Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205086 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:36:10 »
Quote from: ishtob;457427
oh those, I bought 200 of the orange/red version of that... i'll play around with it see what brightness works the 100ohm for the 2 series turned out to be too dark
Thanks I would like them as bright as I can get them with out harm as I plan to use white key caps from WASD keyboards. The glowing effect should be really cool.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:43:21 »
your layout should have 64 keys, so its going to need 64 diodes, and 4 LED will be single while the 60 are going to be in series.... its going to be 4 of whatever value for 1 LED and 30 for the rest

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:59:16 »
Shoot.. just notice the smaller LED i bought were 60mcd not 600 like the one you posted... but the original LED I was using are 3200mcd... so dont know how much brighter it would be compared to the 60mcd

anyways, lets let the pictures speak for themselves: both are hooked up directly to USB power with a 470ohm inline
3200mcd running 6mA from here

60mcd running at 8mA from here

side by side comparison:

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #453 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:59:47 »
sorry its daylight out, the brighter one lights up most of the key except for the part behind the middle column

should i get some red LED to see how bright these are?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:02:48 »
this one is spec'ed at 7000mcd with the same footprint

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:06:02 »
Quote from: ishtob;457437
your layout should have 64 keys, so its going to need 64 diodes, and 4 LED will be single while the 60 are going to be in series.... its going to be 4 of whatever value for 1 LED and 30 for the rest
Yes, it has 64 keys. Are there any specifics that I need to know before looking up the diodes? As for the resistors, using this calculated that I would need at least 105ohms they recommended 120ohms for the single LEDs. For the 2 LEDs in a series I calculated 43.3ohms they recommended 47ohms. Does this sound correct? Screenshot of Calculation

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:07:29 »
theres a typo for the 1st slot, your using 1.85, not 1.58

also if your running it at that current, your USB won't be able to support it... that would add up to about 650mA roughly without calculating it

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #457 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:17:00 »
this is the one I was interested in finding, but nowhere has it:    
WP710A10SEC

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:18:53 »
Quote from: ishtob;457452
theres a typo for the 1st slot, your using 1.85, not 1.58

also if your running it at that current, your USB won't be able to support it... that would add up to about 650mA roughly without calculating it
Alright so the mA is going to have change then right? The teensy takes up 100mA right? So, 400/64=6.25mA. So that changes the resistor alot 504 and 560 recommended for the single led and 208 and 220 recommended to the 2 LEDs in series. Calculator Screenshot

As those brighter ones would be a definite benefit but their significantly more expensive.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:31:27 »
i actually dont know how much current the teensy draws :P so iono, i try to keep the total current under 350 because i saw an article somewhere saying most keybaord uses 100-200mA i took the average 150mA use

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:55:37 »
Guys, we got quotes back on switches for the Phantom group buy.  Looks like it is a go with switches.  Brown, Clear, and Red are a go.  We are at less than 200 switches for Blue, so we may axe Blue if we don't get close to 1000 blue switches.

In case you missed it, it is OK if you just want to order switches through the Phantom group buy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:58:29 by litster »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:02:46 »
Quote from: ishtob;457476
i actually dont know how much current the teensy draws :P so iono, i try to keep the total current under 350 because i saw an article somewhere saying most keybaord uses 100-200mA i took the average 150mA use
Ive have read everything on their website I cannot figure out power draw for the teensy.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:08:45 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457497
Ive have read everything on their website I cannot figure out power draw for the teensy.
I have sent an email off to their tech support to see if I can dril this down.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:09:53 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457555
I have sent an email off to their tech support to see if I can dril this down.
I got an email back
On 11/22/2011 10:22 AM, TheProfosist wrote:
    I was wondering what the power draw of the teensy was. We are using it as a keyboard controller.

With everthing on, approx 30 mA.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:11:56 »
Part of it is going to be based on clock speed.  Another part is which peripherals you're using (analog IO, PWM, ... )  And yet another part is how the firmware is written.  I don't know what's possible in terms of idle loops on this arch, but the difference between an idle loop and a busy loop is most of the power usage.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:14:23 »
Quote from: alaricljs;457558
Part of it is going to be based on clock speed.  Another part is which peripherals you're using (analog IO, PWM, ... )  And yet another part is how the firmware is written.  I don't know what's possible in terms of idle loops on this arch, but the difference between an idle loop and a busy loop is most of the power usage.
So do you think the number I got was accurate or should I supply some more specifications?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #466 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:19:09 »
Oh hey, I was still writing that.  As they say, with everything on 30ma... So I expect the KB firmware to be less than that (as no peripherals are used).  If there's a good idle loop then it should be quite a bit less.  Either way, 30ma is tiny already, anything less is noise.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #467 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:24:31 »
Quote from: alaricljs;457565
Oh hey, I was still writing that.  As they say, with everything on 30ma... So I expect the KB firmware to be less than that (as no peripherals are used).  If there's a good idle loop then it should be quite a bit less.  Either way, 30ma is tiny already, anything less is noise.
Sorry, so it would be less than 30ma? Hmm I should still leave at least that much available. I wonder how much power I should give to the LEDs.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #468 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:01:28 »
So after seeing how crazy this has been over the LEDs and implementation I may just consider going no LEDs since that was my original plan to begin with. Especially since it sounds like it would take a lot of calculation to get Blue/Purple/Green LEDs working properly and I don't want to cause anyone trouble of working that all out. So now the main thing is just making sure the Teensy is on the back so the plate will fit over the front of the PCB. And possibly only then modifying the layout to add LED layout if that is still a possibility after those first 2 big points are taken care of. Keep in mind I am not trying to change the focus but this last couple page has just been a wall of text towards LEDs without a lot of easy clarification for those of us still learning electronics and electricity or with little experience.
I would think the order of operations should be..
1. Teensy to the back so that..
2. We get a plate mount for these awesome PCBs and then if we can..
3. add LEDs after seeing how a first working PCB with that set up handles and testing how much power is being drawn.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:08:26 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457642
So after seeing how crazy this has been over the LEDs and implementation I may just consider going no LEDs since that was my original plan to begin with. Especially since it sounds like it would take a lot of calculation to get Blue/Purple/Green LEDs working properly and I don't want to cause anyone trouble of working that all out. So now the main thing is just making sure the Teensy is on the back so the plate will fit over the front of the PCB. And possibly only then modifying the layout to add LED layout if that is still a possibility after those first 2 big points are taken care of. Keep in mind I am not trying to change the focus but this last couple page has just been a wall of text towards LEDs without a lot of easy clarification for those of us still learning electronics and electricity or with little experience.
I would think the order of operations should be..
1. Teensy to the back so that..
2. We get a plate mount for these awesome PCBs and then if we can..
3. add LEDs after seeing how a first working PCB with that set up handles and testing how much power is being drawn.
Sorry about all the led stuff just figuring out what i can while I wait on other stuff.

About moving the Teensy to the back I think that we were just going to have a cutout in the plate for it that way you dont have to take apart the whole keyboard just to flash the teensy.

Yes a plate I believe that Dox is waiting on measurements of the Poker case. I do not have one yet, I believe ishtob is the only one in this thread that has one.

I did get info from the makes of the teensy saying that it draws 30mA with everything on. Also there should be some way to check how much the keyboard ishtob has is using.

Also if you want those Leds you would have to have a resistor before every LED i believe dont quote me on that though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:13:48 by TheProfosist »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:23:17 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457648
Sorry about all the led stuff just figuring out what i can while I wait on other stuff.

About moving the Teensy to the back I think that we were just going to have a cutout in the plate for it that way you dont have to take apart the whole keyboard just to flash the teensy.

Yes a plate I believe that Dox is waiting on measurements of the Poker case. I do not have one yet, I believe ishtob is the only one in this thread that has one.

I did get info from the makes of the teensy saying that it draws 30mA with everything on. Also there should be some way to check how much the keyboard ishtob has is using.

Also if you want those Leds you would have to have a resistor before every LED i believe dont quote me on that though.
I don't see any reason why we cannot move the Teensy to the back actually. The coding allows for changes like that, plus the pins can be inserted into the same place on the PCB, it would involve flipping the component and do some re-routing of traces.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:26:43 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457659
I don't see any reason why we cannot move the Teensy to the back actually. The coding allows for changes like that, plus the pins can be inserted into the same place on the PCB, it would involve flipping the component and do some re-routing of traces.
What about access to the teensy? You need to press the button to flash. Also it will stick out and thus no longer fit in a standard poker case.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:35:39 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457662
What about access to the teensy? You need to press the button to flash. Also it will stick out and thus no longer fit in a standard poker case.
have you measured the teensy as far as height, because there is a micro controller on the back of the Poker in the same place and there is a space in the Poker case to account for that, refer back to my previous pictures for proof of that. Also as I had said from the beginning we will only need to flash it a couple of times if not only once. So because of that we would still have access to the Teensy on the back without having to sacrifice structure integrity or possibly causing the spacebar stabilizers to not fit right/run out of space.
Case
Poker PCB Back
Poker Microcontroller
Different angle
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:40:09 by bloodygood »

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:36:26 »
You can flash the teensy by jumping to the bootloader with a keyboard shortcut (both shift + B) in hasu's firmware. The reset button does not need to be accessible.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:51:35 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457671
have you measured the teensy as far as height, because there is a micro controller on the back of the Poker in the same place and there is a space in the Poker case to account for that, refer back to my previous pictures for proof of that. Also as I had said from the beginning we will only need to flash it a couple of times if not only once. So because of that we would still have access to the Teensy on the back without having to sacrifice structure integrity or possibly causing the spacebar stabilizers to not fit right/run out of space.
Case
Poker PCB Back
The Teensy looks much taller in this pic than anything that could fit between the PCB and the Poker Case

Quote from: Dox;457672
You can flash the teensy by jumping to the bootloader with a keyboard shortcut (both shift + B) in hasu's firmware. The reset button does not need to be accessible.
That is good to know that it doesnt have to be accessible though I still dont know if there is enough room (especially under the spacebar) to put the teensy underneath in the poker case

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:59:57 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457684
The Teensy looks much taller in this pic than anything that could fit between the PCB and the Poker Case
Show Image

That is good to know that it doesnt have to be accessible though I still dont know if there is enough room (especially under the spacebar) to put the teensy underneath in the poker case
Ah that might be from the height of those default pins that come with the "Teensy w/ Pins" Perhaps we could use a shorter alternative? It would definitely help knowing the exact height including the mini usb at the max height.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:10:04 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457692
Ah that might be from the height of those default pins that come with the "Teensy w/ Pins" Perhaps we could use a shorter alternative? It would definitely help knowing the exact height including the mini usb at the max height.
I believe ishtob actually bought the normal teensy then bought the pins separately as the one with pins comes with them soldered on. And sadly I can find every dimension but that one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:27:08 by TheProfosist »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:22:40 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457692

As you guys are building custom keyboards.

It is totally possible to choose a different microcontroler/chip and implement that. Figuring out how to put it on a board with I/Os and loading code onto it will be stuff you need to figure out tho.

But looking at the Teensy controller, it looks like its pretty small and you're not gonna get much improvement using another chip.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:27:23 »
Quote from: hazeluff;457721
As you guys are building custom keyboards.

It is totally possible to choose a different microcontroler/chip and implement that. Figuring out how to put it on a board with I/Os and loading code onto it will be stuff you need to figure out tho.

But looking at the Teensy controller, it looks like its pretty small and you're not gonna get much improvement using another chip.
I wasn't suggesting using a different microcontroller, just shorter pins so that it would have a lower profile.
Yes we do know of the Aikon controller and the Chameleon controller are out there. The aikon would need to be assembled since I don't think there are any out there at the moment pre-assembled. Although the Chameleon controller is avaiable at a similar cost and has similar layout to the Teensy, but is made to work for keyboards as its primary use.
Available here. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12539447015

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:39:21 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457725
I wasn't suggesting using a different microcontroller, just shorter pins so that it would have a lower profile.
Yes we do know of the Aikon controller and the Chameleon controller are out there. The aikon would need to be assembled since I don't think there are any out there at the moment pre-assembled. Although the Chameleon controller is avaiable at a similar cost and has similar layout to the Teensy, but is made to work for keyboards as its primary use.
Available here. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12539447015

This one is gonna result in a ton of wires going everywhere (I made a line follower using an Arduino).
From the images I don't think you can't get much shorter for the pins. Maybe if you didn't use the black mounting plastic, you could get it lower...
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:41:10 »
Quote from: hazeluff;457735
This one is gonna result in a ton of wires going everywhere (I made a line follower using an Arduino).
From the images I don't think you can't get much shorter for the pins. Maybe if you didn't use the black mounting plastic, you could get it lower...
I dont think it would be enough to clear though the board+usb is thicker than the space would allow though I have no measurements to back this up.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #481 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:47:51 »
Also I have an update about key caps for the DOX http://tinyurl.com/6sdspp3
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:51:48 by TheProfosist »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:00:14 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457744
Also I have an update about key caps for the DOX http://tinyurl.com/6sdspp3
Although I do not see why he hasn't released a 61 key set since the KBC Poker has a 61 key set and obviously will need replacement keycaps at some point..

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #483 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:01:58 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457752
Although I do not see why he hasn't released a 61 key set since the KBC Poker has a 61 key set and obviously will need replacement keycaps at some point..
Hes waiting until he can do all layouts the Pokers will be included. Im sure that if someone really wanted a set now he would do it if they emailed him.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:05:07 »
Wow this had a bit of a price jump.. I was just looking over his site and noticed this.
$10 http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/custom-keyboard-options/custom-option-upload-your-key-design.html (Ability to add your own custom design per keycap, in other words changing the font/positioning etc.)
Cached version from just a couple weeks ago $0 http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OeOLXr28KQYJ:www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/custom-keyboard-options/custom-option-upload-your-key-design.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
I originally was get that custom done but why add another $10 when just a couple weeks ago it was free. meh guess i'll go with blanks then.

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:06:12 »
Teensy adds less height if mounted the other way up, but it's still about 7.5mm from the bottom of the main PCB to the peaks of the solder joints on the Teensy. I used an IC socket, and solid core wire for the pins (much thinner than the pins you'd get from PJRC, but not too thin).

Obviously care has to be taken so the USB socket doesn't short out on the solder joints of the switch above it, but actually it ended up even closer to the PCB than shown in this picture, after the switch's pins were trimmed back a bit...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32716[/ATTACH]

Since it's in a socket, it's removable for reflashing etc :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:08:21 by Soarer »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:10:02 »
Quote from: Soarer;457763
Teensy adds less height if mounted the other way up, but it's still about 7.5mm from the bottom of the main PCB to the peaks of the solder joints on the Teensy. I used an IC socket, and solid core wire for the pins (much thinner than the pins you'd get from PJRC, but not too thin).

Obviously care has to be taken so the USB socket doesn't short out on the solder joints of the switch above it, but actually it ended up even closer to the PCB than shown in this picture, after the switch's pins were trimmed back a bit...
Why in the world did we not think of that.. mount it the same direction, but from the opposite side.. So the orientation stays the same in other words. USB on top.

but mount it from the opposide side as in your example.
Also in the DOX layout you will notice it will not be direction under any switch pins, so there is no worries about it shorting out a keyswitch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:14:51 by bloodygood »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:10:34 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457761
Wow this had a bit of a price jump.. I was just looking over his site and noticed this.
$10 http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/custom-keyboard-options/custom-option-upload-your-key-design.html (Ability to add your own custom design per keycap, in other words changing the font/positioning etc.)
Cached version from just a couple weeks ago $0 http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OeOLXr28KQYJ:www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/custom-keyboard-options/custom-option-upload-your-key-design.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
I originally was get that custom done but why add another $10 when just a couple weeks ago it was free. meh guess i'll go with blanks then.
Maybe setup time is increased with the custom layouts? I dont $10 changing my mind from having custom legends or not.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:12:17 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457766
Maybe setup time is increased with the custom layouts? I dont $10 changing my mind from having custom legends or not.
that is 10$ in addition to the price of having engraved or lasered keys, which already costs more than blanks. Basically doubling the price difference.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:13:59 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457765
Why in the world did we not think of that.. mount it the same direction, but from the opposite side.. So the orientation stays the same in other words. USB on top.
Show Image

but mount it from the opposide side as in your example.
Show Image
Works for me we would just have to remember to flash it before making the botton not reachable and we have to have hazus firmware on there to activate it remotely. Wow ishtob is not going to like this.....

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:16:28 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457770
Works for me we would just have to remember to flash it before making the botton not reachable and we have to have hazus firmware on there to activate it remotely. Wow ishtob is not going to like this.....
But also remember you can add a couple wires to activate the reset button and then detach them later. Without even soldering them most likely. Remember? The 3 holes right next to the reset button

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:16:55 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457768
that is 10$ in addition to the price of having engraved or lasered keys, which already costs more than blanks. Basically doubling the price difference.
where are you getting that from?

WASD V1 Custom Keyboard    
Laser Etched OR Engraved    $139.99    
Laser Etched AND Engraved    $149.99    
Blank    $129.99    Blank    $49.99

WASD Custom Keycap Set
Laser Etched OR Engraved    $59.99
Laser Etched AND Engraved    $69.99

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:19:28 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457773
But also remember you can add a couple wires to activate the reset button and then detach them later. Without even soldering them most likely. Remember? The 3 holes right next to the reset button
I dont see it as a problem just remember to put the firmware on before soldering it down.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:20:02 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457774
where are you getting that from?

WASD V1 Custom Keyboard    
Laser Etched OR Engraved    $139.99    
Laser Etched AND Engraved    $149.99    
Blank    $129.99    Blank    $49.99

WASD Custom Keycap Set
Laser Etched OR Engraved    $59.99
Laser Etched AND Engraved    $69.99

87-Key Blank Cherry MX Keycap Set - $36.99
87-Key Laser Etched Cherry MX Keycap Set - $46.99
87-Key Engraved Cherry MX Keycap Set - $46.99
+ Custom Option: Upload your keyboard layout - $10
46.99 - 36.99 = 10+10 for custom = 20. Double the costs for custom.

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:20:27 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457765
mount it the same direction, but from the opposite side..

I don't think that would work - the body of the USB plug is thicker than the socket, so needs more space.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:24:08 »
Quote from: Soarer;457782
I don't think that would work - the body of the USB plug is thicker than the socket, so needs more space.
Usb Plug once stripped
once attached to the Teensy
another for good measure
and finally being positioned
I would say that isn't a very big difference in size.
pictures taken from http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:24082

Basically remove the pins from the top side, move them to the bottom side. Then wire the USB to the correct holes, and finally mount it upside toward the PCB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:26:28 by bloodygood »

Offline Soarer

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:33:23 »
Ah, ok - that would work!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:35:28 »
Quote from: bloodygood;457780
87-Key Blank Cherry MX Keycap Set - $36.99
87-Key Laser Etched Cherry MX Keycap Set - $46.99
87-Key Engraved Cherry MX Keycap Set - $46.99
+ Custom Option: Upload your keyboard layout - $10
46.99 - 36.99 = 10+10 for custom = 20. Double the costs for custom.
You have to order a custom keycap set to get custom legends which is the one that I posted. The ones you posted are just for default legends only. If your wondering why he hasnt posted a custom 87 set its because he said the price would be almost identical.

Offline Dox

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:36:19 »
Soarer, any info on the thing you are building?
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:37:14 »
Quote from: Dox;457791
Soarer, any info on the thing you are building?
Thing hes building? Im interested in things an building.