Author Topic: SterlingKey™ - Turn any Mechanical Keyboard into Bluetooth  (Read 5052 times)

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
SterlingKey™ - Turn any Mechanical Keyboard into Bluetooth
« on: Sat, 30 September 2023, 06:57:09 »
Hello everybody!

I'm happy to share with you a device I've been working on for the past few months, SterlingKey™. It can can turn your keyboard into bluetooth! It can be attached to keyboards with detachable cables, both Micro USB and Type C versions will be made, as well as non-detachable keyboards using a small adapter, as seen in the photos.

It can be connected to 3 devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) and using a keyboard shortcut I can seamlessly switch between them. The battery lasts around 15 hours of continuous use in this prototype version.

Multimedia keys are supported! Volume up/down, play/pause etc., as well as any other multimedia buttons your keyboard may have, for example Browser, Home etc.

Keyboard/Mouse combos are also fully supported, as seen in the photos. It can also convert 2.4GHz devices into Bluetooth.

Feel free to ask my anything in the comments, or let me know if you have any suggestions, and I'll be happy to answer any question you may have!

If you would like to follow my development, check the below links, thank you!

https://sterling-key.com/
https://www.instagram.com/sterlinghawktech/
https://www.youtube.com/@SterlingHawkTech
https://discord.gg/kBXkXdJrqQ

Offline nathanchere

Re: SterlingKey™ - Turn any Mechanical Keyboard into Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:22:19 »
Looks interesting, though I don't trust anything on Kickstarter any more.

If it's still in an 'open to changes' stage, I'd suggest not having it like a giant dongle like that.

1. because you greatly limit the cases it will be compatible with
2. it will look like ass in many instances, keeping in mind the target demographic here are people who spend excessive amounts of money in pursuit of desktop aesthetics

I love the idea though. It would breathe new life into a lot of boards which are otherwise gathering dust on shelves and in boxes.

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 14:21:05 »
Thank you!
Understandable, but Kickstarter is something I might do so I can make it even better. It already is a working project and I'm very transparent with any issues/improvements that I encounter. I'm also very active in my discord. I understand Kickstarter projects have a bad rep, and I'm trying to prove that I'm not a scammer like other similar projects.

As for your suggestions, I've already done almost everything I could to make it as small as possible. It's physically not possible to make it smaller, unless I change the battery, which will make the device require more frequent charging. I don't feel it's so big, but I suppose it's personal preference and I'm probably biased 'cause I'm making it.

Would you say the design is not good? Adding more curves or something else would make it look better? This still is very subjective, as to me it looks sleek, minimalistic, and not bad at all.
The target demographic is not necessarily purely for aesthetics. This also helps with productivity, as it can be connected to three devices at once and switch between them easily. It could also be used in situations where the device is far away and a cable is just not that practical. For some scenarios it's definitely cheaper to just buy a 10$ bluetooth keyboard, but I've met people that told me they would benefit from my device.

I was thinking of adding a USB port on the device, for keyboards that either don't have a detachable cable, or the port is in a weird place which makes it impossible to be plugged in directly.

What price would you say would be fair for this?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2023, 14:33:03 by sterlinghawktech »

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 17:08:55 »
I agree with the other user in that it is entirely too large. And that's not your fault, but users expect dongles to be very small if not near flush like with wireless receivers.

The issue I see is in your design the keyboard has to be powered via the dongle, not to mention powering the bluetooth transmitter. You may have better luck with adoption if you design the dongle at the end of a coiled cable and design a visually appealing (rounded corners, etc) box that the cable plugs into. That way you can aesthetically lay the coiled cable on your desk and still enjoy the cable management that wireless provides. Using a cable end would allow for a greater compatibility with cases.

A spitball idea would be to integrate the bluetooth transmitter and battery into a small pot you could plant a succulent or fake plant in. That way the transmitter is integrated as part of the desk's vibe and doesn't look out of place, but can retain the same size/form factor for the battery. Just an idea.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 18:18:54 »
Thank you for your comment! I would think that users would expect it to have some bulk due to the battery, since obviously I have to power also the keyboard, but I also agree that people have high expectations.

As mentioned in my previous comment, I will have a full USB female port on the device itself (as opposed to having an adapter as seen in the pics), so the user will definitely be able to use a coiled cable and hide the device anywhere, but I think that's up to the user to decide where to place the device. It's not strictly necessary to plug directly into the keyboard, even on this prototype.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 01:53:35 »
Yeah to clarify the above, the issue I had isn't with the size itself, is with the size in the dongle format. Spending hundreds (or thousands) on a boutique keyboard and then attaching a plastic brick to the back is going to be a hard sell. If it's attached to a cable it can be maybe hidden behind something or used as part of a stand. For example if I had something like that attached by cable instead of dongle I'd be inclined to hide it in a 3d printed phone charging stand or similar. You'd also get away from needing to have both a USB micro or USB type C model. Different keyboard? Just use different cable. And then it would also work with older boards with clunky old USB mini connectors.

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 04:32:25 »
Definitely, I see what you mean. I could just offer two versions then. One without a micro-usb/type-c port, with only a USB Female port, so the user can attach any cable they want, and one version like the one shown in the pics, for people that might want to attach it directy to the keyboard, like me.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:06:41 »
Definitely, I see what you mean. I could just offer two versions then. One without a micro-usb/type-c port, with only a USB Female port, so the user can attach any cable they want, and one version like the one shown in the pics, for people that might want to attach it directy to the keyboard, like me.

I think that's a good idea. The only other concern with the dongle is the amount of stress on the USB connector. It will be bearing the whole weight of the dongle, so reinforcing the USB port/connector will be something to consider. Good luck!
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:16:08 »
I really like this ideal, although agree with most that I would not want to plug it directly into any of my boards. For me the size is irrelevant as long as you can just plug the USB-A end of any cable from a keyboard into it. That will allow for it to be put somewhere out of sight & be whatever size you need it to be for the batteries. Very glad to hear you are already considering making two variants, one that plugs directly into the keyboard & one that can be connected with a regular USB cable. Gonna keep an eye on this for sure!

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 18:12:59 »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Do you think it's worth going with the two mentioned variants, or have one with a type-c to USB-A adapter, as seen in the pics? The adapter can be made a lot smaller than the one shown in the pics. So is it better to have a dedicated port on the device, which will make it potentially larger, or is the adapter sufficient?

As for the stress on the USB connector, I've made it as light as possible, and the only weight comes from the battery. I haven't noticed any degradation on my port, and it shouldn't stress it that much, but I'll definitely have to do some more tests.

Offline Applet

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 07:16:16 »
The biggest issue with solutions like this is battery life. Your run of the mill wired keyboard is usually not designed in a battery friendly way, the adapter/device can't fix that.

I appreciate that there's estimations on this on your website and that it's not vague and over promising
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2023, 07:17:48 by Applet »

Offline invismonk

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 08:28:10 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875117024/geo-add-wireless-to-your-custom-keyboard/comments

Just to give you some background, Ahmed Gremory from Canada was the person behind the last Bluetooth dongle project that got a lot of attention.
Unfortunately, he took the funds and got very quiet just after the 3 month time period for chargebacks expired. He then sent out some emails about delays to extend this period to six months before he completely dipped.

There was quite a bit of discussion on how well this dongle would work with things like standby modes and battery life. If I remember correctly, the big question was how to wake it up from sleep mode because the mcu in a keyboard always pulls, it can by itself not be put to sleep. It meant you couldn't wake it up by typing on your keyboard; you'd have to physically switch it on. Also, the battery life was a concern, especially with the added power consumption from any RGB lightings, which would affect the size of the dongle as well.

Offline sterlinghawktech

• SterlingKey
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 11:08:18 »
@Applet
You're absolutely correct. Normal keyboards are not optimized for battery use, and they don't need to be. Newer keyboards tend to be more power efficient, and LEDs are pretty efficient nowadays as well. I don't have other keyboards to test, so the runtime on my website is based on my keyboard, with the LEDs turned off. When I finalize the design I will run more tests to have an accurate representation of many use cases, and of course I will be very transparent about the whole process. Like @invismonk mentioned, there was another similar kickstarter product which was a scam, and it had many red flags, I'm doing my best to prove that my product actually works and it can exist.

@invismonk I've read all the comments on that kickstarter campaign a few months ago, I'm aware of that project, and in my opinion it was very very obvious that it was a scam. They never showed the product actually work, all the gifs look like stock footage, and the "new" design is only a CGI render. No progress was made on that at all.
As for the standby mode, in my implementation I have a touch button on top of my device, so just by touching it, it wakes the device up and in a few seconds (1-2 max) it automatically reconnects to the connected devices. Having an mcu that constantly reads from the keyboard is not possible, for obvious reasons, as it would require the keyboard to be turned on all the time, which would drain the battery, and without direct access to the internals, which cannot be done through USB, there's no other way to detect keyboard presses unfortunately. The touch button is a very nice way of doing it personally. The RGB will indeed drain more battery, I will do my best to optimize at least my mcu to maximize the runtime. In the current prototype, RGB (at max brightness) is an issue. At low brightness it actually works pretty decently, but I don't have accurate measurements, yet.