Author Topic: Seeking specific keycaps - engraved/slate on black  (Read 3122 times)

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
Seeking specific keycaps - engraved/slate on black
« on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 10:00:16 »
Hello,

Very much a newbie here. I just mortgaged my pets to go in on the VE.A Massdrop, and am using the approximately nine year wait thinking about key caps. I think I want matte black Cherry keycaps with front-side engraving, or almost-black printing would be fine too. Something with almost-no distinction, but there. I think I want PBT, but thick and quality is more important to this newbie mind.

I've hit the sites on the stickied topic, but didn't see anything quite like what I'm looking for. Given that I've already taken leave of my senses in purchasing this keyboard, I'm not going to cheap-out on keys caps, but am also pretty particular.

Anyone know of someone making such things? Thanks in advance!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Seeking specific keycaps - engraved/slate on black
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 11:02:32 »
These MIGHT be laser engraved; the lighting in the pictures could be deceiving me AFAIK. Not really the 'black on black' color scheme that you're looking for. Definitely not dainty (1.5mm PBT). I've read that someone used the 'Hair Dryer' trick to straighten the spacebar, other than that they seem decent enough. http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-black-side-printed-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

Ducky and Leopold produced or offered engraved sets in the past. Maybe you can find some in the classifieds?

Chris Schammert

Offline jal

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 20:51:10 »
These MIGHT be laser engraved; the lighting in the pictures could be deceiving me AFAIK. Not really the 'black on black' color scheme that you're looking for.

Ducky and Leopold produced or offered engraved sets in the past. Maybe you can find some in the classifieds?

Thanks for the pointer. Those are close.

Tried digging around in the classifieds, but nothing that wasn't ancient came up. And I'm guessing there's a timer on new accounts posting to the classifieds section; won't let me. (Which i understand.)

Thanks again! Now I know to look for Ducky and Leopold.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 20:57:12 »
These MIGHT be laser engraved; the lighting in the pictures could be deceiving me AFAIK. Not really the 'black on black' color scheme that you're looking for.

Thanks for the pointer. Those are close.

Tried digging around in the classifieds, but nothing that wasn't ancient came up. And I'm guessing there's a timer on new accounts posting to the classifieds section; won't let me. (Which i understand.)

Thanks again! Now I know to look for Ducky and Leopold.

That's correct -- you must have been a member for 2 months, and have achieved a postcount of 25 before you can start new threads in the Classifieds section.

I don't know of anything more like what you ask for than the Leopold keys already mentioned. Good luck finding what you're looking for!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jal

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:26:30 »
Good luck finding what you're looking for!

Greatly appreciate the info and the welcome. See you around.