation, but while it seems a good idea in practice, it feels terrible to type on.

Offline aref

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:58:02 »
I got brown switches on my first MX board ever due to the fact that on paper, they shouldn't create any more strain than red switches (or else I would've tried red first). But now that I have both and have had time to form a basic comparison, I can safely say I feel less fatigued and less affected by RSI while using reds.

When casually typing, I don't bottom out reds, but I do need to focus in order to do so. When I'm gaming or speed typing, I bottom out like a madman on reds, but the same could be said for any switch (maybe other than stock clear or greens).

From what I've read about MX Red and MX Brown switches, the Red requires less down-force through the switch's travel compared with the MX Brown switch. Speaking for myself, Reds felt lighter to me than the Brown keyboards I've owned. This may be an illusion created by the tactility of the Brown and lack of the same in the MX Red. At times I, perhaps, tend to overanalyze a switch's mechanics. And just like testing any piece of gear, technical specs and bench tests cannot tell us how a device will feel; feel is pretty much in the hands, no pun intended, of the user.

I agree, after my recent experience, MX Red switches are far less fatiguing than many others I've tried.

Offline aref

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:01:34 »
using reds now

I've experimented with key travel modifcations on reds to try and lift the bottoming out position to immediately after activation, but while it seems a good idea in practice, it feels terrible to type on.

I understand. Many of my 'this-is-a-great-idea-to-try' have turned out to be far less than great; and in some instances I've 'bricked' keyboards in the process. I've not tried dental bands in place of o-rings; but after finding them on Amazon, I may have to order some to see how they feel.

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:11:47 »
reds + o-rings are really nice to type on.  as others have mentioned, the light actuation force is really easy on the fingers to type on all day.

Offline aref

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:14:43 »
reds + o-rings are really nice to type on.  as others have mentioned, the light actuation force is really easy on the fingers to type on all day.

I may try the red o-rings on the MX Red keyboard. As I recall, I didn't have red ones when I first tried the Corsair. I just remembered, I only had black o-rings at the time, and they reduced key travel too much for me. Okay, now I've got another 'thing' to test on the K65--nothing like testing a 'whatever' to see how it performs on a keyboard.

I am going to get my Corsair K65 out of the stored-gear closet, disassemble it, clean it, check the soldering on the board, reassemble,
and give it another go. I'll have it ready to go tomorrow evening.

Thanks to everyone for being so forthcoming about your MX Red experiences. I appreciate your candor and assists.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:18:35 by SSKGuy »

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:17:43 »
you can get o-rings on the cheap from ebay.  i picked up a random one for $5 shipped.  i really like them on the reds, but not so much on browns.

Offline aref

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:20:13 »
you can get o-rings on the cheap from ebay.  i picked up a random one for $5 shipped.  i really like them on the reds, but not so much on browns.

I've got a pack of red o-rings here. After I get the KB cleaned, checked, and reassembled, I'm going to try red o-rings on a row of keys. I'm not sure I'll like the reduced travel, but I'll give it a go.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:28:41 »
I've only tried blue o-rings.. I've got a few red but not enough to outfit the board. I've also tried using washers and washers with o-rings and it just felt ... wrong.

Offline aref

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 20:13:28 »
I've got the K65 up and running; and the MX Red key switches feel quite nice to me.
Why was I so disillusioned with this keyboard when I first tried it? By the way, there
isn't a 'ping' to be heard--this is a very good thing. I prefer this switch to, dare I say,
my beloved Cherry MX Blue switches.

The keyboard feels too good to add o-rings; I may give them a go, but not today.

Again, to those who took the time to submit helpful responses, "Thank you."
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:33:46 by SSKGuy »

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 20:52:34 »
I used reds for a while before realizing I don't like them. I can definitely see why people like them though. For brief moments when I was on a roll and I wasn't bottoming out they felt awesome.

Offline aref

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:00:23 »
I used reds for a while before realizing I don't like them. I can definitely see why people like them though. For brief moments when I was on a roll and I wasn't bottoming out they felt awesome.

When I bottom-out, the switch feels fine to me. I find that I'm using a much lighter touch without giving a thought to how I'm actuating each key switch. I'm used to more forceful typing, by way of habit,
on my other keyboards. I find my typing is more fluid with this switch; and my accuracy is on the incline, even after using the keyboard for a few hours only. And my digits, ah, my digits...zero fatigue--nice.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:47:49 »

When I bottom-out, the switch feels fine to me. I find that I'm using a much lighter touch without giving a thought to how I'm actuating each key switch. I'm used to more forceful typing, by way of habit,
on my other keyboards. I find my typing is more fluid with this switch; and my accuracy is on the incline, even after using the keyboard for a few hours only. And my digits, ah, my digits...zero fatigue--nice.

Named "SSKGuy", has MX Red switch profile. I do not approve! >:D
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline aref

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:54:36 »

Named "SSKGuy", has MX Red switch profile. I do not approve! >:D

Neither do I! Let's get him off GH! The French began a revolution over profiles, and heads rolled!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:23:35 »
Heh. All in good fun, the Corsair K-series are good boards (my first mechanical was one, for that matter) and look excellent. Not too much a fan of Reds, but all is taste.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:27:22 »
I've got the K65 up and running; and the MX Red key switches feel quite nice to me.
Why was I so disillusioned with this keyboard when I first tried it? By the way, there
isn't a 'ping' to be heard--this is a very good thing. I prefer this switch to, dare I say,

The keyboard feels too good to add o-rings; I may give them a go, but not today.

This board looks very nice. I am now typing in my Poker X with reds. I think I may like it better if it has a plate, and the resistance of its springs a little bit in the weak side. I used it for more than a year as a daily driver, but now I use it only at home. My main driver at work is an FC660M with browns. And now I really feel the difference.

Offline aref

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:59:13 »
Heh. All in good fun, the Corsair K-series are good boards (my first mechanical was one, for that matter) and look excellent. Not too much a fan of Reds, but all is taste.

I figured as much; my response was quite the same, save the French Revolution, heads did roll.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:05:16 »

Haha the exact same thing crossed my mind as well.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline aref

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:07:17 »

This board looks very nice. I am now typing in my Poker X with reds. I think I may like it better if it has a plate, and the resistance of its springs a little bit in the weak side. I used it for more than a year as a daily driver, but now I use it only at home. My main driver at work is an FC660M with browns. And now I really feel the difference.

I quite enjoy using the K65; and these MX Red switches operate beautifully. The K65 has a plate, and, thus far, I've nothing negative to report--it's a good value for an under-$100 keyboard. I wasn't sure that I'd like so little resistance in a key switch, but I do like the lighter required down-force; and if I choose to use a heavier switch, I have alternative KBs. I am, however, enjoying this MX Red keyboard; and I'm not sure if I want to return to a heavier key switch.

Offline aref

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:10:25 »

Haha the exact same thing crossed my mind as well.

I have three neighbors I know of who have mechanical keyboards. But they're not as 'committed' to KBs as those of us on GH.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:30:03 »
That is very cool actually. I am trying to get more people over here to try them out. The guy sitting next to me in the office and couldn't resist after hearing MX Blues for a few months before he finally caved and bought a QFR Stealth, also with Blues.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:15:20 »
Using a Ducky Pro II with reds.  It's great to type on.  I'm much more a linear fan than I am a tactile feedback fan to be honest.  I like blacks as well but found my hands getting tired after a bit.  Reds have been solid for both gaming and typing and I'm content to stick with them for now.

Though if someone can ever convince Microsoft to make an Ergo 4000 with reds, I would be extremely pleased.

Offline aref

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:49:48 »
That is very cool actually. I am trying to get more people over here to try them out. The guy sitting next to me in the office and couldn't resist after hearing MX Blues for a few months before he finally caved and bought a QFR Stealth, also with Blues.

Using a Ducky Pro II with reds.  It's great to type on.  I'm much more a linear fan than I am a tactile feedback fan to be honest.  I like blacks as well but found my hands getting tired after a bit.  Reds have been solid for both gaming and typing and I'm content to stick with them for now.

Though if someone can ever convince Microsoft to make an Ergo 4000 with reds, I would be extremely pleased.

ynrozturk: It's nice to have people living near you who share a common interest.

Niomosy: I find MX Blacks place too much strain on my fingers; and the result I make typing errors from not being able to nimbly move my fingers over the keyboard. Thus far, I quite like the K65 and MX Red key switches--I'm m not even looking into buying other keyboards or key switches. It may be that I've found the key switch for myself.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:06:07 »
GH: I had occasion to use MX Red switches to type a document for a neighbor. I hadn't liked Red switches for typing; however, after having no choice at my neighbor's house, I found myself being more mindful of my typing/accuracy and they worked well. I, of course, had to use a lighter touch, i.e., more mindful overall finger pressure throughout each key-strike, than I use with me MX Blue and 55-gram Topre switches. The medium to heavier key switches allow one to be a bit more casual at grazing key-caps' tops and, of course, permit heavier resting-finger pressure because of the required gram force to actuate heavier switches.

I seldom read threads/posts discussing a preference for MX Red switches. Are there any GH members using an MX Red keyboard for typing documents or general use?

I use the MX Cherry Red switch and have been using them for over a year and a half, closing onto 2 years now. I love the feel of the Red switch, how light they are,  how linear they are and so on, they are just a fantastic switch. I've tried switching to browns, but I just couldn't do it, Reds are the switch for me.

I use them every day from typing to gaming, I will admit that from time to time I do make the occasional error on the MX Cherry Red switch but I think that is apparent for all keyboards and all keyswitches, but that may also be down to the fact that my typing rate varies from 90-125wpm, depending on how I'm feeling and what not.

I wouldn't ever get another keyswitch to be honest, apart from maybe the Topre 45g.
你搞砸了

Offline aref

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:19:22 »

I use the MX Cherry Red switch and have been using them for over a year and a half, closing onto 2 years now. I love the feel of the Red switch, how light they are,  how linear they are and so on, they are just a fantastic switch. I've tried switching to browns, but I just couldn't do it, Reds are the switch for me.

I use them every day from typing to gaming, I will admit that from time to time I do make the occasional error on the MX Cherry Red switch but I think that is apparent for all keyboards and all keyswitches, but that may also be down to the fact that my typing rate varies from 90-125wpm, depending on how I'm feeling and what not.

I wouldn't ever get another keyswitch to be honest, apart from maybe the Topre 45g.

I'll make occasional errors regardless of the key switch I'm using. My WPM is less than yours, my best is around 85 WPM these days. I find I type more accurately on this MX Red keyboard than on my other KBs. I think it has to do with using a lighter linear switch and the lack of finger strain; and my key strikes are a bit lighter because it takes so much less force to actuate the switch. I'm really pleased with MX Red switches and this keyboard.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:50:46 »

I'll make occasional errors regardless of the key switch I'm using. My WPM is less than yours, my best is around 85 WPM these days. I find I type more accurately on this MX Red keyboard than on my other KBs. I think it has to do with using a lighter linear switch and the lack of finger strain; and my key strikes are a bit lighter because it takes so much less force to actuate the switch. I'm really pleased with MX Red switches and this keyboard.

I find the most common mistake that I make is having my thumb on the space bar and sometimes I press it down without realising and what not.

Other mistakes I make are that of moving to the next key stroke because I think that I've pressed that key, so for example if i'm spelling example, sometimes it would come out like exampel type thing, but that's just me being too eager.

I think reds are also a subject of their keyboard, like  I've got a Noppoo choc mini and I've also used the Filco TKL and the filco reds, while they are the same switch, it felt like they were a better version of reds because of the build quality of the filco in comparison to the Noppoo. (I wish the noppoo had a backplate /sadface)
你搞砸了

Offline aref

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:16:44 »
I find the most common mistake that I make is having my thumb on the space bar and sometimes I press it down without realising and what not.

Other mistakes I make are that of moving to the next key stroke because I think that I've pressed that key, so for example if i'm spelling example, sometimes it would come out like exampel type thing, but that's just me being too eager.

I think reds are also a subject of their keyboard, like  I've got a Noppoo choc mini and I've also used the Filco TKL and the filco reds, while they are the same switch, it felt like they were a better version of reds because of the build quality of the filco in comparison to the Noppoo. (I wish the noppoo had a backplate /sadface)
[/quote]

I can tell you what I did with my keyboard, it may help you with the space-bar issue. I prefer elevation under the back of my keybaord, but I don't use the keyboard's legs. I use self-stick felt pads I pick up from Home Depot, Lowe's, or a hardware store. I place two columns of three stacked pads at either end of the keyboard. I find the pitch allows my hands to float freely over the keys; and my thumbs, because of the pitch, rest gently on the space bar. So I never have accidental space-bar strikes. When it comes to elevation, preferences will vary; and some like a flat keyboard. For me, I find the elevation works.

I also have miscues when typing; but it's because I'm typing faster than I should. I know the best way to type is with a tempo, fast or slow, but when we're trying to keep up with our thoughts, it's easy to forget about form and focus only on getting one's prose on the screen.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 13:29:42 »
I also have miscues when typing; but it's because I'm typing faster than I should. I know the best way to type is with a tempo, fast or slow, but when we're trying to keep up with our thoughts, it's easy to forget about form and focus only on getting one's prose on the screen.

Wrona says this, and I agree, that you should type every word to the maximum speed possible and slow down on difficult words. It makes no sense deliberately slowing your typing speed just to maintain some sort of tempo, it's not music and you don't get style points. Take advantage of what's easy and take some time on the few more difficult words.

Offline aref

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:48:39 »
Wrona says this, and I agree, that you should type every word to the maximum speed possible and slow down on difficult words. It makes no sense deliberately slowing your typing speed just to maintain some sort of tempo, it's not music and you don't get style points. Take advantage of what's easy and take some time on the few more difficult words.
[/quote]

Wrona is an exceptional typist. I think everyone has to find what works best for them. I tried the tempo thing, but could never stay at one pace. I think it natural for most anyone to type familiar words a bit faster than more difficult and unfamiliar words. Really, style points? That was a necessary comment? C'mon. All we're doing here is passing along information. If it's worthy, hold on to it; and if not, discard it. It's that simple.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:19:58 »
I wasn't being rude, I was just giving reasons to which you would want to type at your maximum speed depending on the word. Also, selling your Topre because of an MX Red.. Now that's dedication.

Offline aref

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:39:11 »
I wasn't being rude, I was just giving reasons to which you would want to type at your maximum speed depending on the word. Also, selling your Topre because of an MX Red.. Now that's dedication.

No offense taken. I think many of us type as fast as we're able in an effort to increase our speed. The one video I watched where Wrona was competing, I was amazed at rapidly he was able to transfer what he sees on a screen to a keyboard. He's a prodigy at the keyboard.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:07:31 »

I should have elaborated a little more. They feel just like other switches when bottoming out. I just don't like bottoming out and with reds that is too easy for me. Also, on the flipside of that, I had too many accidental keypresses. Nice switch, just not for me.

Offline remdell

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:18:13 »
Reds are probably my favorite MX switch.  Clicky and tactile switches are fun, but when it comes to general work, typing, and gaming, MX reds just have that longer longevity of use for me.  Clickiness can be annoying after awhile and an inconvenience at night.  I think red switches by themselves are great switches for office workers and for those who live with others who want to get into the mechanical keyboard game but don't want to break the bank with Topre.  However, I wouldn't recommend reds to previous low-profile rubber dome users.  I use to be big on key-grazing when touch typing (I didn't use home row) before I switched to mechanical keyboards.  Initially, I really hated browns and reds  because lightly grazing or resting your fingers on these switches would cause them to actuate, but after a year of using mechanical keyboards (eventually eliminating most of my key-resting and key-grazing habits), I've found them to be quite enjoyable and useful.

Lubing, dampening, and using slightly heavier springs on my MX reds definitely put it up to par with my silenced and lubed 55g 87U.  My reds just lack that subtle Topre thock when bottoming out.  Of course, reds by themselves are worlds apart from unsilenced Topre. 

If you plan to dampen your MX reds, I suggest trying out different O-rings, landing pads, and case dampeners (e.g shelf liner).  I personally like O-rings that are somewhat squishy because they bottom-out softly and create less finger fatigue for me.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101