Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 530335 times)

Offline harlw

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #1000 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:47:01 »

Which board is that?  That might be my favorite layout.

It's an LZ-SQ!

This is glorious!

<is it just me, or does the stepped "SHIFT LOCK" key have the wrong line thickness on the font?>

So this is actually using smaller legends than most SA sets? Looks like a similar size to the standard DSA legends. It does seem to exaggerate the vertical displacement of the G a little / make it more obvious, which makes sense. I wouldn't have noticed it (and in fact didn't) on the usual sized font.

That angled shot looks awesome! It does, however, highlight the Row 3 Shifts, but fear not... "steps are being taken".

The angle makes it look a bit more extreme than it actually is, but the SHIFT LOCK text is slightly larger and more bold than the other modifiers. The kerning on LOCK isn't the same as the SHIFT either, so I guess it could bother someone who is looking really hard...but probably no more annoying than the main "SHIF T" keys we currently have on SA sets.

As for smaller legends, I compared my Round 5 caps to SA Retro. It looks like all of the text on Retro's alpha keys are slightly smaller than Round 5's. The modifier text (including the num row and character mods) are the same size between the two, though Retro's num row text looks slightly more bold than Round 5's.

And well, the Row 3 shifts...I guess I'll stick with head-on frontal photos of the board for now.  :p

Show Image

So I thought that the burgundy mods would totally trump true retro - boy was I wrong!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1001 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:56:53 »
There's only one way to Retro and that is all brown (with green or yellow or gray accent)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1002 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:57:07 »
So I thought that the burgundy mods would totally trump true retro - boy was I wrong!

I like them...but I understand what you mean.

I have no regrets
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1003 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:57:45 »
There's only one way to Retro and that is all brown (with green or yellow or gray accent)

Then I say thank you very much for offering Burgundy mods.  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1004 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:02:51 »

Then I say thank you very much for offering Burgundy mods.  :thumb:

you are most welcome!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1005 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:09:34 »
The burgundy mods are what make this set interesting. The all-brown look works great for 60% boards but is too much brown for anything larger IMO.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1006 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:15:06 »
The burgundy mods are what make this set interesting. The all-brown look works great for 60% boards but is too much brown for anything larger IMO.

Unless you have a tan case... :cool:

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1007 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:18:10 »
Not a good picture, but it's late and I'm tired. I love the set! Thank you Matt3o, BunnyLake,  and codyeatworld!

(My ergodox kit didn't make it, and I'll like the space row better once I make some swaps.)

Show Image

That is one sexy board, sir. Good job. Already finished wiring and programming? Let's see the guts of that baby.

Thank you for the compliment! I've completely wired the matrix (I'll post some pictures tonight), but I want to do some experiments with the controller, so I am going to wire the matrix to headers so I can try a bunch of different stuff. In the interests of not hijacking this thread, I'll split this off later, but in short, I am testing this so I can build a Bluetooth PCB.

BTW, did your standoffs work well? The holes in my old Ortho board are nearly the same diameter of the standoffs, so they want to sink in/tilt.
My standoffs worked perfectly, because the holes were perfectly M2-sized (thanks to jackhumbert!)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #1008 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:41:05 »
It's here! Thank you so much Cody, Bunny, Matt3o, and everyone else involved!

I'm surprised that Signature Plastics SA is not identical to the many vintage spherical key caps I have in the house. I will need to do a comparison at some point.

I got the Retro Burgundy set and am typing on it now. Quite a change from OEM profile or DSA. It will take some getting used to. I kind of wish I had gone for the True Retro set instead but I'm not complaining.

I've got my Retro Burgundy on a CM Novatouch, dampened with Hypersphere's silencing rings. I rather prefer it to a real Topre Realforce HiPro keyboard so far. I'll work on nice photos and videos at a later date.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1009 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:45:28 »
Have all these shipped out? I haven't received an email and my order on CtrlAlt still just says "paid" :( :( :(

*EDIT* that might be a good thing actually, considering I'm moving on Sunday. Shipping address updated.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:48:24 by daerid »

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #1010 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:10:41 »

Unless you have a tan case... 8)

I think the set is beautiful, but even in burgundy, these (unsurprisingly) look bad with a black case. I'm looking for an upswell in Plasti-dip/vinyl wrap...
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:03:40 by shrubkeys »

Offline neverused

« Reply #1011 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:05:04 »
Not a good picture, but it's late and I'm tired. I love the set! Thank you Matt3o, BunnyLake,  and codyeatworld!

(My ergodox kit didn't make it, and I'll like the space row better once I make some swaps.)

Show Image

That is one sexy board, sir. Good job. Already finished wiring and programming? Let's see the guts of that baby.

Thank you for the compliment! I've completely wired the matrix (I'll post some pictures tonight), but I want to do some experiments with the controller, so I am going to wire the matrix to headers so I can try a bunch of different stuff. In the interests of not hijacking this thread, I'll split this off later, but in short, I am testing this so I can build a Bluetooth PCB.

BTW, did your standoffs work well? The holes in my old Ortho board are nearly the same diameter of the standoffs, so they want to sink in/tilt.
My standoffs worked perfectly, because the holes were perfectly M2-sized (thanks to jackhumbert!)
Awesome, please report back on the bluetooth efforts, been thinking about something similar. Is there a build log for this board?

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1012 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:26:29 »

Show Image

Awesome, please report back on the bluetooth efforts, been thinking about something similar. Is there a build log for this board?
Not yet, but I'll post one when it's done. I may ditch the bonus keys on the left side for version 2 (even though I like them), so it fits in a standard Poker case. I'd like a more finished look.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1013 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:29:40 »
Woot! Got mine today, and that was incredibly fast shipping both on CtrlAlt and USPS!

Haven't had a chance to open the caps and can't until tonight, but one question:

I took over someone's order of the Burgundy and Burgundy Numpad, and wondered if anyone who ordered the numpad too got their sets placed in one bag. I got just one bag and, after about ten seconds of turning it over, didn't spot any numpad keys. Is everything supposed to come in only one bag?
Again, I'm going to take a better look tonight, but wanted to know before I started getting worried.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1014 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:37:07 »
Woot! Got mine today, and that was incredibly fast shipping both on CtrlAlt and USPS!

Haven't had a chance to open the caps and can't until tonight, but one question:

I took over someone's order of the Burgundy and Burgundy Numpad, and wondered if anyone who ordered the numpad too got their sets placed in one bag. I got just one bag and, after about ten seconds of turning it over, didn't spot any numpad keys. Is everything supposed to come in only one bag?
Again, I'm going to take a better look tonight, but wanted to know before I started getting worried.

if you took over someones order, that isnt attached to your account, so we would have no way to know to combine orders

instead, the person who made the original order, will get a shipping notice when it is sent
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1015 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:39:16 »

if you took over someones order, that isnt attached to your account, so we would have no way to know to combine orders

instead, the person who made the original order, will get a shipping notice when it is sent

Sorry, that was confusing. I took over someone's entire order, which was the Burgundy Set and Burgundy Numpad, but unfortunately it seems I received only the Burgundy set, no numpad. I'm going to check again tonight to confirm, as well as contact the person from whom I took over.

Edit:
Sneaked away for a few minutes. Spilled out the bag, and there's definitely no numpad. Contacted the person who made the original order just to make sure both were ordered.
In the mean time, this is my first full SA set and it's absolutely gorgeous. The colors are far more pleasing to the eye in person.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:48:09 by romevi »

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #1016 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:47:03 »
Got mine the day before, but only had the chance to take a pic now. The tall profile is pretty great with the full hand case.

Oh and the caps themselves are gorgeous.  :cool:

111351-0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1017 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:48:34 »
Got mine the day before, but only had the chance to take a pic now. The tall profile is pretty great with the full hand case.

(Attachment Link)

Is "S" upside down?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #1018 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:49:29 »

(Attachment Link)

Is "S" upside down?

Oops, yes it is. Time to flip a cap.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1019 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 16:26:51 »

Sorry, that was confusing. I took over someone's entire order, which was the Burgundy Set and Burgundy Numpad, but unfortunately it seems I received only the Burgundy set, no numpad. I'm going to check again tonight to confirm, as well as contact the person from whom I took over.

Edit:
Sneaked away for a few minutes. Spilled out the bag, and there's definitely no numpad. Contacted the person who made the original order just to make sure both were ordered.
In the mean time, this is my first full SA set and it's absolutely gorgeous. The colors are far more pleasing to the eye in person.

shoot me their order number via pm, and ill look in to it

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #1020 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:05:58 »

My standoffs and plates came from Jack too, but I was an early adopter. He must have sorted that out.

I'm hoping to make a smart board as well, I'll be eager to check out your thread. Bluetooth would be nice, since I have the parts for a split board, & no wires would be legit.

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #1021 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:10:38 »

Unless you have a tan case... :cool:

I really want to start using this set, but I'd rather not put these keys on a black board which is all I currently have available. The 1976 doesn't look very charming on a black board. It sorta ruins the effect.

I'm seriously considering giving my CODE a spray-tan.

It's really too bad they are so hard to open. A big minus in my opinion, especially for a keyboard with a daughterboard PCB that is just begging to be swapped.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:13:57 by FingerPunch »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1022 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:45:50 »
I really want to start using this set, but I'd rather not put these keys on a black board which is all I currently have available. The 1976 doesn't look very charming on a black board. It sorta ruins the effect.

Did you know during that time period many (me included) wished for all Black Keyboards instead of the pedestrian beige/cream garbage that was readily available?

Time to grow up sunshine, all black keyboards are here to stay and would rather stay with that standard colour than the glaucoma creams and other nauseous colours of the late 70's and early 80's.

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #1023 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:14:10 »
If you aren't interested in a retro scheme, perhaps you're in the wrong thread ;)

Different colors match different colors. Black has its place.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #1024 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:35:45 »
Do some of the orders have yet to ship, or should I be freaking out?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1025 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:44:23 »
If you aren't interested in a retro scheme, perhaps you're in the wrong thread ;)

Different colors match different colors. Black has its place.

What's the colour of the keyboard got to do with the colours of this KEY-SET?

Either you've got something wrong with your own colour perception or you hate the darker shade in some way.  Retro looks great in any Black coloured keyboard and in fact looks great, with any other colour as well.

Maybe your hatred towards anything "BLACK" has to do with your own discrimination towards anything being in that colour and we all have to ask why would that be?

Offline snapdarty

« Reply #1026 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 23:18:17 »
Maybe your hatred towards anything "BLACK" has to do with your own discrimination towards anything being in that colour and we all have to ask why would that be?

Reaching.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1027 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 23:19:40 »

Reaching.

It's Elrick.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #1028 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 02:03:33 »

Did you know during that time period many (me included) wished for all Black Keyboards instead of the pedestrian beige/cream garbage that was readily available?

Time to grow up sunshine, all black keyboards are here to stay and would rather stay with that standard colour than the glaucoma creams and other nauseous colours of the late 70's and early 80's.
I remember being excited when my family got a black keyboard it meant we had finally updated to something with an rgb screen.

Offline TheSoundofTyping

« Reply #1029 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 04:19:44 »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole group-buy thing as a whole, so I'm sorry if this is a very annoying question - will this ever be on sale again?
"To my loyal butler, You There, for his decades of service, I leave a pittance, to be paid in twenty equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each."

Offline pkircher

« Reply #1030 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 04:35:52 »
nope this set was a single run only .. - you can still get it IF you are lucky and somebody actualy sells it .. but i fear it will have a higher price point due to the rarity and the amazing look !

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1031 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 04:39:49 »
there might be some spares, hold tight and keep an eye to this thread.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1032 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 06:26:10 »
In that case spares should be priced 10-20% higher as a courtesy to those who had to pay early and wait to get it. And no, I did not pay early and wait to get it, I'm gagging for an extra set, but I should have to pay extra.

Offline TheSoundofTyping

« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 06:28:40 »
Thanks, I definitely will.  It seems like I just missed out on a whole load of retro/SA keys lately!
"To my loyal butler, You There, for his decades of service, I leave a pittance, to be paid in twenty equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1034 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 06:57:17 »
i do have some limited extras, but im going to wait until all the orders are sent otu to list them

they will be gb price, no extra percentage will be added on

Offline SL89

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 07:11:04 »
I have been kicking myself since this went down. But I'd rather someone new get into the SA game. Good on Matt3o and Bunny for floating some extras. These sets look amazing.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #1036 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 09:21:18 »
Thanks everyone, Matt3o, Bunny, Cody, and all who helped. Here's a picture in standard QFR Dvorak.  (with F11 not pushed down enough :D) Not to everyones taste apparently but I like how the retro is with a basic black case.

111446-0

And one minor problem, I have two 'comma, less than' keys on the standard True Retro set, and no 'dot, more than' key. Not major as it isn't currently in use, but would be an annoyance if I ever decide to use it on a heathen's board.

111448-1

Thanks again all, very pleased.

(edited because I referred to the missing/duplicate keys as left and right commas, I can only blame insomnia :))
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 11:55:19 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #1037 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:32:16 »
i do have some limited extras, but im going to wait until all the orders are sent otu to list them

they will be gb price, no extra percentage will be added on

That's good to hear. I participated in the GB (got my set yesterday and I love it!) but I'm regretting not going for PETSCII. If there end up being extra PETSCII sets for sale, I will probably pick one up.

Dan

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #1038 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:35:56 »
Oh, and here's mine on a KUL with the white case. I think the black KBs look fine, but I do prefer the contrasting look of this set with a lighter-colored case :)

111462-0

Oh god messy desk so embarrassing. Too busy at work to take better photos :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:39:42 by TheCowGod »

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #1039 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 15:33:02 »
Well I guess add me to the boat of people that are having/had trouble with the post office. Checked tracking and my package was scanned out of Oakland at 9pm on the 17th with item is currently in transit to destination, mind you I live 6 hours south. So I went to the post office in long beach today to inquire since it still doesn't show an eta for my package just that it left the facility two days ago. The postal clerk looked it up and said that it was odd that it hadn't hit LA or LB yet but that they couldn't do anything about it. I was instructed to call Oakland to try and figure out what is going on with the package.Not a very happy camper at this point.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1040 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 15:34:33 »
Oh, and here's mine on a KUL with the white case. I think the black KBs look fine, but I do prefer the contrasting look of this set with a lighter-colored case :)

(Attachment Link)

Oh god messy desk so embarrassing. Too busy at work to take better photos :)

The keyboard looks very nice thank you for sharing, and your mess desk as well.

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #1041 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:34:32 »
Wasn't trying to contribute to the keyboard race war. :p (I, too, remember when beige was boring.) Darker browns just tend to better complement warm or muted tones. Keyset looks great, regardless.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed that my charge looks like this:

$290.16

Subtotal $264.00
Shipping $13.00
Donation $2.00

Probably should have noticed that a few months ago. Anyone else have problems with their total?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1042 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:40:09 »
Wasn't trying to contribute to the keyboard race war. :p (I, too, remember when beige was boring.) Darker browns just tend to better complement warm or muted tones. Keyset looks great, regardless.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed that my charge looks like this:

$290.16

Subtotal $264.00
Shipping $13.00
Donation $2.00

Probably should have noticed that a few months ago. Anyone else have problems with their total?

everyone will right now, the total will be higher than you paid

basically we were playing with some code to add on payment fees to orders

so that is showing on every order right now, however, you were only charged the correct amount

but right now on the site itll show the total as being 4% more i think

just ignore that

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #1043 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:39:34 »

so that is showing on every order right now, however, you were only charged the correct amount

just ignore that

I'm no web dev, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to just throw test code into your site
Zealio Master Race

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1044 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:19:14 »

just ignore that

I'm no web dev, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to just throw test code into your site

I guessing they yolo'd it as there is currently nothing you can buy on the sight  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #1045 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 00:21:38 »

just ignore that

I guessing they yolo'd it as there is currently nothing you can buy on the sight  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still not a web dev, but I'm pretty certain there's a thing you can set up called a "testing environment" or a "test site"
Zealio Master Race

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1046 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 00:27:37 »

just ignore that

Still not a web dev, but I'm pretty certain there's a thing you can set up called a "testing environment" or a "test site"

I'm sure they'll thank you for your "constructive criticism" and "knowledge" on the topic.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #1047 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 00:36:12 »

just ignore that

I'm sure they'll thank you for your "constructive criticism" and "knowledge" on the topic.

I do program things, and I know that you're not supposed to push test things to the consumers.
Zealio Master Race

Offline pkircher

« Reply #1048 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 02:39:42 »
correct not supposed .. but i guess they dont have a dev stage and go with what they have .. no harm done ..

regardless its not best practice i agree .. yet .. nobody is realy "affected" due to no current sales ..

happens all the time + cut them some slack .. its not a company which can afford a dev team to take care about infra / deployments

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1049 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 03:12:45 »
you guys are talking like we are making money out of this...