Author Topic: [IC] Katana60 tmk/qmk 60% PCB, with ALPs and MX support -updated intro  (Read 30218 times)

Offline clorex

Re: [IC] Katana60 tmk/qmk 60% PCB, with ALPs and MX support -updated intro
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 06:28:12 »
Update -

We will be offering the product in the following formats -

- Kit
- Plate
- PCB
- Case
- Complete Keyboard

You will be able to select the keyboard with a range of BOX and Speed Kaihl Switches, Gateron Switches and eventually hopefully coming Cherry switches. Prices are still to be confirmed.
Will Holtites be compatible?

Offline dr-slump

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 11:27:10 »
Will the case be available separately? I'd really need an additional for my my Hasu Alps build.

Grüße aus der Pfalz!
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 11:48:20 »
Will the case be available separately? I'd really need an additional for my my Hasu Alps build.

Grüße aus der Pfalz!

The case will be available separately. We will be releasing CANDY[BAR] Cases really soon that will be somewhat the same.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline Trente

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:28:58 »

Grüße aus der Pfalz!

The case will be available separately. We will be releasing CANDY[BAR] Cases really soon that will be somewhat the same.

Hope there could soon be some nice case randering pictures!

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 02:08:25 »
As the Katana60 nears launch, I've been working on an improved default layout, although I'm a Colemak user, the default layout will be QWERTY for all the unconverted masses ;)

Default layer -

Extend layer -

Num Lock layer -

Function/Space Fn layer -

DEFAULT layer
This will also be available in Colemak.

The beauty of the Katana60 layout is that pretty much every key is accessible via the home row, but there are still a good number of 'spare' or harder to reach keys which can be used as one-shot hunt-and-peck keys. Eg, in my personal layout, I use the media controls (found in the Extend layer) in the middle, instead of the navigation cluster (home, end, page up/down etc).

Of course it is possible to use a 'traditional' arrow cluster arrangement (bottom right) or the central location (as in the original post). The firmware is based on QMK, so its fully customiseable.

EXTEND layer
Currently under development over at the Colemak forum. I'd say the right hand is nearly there, and the left hand is subject to changes before launch

NUM-LOCK layer
This could be shifted 2 steps over to the right, so the numbers 4, 5 and 6 align with the hand in the home row position, I just like the fact that the '0 Ins' and 'Num Lock' keys line up perfectly for this position!

FUNCTION layer
I have been using the space key as [tap = space, or tap-hold = functino layer modifier], some may prefer to remove the layer modifier option. In this case I would suggest moving the Fn key (currently on the bottom left of the default layer) to the middle of the bottom row (where the shift key currently lives). Then you'd have a space key on the bottom left ;)

Please let me know your thoughts on the above, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:45:43 »
As the Katana60 nears launch, I've been working on an improved default layout, although I'm a Colemak user, the default layout will be QWERTY for all the unconverted masses ;)

Default layer -
Show Image

... ...

Please let me know your thoughts on the above, I'd love to hear your feedback.

I am really excited about the Katana60, I think this is one of the adventures towards ergo-friendly boards in the correct direction, but I am having a mixed feeling: None of my keycap sets can fit:

1. Row 3 (counting down from the number row) has these 1.25u caps - do these R3 1.25u caps exist - with the correct profile? And where can I get them?
And there is no way to get them correctly sublim-dyed or double-shot, I believe, not at the moment.

2. For those (like me) who are also seeking caps with correct legends, will there be some hope for us? e.g. the 1u shift caps, and the 1.25u caps on Row 3 (such as, Tab, Delete, and Enter, and I will forget about the 1.25u Page up for the time being).

Please don't get me wrong.
I like and and I am even considering to get one, but please, please let us have the possibility to obtain "correct" key caps, at least correct at the profile level, e.g. Cherry / Gateron profile.

P.s. If you change the R3 "Delete" and R3 "PgUp" to be 1u keys (or allow such a 1u-key setting in the middle), there will be a 0.5u space in the middle, enough for a Trackpoint to be installed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:47:37 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 00:24:22 »
What is the current ETA on this GB?

Launch in Jan 2018?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 18:17:43 »
Hi Darknight00z, it's no longer a group buy, but will be available to buy from CandyKeys.com more details coming very soon.

*Hopefully* it'll be ready to buy in time for the meetup in Vienna on the 26th, otherwise very early December looks likely.

I'm using one daily at work and at home - it's worth the wait!

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 18:21:58 »
Hi Darknight00z, it's no longer a group buy, but will be available to buy from CandyKeys.com more details coming very soon.

*Hopefully* it'll be ready to buy in time for the meetup in Vienna on the 26th, otherwise very early December looks likely.

I'm using one daily at work and at home - it's worth the wait!
Haven't chimed in but I've been watching closely. One of my favorite custom layouts is a split layout on a non-splitsplit keyboard (pictures are the same keyboard with different caps). Can't wait for this to be available!!

Offline josefadamcik

• homepage / blog
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 02:54:31 »
I am enjoying my katana60 right now and I like it. But I think a split version would be also nice. Is a split version still being considered?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 07:57:46 »
I am enjoying my katana60 right now and I like it. But I think a split version would be also nice. Is a split version still being considered?
A split version is indeed nice. I started prototyping again at Christmas - I'm working on two alternatives, one of which would be a Katana60 V2, the other would be a split Katana. Expect a post about the two designs soon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 13:51:15 »
A split version is indeed nice. I started prototyping again at Christmas - I'm working on two alternatives, one of which would be a Katana60 V2, the other would be a split Katana. Expect a post about the two designs soon.

I've been thinking about Katana for a while now but can't quite pull the trigger on it (sorry!). But let's see how V2 and split Katana looks like  :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 11:18:53 »
You can contribute to the discussion, I just posted a thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99136.0;topicseen