Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183338 times)

Offline megaforce

Thanks for the support guys, didn't expect a pcb color to be so controversial. I'm sticking with yellow, fits the theme and it's unique. It'll stand out with all the white pcb's currently out.

yeah but sonic vouchers.

I'll try and strike up a deal with them, free banana splits for everyone who purchases a board. xD
Papa bless

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Will the PCB be pre-programmed to having a single tap on the right "shift" to act as "?" for us?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Will the PCB be pre-programmed to having a single tap on the right "shift" to act as "?" for us?
Yup :) and it will use evan's keyboard configurator so if you want to remap it you wont have to dabble with code.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Giorgio

Will the pcb be black with yellow traces or the other way around?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just received my invoice for the plate prototype, I will stop by Tuesday to pick it up. Expect pictures then :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Not sure yet on the traces, but the soldermask will be yellow.

Offline Giorgio

Not sure yet on the traces, but the soldermask will be yellow.

163221-0

163223-1

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Oh that's bleeping nice
keyboards.

Offline ehmlis

I love the yellow and white, but yellow and black would work great too.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just got the prototype for the plate, couldn't be happier. The finish looks great and the tolerance on the switches is perfect. Can't wait to get them to you guys. I'm at work currently but I should be able to answer any questions about it :).

Offline ChitownM2

Looks good!

Any estimates on how long to finish the pcb and get this GB rolling?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Looks good!

Any estimates on how long to finish the pcb and get this GB rolling?

Not yet, but soon my friend.

Offline NotTheVacuum

Is it a problem that the mounting holes cause separations in the left and right side? I just noticed the original design calls for there to be super thin material around those screw holes.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Is it a problem that the mounting holes cause separations in the left and right side? I just noticed the original design calls for there to be super thin material around those screw holes.

Not at all, the separation was intentionally done to make the laser cut route easier and because it was too thin in those areas. I actually forgot to post the updated file but I took that into account and fixed those holes. There is 0 flex in the plate and it is really sturdy. If you look at other 60 plates they do the same thing :).

Offline NotTheVacuum

Thanks, pardon the boob question. This is going to be my first build in all likelihood.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Thanks, pardon the boob question. This is going to be my first build in all likelihood.

No worries glad you asked, I'm someone else had a similar concern :).

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Decided to put together a mockup. Put in a variety of random switches I had, which all clicked into the plate perfectly, and put on the caps I was going to use for my board. Hope you guys enjoy.

All the mounting holes line up for poker style cases.

Top view.

Artsy angled view.

As a closing remark the plate feels phenomenal to type on, can't wait to hear what you guys think of it :D.

Offline ChitownM2

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Plate Prototype and Mockup!
« Reply #417 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 14:43:10 »
Looks very good. Can't wait to get one in my hands

Offline KINGPIN

« Reply #418 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 18:23:09 »
Per-key RGB and RGB under glow, Hi polish brass plate with coating will be my dream.
Levia Makes

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #419 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:09:26 »
Yup :) and it will use evan's keyboard configurator so if you want to remap it you wont have to dabble with code.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #420 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:33:12 »
The more I think about it, the more this layout makes sense. Pretty much what I envisioned for my end game, but with perfect keycap compatibility for me as an ISO user. Ravioli ravioli give me the keebioli!!

Personally want Zeal stabs, a custom brass plate and a Goose case, so I would only be in for the PCB itself, but you have my full support there :)
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Ghen90

« Reply #421 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:40:27 »
I am completely behind this. I made an account just to tell you that I thank you for working on this. Cannot wait to see the end result. I am ready to buy it day one. Keep up the great work.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #422 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:37:31 »
I am completely behind this. I made an account just to tell you that I thank you for working on this. Cannot wait to see the end result. I am ready to buy it day one. Keep up the great work.

Awesome, thank you for the support. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the mockup, can't wait to get a functioning prototype made.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #423 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 04:43:03 »
Something that confuses me a bit: you claim that you won't have holtite support, no alps support, yet you're using hybrid holes which support alps. What's the thought process here? If you're just rolling MX the MX holes should be better, and holtite support is easy since you just need single pin holes for the MX switches.

Another thing I was wondering about is whether you'll make it open source or not.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #424 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 12:14:56 »
Something that confuses me a bit: you claim that you won't have holtite support, no alps support, yet you're using hybrid holes which support alps. What's the thought process here? If you're just rolling MX the MX holes should be better, and holtite support is easy since you just need single pin holes for the MX switches.

Another thing I was wondering about is whether you'll make it open source or not.

Mx/alps holes vs regular cherry holes are better because they offer the same functionality but are cheaper to cut. The name doesn't make too much sense because once you make a plate universal you lose the alps functionality. Holtite support is something we just didn't consider and we will hold off on that for this gb. I have no problem making the plate open source, as for the pcb that's evan's decision.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #425 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 12:18:41 »

Mx/alps holes vs regular cherry holes are better because they offer the same functionality but are cheaper to cut. The name doesn't make too much sense because once you make a plate universal you lose the alps functionality. Holtite support is something we just didn't consider and we will hold off on that for this gb. I have no problem making the plate open source, as for the pcb that's evan's decision.
Ah, that is sensible enough. There are a few threads about holtites here and on Reddit. Just need the right diameter, which I think is worth pursuing as it's a small change for a big benefit.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #426 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 12:20:04 »

Ah, that is sensible enough. There are a few threads about holtites here and on Reddit. Just need the right diameter, which I think is worth pursuing as it's a small change for a big benefit.

If I'm not mistake, I'm pretty sure you don't need a special hole diameter for them. They should work with any pcb? I know you can put them on the planck but the planck doessn't have direct support.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #427 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 12:42:09 »
If I'm not mistake, I'm pretty sure you don't need a special hole diameter for them. They should work with any pcb? I know you can put them on the planck but the planck doessn't have direct support.

I'm not exactly certain why, but they don't work on every pcb. Sometimes the holes are too big to hold the holtite in place or it could be too small and you can't get it to seat. Other times certain keys on universal layout pcb the switch holes overlap slightly or are oddly shaped and that makes them not fit.

As far as hole diameter, I believe that is what he is referring to being able to change easily to make the pcb compatible. I would agree that it is worth contacting someone like olkb who has a pcb that is confirmed to work and verify what hole diameter is ideal.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #428 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 13:24:11 »

I'm not exactly certain why, but they don't work on every pcb. Sometimes the holes are too big to hold the holtite in place or it could be too small and you can't get it to seat. Other times certain keys on universal layout pcb the switch holes overlap slightly or are oddly shaped and that makes them not fit.

As far as hole diameter, I believe that is what he is referring to being able to change easily to make the pcb compatible. I would agree that it is worth contacting someone like olkb who has a pcb that is confirmed to work and verify what hole diameter is ideal.

Ah that makes sense.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #429 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:17:19 »

Ah that makes sense.
Nailed it! Holtites have been known to fall through some PCBs, I believe cheap Chinese ones in particular. Most Korean boards are made to hold the pins quite tight and have trouble fitting them, on the other hand.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 20:02:10 »
Hoping to communicate with you guys through multiple forms of media. Someone messaged me asking if I could "ping" them when the gb launches. I thought it would be a great idea to create a newsletter. I'll use to communicate when the group buy launches, and future updates for the group buy.

https://goo.gl/forms/FB0i4kv0nxmR8XSH3

:thumb:

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:37:25 »
Hoping to communicate with you guys through multiple forms of media. Someone messaged me asking if I could "ping" them when the gb launches. I thought it would be a great idea to create a newsletter. I'll use to communicate when the group buy launches, and future updates for the group buy.

https://goo.gl/forms/FB0i4kv0nxmR8XSH3

:thumb:

Good ass call.  Signed my ass up!  All I need is a case for this now.  Debating wood or an aluminum Tex case....  Just gotta figure out what I think will look best with GMK Plum.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Plate Prototype, Mockup and Newsletter!
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:02:38 »
I'm hoping to pair this with the sentraq 60% hi pro case that's been teased several times now.
keyboards.

Offline Nuum

Decided to put together a mockup. Put in a variety of random switches I had, which all clicked into the plate perfectly, and put on the caps I was going to use for my board. Hope you guys enjoy.

Show Image

Top view.

Show Image

Artsy angled view.

Show Image

As a closing remark the plate feels phenomenal to type on, can't wait to hear what you guys think of it :D.

Hmm the left spacebar and the middle Alt key seem to be a little bit off. The gap between left Space and left Alt seems to be too big. Also the right side of the middle Alt should line up with the right side of the B key, right? Or is it just not seated correctly?

As for PCB colour: I'm really glad that you are willing to go with yellow, it will definitely be unique!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:20:38 by Nuum »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

Top view.

Show Image

Artsy angled view.

Show Image

Hmm the left spacebar and the middle Alt key seem to be a little bit off. The gap between left Space and left Alt seems to be too big. Also the right side of the middle Alt should line up with the right side of the B key, right? Or is it just not seated correctly?

As for PCB colour: I'm really glad that you are willing to go with yellow, it will definitely be unique!

It's just not lined up properly, hard to line everything up without a pcb.

Edit: The alt key is r1 instead of r2, also why it might not look properly seated.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:08:49 »
It's because every switch from the left space all the way to the right of the plate can just slip and slide around without a PCB.
keyboards.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #436 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 21:54:47 »
It's because every switch from the left space all the way to the right of the plate can just slip and slide around without a PCB.

Exactly, but with pcb it'll be secure. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 22:05:35 »
For anyone asking questions in the google form, go ahead and pm me on Reddit/Geekhack, or post them directly in the IC.  Thanks again for all the feedback and support :D.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #438 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:24:37 »
Just sent out emails to everyone who asked a question on the newsletter.  :thumb:

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #439 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:33:35 »
Happy with the plate and PCB? So we're getting close? ;D any rough estimate when the GB action for us plebeians might begin?
keyboards.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #440 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 00:05:35 »
Happy with the plate and PCB? So we're getting close? ;D any rough estimate when the GB action for us plebeians might begin?

Evan has the design mostly finished up, he's just checking his work. He'll work on getting a prototype in the coming weeks. As for the group buy, patience :). We'll get there soon.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #441 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 00:19:39 »

Evan has the design mostly finished up, he's just checking his work. He'll work on getting a prototype in the coming weeks. As for the group buy, patience :). We'll get there soon.

oh right.. brain fart.  forgot the mock up was plate only.
keyboards.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #442 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 04:31:12 »
Please make the PCB sturdy and thick: I'll use it without a plate.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:06:49 »
Sounds like good news to me. Although it's looking like this GB might hit at the same time as a bunch of other keycaps I'm looking at. I could have to cut back on food to pay for all of this good stuff.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #444 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 22:57:43 »
Sounds like good news to me. Although it's looking like this GB might hit at the same time as a bunch of other keycaps I'm looking at. I could have to cut back on food to pay for all of this good stuff.

Yeah I get that, if the groupbuy doesn't line up well with other gb's we can always extend the time.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #445 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 23:01:33 »

+1.

Has the PCB's price been set, yet?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #446 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 23:31:22 »

+1.

Has the PCB's price been set, yet?

Not yet, I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #447 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 19:56:41 »
I would like to make something like this. I should build my own case to close those gaps at the bottom corners.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #448 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 23:29:21 »
I would like to make something like this. I should build my own case to close those gaps at the bottom corners.

Show Image

Looks sweet, can't wait to see a pic of it once it's made :D.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #449 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:50:45 »

Show Image

No ctrl?!