Author Topic: TheVan Keyboards Halloween Sale BananaSplit R2,Retro60,8Bit,White Powder Minivan  (Read 41639 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Round 2 of the BananaSplit is here!

Program your BananaSplit here: qmk.thevankeyboards.com

The BananaSplit is a passion project that uses the 60% form factor that we know and love. Sporting split-spacebars and dedicated arrow keys all in a compact board.

Our fully programmable 60% circuit board features support for QMK and TMK using our very own configurator. The PCB also supports in switch LEDs and fits in standard 60% cases.

What's offered in the kit?

6.25u Kit Includes:

BananaSplit60 PCB with universal 6.25u Plate: $85

7.00u Kit Includes:

BananaSplit60 PCB with universal 7u Plate: $85

What's new?

On top of the existing layouts, we now feature support for 7u spacebars. This opens up support for Winkeyless, HHKB, and our new 7u split spacebar layouts.
We have upgraded the configurator to offer a more user friendly experience. We have switched from TMK to QMK, offering better support for macros and other features.
This round we have redone the plates and we are offering two plate options in 1.5mm Stainless Steel T304. The PCB has also been updated to support USB Type C in both A to C and C to C configurations.

Note: This is a pre-order. Orders will be taken for 30 calendar days and close on November 30 2017. Upon orders closing, a manufacturing order will be placed. The estimated manufacturing time is 45 days.

The Retro60 is a 60% keyboard case modeled after the classic look of the Apple m0110 keyboard. Machined out of either a solid piece of aluminum or hard wood, these cases are about as high end as you can get! Included in each order is:

-Case
-Screws
-Risers

The case mounts are recessed quite deeply to accentuate SA keycaps. Risers are included to support other key profiles such as cherry, oem, DSA, XDA and more.

Note: This is a pre-order. Orders will be taken for 30 calendar days and close on November 30 2017. Upon orders closing, a manufacturing order will be placed. The estimated manufacturing time is 45 days.

Sometimes to Go Forward, We Must First Go Back

To design 8Bit we took a look at some of the most nostalgic memories of our youth and applied them to a keyset. Swords and shields, blocky fonts, two-tone gray and red. We wanted to capture that feeling of blowing on a cartridge, slapping it into a console and hitting power. No responsibility, just one goal, save the day.

Emphasis MiniVan

As the creator of the MiniVan we have chosen to make our kits with the MiniVan at the forefront. Many other sizes are supported, but by basing the base kit off of the MiniVan we are able to offer a much lower price to cover the MiniVan.

Dye Sublimated PBT in XDA Profile

This keycap set will be produced in the uniform profile, XDA, which is similar to DSA. PBT plastic will be used and the legends will be applied via dye sublimation. Below is an early sublimation sample from the XDA team. The sample also shows the plastic colors selected for the keycaps.

World 1-1 (Base) Kit

The World 1-1 kit is the beginning. It covers a MiniVan and Roadkit keyboards. It is also the core of the remaining kits and when combined offers support for many more layouts.

100% Completion (104) Kit

100% completion is all about covering a fullsize layout and many of the inbetween layouts. When paired with World 1-1, Fullsize (104), TKL (80%), and 60% are all covered. If you like to find all the secrets and collect all the achievements hidden within a game, then this is the kit for you.

Inventory Upgrade (Compatibility) Kit

Who doesn't like an upgrade? With this kit you get support for Win Keyless (WKL), BananaSplit and Planck. Don't be over encumbered by your non-standard layout, buy the inventory upgrade today!

Equipment Pack (Novelties) Kit

It's dangerous to go alone! Here, take my sword and shield. The equipment pack adds a fresh set of novelties to the mix. Alternate bottom row mods sporting a shield, sword and bow. Replacement split spacebars to power on and reset your adventures. Alternate enter and backspace keys for your standard layouts.

Sprite Pack (Icons) Kit

What would the classics be without a few sprites? In computer graphics, a sprite is a two-dimensional bitmap that is integrated into a larger scene. The Sprite pack gives you some neat alternatives for you modifiers giving a truly retro look.

Note: This is a pre-order. Orders will be taken for 30 calendar days and close on November 30 2017. Upon orders closing, a manufacturing order will be placed. The estimated manufacturing time is 90 days.

The MiniVan and Roadkit are back and they are better than ever! Both PCBs have been updated to support USB Type C in both A to C and C to C configurations. For the first time ever we will be offering a powder coated white finish.

There are three options available.

1. MiniVan Keyboard kit containing the following.

-CNC Aluminum Powder Coated White Case
-USB Type C MiniVan PCB
-Screws, bumpons, and wrench
-Genuine Cherry PCB mount stabilizers

2. Roadkit Macropad kit containing the following.

-CNC Aluminum Powder Coated White Case
-USB Type C Roadkit PCB
-Screws, bumpons, and wrench

3. Assembled MiniVan and Roadkit with XDA 8Bit Keycaps

-MiniVan assembled (standard layout) with Cherry Blue switches
-Roadkit assembled (macropad layout) with Cherry Blue switches
-XDA 8Bit Base Kit

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 18:16:19 by Arhipio »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Bumping thread  :thumb:

Offline airs

Are there any prototype pictures of the aluminum Retro 60? Sample of the space gray color?
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Are there any prototype pictures of the aluminum Retro 60? Sample of the space gray color?

Evan should be getting those tonight, I'll update the thread once we get those  :thumb:

Offline ChitownM2

Is there a list of cases for Banana Split R2 that are known to work with USB type C?

I'd like to pick up another one, but I've read elsewhere that most of the available 60% cases out there for purchase do not have an opening large enough/positioned correctly to support a Type C connection.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
We have some prototypes so we'll do some testing with a wider range of cases, but from the cases we've used it doesn't seem like an issue :)

We'll work on compiling a list.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
Can't wait to for joining the 8bit GB! The ETA is not short though.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Will R1 QMK layouts work with R2 PCBs?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I'll have to ask evan, I believe not since we added more layout options on the bottom row. We have a new configurator that support QMK now, so having to rework the QMK wheel just to get it to work on your BananaSplit is not an issue anymore.

The new configurator will support R1 BananaSplit's as well.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan

Yes they should work just fine

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs

Yes they should work just fine

Okay, good to hear. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline DrWorm

I was curious so I did some pixel counting, it looks like the 6.25 splits are: 2.75, 1.25, 2.25; 2.25, 1.25, 2.75; and 2.25, 1.75, 2.25. The 7.0 split is 2.75, 1.5, 2.75. I hope that ends up being correct, and useful for someone other than me.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
I was curious so I did some pixel counting, it looks like the 6.25 splits are: 2.75, 1.25, 2.25; 2.25, 1.25, 2.75; and 2.25, 1.75, 2.25. The 7.0 split is 2.75, 1.5, 2.75. I hope that ends up being correct, and useful for someone other than me.

That is correct

Offline timerickson

My dreams of having both a split spacebar and a 2u left shift… will have to wait for another day 😞

Offline dodgeyhack

Very exciting =) Was considering getting a wood case custom made for my next split so this is perfect!

Edit: It would be great to see some side profile shots of the case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 03:08:55 by dodgeyhack »

Offline sevenseacat

Welp, time to get my feet dirty and build my first keyboard. The Banana Split is my preferred size of board and supports the kind of layout I want!

Now to research everything else I need to know...

Offline DreLLin

Would love to see the inside of the Retro60 case and also a typing test video with the wood case.

Offline Sputnik

Absolutely in for a banana split 6.25 kit!!!
Just one question: why don't you put in stabs as for round 1? If so, I'll go with Cherry stabs, are the ones with plastic clips OK or I need screw in ones?
Thanks in advance

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Would love to see the inside of the Retro60 case and also a typing test video with the wood case.

Should be some photos on the site now if the inside. I’ll put together a typing test video of the wood case

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Just one question: why don't you put in stabs as for round 1? If so, I'll go with Cherry stabs, are the ones with plastic clips OK or I need screw in ones?
Thanks in advance

Pcb mount cherry stabs are what you want. Clip in work fine. We didn’t include stabs this time as many complained about the price and wanted to source themselves.

Offline Sputnik

Thanks in advance

Pcb mount cherry stabs are what you want. Clip in work fine. We didn’t include stabs this time as many complained about the price and wanted to source themselves.

Thanks Evangs, I understand...
So I'll go with Cherry clip in.
This will be my first build project so let's keep finger crossed. I'll cover you and the guys here with questions, mainly about config....So be comprehensive...

Offline DarKou

Hello,

Any chance to have better shipping fees to France?

Regards

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Hello,

Regards

What’s the rate you are getting?

Offline mike-y

Are you going to have more colors available for the MiniVan, other than white?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Are you going to have more colors available for the MiniVan, other than white?

Not for the preorder. Our standard colors are black silver and gold and those will be available again in the near future.

Offline DarKou

Hello,

Regards

What’s the rate you are getting?

The shipping fees is $20 for one minivan (~20% of the total amount  :eek: )
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 14:54:04 by DarKou »

Offline Corvec

Regarding the 8Bit keycap set - are there actually two of each 1.25u sword/shield/bow keycap in each color scheme, or is there one 1.25u keycap and another 1.5u keycap for each icon/color scheme?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
2 - 1.25

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Banana split looks great! Can’t wait!

:D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Sales are going strong for all four items. Here are some actual photos of the Aluminum Retro60

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
BananaSplit sizing chart for anyone interested

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Show Image

+100 points for helpfulness

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

+100 points for helpfulness

;)

Offline Corvec

2 - 1.25

Good to know. Why, though? I'm assuming it's so that more non-MiniVan keyboards can make use of them, but it seems weird to leave the MiniVan without the ability to fully replace the bottom row mod keys, given the intentional emphasis on the MiniVan and all.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
2 - 1.25

Good to know. Why, though? I'm assuming it's so that more non-MiniVan keyboards can make use of them, but it seems weird to leave the MiniVan without the ability to fully replace the bottom row mod keys, given the intentional emphasis on the MiniVan and all.

Can't you do that with the keys in the sprite pack?

Offline Corvec

fully replace the bottom row mod keys, given the intentional emphasis on the MiniVan and all.

Can't you do that with the keys in the sprite pack?

Sure, and since I want the A and B buttons I need to get the sprite pack anyway. But I can't get the sword, shield, and bow all on the same side - or even next to one another.

For example, in this mock-up, I'd like to swap the position of the B button and the shield.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
I see what you're saying.  Unfortunately you can't get it just the way you want it, but I think you can just look at it differently.  With your mockup, think of the left side as attack (bow and sword) and right side as defense (shield and lock)   :thumb:

Also, A is attack so put it on the left with the sword and bow  ;)

Seriously though, I think the mockup looks awesome.

Offline braidn

Absolutely loving the Retro60. Do you have any numbers on the actual weight of the aluminum version? Highly likely I pick it up for a retro linear green alps build that's been begging for a good case for years.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Absolutely loving the Retro60. Do you have any numbers on the actual weight of the aluminum version? Highly likely I pick it up for a retro linear green alps build that's been begging for a good case for years.

We can get you an exact weight later tonight but it's around 2 pounds.

Offline Corvec

Also, A is attack so put it on the left with the sword and bow  ;)

A is attack, but on a traditional NES controller, B is on the left... :-/

Seriously though, I think the mockup looks awesome.

Thanks!

Offline tristinDLC

Any chance of an Alps version at some point? I havent even built my R1 and looks like I have to buy an R2 AND 8Bit. You guys are killing me.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Any chance of an Alps version at some point? I havent even built my R1 and looks like I have to buy an R2 AND 8Bit. You guys are killing me.

I’d say highly unlikely that we will add Alps support

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan

Offline tristinDLC

I’d say highly unlikely that we will add Alps support

Was worth a shot to ask... it's literally the only thing missing for me to be 100% in love with it. I have R1 and will be getting R2 either way, but Alps support would be the icing for me.

Offline tristinDLC

Welp just traded away R1 of the BS. I'm sad I wasn't able to get it up and running sooner, but now it gives me the incentive to pick up R2. Is there a production limit or anything?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Welp just traded away R1 of the BS. I'm sad I wasn't able to get it up and running sooner, but now it gives me the incentive to pick up R2. Is there a production limit or anything?

No production limit, we will produce as many orders as we get and then some.  :thumb:

Offline tristinDLC

Perfect! Looks like you'll be taking all my play money for awhile with R2 and 8Bit. Can't wait!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Perfect! Looks like you'll be taking all my play money for awhile with R2 and 8Bit. Can't wait!

:)

Offline tristinDLC

:)

Now you just better watch yourself when you come into the SMK Slack... >:D