Author Topic: The GoN TKL Crystal by GL1TCH3D  (Read 19067 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
The GoN TKL Crystal by GL1TCH3D
« on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:51:15 »
Heya guys,

It hasn't been too long since I wrote my review of the Razer blackwidow ultimate 2014 that used the "MX compatible" switches.

I actually purchased that while waiting for my new GoN to come in. Though after that glowing review I quickly returned it when I received my GoN in the mail.

This is my review of the GoN TKL Crystal keyboard

My switch preferences:
45g Topre or modded clears.

Information about the new GoN TKL Crystal board:
Polycarbonate case and plate (acrylic)
Weighs a measly 665g
62g Cherry mx blacks with stickers and lube.
Wireless with battery supposedly lasting up to 24 hours. (I didn't test this myself but I tried it for 6+ hour runs with no signs of slowing down)
Cherry stabilizers (tuned)

Well to start, the first thing that struck me was the weight. I couldn't get over the fact that it weighed a measly 665g. This means it weighs a lot less than that JD40 with custom steel case and about as much as your average book. I honestly thought I'd been ripped off when I received this in the mail because it was so light. Though when I opened it I was greeted to a pleasant surprise (well, not really a surprise since it's what I was supposed to get).

The recently released GoN TKL Crystal with wireless (bluetooth), side and on-pcb LEDs, modded 62g MX blacks on a lightweight frame.

I got right down to adding the keycaps to it.

The first thing I realized is that this was a 7u spacebar(I bought the prebuilt sample board and not the custom made one) and I had sold my 7u from the granite R1 set that I purchased because I never thought I'd need it to someone else who was in the same situation as I am now and needed the 7u for his new Korean custom board. Anyway, I plopped down an extra 1.5u spacebar I had from the granite set to hold the spot for the spacebar until I find a replacement for it. (I ordered the DSA dolch set from SP with 7u spacebar as well as the translucent blue DCS set from SP with 7u spacebar as well).
So that was a bit of an oopsie on my part.

Anyway, I get all the keycaps on and start clacking away at my brand new GoN (of course I had to turn the LEDs on first). And the following is my review of the GoN including all the functions.

Build quality:

It's no doubt that GoN takes great pride in his work. Everything about this board is spot on except for a few extremely minor issues.
The first is that the stabilizer on my backspace key makes a clicking sound when I press the backspace key which is a bit unfortunate because it really stands out to me when I'm using it. Otherwise all the other stabilizers are working properly with no additional clicking or the likes.
I must say this now and I'll probably end up repeating it. I really hate costar stabilizers. I find them annoying. Between the inserts and how it changes the feel of the keyboard I just prefer to use cherry stabilizers.
Through discussions with GoN he mentioned that he disliked costar stabilizers as well and only used tuned cherry stabilizers for his boards because they're better and I'm here today to back up that claim. These stabilizers don't even feel like they're there. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of these stabilizers.

Besides that the custom acrylic case is really well done and all the LEDs have exactly the same brightness. The bolts used are all matched with I believe the same color on the metal feet on the bottom.

A few of the switches had stickers that were a bit crooked as well but in general they were all perfect.

Lastly the case bends =S

It's not really an issue while typing but definitely while putting the keycaps on I saw the case bending significantly. If you're raging at your keyboard and mashing the keys you might feel that the case is bending a bit especially in the middle of the board.

Overall score for build quality: 8/10.

Switches:

This is a quick impression of the switches. I haven't used many modded switches but besides my imagination these switches all feel identical (which is good).

None of them get stuck (mentioning this mainly because of the Blackwidow review I made) and overall a consistent feeling across the entire keyboard (even with the stabilizers).

Though unfortunately I haven't been adapting too well with the weight of the 62g blacks so if I'm tired then I type really poorly but while I'm wide awake I'll do really well with this keyboard.

Score for the switches: 10/10

Functionality:

I feel like this is an important section for a lot of people. I see a lot of people who complain about boards like the Poker 2 and HHKB not being programmable. This section covers programmable functions and functions which includes the bluetooth function of the keyboard.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't tested if the keyboard will actually last 24 hours on battery (though LEDs are forced off regardless of settings in NerD GUI). Though from my current use I've never had an issue where the keyboard has died while using it on bluetooth (and sometimes I take it to school and go 3-6 hours in classes with it for my tablet).

The bluetooth function itself only stores a single device which isn't awful. Generally I just have it connected with my tablet because that's what I use in class. Overall it's very easy to use the bluetooth function. Just hit the bluetooth toggle button and search for available devices on your device. Hit connect and you're ready to start typing away like a hipster.

And while you're still connected via USB you can hit the toggle button to switch between USB and bluetooth.

Since I use windows I have no problem using the NerD GUI which is really simple to use. I can easily map out the keyboard, change LED functions and delete macros saved (which are also very easy to create).

Score for functionality: 10/10. No complaints about the software as a windows user.

Other various notes to consider before the conclusion:

This was the sample board made for the pictures he used on his website. Quality of the final production boards may not reflect what I discussed in this review (and ever so slightly tilted keys is probably not something intentional :P)
I haven't been able to test the 7u spacebar stabilizer since I just don't have a single 7u spacebar in my house or even through local friends.

Conclusion:

This is one beautiful keyboard. Very unique and with the custom assembly of a professional this keyboard comes as an endgame player (at an endgame price of course).
Those looking for a bluetooth solution for any sized layout should definitely check out his boards since I found it very effective.

Overall score: 28/30

Thanks for reading

-GL1TCH3D

Full album of pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/izv2W
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:42:29 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: The GoN TKL Crystal by GL1TCH3D
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:59:39 »
Nice review.  I was hoping whoever picked up the sample board would share some thoughts and pics.  I gotta say, the purple feet and bolts are gorgeous and the crystal housing is damn sexy.  Interesting note about it bending, though.  I guess we shouldn't be surprised and I doubt it'd be an issue long term but it is a bit disconcerting.  When something bends that shouldn't, I always get a bit nervous. >__>  Really excited to see his 60% version of this.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:03:51 »
GON's boards have traditionally been a little on the lighter side as far as alu cases go. I'm not too surprised to see that it bends, but I'm definitely ecstatic that it does.

I don't really care because the board is so damn pretty, though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:26:24 »
Nice review.  I'm surprised you are as generous with your rating when you say the stickers are inconsistent,  the switches aren't straight and the board bends.

Is this because it was a price reduced demo?

I'm planning on buying  60% components from gon.
As the features and reviews have been very good.

His assembly prices are quite high but other reviews have been positive about the details and care in assembly.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of attention to detail described here. 

Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:37:53 »
I'm hoping for a return to aluminum when the 60 percent version comes out.

Better case and key stability.

I also hope there is better sticker placement. Slightly of sticker placement wouldn't deter me from getting a GON board though.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:40:00 »

I also hope there is better sticker placement. Slightly of sticker placement wouldn't deter me from getting a GON board though.

I believe the Crystal housing is because it's bluetooth enabled.  He already has a 60% aluminum version. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:49:56 »

I believe the Crystal housing is because it's bluetooth enabled.  He already has a 60% aluminum version.

correct
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:55:55 »
Nice review.  I'm surprised you are as generous with your rating when you say the stickers are inconsistent,  the switches aren't straight and the board bends.

Is this because it was a price reduced demo?

I'm planning on buying  60% components from gon.
As the features and reviews have been very good.

His assembly prices are quite high but other reviews have been positive about the details and care in assembly.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of attention to detail described here.

The mark on build quality reflected the stickers (of which IIRC only 2 were off from the 87 keys) and the only key that stands out as crooked if I inspect the board is the "\" key which is probably less than a degree off. Another note is that I believe the clicking in the stabilizer for the backspace only started after about a week of owning it so maybe something slipped in there. I'll do a bit of inspecting for that.

The bending of the case is not something that I'll notice while typing or even on inspection unless I actually put force on the middle of the case. And since it's a fully plastic case it should be assumed it's not as sturdy as metal. Maybe the non-prototype versions will be sturdier, I can't say. I didn't take marks off for that.

I wouldn't say there's a lack of attention to detail.

And about the price being high, well, if you  factor in 8 hours of work just for the switch modding + some extra for the stabilizer modifications (which feel fantastic. I would never be able to switch back to costar and I have actually opted not to buy a lot of the interesting cheaper boards from the classifieds simply because they're costar) then finally for the building of the product itself. To myself I consider the extra assembly fee fair compensation for the amount of work that has to be put in. There's also nothing stopping you from ordering the parts seperately.

One more note: I also ordered a sample for the MobiK so I can also write about the case for that. Since it's much smaller I imagine there won't be any bending.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:02:54 »

Well, a big portion of the bending could easily have been solved by adding a third foot in the center or even moving the feet closer to the middle of the board. I don't think it'll be much of a problem for the smaller boards (I ordered the MobiK as well which is the new 40% board coming out)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:56:10 »
How are you liking the lubed switches as of now?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:20:09 »
How are you liking the lubed switches as of now?

Better than originally since I've never owned linear switches for a long time xD

But definitely interesting, though I went clears for my mobik

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:27:33 »
Thanks for your realistic review as a real owner. ;)

Bending of the housing was taken into consideration when the housing was designed.
Some would like stiffer housings, but still others like housings /w a little tension.(I've already have NS NerD AL(Stiff) Housings too. ;))
So tension you feel with your KBD will not be different from actual/now being sold products.
In fact, your KBD is 99% the same as final version. 1% is about the hole with on the Three indicators under caps Lock key cap. ;)
No more difference. ;)

And your MobiK is also not be a protype. It will be a final version of it. But you will get it faster than others. ;)
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:53:22 »

Bending of the housing was taken into consideration when the housing was designed.
Some would like stiffer housings, but still others like housings /w a little tension.(I've already have NS NerD AL(Stiff) Housings too. ;))
So tension you feel with your KBD will not be different from actual/now being sold products.
In fact, your KBD is 99% the same as final version. 1% is about the hole with on the Three indicators under caps Lock key cap. ;)
No more difference. ;)

And your MobiK is also not be a protype. It will be a final version of it. But you will get it faster than others. ;)

Sounds really good!

I didn't knock off marks for the housing since I know you have stiffer ALU housings but made sure to mention it in case someone really doesn't want that =] (and I also wasn't sure if this was finalized either)

And the MobiK is kind of a sample? xD

Anyway really excited for the MobiK as well

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:15:12 »
hey GL1TCH3D glad I found this review.  :thumb:
That bending worries me now hopefully thats not a huge issue for me when I build one.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:39:09 »
hey GL1TCH3D glad I found this review.  :thumb:
That bending worries me now hopefully thats not a huge issue for me when I build one.

It doesn't feel flimsy but to be considered if you want something that's SUPER solid (such as a straight CNC metal plate)

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 16:56:34 »
Have been considering this, appreciate the review and pictures.  Thanks.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:33:06 »
I'm going to be revisiting this review and cleaning it up to be more up to my current standards.

I also made a booboo about the switches =S

Gonna fix that

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:13:03 »

Some would like stiffer housings, but still others like housings /w a little tension.(I've already have NS NerD AL(Stiff) Housings too. ;) )

Also for the worry-warts not wanting a flexible keyboard when typing, it's an easy fix - apply a central stick on foot and it will no longer flex.  GON has applied feet on the corners of the casing which allows a certain amount of flexing when you type in the center of the keyboard.  You simply put a stick on foot underneath to alleviate that problem if it bothers you.

Offline blai5000

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:19:33 »
I suppose you could also mitigate the flexing by removing the feet entirely?  Granted, you'd have to accept a zero-degree incline.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:25:42 »
I suppose you could also mitigate the flexing by removing the feet entirely?  Granted, you'd have to accept a zero-degree incline.

Yea you could remove the feet and maybe put down a soft pad (or use one of those whole desk mousepads)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:43:53 »
Anyway, fixed the review.

I'm retracting the part about the crooked keys because I discovered later it was a problem with the keycaps. (My bad)

Doesn't change the score. I still feel the score reflects properly on the rest of the board.

Offline mullidan

• !(Lt. Dan)
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 12:32:12 »
Nice review OP. As usual, the pics of the KB look amazing! One of these days I hope to procure one for myself. If I had known before getting into this scene just how much I was going to love mechs and  modding/customizing I probably would've just bit the bullet and got one then. You live and learn I guess..

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 13:26:48 »
Nice review OP. As usual, the pics of the KB look amazing! One of these days I hope to procure one for myself. If I had known before getting into this scene just how much I was going to love mechs and  modding/customizing I probably would've just bit the bullet and got one then. You live and learn I guess..

I'm the type that gets very into hobbies so I tend to put up more money upfront.

It's especially more obvious in keyboards because there's quite the price polarization between custom and stock manufactuered

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 19:03:54 »

I'm the type that gets very into hobbies so I tend to put up more money upfront.

It's especially more obvious in keyboards because there's quite the price polarization between custom and stock manufactuered

Be Warned........

This Site known as "Geekhack" is basically the Le Brea Tar Pit where you suddenly get caught in it and as you struggle to free yourself, you're relentlessly drawn further into it until you become another helpless victim.

He he he he  8)

Offline mullidan

• !(Lt. Dan)
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:05:05 »

It's especially more obvious in keyboards because there's quite the price polarization between custom and stock manufactured

Agreed...

60% acrylic case == $70
Nice switch housings (clear/purple ones from the group buy a few weeks ago will do...) @  $1/switch == $61, but realistically, probably more like $80 since you'll want to have replacements just in case.
PCB=Phantom  $59
Plate= Actually, no idea where to get one of these at the moment... Price guestimate .. $50
LEDs= $5.00

Total= 70+80+59+50+5+shipping ($25) == $289  so... ~$300 to DIY

Difference of $150 between custom and non-custom sound about right?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 17:36:07 »

It's especially more obvious in keyboards because there's quite the price polarization between custom and stock manufactured

Agreed...

60% acrylic case == $70
Nice switch housings (clear/purple ones from the group buy a few weeks ago will do...) @  $1/switch == $61, but realistically, probably more like $80 since you'll want to have replacements just in case.
PCB=Phantom  $59
Plate= Actually, no idea where to get one of these at the moment... Price guestimate .. $50
LEDs= $5.00

Don't forget if you're lubing your switches and spring swapping

$15 for springs
$10 for lube

And a while lot of time opening them up and doing all of this.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:47:55 »
How often do you actually use the wireless feature, and how long does it take to sync up?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:56:34 »
How often do you actually use the wireless feature, and how long does it take to sync up?

I'm going to give you data more from my use of the mobik:

I sync up for over 6hours with no issues. Pretty sure it should last 12 or more hours.

I use my MobiK in class so it's on a daily basis. Syncing is extremely easy.

My only gripe is the Fn locks if I use it too quickly

Offline Kola93

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 01:17:37 »
Cool, thank you for the info. ^-^

Seems like a neato keyboardo to use on a daily basis.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 07:50:01 »
Cool, thank you for the info. ^-^

Seems like a neato keyboardo to use on a daily basis.

no problem. I'll probably be releasing a video at some point showing the syncing.

I mapped it to Fn2+a bottom row key to activate bluetooth and Fn2+the key right next to it to switch between bluetooth and USB (it defaults to USB even if bluetooth is connected and there's no USB connected so you're forced to switch between the two)

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:12:29 »
Ugh. I need a GON just so I can take dope keyboard pictures. Great write up, man!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:17:39 »
Ugh. I need a GON just so I can take dope keyboard pictures. Great write up, man!

Haha I've been taking good care of my Mobik for pictures!

Maybe I should take a new album with my new camera =P

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:37:51 »
What an awesome review.  Thanks!  I don't think I can ever afford a GON.  :D

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:08:15 »
Nice review! Is the GUI pretty intuitive? I would love to build one of these someday.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:14:50 »
I am not sure if you wrote about the pairing process of the Bluetooth module, but I wonder how well, how reliable it is?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:53:29 »
I am not sure if you wrote about the pairing process of the Bluetooth module, but I wonder how well, how reliable it is?

I only pair it to my phone and it's seamless.

Never drops and is very quick. However it is a bit quirky if you start enabling / disabling Bluetooth on your phone or other device. However it's an easy fix, just reset Bluetooth on the board (hold the Bluetooth button until the LED stops blinking) and reconnect. Since I don't turn Bluetooth off on my phone I could in theory never have to re-pair the device. As soon as I turn on Bluetooth on the board it connects.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:54:32 »
Nice review! Is the GUI pretty intuitive? I would love to build one of these someday.

Extremely intuitive however is limited to two Fn layers (Fn1 and Fn2)

Realistically I don't see myself using more than default, fn1 and fn2 but if you have some weird projects in mind that would need multiple Fn layers that would be something to consider.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:03:52 »

Never drops and is very quick. However it is a bit quirky if you start enabling / disabling Bluetooth on your phone or other device. However it's an easy fix, just reset Bluetooth on the board (hold the Bluetooth button until the LED stops blinking) and reconnect. Since I don't turn Bluetooth off on my phone I could in theory never have to re-pair the device. As soon as I turn on Bluetooth on the board it connects.

Do you use it with your PC? I only used a BT mouse once, and I was very disappointed with frequent dropped links and hard to reset pairing.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:11:48 »

Do you use it with your PC? I only used a BT mouse once, and I was very disappointed with frequent dropped links and hard to reset pairing.

Haven't tried it with my PC

I don't have a Bluetooth adapter in my current desktop

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:41:46 »

Realistically I don't see myself using more than default, fn1 and fn2 but if you have some weird projects in mind that would need multiple Fn layers that would be something to consider.

2 Fn layers is just right for me. Can't see myself needing more.

Offline happyturtlee

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:44:40 »
Thanks for the review! Been saying for a while that this is my end game. I'll be checking this thread again when I acquire some funds.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:46:09 »

NerdyGUI application is extremely easy to use. You can re-flash the controller in seconds. There is no need for extra applications, or to run command line processes, every thing is done behind scenes by the application, you can focus on what layout do you want and where do you have the letters and modifiers.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:48:06 »

NerdyGUI application is extremely easy to use. You can re-flash the controller in seconds. There is no need for extra applications, or to run command line processes, every thing is done behind scenes by the application, you can focus on what layout do you want and where do you have the letters and modifiers.

Haha

reprogramming the Duck Viper was a major PITA

JD40 wasn't terrible but still needed the loader and a tool to put in the layout and make the firmware

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:35:56 »

Haha

JD40 wasn't terrible but still needed the loader and a tool to put in the layout and make the firmware

POK3R was pretty simple. All part of the fun.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:43:27 »

Haha

POK3R was pretty simple. All part of the fun.

GON can be reconfigured, besides being reprogrammed, meaning that you can choose between multiple layouts, including ISO, ANSI, split backspace, split shifts, 7u, 6.25u space bar to name a few, programming on top of that and you may have exactly the board you want, otherwise, you should go for direct wiring. That characteristic sets it apart from Poker for example, that has a fixed layout, and even its FN key cannot be reassigned.

Offline Keypurrfect

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:08:49 »

Agreed...

60% acrylic case == $70
PCB=Phantom  $59
LEDs= $5.00

$15 for springs
$10 for lube

How much total?  How long to ship?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 15:49:59 »

Agreed...

60% acrylic case == $70
PCB=Phantom  $59
LEDs= $5.00

$15 for springs
$10 for lube

How much total?  How long to ship?

It cost me under $400 for my GoN MobiK completely modded and everything through GoN but without the caps.

The time it takes for him to make it is long since there are a lot of orders backed up right now. Some people are reporting waiting a year for their stuff so the best option is to buy the parts (takes two weeks instead of a year) and just solder the switches in yourself

Offline Frizer

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:43:37 »
Interesting reading this and the MobiK review. Pretty boards but I'm not sure the long wait and extra cost is worth it over the other options.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:02:02 »
Interesting reading this and the MobiK review. Pretty boards but I'm not sure the long wait and extra cost is worth it over the other options.
Unfortunately right now yoiu're kind of stuck with those long wait times if you want a gon. When I ordered the TKL he shipped t within the week because it was prebuilt and the mobik took a couple of months due to the manufacturing problems coming up.

The mobik is the board that I've never considered selling, it's perfect in terms of portable boards.

If I had to do it again I'd still take the mobik again. The TKL, maybe not.I don't need bluetooth on TKL boards personally so I'd probably just get a gon pcb and put it in a full alu case of something.

Right now the bluetooth compatibility is the main feature that GoN has over the others. That and that his switch lubing is fantastic.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 05:38:59 »
Great review and fantastic pics! The bending part is a real concern, is that because of the frosted case? When I get my custom "crystal" keyboard I want as clear as possible, but not if it makes the keyboard feel less solid!

Naked PCB vs solid case is a tough choice :/

|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)