Author Topic: MX Brown switch wear/variance  (Read 893 times)

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
MX Brown switch wear/variance
« on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 14:58:01 »
I purchased a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Browns in January, used it at work and at home pretty much continuously for six months, and then damaged the cable (has since been replaced and works again).  I replaced it with the exact same model, and now that I have one with which to compare and contrast, the switches on the newer one feel much lighter or less stiff, the switches on the six month old keyboard just don't feel the same.  I even tested with some of the keys I'd never really used, such as F9 F10 F11 F12 and they seemed stiffer on the older board.

I'm just kind of curious as to how normal this is, or if I may have done something to the keyboard over those six months which caused the switches to stiffen up universally.  I never spilled anything in it and debris hasn't been anything other than you would expect from using a keyboard 15 hours a day.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: MX Brown switch wear/variance
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 17:05:16 »
I haven't had either of my Ducky keyboards long enough to comment on wear, however each switch is supposed to last for 50 million presses, so in 6 months I would not expect that there would be sufficient wear to actually be noticable.

Also I have two Ducky Shine keyboards with Cherry MX blue switches, and they feel slightly different.  The first one has a lighter more clicky feel, whereas the second has a slightly heavier more clunky feel.

I use one at home and one at work, so different envirnoments, different desks etc. may contribute.  At first I just put it down to slight variations in manufacture.

It is not significant enough for me to worry about (apart from the up arrow key on the second keyboard that works, but does not always click).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ