Author Topic: Clear Switch Stickers?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

Clear Switch Stickers?
« on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:15:02 »
Hey there! I'm looking for some clear switch stickers to use in my very first keyboard build! I will likely be using a Gon Nerd60, along with some of those delectable Zealio switches. Since the whole housing for the Zealio switches is totally clear, I would like to get some clear stickers to go with everything. I really would like to go all out for the board, and build it once, rather than take it apart a bunch of times, which is why I want the clear stickers (I don't want to build it without stickers, and then add some later... I want to do everything, e.g. stickers, lube, clipped stabs, etc. all at once, rather than having to redo the board a bunch of times.)

Thanks for anyone that can point me in the right direction (If anyone has a vinyl cutter, and the ability to do this, please let me know!)

Offline Roner

Re: Clear Switch Stickers?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:27:11 »
I think kbdhub have clear switch things(not sure what to call them but they are not stickers). Gateron housings are less wobbly .So for that reason Zealios are recommended to put into a keyboard without stickers

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:52:35 »
I think kbdhub have clear switch things(not sure what to call them but they are not stickers). Gateron housings are less wobbly .So for that reason Zealios are recommended to put into a keyboard without stickers
I see, the gapfilm stuff sounds pretty cool. I'll look into it, but, as per your suggestion that Gaterons may not need stickers, I think I will wait until I actually get the Zealios, to see how I feel about them before adding stickers.

Thanks!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 03:07:06 »
You don't need stickers on Zealio switches. The casings have been designed so they're even tighter than stock Gateron casings which are already tighter than MX casings, so no stickers required. They're also factory lubed on the contacts and smooth enough to not need lube on the sliders, so see how they feel before you open any. You may not need to do anything at all to them.

Nice choice of board and switches! Should be an amazing board when complete.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:01:15 »
Don't use any stickers at all. The best kind of clear.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:31:21 »
Everyone told me that stickers are just for showing off, do they actually do anything?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:47:15 »
Everyone told me that stickers are just for showing off, do they actually do anything?

They are supposed to not make the switch tops move, making them more stable.

With Zealios this isn't needed...and like some others I too would argue that the effort needed to sticker switches isn't worth the benefit.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:45:59 »

With Zealios this isn't needed...and like some others I too would argue that the effort needed to sticker switches isn't worth the benefit.

Hmm, interesting. Are stickers also unneeded on some custom boards? I'm buying a GON and am wondering if I could pimp it out with stickers, or if it would be a waste of time.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:10:04 »

Hmm, interesting. Are stickers also unneeded on some custom boards? I'm buying a GON and am wondering if I could pimp it out with stickers, or if it would be a waste of time.
If you're having GON build the board for you, I think he does stickers for you. If you're building the board, you certainly can if you want. I think GON only offers red stickers, but you could go over to techkeys and get some from a selection of colors.