Author Topic: Novatouch Aluminum case!!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Novatouch Aluminum case!!
« on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 14:20:05 »
OK, the time has come to build my ultimate god keyboard. I have three requirements:

• Topre switches with 30g domes
  • Aluminum housing
  • Star Trek!

Now that I spent two years of my life making the Galaxy Class Cherry MX keyset a reality, I've got the Star Trek part covered. Now that Novatouch exists, I can fit those keys on Topre switches. And now that I've had the experience of hacking a Topre to swap out 45g for 30g domes, one thing remains

AN ALUMINUM HOUSING FOR THE NOVATOUCH

I know 3D CAD. I know how to machine things. I think we can make this happen.

Since I haven't been following the maker side of GeekHack as closely over the past few years, I seek experience from folks who know it better than I do. Can you point me to threads or group buy histories where people have made from scratch or comissioned machined aluminum housings before?

I'm looking for advice, examples, and experience on how best to a) design a housing and b) how to go about making it not cost a fortune. I am happy to organize a group buy and do an IC thread, but I want to get a feel for the scope of the project first. Any and all thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any interested/experience potential collaborators? :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: Novatouch Aluminum case!!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 14:37:27 »
Have you seen this? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/33hq1i/modification_novatouch_aluminum_case_mod/

Fascinating. It is inelegant, but it is a solution if we can't come up with something better. Also, it is complicated by the fact that those cases are perpetually out of stock.

I have a rudimentary design for a case mocked up in 3D CAD. I was hoping to see examples of designs that other people have made. I also did some quick estimates of pricing of a prototype, and it's looking like $600-800 to get even a single one made if I don't mill it myself (which, frankly, I'd rather not, because my CNC mill is somewhat limited in its abilities). I know these projects have happened before here on GeekHack. How do folks normally go about it?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Novatouch Aluminum case!!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:01:53 »
I don't know if you've seen this thread, but mistakemistake bought a CNC machine and is planning on making an HHKB case. There might be something there to collaborate with for a Novatouch? Just a thought?