Author Topic: [GB] Campine mk. III milled aluminum case kit Group Buy  (Read 20358 times)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
[GB] Campine mk. III milled aluminum case kit Group Buy
« on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 21:22:20 »
Well. It's really been something. Except for a couple custom orders, all products have been shipped, and from what I've been told, have gotten into and changed hands a few times. I honestly hope that everyone is enjoying their purchases.

One sale listing of one Campine described the GB process as “laughably long”. I cannot disagree. It was fraught with issues from beginning to end. One of the most annoying details I contended with was the finish on the aluminum frames. You'll remember, the first ones were absolutely atrocious. Inconsistent, poorly qc’ed and actually chipped in the exact same spot. Then I had them refinish the parts, but the interior of 60% of the frames showed machining marks, which weren’t noticed until the partial order was done being powdercoated. This meant that a second refinishing process was needed, after doing some serious hand-filing on each piece as they were processed, after being media blasted.

No excuses, just reasons here. I’m pretty upset about how long this GB took, and trying to deliver a “low-cost” custom 60% case/kit meant trying to squeeze as much value from more simple production processes (like finishing, blasting, powdercoating) as humanly possible. Fate conspired to throw wrenches into every single part of the GB process, and for that, I apologize. Very little went my way on this GB including the chicanery at the end.

I’ve been getting pics of the boards and it seems people are enjoying them, when they got to their owners. If you’re reading this and are not happy or have a question, please let me know and I’ll do my best to rectify the situation.

I’m working on finalizing manufacturers for the angled bottom, if there are those of you still interested in that. I’ve narrowed it down to two vendors and will be posting a new IC shortly. I realized that emailing the original Campine order list is mostly a bad idea, since a fair portion of the original purchasers don’t have their boards any longer.

For those of you looking for information on programming the ORG60: QMK has a directory for this PCB, so it’s relatively straightforward, assuming you use the supplied keymap. JTMchorse has graciously supplied his keymaps for HHKB and HHKB ISO. It’s pretty simple to change these to your preferred layout, if neither of them suit your configuration.

https://github.com/pancinteractive/qmk_firmware

Thanks to all for sticking this out. It was seriously a grueling slog to the finish line, but the end of it is essentially here. I’ll be updating here with additional information.

Here are some stats, in case anyone cares about that kind of thing.

Direct email updates sent: 24
Apologies offered: 12
Times new shipping date was offered: 8
Trips to manu brick-and-mortar location: 6
Colors offered: 9
Colors added since GB conclusion: 3
Packages shipped: 67
Secondary packages shipped because I forgot parts in the original package: 6

And here's an album of finished Campines.

If anyone is interesting in picking up a new Campine of their very own, my store is open for business.
Thanks to everyone for their patience, and I hope everyone is enjoying their purchases!!!

October update
More
Folks, we are going to be delayed.

TL;DR - Prod. samples are not valid, lost our spot in line, we are looking at pushing the ship date from Nov. 3 to Nov. 22-24. I’m very sorry and am crushed to have to send this announcement.

I’m not really one to beat around the bush on bad news. Today I went in to take pictures of the first production samples of the cases. After handling them and checking dimensions, I found that the drillpoints of the case and the drillpoints on the acrylic diffusers and steel floorplates are not aligned and countersunk incorrectly. The domino effect of this means that I need to push the shipping date out by ~20 days.

I took quite a bit of time to inspect the few pieces that were produced, and I am not satisfied that the current design can pass muster. I have my CAD program open right this moment modifying the design, and I am scheduling a call with the manufacturers CAD director to evaluate and ratify the new design files. We need to jump back into the production queue as well, which is why the ship date needs to be pushed out.

I know this is easy for me to say via email, but I’m pretty upset by this development. I was counting on having these in folks hands for the Northern California and the Houston meetups, and I was going to time shipping to line up with the opening of my new storefront, which will stock anything and everything DIY-keyboard related.

Needless to say, I’m quite deflated, which again I realize is easy for me to say. I am going to do my level best to make it up to everyone in this Group Buy, and as a thank you for being part of it. I know that the case will be worth the wait.

I’ll be updating everyone as soon as I have more information. I’m posting this info to Reddit and GH to ensure everyone is aware of the modified timeline, and to own my malefaction.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know. Again, I am incredibly sorry for the inconveneince.

Original GB info
More
Hello all,

This is the start of the Group Buy for the Campine Mk.III high profile 60% case for both standard and HHKB layout options.

TL;DR:

60% case kit at the lowest settings for $142 shipped, most expensive option with all included extras (all you need are switches and a soldering iron) is $252 shipped.

ENTRIES CLOSED

Pictures:

More

The assembled case should clock in approximately 4 pounds, minus keyboard internals. The case can be assembled with both the acrylic diffuser and the steel bottom, or one or the other. As the options below indicate, there will be the option to add our favorite feet to add an incline.

I am planning having the parts powder coated, to maintain a consistent finish between the aluminum and the steel. Powder-coating is a viable aesthetic option for both aluminum and steel parts. The Form has pictures of real world examples.

MOQ is 25 on each layout. The parts will be manufactured, receive coloring post-treatment, be packed and dropped off for shipping within a 70 mile radius. I will evaluating the parts during each leg of production. There will not be a cap on the order amount.

The GB entry period will run from today, until 8/11. At that point, I will send invoices and will provide 72 hours for payment. Orders will be placed on 8/15, with production completion expected on 11/3.

Prices:

• Standard layout - milled aluminum frame,  assembly hardware included: $118
  • HHKB layout - milled aluminum frame,  assembly hardware included:  $138
  • Acrylic diffuser: +$12, compatible with both frame options
  • Steel floor plate: +$12, compatible with both frame options
  • Add a stainless steel universal switchplate: +$26 (add $5 for custom colored plate)
  • Add a ORG60 PCB: +$27
  • Add cone fee): +$4
  • Add stabs (1x 7u / 4x 2u): +$9
  • Add an additional frame: $10 off price above (Standard = $108, HHKB = $128)
  • Shipping is $12 CONUS, $18 CAN, $25 everywhere else. 
Colors available: black, white, gunmetal, bronze, silver, cyan, crimson, plum, forest green. Samples available on Forms page.

FAQ documentation

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 22:07:31 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Campine mk. III milled aluminum case kit Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 21:22:32 »
Reserved.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 21:52:06 »
Would it be possible to just keep a raw finish?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 23:00:58 »
Would it be possible to just keep a raw finish?

I certainly could entertain that option. Would you plan on applying another cosmetic finish to it?

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 23:45:45 »
Nope, I just like the way the raw metal looks :)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:14:07 »
Nope, I just like the way the raw metal looks :)

The raw milled version of this isn't going to look the same as my raw steel plates. I don't think it would be an aesthetic you would appreciate, unfortunately.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 15:46:43 »
Prototypes are in!

Album with more pics can be found here!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 16:20:50 »
Submitted. I hope the MOQ is met.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 17:31:33 »
Submitted. I hope the MOQ is met.

I'm confident it will.

Just to underline this detail, the prototypes are printed resin. The final product will be milled alu :)

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 23:47:46 »
Thanks for sharing the prototype pics; I like the profile of the cases.

Will you be able to share pics of the different finish colors (cases, plates, whatever you're able to share) before the GB concludes? :)
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 07:58:57 »
Thanks for sharing the prototype pics; I like the profile of the cases.

Will you be able to share pics of the different finish colors (cases, plates, whatever you're able to share) before the GB concludes? :)

Short answer: There are irl pics on the form site.

Long answer: The pics on the form are representative of the irl colors, but I will be endeavoring to take personal pics of the colors on identical material for comparison. Rest assured I will be diligent in maintaining consistent colors, and will be communicating with affected entrants if events warrant.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:30:17 »
Awesome, sounds good.  :thumb:

Offline Cotay

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 23:56:21 »
Is the PCB a DZ60 (as noted on GH) or ORG60 (as noted on Reddit)? The ORG60 has lamp options on Taobao that I haven't seen on the DZ60. Granted the DZ60 I'm familiar with is the one from KBDfans here: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/pcb/products/dz60-60-pcb?variant=40971616717

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 03:03:36 »
Is the PCB a DZ60 (as noted on GH) or ORG60 (as noted on Reddit)? The ORG60 has lamp options on Taobao that I haven't seen on the DZ60. Granted the DZ60 I'm familiar with is the one from KBDfans here: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/pcb/products/dz60-60-pcb?variant=40971616717

Sorry for the confusion. It will be the ORG60. I've updated the GH info. The ORG60 is a GH60-like with USB-C.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 11:07:58 »

Sorry for the confusion. It will be the ORG60. I've updated the GH info. The ORG60 is a GH60-like with USB-C.

Good news, the ORG60 looks very interesting.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 11:24:03 »
Updated with additional prototype pics!

Offline Cotay

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:15:02 »

If we don't order the optional feet, will the case still have holes for mounting feet we may have on hand? I'm interested in the gunmetal case option but would want to buy grey feet separately since they aren't an option here. I can easily toss them into my next Taobao order.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:23:03 »

If we don't order the optional feet, will the case still have holes for mounting feet we may have on hand? I'm interested in the gunmetal case option but would want to buy grey feet separately since they aren't an option here. I can easily toss them into my next Taobao order.

Mounting points for feet will be there regardless of foot choice!

Offline Cotay

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 13:06:24 »

Mounting points for feet will be there regardless of foot choice!

Excellent! I'm now in! Since I am currently compiling a Taobao order I'm going to get the PCB from there as well and will probably use the plate from my Banana Split kit.

Offline numerofour

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:06:56 »
I submitted my order around 4hrs late. Would it be recorded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 08:14:51 »

I gotchoo fam :)

Offline numerofour

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 08:24:54 »

I gotchoo fam :)
Noiceeeee

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 09:28:13 »
Thanks to all who entered!

All invoices have been sent. If you have not received an invoice, or your invoice amount is wrong, please let me know and we can work to resolve the issue.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 14:01:33 »
Thanks to all who entered!

All invoices have been sent. If you have not received an invoice, or your invoice amount is wrong, please let me know and we can work to resolve the issue.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Payment just sent. Thanks!

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:17:08 »
Robin: holy molly Batman! we missed another great HHKB style case! why do we keep missing fantastic GB, Batman?
Batman: ... no idea Robin, no idea.
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:08:03 »
Robin: holy molly Batman! we missed another great HHKB style case! why do we keep missing fantastic GB, Batman?

There will likely be extras for sale at a premium at the end of this.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:01:14 »

Definitely will be extras, I'll have a storefront with which to interact in order to purchase them. I'll also be offering a custom-color option, in case you have a dream to own a lime green cerakote MX HHKB board (like me).

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:06:39 »

Definitely will be extras, I'll have a storefront with which to interact in order to purchase them. I'll also be offering a custom-color option, in case you have a dream to own a lime green cerakote MX HHKB board (like me).
awesome, looking forward to the extras then. Robin, to the Batcave!
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:26:22 »
I would like to be able to get one, too!

Offline odd

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:15:44 »

Is there a way to be notified when the extra's are for sale? I always seem to miss out on these and this looks like my endgame 60 so me want!!!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:30:32 »
Is there a way to be notified when the extra's are for sale? I always seem to miss out on these and this looks like my endgame 60 so me want!!!

I would like to be able to get one, too!

awesome, looking forward to the extras then. Robin, to the Batcave!

Set up a reminder/follow on the thread.  It's at the top right, you can hit the "Notify" button.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:32:10 by zacheadams »

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:17:56 »
Updated OP.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:21:03 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:30:41 »
Thanks for the update, even if it's not what we all wanted to hear.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 19:28:18 »
Thanks for the update, even if it's not what we all wanted to hear.

I am working as diligently as possible to ensure a positive resolution for all. Thank you so much for your patience!

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 20:35:55 »
Thank you for the transparency and for keeping us updated (both in this thread, and earlier updates you've been providing via email). While it's always a bummer to hear about delays, I'd much rather the time be taken to get things right -- I won't perish from waiting a bit longer for my cases :) Cheers.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 12:29:18 »
I got a nice bit of good news last night/this morning for anyone who ordered a PCB, so I wanted to pass that on:

During conversations with the manufacturer handling the PCBs, I brought up the Reddit thread I linked before, referencing the issue with the in-switch LEDs. They said they would take it under advisement, and I didn't hold out too much hope of a positive resolution. However, my pessimism has again been proven ill-advised. They rehave tested our order of PCBs and found that they are free from these errors! They also upgraded every PCB to the SMD-LED possessing version! These were both nice surprises and I expect to receive the order very soon.

I'll build and test one to ensure that the in-switch LEDs do in fact work, and update all on those developments.

Offline WhitePlate

• First Grader of Nobody
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:43:54 »
Anyone know how to program new layouts for this pcb?

I'm trying to program these layouts to my campine but I have no prior experience with creating custom layouts

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 21:51:45 »
Anyone know how to program new layouts for this pcb?

I'm trying to program these layouts to my campine but I have no prior experience with creating custom layouts

Are you still running into trouble? A friend has pushed some updates to the keymaps which should allow the ORG60 to be flashed with a bit more ease.

https://github.com/pancinteractive/qmk_firmware

If you need help actually getting to the point of flashing, let me know and I'll try to come up with a simplified step-by-step punchlist. I guarantee that there are much better resources out there. Top Clack and TubroMech are very good options.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 22:07:37 »
Updated OP.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 00:25:39 »
Updated OP.

nowhere to select color on the site?

oh i'm dumb read the whole thing

might order one of these at some point, they're good
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 00:27:14 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline aznriptide859

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 00:35:13 »
Hi, I had joined the GB originally, and I'm not too happy with the screw situation on the bottom. There wasn't really instructions on where everything should go, and almost all the screw heads don't sit flush with the back of the case. Was this an intentional design, or just bad planning when obtaining the screws?

Also, the raised feet seem like they were just $5 aftermarket aluminum feet that were added to the cases, and the screw hole doesn't really match the diameter of screw holding the feet in. Is there anyway to rectify that?

Thanks!

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 01:20:35 »
Are these available right now? If i place a order i will receive the product by end of week potentially?

Offline ullr

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 01:50:46 »
I feel the need to express my dissatisfaction. Obviously the pre‐order period needs no elaboration, but the product I received I was unhappy with. The powder coating on the plate and top were night and day, the coating on the top is thin all over such that it is very granular (more so than the bottom plate) and this is most visible on the blockers where the coating is so thin as to appear slightly discolored (I got white but the blockers appear faintly bluish‐gray). Your own photos of white coating look much better to my eye. Also there was a nasty chip on the bottom plate straight out of the box. Another small nitpick is that the screws that I assume were intended to fix the stand offs to the backplate were so small that they barely function. All in all this GB was not so inexpensive that I can gloss over the issues, for the price I paid for just a case and feet I could very nearly have bought a Tokyo60 missing nothing but keycaps.

I ended up sticker bombing it, which I felt was a waste since I bought this with the finish in mind when there were very few powder coated options. Here's a little photo.

Unfortunately I don’t really have any photos of the finish before sticker bombing it since I had no hope of doing anything about it except sticker bomb it so I did that the day I got it. Anyway, while I am unhappy with it I do still hold some hope for it in light of the replacement bottom and a fresh sticker bombing, (I ****ed that up myself, no faulting you there :)) ) so I haven’t dispensed with it yet.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 02:11:41 by ullr »

Offline regionfree

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 07:04:59 »
I was in this GB. I was also very disappointed with the results. This was my first GB, but not one of the first boards I received. Also not the cheapest. I threw away my kit right after receiving it. I didn't bother trying to sell it off.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 21:00:11 »
Hi, I had joined the GB originally, and I'm not too happy with the screw situation on the bottom. There wasn't really instructions on where everything should go, and almost all the screw heads don't sit flush with the back of the case. Was this an intentional design, or just bad planning when obtaining the screws?

Also, the raised feet seem like they were just $5 aftermarket aluminum feet that were added to the cases, and the screw hole doesn't really match the diameter of screw holding the feet in. Is there anyway to rectify that?

Thanks!

I'm sorry you're not pleased with the screw hole fitment on the bottom! The screwholes around the perimeter should have been as close as possible, while a bit of the head would show. The internal portions where the standoffs would screw in, should be flush. It sounds like these aren't flush. Please PM me and we can work on getting this rectified!

I feel the need to express my dissatisfaction. Obviously the pre‐order period needs no elaboration, but the product I received I was unhappy with. The powder coating on the plate and top were night and day, the coating on the top is thin all over such that it is very granular (more so than the bottom plate) and this is most visible on the blockers where the coating is so thin as to appear slightly discolored (I got white but the blockers appear faintly bluish‐gray). Your own photos of white coating look much better to my eye. Also there was a nasty chip on the bottom plate straight out of the box. Another small nitpick is that the screws that I assume were intended to fix the stand offs to the backplate were so small that they barely function. All in all this GB was not so inexpensive that I can gloss over the issues, for the price I paid for just a case and feet I could very nearly have bought a Tokyo60 missing nothing but keycaps.

I ended up sticker bombing it, which I felt was a waste since I bought this with the finish in mind when there were very few powder coated options. Here's a little photo.

Show Image

Unfortunately I don’t really have any photos of the finish before sticker bombing it since I had no hope of doing anything about it except sticker bomb it so I did that the day I got it. Anyway, while I am unhappy with it I do still hold some hope for it in light of the replacement bottom and a fresh sticker bombing, (I ****ed that up myself, no faulting you there :)) ) so I haven’t dispensed with it yet.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't/aren't happy with your Campine kit! I definitely didn't mean to send out two different colors to you. If you can drop me a PM, I'd love to talk about getting this sorted out.

I was in this GB. I was also very disappointed with the results. This was my first GB, but not one of the first boards I received. Also not the cheapest. I threw away my kit right after receiving it. I didn't bother trying to sell it off.

Geez, I'm extremely sorry to hear that. If you felt like it was so bad that you just had to trash it, I don't really know what I can do to make it up to you. If you have a way of recovering it somehow, I'd love to talk about how I can make the kit into something that you would be happy to use.

I'm not going to pretend this was the most stress-free GB, nor am I going to pretend this keyboard kit was going to solve world hunger or usher in a new age of global prosperity. I was hoping to get everyone a kit they would be happy with for a reasonable price in a reasonable timeframe. The third goal was blown out of the water, so I was just hoping for 2 out of 3.

If anyone else that received kits but is unhappy with their purchase is out there, please do get in touch with me at your earliest convenience.

To answer the other questions, the kits are available now, and I think some people at least are happy with them? I appreciate the kind words here, thanks and for all of the folks who participated, I hope you are enjoying all of your mech engagements in good health.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 21:14:24 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 22:54:18 »
I’m pretty content with my cases. I haven’t built them, and they are certainly not as nice as many of my customs, but they also cost less than half of most of them.

Mine cost a good bit more since I paid for custom finishes and materials and stuff that wasn’t on hand or part of the original buy.

It seems like an even better deal to me now since he has them already and isn’t charging extra for it.

If you threw your case away, I can’t help but feel you had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 23:19:02 »
Geez, I'm extremely sorry to hear that. If you felt like it was so bad that you just had to trash it, I don't really know what I can do to make it up to you. If you have a way of recovering it somehow, I'd love to talk about how I can make the kit into something that you would be happy to use.

I don't have it anymore, sorry. It was my first GB, and since the time of participation, to the point where I got it, I've since built a lot of kits (about 8 keyboards at that point). I couldn't help but compare the quality to the other budget kits i've built. I got the standard layout so I couldn't help but compare it to other kits around the same price range (kbdfans 5 degree cases which I had 2 of, and Klippe, which is about 40+ more, also have 2).

What turned me off were the thin base and sides, the number of holes in the base, the bag of small screws that were tricky to figure out which ones go where, and the inconsistency of the finish. I think the quality really fell short of the price I paid for it ($148, not including pcb). I appreciated the clarity in communication that you maintained, so I'm providing my honest, and no-fluff feedback.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 23:36:14 »

I don't have it anymore, sorry. It was my first GB, and since the time of participation, to the point where I got it, I've since built a lot of kits (about 8 keyboards at that point). I couldn't help but compare the quality to the other budget kits i've built. I got the standard layout so I couldn't help but compare it to other kits around the same price range (kbdfans 5 degree cases which I had 2 of, and Klippe, which is about 40+ more, also have 2).

What turned me off were the thin base and sides, the number of holes in the base, the bag of small screws that were tricky to figure out which ones go where, and the inconsistency of the finish. I think the quality really fell short of the price I paid for it ($148, not including pcb). I appreciated the clarity in communication that you maintained, so I'm providing my honest, and no-fluff feedback.

I would 100% agree on the screw point, separate bags with labels would make that part worlds easier. The "thinness" of the sides is a design thing and was apparent from the start, so tbh, that ones on you. The thinness of the base is because it's made of steel and is orders of magnitudes stronger than alu. Making it thicker could quickly made the case too heavy, greatly increase costs and offer little if any benefit. And again, the design wasn't a secret:

Buyers remorse and/or not knowing what you were buying isn't the fault of the seller.

He could have removed a few more holes on the bottom, but I don't really see the benefit there.

I can't comment on your finish as mine is quite different than all the others. The only thing "inconsistent" about my finish was that he did not do the not visible part of the bottom plate, but the color/quality seemed the same to me and is invisible once assembled so it doesn't really bother me. I'm pretty sure this is pretty normal with powder coating tho.

I was far more disappointed in my 5deg.

Just for some clarity in case you think I have no frame of reference, among my keyboards are E6-V2s, TX60, LZ CLSh, 2 Klippes, 5 deg, Kira60. The vast majority of these ARE nicer than the Campine, all save the 5deg cost more, most by a substantial amount. The 5deg is a great value for its price, but it's a rather awful case. And I had worse luck with klippes TBH, one has a small tag on the corner like it was dragged on something rough, the other has a pretty large dent on the side and both came that way new. I plan to get rid of my 5deg, I'm keeping my Campine and still using my 2nd one as a gift as I always intended.  :llama:

Offline regionfree

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 00:02:30 »
I would 100% agree on the screw point, separate bags with labels would make that part worlds easier. The "thinness" of the sides is a design thing and was apparent from the start, so tbh, that ones on you. The thinness of the base is because it's made of steel and is orders of magnitudes stronger than alu. Making it thicker could quickly made the case too heavy, greatly increase costs and offer little if any benefit. And again, the design wasn't a secret:

Show Image

Buyers remorse and/or not knowing what you were buying isn't the fault of the seller.

He could have removed a few more holes on the bottom, but I don't really see the benefit there.

I can't comment on your finish as mine is quite different than all the others. The only thing "inconsistent" about my finish was that he did not do the not visible part of the bottom plate, but the color/quality seemed the same to me and is invisible once assembled so it doesn't really bother me. I'm pretty sure this is pretty normal with powder coating tho.

I was far more disappointed in my 5deg.

Just for some clarity in case you think I have no frame of reference, among my keyboards are E6-V2s, TX60, LZ CLSh, 2 Klippes, 5 deg, Kira60. The vast majority of these ARE nicer than the Campine, all save the 5deg cost more, most by a substantial amount. The 5deg is a great value for its price, but it's a rather awful case. And I had worse luck with klippes TBH, one has a small tag on the corner like it was dragged on something rough, the other has a pretty large dent on the side and both came that way new. I plan to get rid of my 5deg, I'm keeping my Campine and still using my 2nd one as a gift as I always intended.  :llama:

I concede that I had expectations that didn't match the design, and that it is a case of buyer's remorse. But i'm talking about the overall quality of the product for its price, and the amount of satisfaction (or lack of) derived from having acquired it.

My first klippe from 1upkeybs had issues, but I was sent a flawless replacement by LeandreN, so that was all ok. If I consider that, I'd say my Klippe was cheaper than my Campine (now I have 2).

Considering the number posts of builds using the 5 deg case, vs the posts showing the campine (after participants received their sets), I'd say the 5 deg was better received. I think it had a good balance of price and quality. Taste is subjective, though.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 22:03:22 »
i've got no hand in knowing whether or not this case is good, but i can say that the 5deg is possibly the worst quality case i've ever seen in person

felt like i could crush it like a can if i wanted to
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90