Author Topic: Troubleshooting TADA68  (Read 9665 times)

Offline majorjabroni

Troubleshooting TADA68
« on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 17:34:00 »
Hey yall -

Got my Tada from Originative today, Gateron reds. Plugged it in and she worked beautifully.

I followed the instructions from the manual here - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0267/1905/files/TATA68-Manual-1.pdf?5854198771446373599

Made a config on the site, saved the file, pushed the button on the board, it showed as a drive, I replaced the Flash.bin file with the new one and hit esc.

Since then, the board is unresponsive. Doesnt register any key presses, or show as a USB device. I can still get it into drive mode, allowing me to swap the config file. I tried putting the original back in, still no luck.

I am on OSX. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

Could it have anything to do with the way OSX hides files on mounted drives?
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 17:38:17 by majorjabroni »

Offline Tactile

Re: Troubleshooting TADA68
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 18:13:40 »
I'm sure you'e thought of this already but, before anything else, I'd try the procedure on a Windows machine. Then, when the keyboard is back to normal, you can diagnose.

Perhaps it has to do with Macs having two forks for files (what do they call them? data fork and something else). And the keyboard may not like the automatically created trash folder, maybe it expects the *.BIN file to be the only file present.

REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:00:51 »
I thought about it some more.

Don't use the Finder.

Open a terminal window, navigate to the keyboard, delete everything, then cp the flash.bin file over & try it again.

Do everything from the command line.
REΛLFORCE

Offline majorjabroni

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 22:59:39 »
Hey Tactile - appreciate the help!!

I went about it in a different order and got it working but Im not positive what the root issue is. Will share here in case anyone else runs into this problem.

I tried the Terminal approach first - no dice. However, I got it plugged into Windows and erased the disk via command prompt then loaded in a the new file. Voila.

Did some more bug shooting and indeed it seems like OSX is the problem- I erased and added a new .bin and it broke again. On Windows, I had to erase the disk multiple times to get it to work, not sure why either.

Either way, if anyone has any questions or anything, happy to answer them- I think there will be a second round of these soon.

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:24:43 »

I went about it in a different order and got it working but Im not positive what the root issue is. Will share here in case anyone else runs into this problem.

I tried the Terminal approach first - no dice. However, I got it plugged into Windows and erased the disk via command prompt then loaded in a the new file. Voila.

Did some more bug shooting and indeed it seems like OSX is the problem- I erased and added a new .bin and it broke again. On Windows, I had to erase the disk multiple times to get it to work, not sure why either.

Either way, if anyone has any questions or anything, happy to answer them- I think there will be a second round of these soon.
Did you get bent keycaps and/or a nonfunctioning underglow LED? Or am I just unlucky?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:19:42 »
how is it?

any other issues aside from what you've stated?

does the case feel cheap?

one of my top options for a 68key  :thumb:

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 09:50:39 »
how is it?

the case is a little bit on the cheaper side but i really think the keyboard is a great option just a few bent keycaps has me a bit upset

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 10:09:26 »
how is it?

the case is a little bit on the cheaper side but i really think the keyboard is a great option just a few bent keycaps has me a bit upset

What is a "bent keycap"?
REΛLFORCE

Offline majorjabroni

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 10:30:13 »
The case feels sturdy and looks strong. Its got a textured finish all over which gives it a nice feel to it. Im not crazy about the smooth edge where its finished on top, would have liked that to be textured as well- but that is being really picky for a well priced board. An alu case will pop up eventually anyway right?  :p

I have some bleed on my F and 5 key which is noticeable from sitting height with the lights on max, will take a pic tonight as its hard to capture in daytime.

The underglows work and I dont notice any caps to be bent or seated poorly. Im probably going to throw on some O rings to lessen the travel on the keys.

Besides the finicky setup with OSX, the programming app is easy to use and pretty self explanatory- able to make yourself really comfortable.

The FC660m was my first choice for this layout, but the key and underglow lighting swung it in this boards favor for me.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 11:25:09 »
The case feels sturdy and looks strong. Its got a textured finish all over which gives it a nice feel to it. Im not crazy about the smooth edge where its finished on top, would have liked that to be textured as well- but that is being really picky for a well priced board. An alu case will pop up eventually anyway right?  :p

Show Image

I have some bleed on my F and 5 key which is noticeable from sitting height with the lights on max, will take a pic tonight as its hard to capture in daytime.

The underglows work and I dont notice any caps to be bent or seated poorly. Im probably going to throw on some O rings to lessen the travel on the keys.

Besides the finicky setup with OSX, the programming app is easy to use and pretty self explanatory- able to make yourself really comfortable.

The FC660m was my first choice for this layout, but the key and underglow lighting swung it in this boards favor for me.

I asked sheraton if the pcb is compatible with the RS aluminum case but sadly it isn't. He did mention something about producing aluminum case for TADA soon  :))
Are the keycaps thick? i initially thought they where gateron lol

Fc660m and Va68 was also on my list, but i prefer this layout without gaps.

RS68 still no stocks and unknown ETA, i might pick up a tada while they are still available.

Thanks!

I havent owned any aluminum case so i couldnt really tell if i like them or not.

Aww, how are they bent? do you think shipping might have caused that issue?

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:38:22 »
how is it?

What is a "bent keycap"?

It seems more like

Show Image

I asked sheraton if the pcb is compatible with the RS aluminum case but sadly it isn't. He did mention something about producing aluminum case for TADA soon  :))
Are the keycaps thick? i initially thought they where gateron lol

Fc660m and Va68 was also on my list, but i prefer this layout without gaps.

RS68 still no stocks and unknown ETA, i might pick up a tada while they are still available.

Thanks!

I havent owned any aluminum case so i couldnt really tell if i like them or not.

Aww, how are they bent? do you think shipping might have caused that issue?

It seems more like the stem was misplaced or something.
For example whenever I press 3,4,5 or 7 they will rub against the back of the case but the rest of R1 is fine
They're not all perfectly straight but it doesn't cause any issues besides R1 because there's enough clearance for key caps to not rub against each other.
The R1 keys aren't visibly off but you can tell because they rub on the case, but my FN key is visibly off and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
The thick keycaps feel great and I think I like them more than my pok3r caps but the qc is just a little too loose currently.
10/10 board for the money if the bent keycaps didn't exist. Only issue I have with this board is now I want to buy a korean custom w/ gateron blacks.

Offline Birdsht

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 06:34:07 »
Looks like the top of the case needs more clearance. I really hope I get a functional unit with no obvious blems.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 06:27:08 by Birdsht »

Offline waqar

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 23:08:55 »

Bummer now I have to find someone with Windows machine. Can't experiment with layouts :-(

Offline paulgeringer

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 18:16:35 »
Here is a working solution if you are on a Mac and want to update the TADA68 layout.

Make your changes to the layout, compile and download the .bin file.
Click the program button on the underside of the keyboard to get it into usb drive mode.
Open up Terminal/iTerm.

Code: [Select]
cd /Volumes/TADA68\ \ / # it has some weird spacing here
ls -a

At this point, you should see a few files:

FLASH.BIN, ._.Trashes, .Trashes, .., ., .fseventsd
Now, type the following command:

cp -r ~/Downloads/FLASH.bin /Volumes/TADA86/ / \
rm -rf .Trashes/ .fseventsd/ ._.Trashes ._FLASH.bin

This copies the new layout over to the keyboard and then removes some extra files that OS X automatically creates on a USB drive when it gets mounted.

Finally, eject the TADA86 from the computer and try typing with the keyboard. At this point, it started working again for me. No need to find someone with a Windows machine.

I assume a similar issue would crop up on any variant of Linux that drops files on mounted drives automatically.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2016, 22:24:59 by paulgeringer »

Offline waqar

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 23:42:09 »
Finally got my keyboard today. I was able to program using macOS Sierra.
Press the program button
This will mound the drive on the desktop, DO NOT open it in the Finder*
rm /Volumes/TADA68\ \ /FLASH.BIN
cp ~/Downloads/FLASH.bin /Volumes/TADA68\ \ /FLASH.BIN

Then just eject by selecting the disk from desktop and pressing Command-E

* Not sure if this is related to macOS Sierra or not opening the disk in Finder that it does not make those extra files.

Offline frekedech

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 05:14:51 »
Finally got my keyboard today. I was able to program using macOS Sierra.
Press the program button
This will mound the drive on the desktop, DO NOT open it in the Finder*
rm /Volumes/TADA68\ \ /FLASH.BIN
cp ~/Downloads/FLASH.bin /Volumes/TADA68\ \ /FLASH.BIN

Then just eject by selecting the disk from desktop and pressing Command-E

* Not sure if this is related to macOS Sierra or not opening the disk in Finder that it does not make those extra files.

You saved my life! This one should be sticked on every TADA68 discussion.
Bitten by keycaps bug!