Author Topic: Finally buying a RF, need advice!  (Read 10495 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
Finally buying a RF, need advice!
« on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 00:55:24 »
My number one choice would be the silent white, and of course, that's the only one that's sold out on EK.  I'm picking silent since I'm probably going to bring this to work.  Does anyone have experience with normal vs silent RF's.  I considered HHKB but I absolutely need dedicated arrows. 

another note, what are your opinions on ergo weight, all 45, or all 55?  In comparison I like the weight of browns and blues, but not reds.  Yes, I know they're the same, but feels different on the switches to me.  Reds feel to light without the bump. 

last question:  Since they don't have my number one choice should I just wait?  Also, I feel like every time I buy something a new model comes out.  I swear the moment I buy one of these RF2 will come out.  Is there even a glimmer of hope that a new RF model will be emerging anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Finally buying a RF, need advice!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 00:59:28 »
I used a variable RF87U for work, its not too loud and never had any issues with it with respect to noise.

Great typing keyboard.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 01:22:01 »
55g Uniform. Quieter than quite a few low-end rubber dome boards (the kind you typically find in an office).

The HHKB is actually louder. If you prefer blues/browns to reds, then the 55g is definitely the way to go. Not too heavy, with a crisp and tactile feel.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 03:03:24 »
55g Uniform. Quieter than quite a few low-end rubber dome boards (the kind you typically find in an office).

The HHKB is actually louder. If you prefer blues/browns to reds, then the 55g is definitely the way to go. Not too heavy, with a crisp and tactile feel.
I have been using a HHKB for a couple of months, my first experience with Topre switches and I love it for typing. I also have a few Cherry MX boards but I wanted to get a 87u Realforce. I was torn between 45g vs. 55g. But taking the advise from others on the Topre Appreciation Thread I chose a 55g uniform, its fantastic, more tactile than a 45g real quiet and not fatiguing at all. For me I'm glad I took the expert GH members advice. I now wish HHKB made a 55g version. I would highly reccomend the 55g its the best feel I've experianced so far!!   

Offline noons

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 09:16:49 »
Well I guess I am the outcast as I love my 45g! I haven't tried a 55g myself, but coming from a cherry mx brown I feel the weight of the 45g is perfect and is slightly more tactical then my cherry brown. I honestly don't think I would want to go heavier either, but I am a light typer so that might be why I love the 45g.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 10:20:16 »
I now wish HHKB made a 55g version. I would highly reccomend the 55g its the best feel I've experianced so far!!   

I often find myself in the same boat, although I don't mind the lighter weight on the HHKB as much as I do on the RF.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:32:15 »
what is the weight of the silent?

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:37:04 »
45g uniform

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 12:07:48 »

The center keys are 45g, while the keys on the outside (the ones hit with the pinky and ring finger) are weighted 35g. The escape key is 55g.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 12:29:21 »

The center keys are 45g, while the keys on the outside (the ones hit with the pinky and ring finger) are weighted 35g. The escape key is 55g.
so the silent is ergo weighted?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 12:48:28 »
As I don't believe they make a silent uniform (yet), yes.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:09:19 »
55g is awesome.  You should look into the new hipro, too though.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:46:08 »
I like the hipro, however I won't buy a full size keyboard ever again.  If they make a TKL version I'm all over it.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:15:42 »
advice? rub some Vaseline on you'r wallet
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:16:08 »
55g

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:28:33 »
Try to source one of the new Leopold 60%. (660C?) Warning --- this is a uni 45g board.

If you don't like it I'm sure you can trade up to the 55g 87u here on GH.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:42:57 »
I recently switched from 45g to 55g and definitely like the 55g. But then the other day I went back to my 45g (for trysies)... and I found that using the 55g for a while had made me appreciate the light feel of the 45g keys. They're both nice, just different.

And you definitely don't NEED silent for an office environment. The standard RFs are no louder than the crap Dell keyboards that everyone else my office uses, except they make a pleasing "thock" instead of the creaking noise of cheap rubber domes.
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline geminimech

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:45:32 »

:rolleyes:

Not saying you particularly bazemk1979, but I've seen this before --> "OHEMGEE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SPENT THAT MUCH ON A TOPRE BRO" (same guy posts on a thread about how awesome a $7000000 Korean board is, or how he would do anything for a Filco with some dye-sub PBT's and a $150 keycap(!)).

Topre Realforce 87U Variable | Choc Mini MX Brown | Cherry G84-4100 ML

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 21:17:53 »

and a $150 keycap(!)).

Haha. I assume you mean CC? I don't understand the appeal of those either, probably because I'm a keyboard geek only by normal ppl standards.
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline noons

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 21:47:15 »

:rolleyes:

Not saying you particularly bazemk1979, but I've seen this before --> "OHEMGEE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SPENT THAT MUCH ON A TOPRE BRO" (same guy posts on a thread about how awesome a $7000000 Korean board is, or how he would do anything for a Filco with some dye-sub PBT's and a $150 keycap(!)).

LMAO I hear ya. In the past I actually told myself I would never spend that much on a keyboard, but realistically after I bought a filco then pbt keycaps (I hate when abs starts to shine) I had already spent around 200 at that point anyway what was another $50. The quality of a realforce and the fact that it already comes with pbt keys really makes it worth the money IMHO. Plus the feeling of the keys is just bar none.

Another way to look at it is I could easily blow $100 dollars going out to dinner and a few drinks, instead just eat in two nights :)
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 22:30:13 »
I love my 45g, i had a 55g one - was too heavy for my girly hands. thinking about it now, I should have gone with the 45g from the start as I prefer Reds and Browns over heavier cherry switches.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:47:50 »
I find the 45g just perfect for me. Although I've never used the 55g, I can't imagine wanting anything heavier than this.

Offline geminimech

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:27:43 »

LMAO I hear ya. In the past I actually told myself I would never spend that much on a keyboard, but realistically after I bought a filco then pbt keycaps (I hate when abs starts to shine) I had already spent around 200 at that point anyway what was another $50. The quality of a realforce and the fact that it already comes with pbt keys really makes it worth the money IMHO. Plus the feeling of the keys is just bar none.

Another way to look at it is I could easily blow $100 dollars going out to dinner and a few drinks, instead just eat in two nights :)

Yeah, once I got to pricing out a Filco and PBT's the difference was close to negligible.  I already had a Cherry board, was looking for something a bit different, took the leap and I have no complaints.  I'm not sure they're worth the price, but I feel the same way about a Filco and other expensive boards.  I could afford to make that decision and live with the 'consequences', so I did.

Quote from: noons
Haha. I assume you mean CC? I don't understand the appeal of those either, probably because I'm a keyboard geek only by normal ppl standards.

I can understand the appeal, and if you can afford to why not?  The whole 'smoke 'em if you got 'em' adage.  Would I pay that much for a keycap?  Probably not.  But never say never.   You just can't pick and choose to comment on, in my opinion, what's a smart buy for someone when the basis of the decision is completely based on personal preference/financial situation.  Again, not saying that member made that suggestion, but others have and continue to and say Realforce owners live in denial.

Offline geminimech

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:32:41 »
To the OP, my advice is this.  Don't expect the greatest keyboard ever created because of the cost.  You'll be disappointed.  It's a great board, and I'm fairly sure you'll enjoy one if you do make the leap, however if you spend your time trying to rationalize the feel of the keyboard based on the expense you may wind up disappointed.  If money isn't an issue, than this won't be a problem.

I have a variable weight board, and don't mind as much as other owners do.  The force feels fairly even to me on the 30g keys because I am striking them with my pinkies.  I don't game so I don't run into the accidental depression of a that others seem to, or think it feels 'mushy' because as I said I'm only ever striking the key with my pinky.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:41:45 by geminimech »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:45:45 »
Not the end of the world if you buy one.

Just keep the box and accessories wrapped up in their box, and make sure you keep your (expensive!) equipment clean and ready to sell.

At that rate, you are basically borrowing it with interest.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:25:46 »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I went with the 55g.  At $250 its the best price I've seen on the 55g 87U.  I remember when inventory was scarce the price on those shot up over $300.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:30:09 »
I bought my last 55g right when EK got them back in stock, before the price adjustment. I paid $362 for it (after shipping). :(

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:32:12 »
After tax and shipping it came out to $280.  Still not bad.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:34:00 »
I have a RF87U silent version and I always feel it is a little too light for me. I would go for 55g white version if I decide to grab another RF.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 13:54:18 »
Got my 55g 87U today. It's a lot more stiff than my variable S. But I'm thinking when it breaks in, it will just about right. I'll spend a few days on it before forming an opinion.

One thing I'm sure about. I definitely prefer plate mounted Topre switches.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 20:34:36 »
Just got my white RF 87U in the mail today.  First impressions are good, although, Immediately I'm thinking 45g may have been the way to go for me.  This is the typing feel I thought I was going to get when I initially read about MX switches and have been searching for ever since.  This may be an overreaction, but I may sell my MX boards and get another 45g board.  One for the office, and one for home. 

In comparison I've owned MX(red, brown, and blue) boards and tried blacks.  I never bought a board with blacks because I thought it was too stiff, and that is my one and only complaint about this board.  Although I've never tried one I think if you are in the market for one of these and have the same switch preference as me 45g is the way to to.  55g is still great too. 

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 20:41:51 »
Just got my white RF 87U in the mail today.  First impressions are good, although, Immediately I'm thinking 45g may have been the way to go for me.  This is the typing feel I thought I was going to get when I initially read about MX switches and have been searching for ever since.  This may be an overreaction, but I may sell my MX boards and get another 45g board.  One for the office, and one for home. 

In comparison I've owned MX(red, brown, and blue) boards and tried blacks.  I never bought a board with blacks because I thought it was too stiff, and that is my one and only complaint about this board.  Although I've never tried one I think if you are in the market for one of these and have the same switch preference as me 45g is the way to to.  55g is still great too.

Give it a few weeks. When it breaks in, it will be much lighter. I just got mu 55g yesterday and thought the same thing as you. But it's already lighter after one day of use.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 21:00:21 »
^Precisely,  the board will break in in a few days.  When I first got my 45g I loved the weighting, but after a week of use it became too light for me.  55g is the sweet spot once the board breaks in imo.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 21:22:43 »
There was one last complaint.  The board feels slow, if that makes sense.  I feel at times like I'm outpacing the return of the keys, which in turn produces an error.  With that said, I can confirm, this is the best keyboard I've ever typed on.  I watched a couple reviews where a guy complained about buyers remorse after typing on it because he didn't what all the fuss was about.  I've typed on enough boards I guess to know quality, and this is it my friend.  I'm kicking myself for not getting this sooner. 

I'm not going to be able to customize this the way you can with MX siwtches, but I don't care.  In the end I'm not looking at my board when I'm typing on it anyway. 

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 21:31:15 »
I know exactly what you mean when you say "slow".  I get the same feeling/impression when switching from cherry to topre. You have to relearn typing a little bit...once you get over the tactile bump with topre you can immediately release the switch...you might just be bottoming the topre switch out a little too hard.  In time you will become one with cupped rubber.

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 23:18:46 »
I know exactly what you mean when you say "slow".  I get the same feeling/impression when switching from cherry to topre. You have to relearn typing a little bit...once you get over the tactile bump with topre you can immediately release the switch...you might just be bottoming the topre switch out a little too hard.  In time you will become one with cupped rubber.

I had heard "oneness with cup rubber" tossed around on here a few times and figured it was an in-joke. It wasn't until I opened the box of my latest Realforce that I realized IT'S ACTUALLY ON THE BOX.

Anyway, I'm a believer now.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 02:19:38 »
Yes. People make waaaaay too much of a big deal of the fact that it has rubber, and say "oh no! It's JUST like a regular rubber dome!" Oh please. Just because it has rubber doesn't mean it's automatically crappy. Yes, most rubber dome keyboards are crap, but just because most are, doesn't mean all keyboards with rubber domes are. People are just making that association because, well... I don't know why. It just doesn't make sense.

Topre Realforce boards (can't speak for HHKB 2 Pros) have build quality far superior to any Cherry Board, including Filcos. The keys, the switches themselves, and the keyboard chassis/body. I don't give a **** what anybody says.

That said, yes, I do agree that Realforce boards will feel a bit "slow" at first. The way to type on a Realforce board is a completely different paradigm vs. Cherry MX switch based boards. It's more like hitting piano keys, rather than typing on type writers. So instead of actually sliding down a key, you're actually hitting it. Like a piano.

But, once I've gotten used to that paradigm, I'm achieving faster typing speeds on Typeracer. It could be more to do with the less-wobbly keys on the Topre, though, which gives me more accuracy. I'm not sure. La-la, I don't give a ****. I just ****ing love my Topre.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 02:54:14 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:15:19 »
The only thing I don't like about Topre is the crappy metal keypullers that come with the Realforce boards you buy at EK.

Switching the keys between my 55g black and 45g white, I scratched two of them because the damn things are so sharp, plus it's hard to get good leverage/torque on some keys.

I have a plastic ring keypuller, but I had loaned it to a friend and was too impatient to wait and get it back. Now I have to live with these terrible (tiny) imperfections on my keys (which are of course impossible to buy replacements for).

TLDR: Avoid the Realforce keypullers!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:31:59 »

I had heard "oneness with cup rubber" tossed around on here a few times and figured it was an in-joke. It wasn't until I opened the box of my latest Realforce that I realized IT'S ACTUALLY ON THE BOX.

Anyway, I'm a believer now.
The only thing better than "oneness with cup rubber" IS "twoness with cup rubber" (like 2 Topre switch keyboards). The supplied key puller with Realforce & HHKB keysets should be immediately discarded they are garbage, that way you won't be tempted to use them.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:02:06 »
Loving my RF.  I woke up and played around with it more today and I think I'm experiencing the "break in" that people are talking about.  Or, maybe my fingers just got buff in a day?  who knows? 

If RF ever came out with a new TKL model I would definatly buy one.  Must have function and arrow keys.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:10:37 »
The only thing I don't like about Topre is the crappy metal keypullers that come with the Realforce boards you buy at EK.

Switching the keys between my 55g black and 45g white, I scratched two of them because the damn things are so sharp, plus it's hard to get good leverage/torque on some keys.

I have a plastic ring keypuller, but I had loaned it to a friend and was too impatient to wait and get it back. Now I have to live with these terrible (tiny) imperfections on my keys (which are of course impossible to buy replacements for).

TLDR: Avoid the Realforce keypullers!

^ Same here. I scratched the crap out of the spacebar on my variable right after I got it. I ordered the Leo key puller from EK. Only $5 + shipping. Cheaper than Amazon.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:27:36 »
Last update for me, I promise. 

The only thing I can say is "Why didn't I buy a RF sooner"?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 19:58:15 »
As most do :)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 05:03:26 »
As most do :)

Your opinion doesn't count because you have way too many keyboards.

Offline noons

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:50:28 »
Last update for me, I promise. 

The only thing I can say is "Why didn't I buy a RF sooner"?

Hahah I hear ya! You still liking the 55g?

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:07:40 »
Yeah, the break in that people were mentioning is real.  Well, maybe.  I don't know if the keys get looser or your fingers adjust to the strength of the keys.  In any case, its only been a couple of days, but I love it.  I am still curious to try the 45g, but that won't be for a while. 

Offline jalaj

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 01:30:31 »
Yeah it is a definite break-in period for your fingers, not the keyboard. Perhaps a brief episode of timid fingers complex. Since you're probably used to MX switches, the typing experience is different yet vaguely familiar.  You overcome it by using the keyboard frequently until it becomes a dirty habit.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:19:33 »
I decided to sell all my MX stuff so that I can bring a RF to work with me too.  This poses a new question. 

I know I like the 55g.  But should I be bold and get a 45g or a silent?  It's the spice of life right?  I realize I may be turning a blind eye to all the searching I just did, concidering how much I love the 55g switch, but I have to admit curiosity often gets the better of me.  I've never tried a 45g or a silent model, very curious.

Someone talk me into a decision.

Thanks

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:36:45 »
The curiosity will eventually get the better of you

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 17:27:58 »
I decided to sell all my MX stuff so that I can bring a RF to work with me too.  This poses a new question. 

I know I like the 55g.  But should I be bold and get a 45g or a silent?  It's the spice of life right?  I realize I may be turning a blind eye to all the searching I just did, concidering how much I love the 55g switch, but I have to admit curiosity often gets the better of me.  I've never tried a 45g or a silent model, very curious.

Someone talk me into a decision.

Thanks

Ah yes, it's a quandary. I have my new 55g 87U that I've been using for the last four days. Just today, I switched back to my 87U variable silent that I've had for five months. I must say, I like it as much, maybe even better.

The variable it obviously lighter, but still has tactility. It's buttery smooth to type on. You have to adjust your typing style on the variable. Hard to explain, but less deliberate. With the variable, you can relax and tickle the keys.

As for speed, I'm the same on both, which isn't fast. I switched to Colemak three months ago and am currently about 60 - 65 wpm. Maybe if I were a faster typist, I would appreciate the 55g more.

I like both boards for different reasons. The variable is effortless to type on, and I don't have any problem with accidentally actuating keys. You can relax your fingers and let them barely touch the keys and the words pop out. I hate the gritty feel of Cherry MX switches, and the buttery smooth Topre switch is more apparent on the variable.

The 55g is crisp and snappy. It's also more stressful on the fingers. I don't have any RSI issues, so that's not an issue for me. I'm just still on the fence as to which typing style I prefer. Typing on the silent variable is almost a Zen thing. I can understand why a lot of guys don't like it, as it requires a much lighter touch. It took me a good week to adjust my typing style on the variable so that I wasn't pounding the keys. I took an hour or so each day and worked on technique with the 10fastfingers basic typing test. No punctuation or caps. Just simple words, allowing me to concentrate just on technique. Only after the adjustment did I really come to appreciate the variable. I'm also 56, so maybe age has something to do with my preference for the lighter, less deliberate typing style.

Hopefully, the 55g will continue to lighten up. Currently, it's too stiff for me. I'll give it a two or three weeks. If it doesn't loosen up to my liking by then, you may find it in the GH classifieds.

Many here say the 55g plate mounted Topre switches are pretty much the same as the 45g PCB mounted HHKB Pro 2. I would respectfully disagree. My HHKB is about a month old, and the 55g 87U is noticeably stiffer. The key resistance on the HHKB is perfect. In fact, at this point, I'd say it's closer to my variable than the new 55g.

But like I said, I'll use the 55g as my daily driver for a couple weeks and see how it is when it fully breaks in.

On a side note, my 27 year old son is in school on a CS major. He sat down at my computer a few days ago and effortlessly popped out a 106 wpm on typeracer first attempt, no practice, no warm-up. He never uses any typing sites. If he did, he'd be 130 - 150. He much prefers the variable over the 55g. His favorite Cherry switch is brown.