Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 184029 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Keyset Google Form and PCB Prototypes soon!
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:24:46 »
If anyone has contact information for maxkeys I would love to run the set through their SA profile. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
DSA profile would be much appreciated! Maybe have an extra ? key that is part of the standard color as well?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Lead times for DSA are getting to long. Just to get out of queue you're looking at august.

So SA and DSA are different?

Also, what about XDA? That's a newer linear profile, right?

Correct SA is sculpted high-profile, while DSA is non-sculpted low-profile. XDA is similair to DSA just a tad different. I believe XDA only offers dye sublimation currently and without the use of reverse dyesub the modifier colors could not be possible. Also reverse dyesub looks very inconsistent compared to standard doubleshot. But for legends it's completely fine and most of the time I actually prefer it.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #551 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:28:43 »
If anyone has contact information for maxkeys I would love to run the set through their SA profile. :D

DSA profile would be much appreciated! Maybe have an extra ? key that is part of the standard color as well?

Lead times for DSA are getting to long. Just to get out of queue you're looking at august.

So SA and DSA are different?

Also, what about XDA? That's a newer linear profile, right?

Correct SA is sculpted high-profile, while DSA is non-sculpted low-profile. XDA is similair to DSA just a tad different. I believe XDA only offers dye sublimation currently and without the use of reverse dyesub the modifier colors could not be possible. Also reverse dyesub looks very inconsistent compared to standard doubleshot. But for legends it's completely fine and most of the time I actually prefer it.
Okay, this is all very good to know!

I was just assuming that SA and DSA were the same : p

I like sculpted profiles, but it is so hard to find it for the Dvorak layout. It's not something to be worried about too much for this board, but I still wish : p

Offline megaforce

« Reply #552 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:59:08 »
Great looking DCS kit!
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Plate Prototype, Mockup and Newsletter!
« Reply #553 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:04:22 »
Hey everyone me and evan have been working on a keyset that could be offered with the board. The set would probably be DCS since DSA is backed up until august. Please fill out the google form and provide any feedback you got. Cheers everyone.

https://goo.gl/forms/V8lTPUeXBiBXKxAG3

DCS Chocolate Banana

Show Image

R1 \|, R2 1.5 Backspace and R3 1.75 Ctrl are missing.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Plate Prototype, Mockup and Newsletter!
« Reply #554 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:09:13 »
Hey everyone me and evan have been working on a keyset that could be offered with the board. The set would probably be DCS since DSA is backed up until august. Please fill out the google form and provide any feedback you got. Cheers everyone.

https://goo.gl/forms/V8lTPUeXBiBXKxAG3

DCS Chocolate Banana

Show Image

R1 \|, R2 1.5 Backspace and R3 1.75 Ctrl are missing.

Yup, I'll add those once I get home.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #555 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:20:52 »
Anyone know how I would go about contacting Maxkeys? Or if you have their contact information.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #556 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:32:55 »
Also anyone like this set idea, someone gave me the idea of using neapolitan ice cream as the theme and I really like it. Added a couple new keys to cover hhkb better.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #557 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:37:53 »
It is a nice layout; but, I am not a fan of the pink. I ain't sure if I would get  the set with it. Why not to offer the pink highlights as a sub set?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #558 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:41:57 »
It is a nice layout; but, I am not a fan of the pink. I ain't sure if I would get  the set with it. Why not to offer the pink highlights as a sub set?

That's an idea, but offering that would bump the cost even more and I do not want to use kits to complicate it. The reason I don't want to just do the chocolate/brown, is because it is too similar to chocolatier and coffee. Plus this now gives it an ice-cream theme.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:43:51 by Arhipio »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #559 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:44:50 »

That's an idea, but offering that would bump the cost even more and I do not want to use kits to complicate it. The reason I don't want to just do the chocolate/brown because it is too similar to chocolatier and coffee. Plus this now gives it an ice-cream theme.

I got the deliciousness in your proposal and the hard logic of your reasoning, so feel free to go with your heart and let us the peasants make our minds along with you good taste.  8) 8)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #560 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:48:05 »

That's an idea, but offering that would bump the cost even more and I do not want to use kits to complicate it. The reason I don't want to just do the chocolate/brown because it is too similar to chocolatier and coffee. Plus this now gives it an ice-cream theme.

I got the deliciousness in your proposal and the hard logic of your reasoning, so feel free to go with your heart and let us the peasants make our minds along with you good taste.  8) 8)

Haha, a kit is definitely an option though. I'll setup a form later tonight with questions pertaining to the new set vs the old one.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #561 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:19:26 »
I'd buy the original blue and orange set, but I would pass on the banana themed set.. brown just ain't for me. I would also wait for dsa over dcs.. or even gmk but moq probably prohibitive.
keyboards.

Offline thad

« Reply #562 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:24:39 »
The blue and orange set is what brought me here. I would buy that before I got a board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #563 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:26:16 »
I'd buy the original blue and orange set, but I would pass on the banana themed set.. brown just ain't for me. I would also wait for dsa over dcs.. or even gmk but moq probably prohibitive.

I can bring back the orange and blue. I can make a poll some time tomorrow to see which set people like the most. I liked that set a lot as well :D.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #564 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:32:16 »
I'm a fan of the brown and tan.
Just seems to fit the theme of the board better. The pink added in would work well too.

Offline thad

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:37:47 »

I can bring back the orange and blue. I can make a poll some time tomorrow to see which set people like the most. I liked that set a lot as well :D.
I would like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #566 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:38:02 »
Sorry. There is no consensus in the horizon. Everyone wants their very own. Wait! maybe the multiple options opened confuse the interested parties?

Offline arsenic

« Reply #567 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 17:29:00 »
Yeah, neopolitan! (I hope I'm not the only one who suggested this, or I'd feel like a butt for thinking it was me who got this going...)

I can understand people thinking this is too much- I'm really into it, personally, and I think that shade of pink you chose gives the set a little more dimension as far as contrast and chroma. It could also be cute to have a few optional accent keys (arrows, esc, return, etc.) as bonus keys with the classic layout. I know it'd cost more for the base set that way, but I'm generally happy to shell out a little extra on sets that are otherwise promising to get some options for little things like that. But maybe that's just me...

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #568 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 17:30:40 »
Yeah, neopolitan! (I hope I'm not the only one who suggested this, or I'd feel like a butt for thinking it was me who got this going...)

I can understand people thinking this is too much- I'm really into it, personally, and I think that shade of pink you chose gives the set a little more dimension as far as contrast and chroma. It could also be cute to have a few optional accent keys (arrows, esc, return, etc.) as bonus keys with the classic layout. I know it'd cost more for the base set that way, but I'm generally happy to shell out a little extra on sets that are otherwise promising to get some options for little things like that. But maybe that's just me...
I like the concept of this, but could you link some examples? (I'm new to this community, she there is a lot that I'm still learning)

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #569 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 20:39:43 »
Is the plate going to support switch top removal?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #570 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:06:36 »
Is the plate going to support switch top removal?

Yup :D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #571 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:08:23 »
New poll for colorways and keycap profile let me know what you guys think :D

https://goo.gl/forms/SXTuG7rj8aIvvmH92

Offline lshcb35180

« Reply #572 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:56:10 »
The Fishes and Coffee theme both looks very nice. But I think I'll pass on the pink. Btw can you tell me what is the blue case of the sample pictures?

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #573 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:10:00 »
The main design personally that I am against is the "Swimming with the Fish" one. It doesn't fit the theme of the keyboard. At least with the Neapolitan, Coffee, or Tropical breeze you can see how it is related to the keyboard name.

But that is my personal opinion.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #574 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:32:29 »
The main design personally that I am against is the "Swimming with the Fish" one. It doesn't fit the theme of the keyboard. At least with the Neapolitan, Coffee, or Tropical breeze you can see how it is related to the keyboard name.

Yeah it looks like coffee is the winner, with a neapolitan being a close second. Once I get the manafacturer sorted I would like to have a Neapolitan offered as a bonus kit.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:46:11 »

Yeah it looks like coffee is the winner, with a neapolitan being a close second. Once I get the manafacturer sorted I would like to have a Neapolitan offered as a bonus kit.
Sounds good to me!

What keycap profile was chosen?

Offline adam.baranyai

« Reply #576 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 16:39:55 »
What's the final consensus on the holtites support? Do I get it right that there's a chance they'll work but it's not certain and is not supported officially?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #577 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:42:00 »
What's the final consensus on the holtites support? Do I get it right that there's a chance they'll work but it's not certain and is not supported officially?

Yeah, basically if they work on the minivan pcb they should work on this one.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #578 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:43:12 »

Sounds good to me!

What keycap profile was chosen?

Maxkeys in the lead with XDA being a close second. Maxkeys actually doesn't support a lot of the keys in questions. I'll talk to them about it since I've been talking to someone who is in contact with them. XDA could be a possibility with reverse dye sublimation.

Offline adam.baranyai

« Reply #579 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:46:42 »
Yeah, basically if they work on the minivan pcb they should work on this one.

Great, hopefully Evangs will let us know what holtitites are most likely to be compatible with the banana split pcb then.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #580 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 23:50:15 »
Alright with the winner being coffee (chocolate) at 50% and Neapolitan coming at around 25% I decided to merge the two kits together, offering the Neapolitan (pink set) as an addon kit. Evan and I are currently in the talks of doing this with XDA with their reverse dye sublimation :D. PBT for the feelios. Let me know what you guys think.

Samples of their reverse dye sub to come soon!

In the meantime I'll be getting the pcb prototypes tomorrow, expect a couple builds to be posted this weekend.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #581 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 06:36:41 »
Alright with the winner being coffee (chocolate) at 50% and Neapolitan coming at around 25% I decided to merge the two kits together, offering the Neapolitan (pink set) as an addon kit. Evan and I are currently in the talks of doing this with XDA with their reverse dye sublimation :D. PBT for the feelios. Let me know what you guys think.

Samples of their reverse dye sub to come soon!

In the meantime I'll be getting the pcb prototypes tomorrow, expect a couple builds to be posted this weekend.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This looks awesome! Thanks for all the hard work!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:13:57 »
Thinking about doing a livestream tomorrow. Me and evan will host a Q&A session while I build a prototype board. Going to have to mess around with some stream settings but I will keep everyone posted.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:36:17 »
Thinking about doing a livestream tomorrow. Me and evan will host a Q&A session while I build a prototype board. Going to have to mess around with some stream settings but I will keep everyone posted.

Please post a link before you do! I would be very interested in watching a livestreamed build of one these prototypes. Not sure how I missed this IC before but I'm loving the plethora of layouts you have planned for this plate & am definitely very interested in joining the GB. I promised myself no more 60%s for awhile so I could add some different layouts to my custom collection, 75%, 96 key, 1800, & TKL customs are high on my list but I may have to switch up the plans to allow for this board. Very unique & very well thought out build IMO, great work here @Arhipio! :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:59:37 »

Please post a link before you do! I would be very interested in watching a livestreamed build of one these prototypes. Not sure how I missed this IC before but I'm loving the plethora of layouts you have planned for this plate & am definitely very interested in joining the GB. I promised myself no more 60%s for awhile so I could add some different layouts to my custom collection, 75%, 96 key, 1800, & TKL customs are high on my list but I may have to switch up the plans to allow for this board. Very unique & very well thought out build IMO, great work here @Arhipio! :thumb:
Will do, thanks for the thoughtful response :D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:12:09 »
Care package from the VanMan himself, PCB prototypes, jspacers and stabs. Going to do some streaming tests today I will let everyone know by tonight if I will be streaming the build tomorrow. At the moment enjoy some pictures of the PCBs.  :thumb:

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #586 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:17:06 »
Looking good. Still trying to decide what caps I'm going to put on this

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #587 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:37:12 »
There are the caps (potentially) through this group buy. If not Alibaba has some relatively cheap pbt XDA keycaps

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #588 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:45:21 »
There are the caps (potentially) through this group buy. If not Alibaba has some relatively cheap pbt XDA keycaps

Also an enjoy pbt set off aliexpress covers a BananaSplit and really any gmk set. It's a pretty versatile layout :D

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #589 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:46:45 »

Also an enjoy pbt set off aliexpress covers a BananaSplit and really any gmk set. It's a pretty versatile layout :D
Wow, I said Alibaba... I meant AliExpress xD

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 22:36:37 »
Hey everyone going to go live tomorrow at 1:00 PM PST, first half will just be me streaming, building, answering questions. For the second half of the stream Evan will join to answer more questions :D. Can't wait to see you all there.

Link to the stream: https://www.twitch.tv/arhipio

I'll also post another message before we go live.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #591 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:14:30 »
This is really interesting. I like the concept, but what will the middle key inbetween the split spacebar serve as? Anything you want to put there?

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #592 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:15:41 »
This is really interesting. I like the concept, but what will the middle key inbetween the split spacebar serve as? Anything you want to put there?
For me personally I am putting backspace on left, delete in middle, and space on right

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #593 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:24:37 »
Oh yeah that works!

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #594 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:28:25 »
Oh yeah that works!
That's what I figured as well. Reduce strain on that pinky finger since I spend most of my time doing programming

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #595 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 00:49:36 »
Oh yeah that works!
That's what I figured as well. Reduce strain on that pinky finger since I spend most of my time doing programming

This sounds really niche, but I will be using it for trinkets in League of Legends. Other than probably print screen for me, just a dedicated alt tab macro.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #596 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 08:20:25 »
For me personally I am putting backspace on left, delete in middle, and space on right

I'm using mine for a gaming build.  Gives 3 buttons I can easily hit with my thumb instead of 1.  Will reduce reaching with index and pinky finger.
keyboards.

Offline atsession

« Reply #597 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 09:46:48 »
Pcbs are looking great.  Very hyped for this.  Still would like to know the likelihood of of a retro 60 case release at the same time or if I should find another 60 case option.  Regardless I'm in for the GB.  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #598 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 10:55:56 »
Pcbs are looking great.  Very hyped for this.  Still would like to know the likelihood of of a retro 60 case release at the same time or if I should find another 60 case option.  Regardless I'm in for the GB.  :thumb:

It's looking likely :D

Offline 8megabit

« Reply #599 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 12:08:17 »
Quick question, I don't remember if this has been confirmed: will the group buy include the option to buy the stabs needed (for split spacebar layout)?
If no, what stabs do I need and where would be a good place to get them? This will be my first build so that's why I wonder. This layout seems perfect for me and I literally cannot wait!