Author Topic: IBM Keycap Dyeing (Golden Yellow)  (Read 8069 times)

Offline babuinix

IBM Keycap Dyeing (Golden Yellow)
« on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 17:38:27 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 November 2014, 17:40:55 by babuinix »
i5 3470//GSKILL 8GB RIPJAW X//SEAGATE 1TB//XFX 550W//MSI GTX660 TF OC 2G

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: IBM Keycap Dyeing (Golden Yellow)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 18:40:58 »
Very nicely done!

:thumb: :cool: :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 10:56:03 »
Wow, that's a really nice shade of yellow, the dye really soaked in well and evenly. GJ :thumb:
Were you using iDye poly?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline babuinix

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:36:44 »
Thanks all, I used Dylon Dye and this session toke arround 4/5 hours because I think  I used too much water for the quantity of color powder used!

Still turned out well, next step is to plastic dip the case mate black/dark grey

Full Album here : http://imgur.com/a/wp0DV
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:38:20 by babuinix »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:53:57 »
Interesting how the modifiers ended up a much darker colour than the rest of them...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:56:51 »
Interesting how the modifiers ended up a much darker colour than the rest of them...

Not really, when you consider that they started out darker anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 16:06:48 »
Now you just need 2 gold checkkeys for homing!  :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 07:07:38 »
Thanks all, I used Dylon Dye and this session toke arround 4/5 hours because I think  I used too much water for the quantity of color powder used!

Still turned out well, next step is to plastic dip the case mate black/dark grey

Very simple, use 500ml not 1+ litre or whatever the instructions say. The more water, the more time wasted and the color density will be lower/ less vibrant colors.

I did exactly the same thing and got the same colors. Took 5 minutes of boiling, after which I left them to cool and did other things.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline babuinix

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:40:44 »

Very simple, use 500ml not 1+ litre or whatever the instructions say. The more water, the more time wasted and the color density will be lower/ less vibrant colors.

I did exactly the same thing and got the same colors. Took 5 minutes of boiling, after which I left them to cool and did other things.

The reason I used so much water was because last time it evaporated so much that I ended up having trouble keeping all the keys submerged, I thi ALL the keys at the same time, but yeah I should have used les water, still 5 minutes is not enough, at least 1/2 hours, I toke 5 hours because I would do baths of 15 minutes after boil and then take them off and put in the fridge, boil the mixture again and so on and so on!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:12:46 »

Not really, when you consider that they started out darker anyway.

Derp, of course. I'm stupid.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:48:57 »

The reason I used so much water was because last time it evaporated so much that I ended up having trouble keeping all the keys submerged, I thi ALL the keys at the same time, but yeah I should have used les water, still 5 minutes is not enough, at least 1/2 hours, I toke 5 hours because I would do baths of 15 minutes after boil and then take them off and put in the fridge, boil the mixture again and so on and so on!
[/quote]

Really don't think you need to use the fridge... never used the fridge, and I have dyed many times.

People who have bought my dyed stuff include Henz and Moemoe666; they can tell you if the dyeing had any problems.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 09:42:26 »
How much did the dye pack cost?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline babuinix

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 05:23:11 »

5 Bucks

Offline luisbg

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 05:58:06 »

5 Bucks

Really cool! Tempted to do this myself.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:43:07 »
This link should be in all of these.

Check reply #14

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg658453#msg658453

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:51:08 »

5 Bucks

Really cool! Tempted to do this myself.

FOhat has a valid concern; RIT is available in North America; Dylon in Asia and Europe. They don't work exactly the same way.

Best if you are uncertain is to have some European buy the dye with proven utility for you.