Author Topic: [IC] SA Leviathan | Group buy is live!  (Read 17723 times)

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
[IC] SA Leviathan | Group buy is live!
« on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:30:35 »
GROUP BUY IS LIVE!! GB THREAD: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100372.0

https://kbdfans.cn/products/coming-soon-maxkey-sa-leviathan-keycaps-set

Hi everyone! OCM here. (It's my first GH post :D)

Many apologies for the long silence, been working diligently on getting this set ready for production. But now, I have a bunch of good news and cool things to show you! Your support, feedback, and input on the last rounds of IC was monumentally helpful in getting these kits to the place they are now and I am excited to show you all of the cool things we have built together.

The first bit of exciting news... I have teamed up with /u/mkultracorp on this set. He has been a huge help in getting the ergo and ortho kits *just* right and has been helping me out by validating those kits in the ortho and ergo communities.

So, without further ado... SA LEVIATHAN IS COMING.

Like its Lovecraftian namesake, SA Leviathan rises from the deep and murky waters where the eldritch beasts of yore may yet dwell.  It won’t summon the Great Old Ones, but the deep grey blue and accents of bright green will be sure to bring a little bit of the unexplored ocean depths to your desk.

GROUP BUY UPDATES | APRIL 3, 2019

• Pricing added below (GK64/660 kit pricing bumped up to $15 from $10 to meet tooling costs)
  • Ortho kit has had 4 keys added - R2 BKSP, R4 UP, R3 RAISE, R3 LOWER (all at no cost to you!)
  • Samples are here and match the provided ABS references perfectly: https://imgur.com/a/qy5nSst
  • This [coming soon] Group Buy page is on KBDfans here: https://kbdfans.cn/products/coming-soon-maxkey-sa-leviathan-keycaps-set
  • THIS GROUP BUY WILL GO LIVE ON APRIL 24TH AND WILL RUN TIL MAY 23RD!
  • SHOULD BE IN YOUR HANDS BY AUGUST OR SEPTEMBER :D!

KIT PRICING (Confirmed by Wei @ KBDfans)

Base - $60
Alts - $25
Numpad - $20
GK64/660 - $15
Mac - $10
Novelties - $20
Ergo Blanks  - $25
40 Blanks - $25
Spacebar (Blue) - $10
Spacebar (Green) - $10
ISO - $20
Ortho 40/50 - $30
Ortho + Alpha - $60
Ergo + Alpha - $55
40 Blanks + Alpha - $55

Shipping will be handled through KBDfans and should consist of his usual shipping rates/methods.
Will update if pricing changes occur at any time, but these are considered final.

RENDERS & KITS

We officially have renders! Huge shout-out to /u/Oblotzky and /u/CQ_Cumbers for making these real, /u/gridishere for providing the 3d files for their Grid600, and to /u/mkultracorp for helping decide the keebs and layouts to feature...

WHAT TO EXPECT VERY SOON

Mechmarket IC: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/b45j5o/ic_sa_leviathan_huge_ic_update_and_gb_news/?
MechanicalKeyboard IC: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/b45k2m/ic_sa_leviathan_huge_ic_update_and_gb_news/

Sign up for an email notification when it goes live: https://goo.gl/forms/PktNmcTMzbY9UANA2

UPDATE RE: MY FIRST EMAIL BLAST -
Going to get out in front of this with an apology. I sent out a Leviathan update and, being my first email blast, didn't think to BCC the emails.
I promptly sent out an apology email, but want to get it in all of these channels.
It was an honest rookie mistake, and one I won't make again in the future.
Sorry to all of you who are unhappy with my oversight :frowning:
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2019, 15:00:54 by OneCreativeMind »

Offline vosechu

Re: [IC] SA Leviathan
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:33:32 »
Omg! You got maxkeys to do ortho! Well done!

Offline ocm

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:35:43 »
Omg! You got maxkeys to do ortho! Well done!

Thanks! It was no small effort, but with a little help from Wei and MKUltraCorp we got Maxkey on board :)

Offline vosechu

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:36:22 »
One recommendation, throw a google form link in there for people to put their email. That way you can email everyone when the gb actually launches.

Giving up your email is a bigger step than clicking like, so it’s a bit closer to real numbers. But still have to assume only like 15-20% of the signups will plonk down money.

Offline ocm

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:44:30 »
One recommendation, throw a google form link in there for people to put their email. That way you can email everyone when the gb actually launches.

Giving up your email is a bigger step than clicking like, so it’s a bit closer to real numbers. But still have to assume only like 15-20% of the signups will plonk down money.

Great idea!! Added.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:38:08 »
In for Base + Numpad + Novelties. Will pair nicely with SA Troubled mind alpas too.  Love the colors. Def in, any eta on when it will be dropped?  This and all the GMK sets currently running or to be run, I think I will not be able to pay rent for next 2 months.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:45:06 »
This is beautiful.

Offline ocm

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:59:26 »
In for Base + Numpad + Novelties. Will pair nicely with SA Troubled mind alpas too.  Love the colors. Def in, any eta on when it will be dropped?  This and all the GMK sets currently running or to be run, I think I will not be able to pay rent for next 2 months.

Didn't even think about pairing it with TM, that could look really cool! ETA for the GB is early May! This is Maxkey so hopefully it will not hurt your rent budget too much :D

Offline ocm

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:59:47 »
This is beautiful.

You're beautiful <3

Thanks bb

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:34:27 »
Really happy to see an update to this project. I asked this on your Reddit IC a little while ago, but has there been any headway with getting legends on the 40's mods?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:37:39 »
PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THIS, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

I WANT TO TYPE ON THIS LISTENING TO SYMPHONIC METAL

A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline ocm

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:40:55 »
Really happy to see an update to this project. I asked this on your Reddit IC a little while ago, but has there been any headway with getting legends on the 40's mods?

Unfortunately not going to be able to happen this go-round. Ortho legends was higher priority based on user responses, and adding 40's tooling would've made this kit unreasonably expensive :( It is my priority for my next set, which may just be Leviathan R2, who knows!

Offline ocm

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:41:26 »

JOIN THE FORM! I'LL PERSONALLY EMAIL YOU WHEN IT IS READY!

Offline IchiBalzac

• AKA MKUltraCorp
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:46:34 »
The 40s molds will be the goal of the next Maxkeys set we run.  We're rolling the cost of the new molds into our cost without raising your cost.  Basically, we are doing this for the benefit of the community vs. making much/any profit on it so there is only room to bring one new kit to life with each new colorway.

I believe this time around we brought a couple of firsts to the table with Maxkeys - ortho legends AND the combination of alphas with other kits instead of base.  This should make for better pricing to those in the ergo/ortho/40s crowd without forcing people to buy keys they will never use.  The old ways were great but it is time for the future.  A couple of other designers have done this in the past and we are happy to follow in their footsteps with this trend and now, others can do the same with Maxkeys too.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 12:04:47 »

JOIN THE FORM! I'LL PERSONALLY EMAIL YOU WHEN IT IS READY!

JOINED! MAIL ME!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 12:10:59 »

Unfortunately not going to be able to happen this go-round. Ortho legends was higher priority based on user responses, and adding 40's tooling would've made this kit unreasonably expensive :( It is my priority for my next set, which may just be Leviathan R2, who knows!

The 40s molds will be the goal of the next Maxkeys set we run.  We're rolling the cost of the new molds into our cost without raising your cost.  Basically, we are doing this for the benefit of the community vs. making much/any profit on it so there is only room to bring one new kit to life with each new colorway.

I believe this time around we brought a couple of firsts to the table with Maxkeys - ortho legends AND the combination of alphas with other kits instead of base.  This should make for better pricing to those in the ergo/ortho/40s crowd without forcing people to buy keys they will never use.  The old ways were great but it is time for the future.  A couple of other designers have done this in the past and we are happy to follow in their footsteps with this trend and now, others can do the same with Maxkeys too.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely understand that the molds aren't cheap, and I think it's really great that this set is a stepping stone to getting other compatibility in the future. I really like how the kits are broken out for this set too. So long as my wallet agrees, I will be in for the alphas + 40's mod kit. Thanks for the info and all the work you've put into this!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 20:53:36 »
Seriously now though.

From the renders the set will be a blue-ish black, kinda darker navy blue?

Offline gutsack

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 22:10:08 »
I really wish Maxkey’s quality was better. Even recent sets (SA Royalty) have uneven legends and such (lots of very thin legends, odd spacing, etc).

That said, love the color scheme here so I’m still in. But seriously, Maxkey, you’re killing me.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 01:27:52 »
Omg I'd forgotten about this project somehow! Love love love this set, and the contribution you're making towards future Maxkeys compatibility. Definitely going to grab a kit or two to support the project -- just going to be hard to decide which one! I'm not normally this spoiled for choice with easy 40% / ortho SA options  :D

Offline ocm

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 10:10:43 »
Seriously now though.

From the renders the set will be a blue-ish black, kinda darker navy blue?

The ABS chip in the post is a good reference :) Dark grey/blue similar to the Maxkey SA Calm Depths legend color. Skews more blue or grey depending on room lighting IMO.

Offline ocm

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 10:12:25 »
I really wish Maxkey’s quality was better. Even recent sets (SA Royalty) have uneven legends and such (lots of very thin legends, odd spacing, etc).

That said, love the color scheme here so I’m still in. But seriously, Maxkey, you’re killing me.

I'm going to make sure (as much as I can) that the quality matches my set of MK Calm Depths and MK Blue Grey. Got pics of the Royalty legends so I know what to look out for?

Offline ocm

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 10:13:08 »
Omg I'd forgotten about this project somehow! Love love love this set, and the contribution you're making towards future Maxkeys compatibility. Definitely going to grab a kit or two to support the project -- just going to be hard to decide which one! I'm not normally this spoiled for choice with easy 40% / ortho SA options  :D

It should be extremely affordable, more info on that soon!

Offline mgsickler

Re: [IC] SA Leviathan | Pricing added & samples on the way!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 09:23:56 »

• Going to post deskmat designs very soon to pitch to NovelKeys

Definitely on board! :)

Offline mimalik

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 12:11:38 »
Wow at this price, its game on. I hope they are able to match the quality of SP, we desparately need a new SA profile manufacturer.

Offline piit79

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 15:23:20 »
Wow, that pricing is effin refreshin'! Definitely in for this. Where's the GB? :) A matching deskmat would be awesome. Great job!

Sent from my OnePlus 6T with a rubbish gimmicky bloody annoying unreliable in-display fingerprint reader using Tapatalk

Offline ocm

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 16:29:15 »

• Going to post deskmat designs very soon to pitch to NovelKeys

Definitely on board! :)

Expect a Discord message in the next couple of days :D

Offline ocm

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 16:30:24 »
Wow at this price, its game on. I hope they are able to match the quality of SP, we desparately need a new SA profile manufacturer.

Glad to hear the price is being well received! I have no qualms with the quality of my last few Maxkey sets! Calm Depths and Royalty turned out pristine IMO.

Offline ocm

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 16:31:21 »
Wow, that pricing is effin refreshin'! Definitely in for this. Where's the GB? :) A matching deskmat would be awesome. Great job!

Sent from my OnePlus 6T with a rubbish gimmicky bloody annoying unreliable in-display fingerprint reader using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you think so :D The GB will be on KBDfans in May (earlier if we can manage). A deskmat and a few matching artisans are definitely the plan! Thanks!

Offline OnceSavedGaming

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 16:34:08 »

Glad to hear you think so :D The GB will be on KBDfans in May (earlier if we can manage). A deskmat and a few matching artisans are definitely the plan! Thanks!
This is going to be amazing! I can't wait to see what novelkeys can come up with for desk mats. Who were you thinking of going through for artisans? Any specific sculpts in mind?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 21:46:29 »
Those prices are irresistable. Nice work all round!

Offline ocm

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 06:06:57 »

This is going to be amazing! I can't wait to see what novelkeys can come up with for desk mats. Who were you thinking of going through for artisans? Any specific sculpts in mind?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Going to drop Mike @ Novelkeys a message this morning :) I've got a few artisans in mind but (in exciting news) Keyboardwear.pro will be doing a custom "Leviathan" version of their Lord of the Deep sculpt around the launch of the GB.

Offline ocm

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 06:07:51 »
Those prices are irresistable. Nice work all round!

Thanks! As long as the interest and sales are there, this will by my new Maxkey pricing structure moving forward :)

Offline Diskfix

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 14:54:36 »
 "Ortho kit with legends has been given a big thumbs up (from Wei and Maxkey) and will be produced as long as MOQ is hit."

That line truly got me hyped, so maxkeys is fine in doing ortho sets!

Offline ocm

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 07:47:18 »
"Ortho kit with legends has been given a big thumbs up (from Wei and Maxkey) and will be produced as long as MOQ is hit."

That line truly got me hyped, so maxkeys is fine in doing ortho sets!

Glad you're happy with the results of that conversation! :)

Offline zeroisnothing

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 08:56:10 »
I have been lurking around for awhile and I think this will be the first GB I join. Looks and price are awesome.

Offline ocm

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 09:44:21 »
I have been lurking around for awhile and I think this will be the first GB I join. Looks and price are awesome.

Thank you ZeroIsNothing :D
It's the first true Group Buy I'm running, so that means a lot to me.

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 11:20:16 »
I'm not the biggest fan of SA, but this looks so good, the price and the inclusion of ISO.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline ocm

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:49:45 »
I'm not the biggest fan of SA, but this looks so good, the price and the inclusion of ISO.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

I definitely understand that SA isn't everyone fav, but pricing and compatibility were definitely my biggest goals with this set :)

Offline Jaycob_Creighton

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 22:54:55 »
Great looking set!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 01:27:01 »
In for base, novelties, maybe ortho and alts

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 14:56:46 »
Yo @OneCreativeMind

Sent you a PM, if you could read it that'd be great :D

Awesome set

Offline ocm

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 18:31:36 »
Great looking set!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jaycob!

Offline ocm

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 18:32:04 »
In for base, novelties, maybe ortho and alts

Thanks! Support makes this stuff work out :)

Offline ocm

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 18:32:29 »
Yo @OneCreativeMind

Sent you a PM, if you could read it that'd be great :D

Awesome set

Replied @Gondolindrim!

Offline detinho

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 18:38:53 »
Hi

Will you include R2 backspace for ortho?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:18:37 »
Are the colors custom or are they using stock SP colors? I see that your line about colors is crossed out so it seems like SP stock colors it is?

Offline ocm

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 21:00:23 »
Hi

Will you include R2 backspace for ortho?

Stand by on that.

Offline ocm

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 21:00:57 »
Are the colors custom or are they using stock SP colors? I see that your line about colors is crossed out so it seems like SP stock colors it is?

It's Maxkey so I provided SP stock colors as reference and they matched them :)

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Wow! I was already in, but

1) thank you for taking feedback so well, I requested R4 "Up" for ortho kits less than a week ago and I'm happy to see it on here now
2) those prices are incredible. Now the only question is how many sets of novelties will I buy!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2019, 08:41:17 by dklein »

Offline ocm

Wow! I was already in, but

1) thank you for taking feedback so well, I requested R3 "Up" for ortho kits less than a week ago and I'm happy to see it on here now
2) those prices are incredible. Now the only question is how many sets of novelties will I buy!

Thanks Dklein!

Affordability/Compatibility was our goal here :) The new "UP" key is actually R4 profile due to Maxkey's 112343 layout, but is what allows standard arrow layout on an ortho build! So a Planck would user 2343 and a Preonic would use 12343.