Author Topic: [IC] POLYGON 65% - Prototype update 06-16-2021 - Prototype 3 has arrived!  (Read 60898 times)

Offline Rotwitt

• I'm trying to have fun designing keyboards
POLYGON 65%

253959-0

Long time no update

Almost 7 months has passed since i posted the initial IC here, and boy has things progressed. Time has been flying delays have been encountered, but Polygon has matured a lot in the meantime. The third prototype is on its way, all the colors have been revised, and the case has been completely redesigned from the bottom up between prototype 1 and 2, to meet my quality standards. It is now about time i show you the prototypes I have, my new website and some various other bits of information I'd like to share.

Pictures of prototype 3

I've gotten rid of the wall of renders. It was a bit much.
Have a look at some pictures of the real thing instead.

270727-1

270729-2

270731-3

270733-4

270735-5

Pictures of prototype 2

270111-6
Enjoying some much needed sunlight

270091-7
Knob

270093-8
Back of the board

270095-9
Polygon weight

270097-10
Colour samples

270101-11
An actual picture of the PCB

Renders of prototype 3

As stated above - These are renders. Refer to the color samples above for RL colors.

270103-12
The new inside engraving being shown off

270105-13
The new and improved POLYGON logo

270107-14
Silver render because silver never gets enough love

270109-15
Plum with a brass knob. ilikeGOOOLD.gif

Render album:  https://imgur.com/a/PLpZlMu

Old renders are available here: https://imgur.com/gallery/V72pL5I

Description

270099-16

1 – Custom knob

A custom knob for the rotary encoder. It has a diameter of 30 mm.
It'll be available in any of the available colors and as a brass version.

2 – The top

The top features a 3mm chamfer alle the way around the upper edge.
It has been given a slight fillet, to increase comfort.

3 – The mounting system

The mounting system uses four stainless steel dowel pins, and four linear low-friction bearings provide a precise fit of the plate in the case.
It also acts a rail allowing you to tune the typing feel by changing the gaskets for harder or softer ones or use thicker gaskets on one side or the other.

4 – The gaskets

The Polygon uses 12 molded gaskets. Not having the gasket surround the entire plate, will allow the plate to resonate slightly, and use the plate to create Polygons sounds signature.
The gaskets will be replaceable and cutting files will be made available if you want to experiment with gaskets.

5 – The bottom

The bottom houses the USB-C daughterboard and features a POLYGON engraving and my logo.
During assembly, the top and the bottom comes together to a form a single unit, the top and bottom is then fastened to the slope.
Six low-profile bolts are used to secure top-bottom unit to the slope.

6 – The weight

The weight is fastened to the slope, through the left and right acoustic chambers.
It weighs in at around 1.1 kg (2.86lbs). The sharp edges of the weight is what gives Polygon its name.

7 – The slope

The slope has 3 rectangular cutouts, used as acoustic chambers and will provide a unique sound signature.
The chambers can be foamed and tuned to your likings, using the provided cuttings-files. You will also have the option to choose my preferred dampening solution.

Specs:

Case and weight:

• Typing angle:
• Case material: Aluminium 6061
• Case finishing: Sandblasted and anodized
• Case colour: Silver, Gunmetal, Forest green, , Pantone 7605 c (Rose gold), Pantone 261 (Plum)
• Weight material: Brass
• Weight finishing: Sandblasting
• Approximate weight: 3,2 kg (8.37 lbs)
• Dampening: Neoprene
• Custom knob

• Case colours: Silver, Gun metal, Forest green, Navy, Rose gold, Plum

Plate:

• Plate material: Brass
• Plate thickness: 1,5mm
• Plate finish: Sandblasted

PCB:

• Layout support: ISO or ANSI
• Finish: ENIG and Custom PCB art
• Colour: Matte black
• Hotswap
• Rotary encoder
• Per key RGB
• AT Mega 32 MCU
• USB-C daughterboard
• QMK
• VIA

PRICING:

Case and PCB: 520-550 USD
Extra PCB: 80 USD
Plate foam: TBA
Extra plate: 30 USD

All prices without shipping.
These prices are unfortunately higher than the first estimates based on a quote from the manu. I recently asked for an updated quote that unfortunately came with a very significant price hike due to the current metal prices.
I am very sorry about this.

Layouts:

Each layout requires its own separate plate and PCB. The layout has been changed to accommodate wider support for more base kits.
It is important to me to provide you with the best product possible, which is way more feasible when the scale and complexity of the project is smaller.
This means that there are no plans of support for a soldered version of the PCB at the present.
IF YOU PLAN TO DESIGN YOUR OWN SOLDERABLE PCB PLEASE READ: You will need to make at least 6 switches hot-swappable. Send me a DM for details.

ISO layout:
253920-17

ANSI layout:
253918-18

Things to do:

• Wait for case Prototype 3
• Wait for PCB prototype 3
• Announce GB date and price within this month
• Ship the prototype out to reviewers
• Crack a mildly amusing dad-joke

Changes made:

• Completely redesigned the inner workings and fits to meet my quality standards
• Added engravings to the plate
• Changed the typing angle from 8 to 7 degrees
• Lowered the whole case to increase typing comfort
• Increased the knob size to 30 mm
• BIGGER Polygon logo and made the weight protrude slightly more. It also covers more of the back now.
• Optimizations made to the gasket system.
• Seamless sides
• Triangle engravings have been added to the inside of the case as well
• Added automotive-grade curves for seamless transitions from corners.

Additional notes

I will not be doing a polycarbonate version of the case because of quality concerns, when CNC-ing plastic.
Unfortunately the price has been subject to change as the metal prices have been rising according to my manu.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 June 2021, 15:24:57 by Rotwitt »

Offline Rotwitt

Re: [IC] POLYGON 65%
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:06:57 »
Reserved

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:16:43 »

Offline jontseg

[IC] POLYGON 65%
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:21:29 »
Fantastic looking board. I love the visibility of the weight, the thick bezels, and clean lines throughout. The base colors are all solid, and I’m excited to see what other ones you come up with. Personally I’d love to see a yellow or beige color make it in :). GL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:05:28 by jontseg »

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:33:36 »
Add a plum/maroon color and I will sell my soul for this

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:40:02 »
Very unique design, though the bezels are too thick for me. Glwic

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline a_turd

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:55:02 »
Wow, looks gorgeous. I doubt my wallet will allow me to participate, but I'll be watching this one just in case.

Offline kohalified

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 16:19:28 »
gib now plz

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 18:25:11 »
+1 to someone else's suggestion of Plum as a color option

I feel like the bezels are a bit too thick. I would also suggest moving the rotary encoder / knob up a bit, as it seems a bit too close to the keys below it.

Other than that, I absolutely love this.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 18:43:57 »
Holy bezels.  I like it, but the only thing that bothers me about it is that it's called "polygon" yet has very rounded corners >_<

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 21:45:28 »
Very promising, but I would only be in if it were possible to swap the function key to the left or right of the split spacebar

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 04:32:47 »
It looks like indents in the bottom, running at angles to each other. It looks very nice!

But if so, are the rubber feet crossing those indents, and hanging in the air above them?

I’d prefer the rubber feet to be designed in accordance with the rest of the design. Am I seeing things wrong here?

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 04:34:59 »
By the way, +1 for chonky bezels, please keep them if you can!

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 10:06:42 »
I've received a lot of great feedback the past 20 or so hours, thanks a lot guys!
It's nice seeing so many people liking the design I've spent so much time on.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer any questions yet. I'll do my best to answer everyone individually

It's going to be a fun experience going through all of your suggestions, and see your take on my work and improve the design.
Please keep leaving your feedback, even if you don't like the board. I'll take reasonable changes into considerations

Two major-ish changes are coming:
  • I m going to move the knob up, for both aesthetic and functional purposes
  • Everyone can't afford buying a new keyset for this board alone, which is why i am now looking into adding support for a 6,25U spacebar and 1,75U right shift

The last of the changes are going affect the spacing between the clusters on the right side. Don't worry though, I'll do my best to keep it looking good.

Oh, and I'm excited to try out the different colour-schemes that has been suggested in the IC form. Thanks a lot everyone!

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 10:27:48 »
Damn! The gold looks super hot!

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 11:21:30 »
It looks like indents in the bottom, running at angles to each other. It looks very nice!

But if so, are the rubber feet crossing those indents, and hanging in the air above them?

I’d prefer the rubber feet to be designed in accordance with the rest of the design. Am I seeing things wrong here?
I'm glad you like it!
The rubber feet will have their own grooves to sit in like this:
252832-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2020, 11:23:43 by Rotwitt »

Offline leavenember

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 11:48:23 »

I'm glad you like it!
(Attachment Link)

How deep are those grooves/how thick are the feet? Seems kinda tall, but I'm interested to see what the effect of such thick feet, even while inset, would be on the sound.

Love the way that one groove goes up and continues into the weight design. GL!

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 13:04:46 »

I'm glad you like it!
(Attachment Link)

How deep are those grooves/how thick are the feet? Seems kinda tall, but I'm interested to see what the effect of such thick feet, even while inset, would be on the sound.

Love the way that one groove goes up and continues into the weight design. GL!

The grooves aren't as deep as you'd think, only 1 mm. I'm looking foward to testing the sound!

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 13:39:50 »
Def interested! Will the pcb be only hotswap or also solderable?

Offline perry4761

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 13:48:07 »
The knob is a bit too close to the nav keys for my taste, but this is otherwise a stunning design! I think that it would look better if the distance between the knob and nav keys matched the distance between the backspace and the knob.

EDIT: Welp I just reread the post and it looks like the change I suggested has already been made. Any updated renders to show what it looks like now?

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 15:31:57 »

I'm glad you like it!
(Attachment Link)
Great, that is a nice touch. Designed well indeed, to me as somebody who has not designed his own yet.

Offline mytommy

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 16:56:34 »
hows the underglow going to appear when the case is aluminum?

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 01:25:02 »
that backside chonky  :p

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 01:25:21 »
interested in following the development of this design tho :)

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 05:39:03 »
hows the underglow going to appear when the case is aluminum?
That's a miscommunication on my part. It has per key rgb

Sendt fra min G8441 med Tapatalk

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 07:35:34 »
Def interested! Will the pcb be only hotswap or also solderable?
It will be hotswap only for now

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 07:10:18 »
I really like the project, in fact i had a very similar project in mind (65% with big right knob), i guess i will dump it at this point since this is nice, i also like the bottom and weight design, so let me suggest something.

The current layout is a bit wrong imho (especially the bottom-row). Also some people can't really go split, on both spacebar and backspace splitted. Keep in mind that split is used by a minority of people, but apart that, i would totally go for the most standard ansi/iso you can and also support split as a second option. I believe this keyboard should have this layout https://i.imgur.com/Kacsuvo.png as standard and later support other layouts (e.g. split)

Also, the current knob is pretty much un-centered http://i.imgur.com/xXJUZzA.png so i would suggest to raise it up a bit to make it equal on all the sides (you have big bezels so you can do it).

In a nutshell, i think you have two options to make it more usable for people (0.25 vs 0.5 blockers) https://i.imgur.com/ZMSuTFA.png (the right part of the spacebar can be 1.5+1.5 eventually)
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2020, 07:18:40 by KaosJ »

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 10:19:58 »
I really like the project, in fact i had a very similar project in mind (65% with big right knob), i guess i will dump it at this point since this is nice, i also like the bottom and weight design, so let me suggest something.

The current layout is a bit wrong imho (especially the bottom-row). Also some people can't really go split, on both spacebar and backspace splitted. Keep in mind that split is used by a minority of people, but apart that, i would totally go for the most standard ansi/iso you can and also support split as a second option. I believe this keyboard should have this layout https://i.imgur.com/Kacsuvo.png as standard and later support other layouts (e.g. split)

Also, the current knob is pretty much un-centered http://i.imgur.com/xXJUZzA.png so i would suggest to raise it up a bit to make it equal on all the sides (you have big bezels so you can do it).

In a nutshell, i think you have two options to make it more usable for people (0.25 vs 0.5 blockers) https://i.imgur.com/ZMSuTFA.png (the right part of the spacebar can be 1.5+1.5 eventually)

First of all - Thanks for taking your time to provide your thoughts and feedback. Few people do so, so this is very much appreciated.

I'm glad you like the design. I agree with you on the layout. During the past weekend I have been reworking the layout to turn it into a more conventional one. Both to provide wider keycap compatibility, but also to allow people who don't normally use split-spacebar to use keycaps they already own. I will update the IC, with new renders showing both the ISO and ANSI layout, when I have all of it ready. Here's the new layout for ANSI and ISO: https://imgur.com/gallery/BQHwMKf

I have also fixed the spacing around the knob 253045-0

Hope you like the changes!

Offline kumori

• polartype
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 20:11:02 »
reminds me back in the old days... when i played roblox

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 22:21:30 »
Nice work glwic
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 04:01:48 »
The knob is a bit too close to the nav keys for my taste, but this is otherwise a stunning design! I think that it would look better if the distance between the knob and nav keys matched the distance between the backspace and the knob.

EDIT: Welp I just reread the post and it looks like the change I suggested has already been made. Any updated renders to show what it looks like now?
I am currently working on some new renders, so they should be ready soon

Offline Rotwitt

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 05:34:40 »
Show Image

Feel free to share your thoughts on the design

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 15:17:17 »

First of all - Thanks for taking your time to provide your thoughts and feedback. Few people do so, so this is very much appreciated.

I'm glad you like the design. I agree with you on the layout. During the past weekend I have been reworking the layout to turn it into a more conventional one. Both to provide wider keycap compatibility, but also to allow people who don't normally use split-spacebar to use keycaps they already own. I will update the IC, with new renders showing both the ISO and ANSI layout, when I have all of it ready. Here's the new layout for ANSI and ISO: https://imgur.com/gallery/BQHwMKf

I have also fixed the spacing around the knob (Attachment Link)

I definitely think this was the way to go! The only other change I would recommend is adding some sort of blocker or changing the 3 1u keys to the right of the spacebar to 2 1.5u keys. I think more people will have keys to support that from most base kits. Otherwise, I think it's a really good change, I'm super excited to see the new renders!

I am sad we are losing split spacebar support, but having 6.25 is definitely the way to go for broad compatibility. Maybe a solderable PCB in the future with split space support?

Also... maroon... burgundy? Maybe? Perhaps? Pretty please?

Looking forward to following this project more!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 03:06:37 »

I have also fixed the spacing around the knob (Attachment Link)

Looks perfect to me! I really dig it, it has everything i want

The only other things that comes to mind:
  • more colors please, e.g. white, other...
  • a EU proxy
  • i would prefer the brass weight to be flat with the back https://i.imgur.com/U2pj9J1.png but that's just a personal opinion
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 03:14:37 by KaosJ »

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 13:47:56 »
Looks really amazing, wondering how it would look with thinner lines on the back, and straight not round corners.

Offline Infallible

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 15:27:42 »
Beautiful work on the aesthetic design. The bezels are a touch too thick for my liking, but that is preference and I think you've done a great job with what you were going for. Really like the cutouts on the bottom and the way the weight frames the usb cutout.

Offline teesui

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 16:38:30 »
Super interested. Like others have mentioned, I too, do find the bezels a tad too thick, but it adds to the overall aethetics. just wondering if there could be some contrast colours to the knob? since if it's the same colour as the case, I do find that there is a bit of an imbalance to the aesthetics, where there's an overwhelmingly concentration of the case colour (in comparison to the other corners) in that top right corner. is there an option to pick the knob from the other case colours  or does the knob have to match the case?

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:58:01 »
This is aesthetic

Offline Rotwitt

A rather big update has been made. It includes a new Layout for ISO and ANSI, a bunch of new renders, new placement of the rotary encoder and an exploded view of the keyboard.
The specs has always been expanded with two important things: GMK and VIA.

Offline Lulzthax_

Quite fond of the design on the bottom as well as the green pantone. For my personally I feel like the feet somewhat interrupt the design crossing through them and it might benefit from corner feet, objective opinion of course ;)

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
the madlad actually did it
Add a plum/maroon color and I will sell my soul for this

I'll take 28

Please make a banner for this IC so I can shill for it everywhere I go
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2020, 16:32:37 by Lizcuits »

Offline zeejet

Just here to show love for the design aesthetic and the brassed Leica M6 in the renders; you have good taste sir. Unfortunately, I'm a thin bezel type of dude :(

Offline kohalified

Loving the new colors!

Offline Glueeater

New colors & design look great!

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
I love this design. Honestly the only thing I dislike is the brass bezel at the front but I think I'm very much in the minority there. Nice work. Will watch.

Offline Rotwitt

Happy to see you like the changes I've been working on. Next on the list is preparing for prototyping the PCB and the case. It'll probably tak some weeks to get there, but that's part of the fun!

Offline atlanticise

I'M ALL IN ON THAT JUICY PLUM YOOOOOOO

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
I'M ALL IN ON THAT JUICY PLUM YOOOOOOO

retweet

Offline Ben2707

Corners are awesome, thick boi bezels are slowly becoming a thing and I love it. Great way to expand table presence without being too flashy. Tasteful design. Not sure about rotary encoder taking up such a huge spot on the upper corner as it throws the design off a little but overall looks great. Will be in for this if budget allows.

Also +1 on yellow to match dualshot/nautlius.

GLWIC!
Constellation65/ Satisfaction75/ Keycult No.1 Rev.2

Offline Icemanrec

This looks like something I could really like, is there a discord for this yet?