Author Topic: What Mods (if any) would you do?  (Read 793 times)

Offline ChanceKJ

What Mods (if any) would you do?
« on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 18:00:07 »
OK, very new to this whole thing and I'm not finding anything online about the Keychron Q Max series.  No videos, threads, etc. I bought a Q6 Max with banana switches and the stock keycaps, (they feel good, sound good, & look ugly).  Is this thing just the perfect sounding/working board hence why there isn't much talk about it online mod wise? or does it need to be modded? If you've worked with one, what would you do to it straight out of the box? Tape mod, force break, something else? Obviously keycaps and switches to taste, but what should I be looking with my new purchase?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2024, 18:04:14 by ChanceKJ »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: What Mods (if any) would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 21:18:30 »
Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

I'm not all that familiar with Keychron boards but it looks like the number of products they offer has exploded since I last checked.

That board specifically is already pretty decked out. The switches are pre lubed, the board has acoustic foam, etc etc. You have some options though; it all depends on what you're interested in.

If you're interested in aesthetics, you could try different key caps. A big chunk of the community (myself included) likes GMK caps but they come with a price tag. You might even try exploring the differences between PBT and ABS keycaps.

If you're interested in sound and feel, you could sample different switches. No need to re-switch the full board; most vendors sell switches in packs of five or ten so you can try things out. Once you find some switches you really like, you can play around with filming, lubing, spring swapping, and frankenmodding. There are endless combinations, and your PCB is hot swap so the barrier to trying new switches is pretty low.

Stabilizers are almost always in need to tuning, especially with off the shelf boards.

One less obvious route but one that I've found the most satisfaction with is working on your keymap. That board is QMK compatible and Via enabled, which makes it really easy to try alternate layers and layouts. The depth here is surprising, honestly. Macros, media layers, mouse controls, home row mods, space fns, chording, etc etc. You can really do some wild things with keyboard firmware, and Via makes it so so easy to tweak on the go
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2024, 21:20:55 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Tseg

Re: What Mods (if any) would you do?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 21:20:06 »
Welcome.  Rabbit meet hole.