Author Topic: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (100% shipped)  (Read 94353 times)

Offline Umio1

[GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (100% shipped)
« on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 20:36:43 »

Hello everyone this is the group buy page for the Canvas and Mahjong 65% left hand numpad keyboards. Google forms for orders are up NOW, and are posted here:

>>>HERE IS THE ORDER FORM TO FILL REMAINING SPOTS FROM OTHERS WHO LEFT THE MAHJONG GROUP BUY: CLOSED<<<

>>> Canvas Order Form: Closed not enough orders <<<

Forms will close once 50 Mahjong and 25 Canvas requests are in.
First group buy will ship in US only.
After forms close, I will send out Paypal Invoices giving a week to pay before I choose another person to take your spot.
Production will start once all orders are placed and will take ~3 Months before I receive them. (This is long because of the cornavirus's affects on manufacturing around the world)
Once I receive them I will upload firmware and test each one and should send them out within the month.

Estimate production start Date: June 6, 2020
Estimated Ship Date: August 1, 2020

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi-Profile Mahjong Info
For the first group buy there will be 50 of these cases made.
I will not be shipping outside the US for the first group buy.
Kit includes: Top, Bottom, emblem, Switch Plate, PCB, Mounting Hardware (screws, VHB Tape), and Hotswap Sockets.
You will have to Purchase on your own: 2 Aluminum feet, 6 2u Plate Mount Stabilizers, 1 6.25u Plate Mount Stabilizer, Key caps, Key switches,and a USB-C power cable.
The only component you will have to solder are the hotswap sockets.
There will be 5 Powder coat options available and can be different between each bottom and top (or you can leave the case smooth/bead blasted): https://imgur.com/R2IOqIs
Only layout will be 65% + LH Numpad with 2 1.25u right Ctrl/Alt:  https://imgur.com/bVz2kv2

Tech Specs
Material: Top & Bottom (Case) are 6061-T6 Aluminum, Switch Plate & Inlay Design are C360 Brass.
Dimensions (LxWxH): 401mm x 111mm x 21mm
Weight: ~700g (case, plate, inlay)
Angle: None, or 7 deg (with feet)
PCB: Hot-swap switch attachment, Plate mount stabs

Price
- Bottom, Top, Switch Plate, Emblem, PCB, mounting hardware, Hotswap Sockets --- $200
- Buffer for 5% Paypal invoice charge & shipping materials --- $20
- US Shipping --- $30

Additional Parts:
- Bottom (powder coated aluminum) $65
- Top (powder coated aluminum) $55
- Emblem (smooth brass) $25
- Switch Plate (smooth brass) $25
- PCB $30 (If available)

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/0sVRzqA
Color Examples: https://imgur.com/zklCIZ7

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Low Profile Canvas
For the first group buy there will be 25 of these cases made.
I will not be shipping outside the US for the first group buy.
Kit includes: Bottom, Switch Plate, PCB, Mounting Hardware (screws), and Hotswap Sockets.
You will have to Purchase on your own: 2 Aluminum feet, 6 2u Plate Mount Stabilizers, 1 6.25u Plate Mount Stabilizer, Key caps, Key switches,and a USB-C power cable.
The only component you will have to solder are the hotswap sockets.
There will be 5 Anodize options available and can be different between each bottom and switchplate (or you can leave the case smooth/bead blasted) Note that anodize colors cannot be produced very accurately and may slightly different in color: https://imgur.com/kW7wvRv
Only layout will be 65% + LH Numpad with 2 1.5u right Ctrl/Alt:  https://imgur.com/d3mPGkM

Tech Specs
Material: Bottom & Switch Plate are 6061-T6 Aluminum
Dimensions (LxWxH): 396mm x 111mm x 12mm
Weight: ~500g (case, plate, inlay)
Angle: None, or 7 deg (with feet)
PCB: Hot-swap switch attachment, Plate mount stabs

Price
- Bottom, Top, Switch Plate, Emblem, PCB, mounting hardware, Hotswap Sockets --- $150
- Buffer for 5% Paypal invoice charge & shipping materials --- $20
- US Shipping --- $30

Additional Parts
- Bottom (anodized aluminum) $70
- Switch Plate (anodized aluminum) $25
- PCB $40 (If available)

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/kINbk02

Extra Info

Keyboards will be programmed using QMK from: https://kbfirmware.com/

For more background information on the project: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104023.0

All files can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/Neil-de-grass-eating-Bisson/Canvas-Mahjong-Keyboards

Link to aluminum Feet: https://kbdfans.com/products/anodized-cnc-aluminum-feet-1pair
You can use any feet you want; though the hole size is made for m4 screws, 100o countersink on the Canvas, and 90o countersink on the Mahjong.

Link to Stabs: https://novelkeys.xyz/products/cherry-stabilizers?_pos=1&_sid=dbac4755f&_ss=r
Make sure you get 6 2u, and 1 6.25u Plate mounted.

UPDATES

March 16, 2020 - Orders for Mahjong Hi-profile have hit 50; the form is closed for new submissions!
If you need to edit your order please PM me with the changes you would like!
I will try to send out Invoices this weekend, but may not get to them all because i'll be out of town for a day or two. I'll also try to get the Extra PCB's quoted this week; its looking like we'll get a pretty good quote because a decent amount of people put in for them. Updates will keep coming as I make progress.
Canvas Low-Pro is moving pretty slow, so i'll evaluate the interest in a week or so.

March 24, 2020 - I have already gotten a few messages about a request to delay the group buy due to the Corona-virus affecting almost all business in the world. An email has been sent with a form to all people in the Mahjong GB: Proposing a delay for invoices to be released until April 17th at the earliest.
Thanks All!

March 27, 2020 - I will be delaying the GB and checking back in around April 17th and seeing how everything is progressing with the virus; hopefully get a good estimate of when a good time to send out invoices would be. Anyone who will be dropping out due to the delay please send me a PM.
Mid April I will be putting another form up to collect extra entries to offset anyone who can no longer participate in the group buy.
Hope everyone is doing well!

April 24, 2020 - OK! it seems that everyone who contacted me in the past is doing better now and we should be able to continue with the Group buy; I will be sending out Invoices this weekend if there are no other reasons for delay!

April 26, 2020 - Invoices have been sent out today for the Mahjong! check your inbox/spam; if you can't find it and you think you are on the list, please send me a message with your email you used so i can check to see if you submitted an email with a typo.
All invoice recipients will have 10 days to pay from the day they receive the invoice; after the 10 days are up (Wednesday, May 6th)  I will put up another Google Form so I can fill any missing spots.

May 6, 2020 - A form has been posted to allow people to fill the spots of those who have cancelled for the Mahjong Group buy here: Closed, production will start once the required invoices have been paid.

June 1, 2020 - Good News Everyone! We have Hit MOQ and should be able to start production this weekend!
Through the week i'll be letting the remaining unpaid invoices complete their orders up until this weekend where we will start production with or without them!

June 14, 2020 -  CNC components (Top, Bottom, Emblem) have entered production and are set to be complete around July 10th.
Still to be ordred: Switch Plate, PCB's, & Fasteners
Thanks All!

June 14, 2020 -  PCB is now submitted for production; estimated received by July 24th.
Still to be ordred: Switch Plate,  & Fasteners

June 20, 2020 -  Major milestone: all parts have been put into production!!! Fasteners have already been received and everything seems to be going smooth.

July 17, 2020 - All parts have been received; sorting all the shipments and prepping to ship is the next big step! I built up 1 keyboard full and everything is working perfectly!
Pictures of the finished build here: https://imgur.com/a/ayCn2Z9

July 27, 2020 -  About 85% of the orders have shipped! A couple of the remaining orders have problems with addresses, and some others with quality issues which i will be talking to the supplier to fix!

October 23, 2020 - The last few boards are back from polishing and have been Shipped! GB should be complete once they receive their boards!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2020, 16:03:19 by Umio1 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile Left Hand Numpad Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:04:49 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:48:04 »
Oof, US only, that wasn't mentioned in the IC (at least that I saw)... I was really hoping to get one shipped to Canada :(

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:20:54 »
Ready for this  :)

Offline Umio1

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:39:11 »
Oof, US only, that wasn't mentioned in the IC (at least that I saw)... I was really hoping to get one shipped to Canada :(

Yeah sorry about that, I'm hoping to keep this as simple as possible for the first run just in case there are any logistical issues, etc.

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:45:19 »
LET'S GOOO!!!!

Offline 9mmninjamonkey

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 12:58:58 »
Nice, looking forward to this.

Offline Shiftbuzz

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 13:16:10 »

As a fellow canadian, this also makes me sad  :(

Offline Snakeboat

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 14:15:40 »

Yep, I've been following closely for months... Sad times.

Offline Vlxn

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 15:09:31 »

If you live in Greater Van/Lower mainland you can get it shipped to a place in Point Roberts; it's usually what I do for these kind of situations :/

Offline pipsay

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:05:18 »
Another sad face for US only :( RIP Canada

Enjoy, friends.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:10:50 »
Is shipping $30 no matter how close we live to Phoenix or how much we order?

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 21:12:16 »

If you live in Greater Van/Lower mainland you can get it shipped to a place in Point Roberts; it's usually what I do for these kind of situations :/

As a fellow canadian, this also makes me sad  :(

Another sad face for US only :( RIP Canada

Enjoy, friends.

I'm debating setting up a US address (using nyaddress.ca or similar) and making a stop over the border to pick up the package. I'd be okay with shipping packages to other Canadians if anyone else wanted to use the address as well, feel free to PM me if you're interested. I have a bunch of confirmed trades on r/mechmarket (same username), can verify that account is mine if needed.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 23:16:21 »
Do I have to solder the hotswap sockets, or can I skip it and just go straight into soldering the switches onto the pcb? Also, what materials are the badge and plate made out of for the hipro version?

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 23:17:54 »
If you look at the Pcb photos from the ic thread, this doesn’t support soldering of switches directly. You need to solder the hot swap sockets.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 23:42:33 »
PCB is hotswap socket only. Plate and emblem on the Hi-Pro are made out of brass.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 00:31:22 »
PCB is hotswap socket only. Plate and emblem on the Hi-Pro are made out of brass.

If you look at the Pcb photos from the ic thread, this doesn’t support soldering of switches directly. You need to solder the hot swap sockets.

Thank you!

Offline Umio1

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 00:43:41 »
Is shipping $30 no matter how close we live to Phoenix or how much we order?

Yes, im keeping this a flat rate just in case something happens (to the shipping prices) between now and shipping the keyboard. Most of the shipping cost comes from weight and package size and not too much on distance.

If you live in the Phoenix metro area I'd be happy to meet up somewhere and deliver it myself to take away the shipping cost.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:01:22 »
What do you mean by "PCB (if available)"?

Offline JayVoltage

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:42:02 »
rip, guess i'll be a waiting aussie.  Rooting for your future groupbuy rounds

Offline Umio1

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 13:23:50 »
What do you mean by "PCB (if available)"?

The PCB manufacturer I'm using doesn't let input your own quantity of parts to order so the next step from 50 PCB's would be 75; though I do have control of how many are assembled. If not enough people want an extra PCB the cost to make those extras would be pretty high.

I'll give the option in the group buy, but before sending out the quote I would ask everyone who wanted an extra PCB if the quoted price for the extra PCB's is reasonable.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:08:59 »
The PCB manufacturer I'm using doesn't let input your own quantity of parts to order so the next step from 50 PCB's would be 75; though I do have control of how many are assembled. If not enough people want an extra PCB the cost to make those extras would be pretty high.

I'll give the option in the group buy, but before sending out the quote I would ask everyone who wanted an extra PCB if the quoted price for the extra PCB's is reasonable.

That makes sense. Hopefully there's enough interest for extra PCBs. If not, I'll pick one up during the next round of the GB (if there is one).

Offline ahtanu

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 16:27:06 »
oh no, US only, that's disappointing :(

Offline Brordrenn

Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (Order forms open!)
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:13:44 »
If you edit your form will it lower your position in the group buy?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:28:06 »

I'll test it right now

Offline Umio1

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:29:52 »

I'll test it right now

Looks like modifying your response will change your position so i would hold off on modifying it till after everything is set.

I turned off the function for now and will enable it later.

Offline Brordrenn

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:30:47 »
Cool thanks for checking.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:36:33 »

I'll test it right now

Looks like modifying your response will change your position so i would hold off on modifying it till after everything is set.

Shoot, I hope I didn't lower my position too much.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 20:38:28 »

I'll test it right now

Shoot, I hope I didn't lower my position too much.

You should be good, 22 responses so far.

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 12:21:09 »
Oo, since it is a limited run, have you considered serializing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline Umio1

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:00:59 »
Oo, since it is a limited run, have you considered serializing?

I'll look into it; have to find a good location for the text on the case then see if it is worth adding to the board (if it cost's almost nothing ill add it)

Offline ehudpower

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:12:24 »
First time doing a keyboard like this, how do we tell if we got aboard coming or not or even I ordered right?

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:37:43 »
First time doing a keyboard like this, how do we tell if we got aboard coming or not or even I ordered right?

If Umio1 set up the Google Form correctly, there should be a limit of how many people can fill out the form. If you were able to fill it, in theory you should be good. When your order is done (ETA July 2020), Umio1 or whoever their manufacturer/distributer will send you an email through Paypal with a tracking number.

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:09:37 »
That's assuming it hits the MOQ or the total number of units set to be sold in this GB.

I think there are at least 2 main reasons why this GB is moving really slowly.

1. Self soldered hotswap sockets
2. Plate mounted stabs

Is there a number of orders that must be hit for this GB to proceed to manufacturing or will it proceed no matter the number of orders just with increased prices?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 11:50:55 »

If Umio1 set up the Google Form correctly, there should be a limit of how many people can fill out the form. If you were able to fill it, in theory you should be good. When your order is done (ETA July 2020), Umio1 or whoever their manufacturer/distributer will send you an email through Paypal with a tracking number.

Yes this is correct.

Once I get all 50 orders, I'll send out Invoices through Paypal that will allow people to pay for their order. Once I get all payments I will complete the quote for production and provide updates on the actions as they happen.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:04:24 »
That's assuming it hits the MOQ or the total number of units set to be sold in this GB.

I think there are at least 2 main reasons why this GB is moving really slowly.

1. Self soldered hotswap sockets
2. Plate mounted stabs

Is there a number of orders that must be hit for this GB to proceed to manufacturing or will it proceed no matter the number of orders just with increased prices?

Is there a big enough difference between Plate mount and PCB mount stabs other than the connection method?

I'll still be going ahead with the GB if we don't hit the 50, I wouldn't expect more than a $10 increase if anything were to happen (or I could allow a small amount of international orders: this would delay the production little bit). We're almost there though, only 10 more people till we hit 50 orders.

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:11:48 »
Is there a big enough difference between Plate mount and PCB mount stabs other than the connection method?

I'll still be going ahead with the GB if we don't hit the 50, I wouldn't expect more than a $10 increase if anything were to happen (or I could allow a small amount of international orders: this would delay the production little bit). We're almost there though, only 10 more people till we hit 50 orders.

Plate mount is more unstable than PCB mount and hence produces more rattle. Also there are more choices of PCB mount stabs.

I saw your PCB layout. It can be hard to redesign it for PCB mount stabs around the USB port and the microcontroller.

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:13:55 »
When done correctly, the stabs aren't a big difference. But plates are harder to reach that threshold imo, and there's more variety of pcb stabs (C3, Zeal, gmk, cherry). Pcbs stabs also look nicer for the most part.

Nonetheless though, still 100% backing this project! The left-hand num pad is something there should be more of! And the price point of this board is supreme!

Offline Umio1

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 14:44:27 »

Plate mount is more unstable than PCB mount and hence produces more rattle. Also there are more choices of PCB mount stabs.

I saw your PCB layout. It can be hard to redesign it for PCB mount stabs around the USB port and the microcontroller.

Yeah, when i was designing i was only thinking of using the plate mounted so there's lots of components under the space bar and backspace:

Offline Vladelf

• Keeb Neeb
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 10:20:22 »
To bad US only but I've read the reason.

I'm just a hungry European waiting for a good left hand numpad ;D.
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Offline Winstone

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 20:48:12 »
It is a terrific design especially for CAD user!!! But shipping in US only is so sadddddddd.

Offline ehudpower

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 02:21:13 »
Now the fun part. Finding the right keycaps for this board!!

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 09:22:47 »

I'll rock GMK Darling on these babies, so happy the red colorway uses the same RAL number!

Offline ehudpower

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 10:11:07 »

I'll rock GMK Darling on these babies, so happy the red colorway uses the same RAL number!
Nice, I'm thinking of going this route but not sure if I need to get other keys or not https://tinyurl.com/u8qll4g

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 16:03:11 »

Nice, I'm thinking of going this route but not sure if I need to get other keys or not https://tinyurl.com/u8qll4g
You'll need a 1.75u right shift

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Umio1

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 18:24:00 »

Yep, The right shift is a 1.75U

Offline Umio1

Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (Hi-Pro Orders Complete!)
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 00:49:31 »
UPDATES

March 16, 2020 - Orders for Mahjong Hi-profile have hit 50; the form is closed for new submissions!
If you need to edit your order please PM me with the changes you would like!
I will try to send out Invoices this weekend, but may not get to them all because i'll be out of town for a day or two. I'll also try to get the Extra PCB's quoted this week; its looking like we'll get a pretty good quote because a decent amount of people put in for them. Updates will keep coming as I make progress.
Canvas Low-Pro is moving pretty slow, so i'll evaluate the interest in a week or so.
Thanks All!

Offline ehudpower

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 10:48:25 »

Yep, The right shift is a 1.75U

Yeah I get that but hard to figure out what ones have it. Been looking to go this route  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829598531.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.2d066d23pE5FwJ&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=3bf05907-0c8b-48f5-a23a-b595b75d29ab

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:26:54 »
Hey @ehudpower, get a set that has more than 104 (preferably 150+) caps.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:36:14 by Jaltr »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:31:28 »
Hey Umio, how would you choose someone else to take a spot? Would you make another form for the ones who missed out?