Author Topic: Keyboard Storage  (Read 6231 times)

Offline unicomp

Keyboard Storage
« on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 09:48:02 »
How do other people store their boards? I only have the original boxes for a few of my boards and I want to make sure that boards are not in positions that could damage them. I was thinking of making a picture thread but I have no image to start it off with.

Offline aegrotatio

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 09:50:06 »
I store them vertically like oven trays. to keep the keys from being depressed for a long time.  One of my Minitouch Monterey switches suffers from being held down in storage for too long because the cable was wrapped around it.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 10:31:59 »
Does someone have a pic of webwit's storage system?  His was boss.

Offline spolia optima

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:11:53 »
I use a bookcase
keyboards!

Offline didjamatic

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 12:34:39 »
For the best boards, I use 19x9x3 or 22x10x4 top loading boxes from shippersupply on ebay, which are actually from Uline.   They arrive boxed within another box and are very high quality.  I just use a sharpie to write on the end of the box.

For the rest, I store them sorted by switch or intended use (keep/sell/harvest switches) on their edges inside large boxes.  Like file folders in a filing cabinet.  That way there is minimal pressure on the keys and the cords aren't getting smashed and tangled up.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline spolia optima

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 16:52:18 »
Quote from: didjamatic;196317
For the best boards, I use 19x9x3 or 22x10x4 top loading boxes from shippersupply on ebay, which are actually from Uline.   They arrive boxed within another box and are very high quality.  I just use a sharpie to write on the end of the box.

For the rest, I store them sorted by switch or intended use (keep/sell/harvest switches) on their edges inside large boxes.  Like file folders in a filing cabinet.  That way there is minimal pressure on the keys and the cords aren't getting smashed and tangled up.

haha i have the exact same method for sorting/storage, guess it's just common sense.

The bookcase noted in my previous post is basically my "trophy case", for long-term storage. Most of those keyboards are boxed and then sealed with cellophane (to minimize oxygen exposure).

Then there's my daily drivers, which i need easy access to. They're neatly boxed and labeled in my office closet.

For shipping, Uline is pretty cheap (something like 1.50 per) when you order 200+ boxes. I will eventually go that route, but my collection isn't that big yet. Thing is, there are so many people trying to get rid of cardboard boxes that I can't justify the price. Tape and packing material are cheap, and years of working shipping/receiving for small businesses has turned me into sort of a box wizard. It's hell on the hands, but that's why i keep one glove filled with vaseline.
keyboards!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Keyboard Storage
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 18:26:04 »
I just throw all my keyboards in a box with other junk.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline trievalot

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 18:38:31 »
ive got a really big blendtec - heaps of room
http://www.willitblend.com/
[SIGPIC]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Keyboard Storage
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 19:05:12 »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 20:28:01 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;196467
I love this one for multiple reasons.
http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=golfballs

Ewwww, he said "balls".
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline audioave10

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:49:21 »
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline didjamatic

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 22:53:02 »
I have a blendtec as well, great machines for smoothies, juice, salsa, soup, whatever.  Worth every dime.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline trievalot

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 23:01:01 »
Quote from: didjamatic;196555
I have a blendtec as well, great machines for smoothies, juice, salsa, soup, whatever.  Worth every dime.

you found me out. i dont have a blendtec, i was trying to impress you.
Im ashamed now. (i do want one though)
[SIGPIC]

Offline trievalot

Keyboard Storage
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 05:27:00 »
since this post, i bought a blendtec....amazing IT MAKES HOT CHOCOLATE!!!
[SIGPIC]

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
Keyboard Storage
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 07:52:55 »
Be sure to pack your keyboards in cosmoline for long term storage.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali