Author Topic: Best guide for deconstruction of an IBM Model F 122?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Pretendo

Best guide for deconstruction of an IBM Model F 122?
« on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:12:16 »
Thanks to some addicting reviews by Chryosan and patient gold panning on ebay, I became the proud owner of an IBM F-122 today!

The keyboard is in good shape overall, but as with 33 year old electronic device, it is not mint condition.  The most noticeable issue is with the 'C' key.  It registers, but feels gummier than other keys.  No amount of re-seating helps it.  My fear is that there is a small object (probably deteriorated foam) caught under the flipper.  Alternatively, it could just be worn out from heavy use (the ebay seller told me that the AS/400 terminal this thing hooked up to was only taken out of commission last week. Yeesh!)

Either way, I'm going to have to open this thing up sooner or later.  A bit scary considering the size of the board and my previous "luck" opening up Model M's.  I know there must be  guide or thread on this process from some brave keyboard pioneer, but I haven't been able to find it.

Does anybody have any advice for opening one of these monsters?  What is the overall difficulty level of deconstructing, cleaning, re-foaming, and reconstructing an F-122 compared to, say, a run-of-the-mill capacitor replacement job or perhaps re-foaming a speaker?  I have wood clamps and a housemate to help hold things together while I refit things, if that makes a difference.

I appreciate any help, even if it's just a link to a guide that I missed.  Thanks!
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Best guide for deconstruction of an IBM Model F 122?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:16:02 »
I think fohat.digs has one somewhere.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:55:34 by SpAmRaY »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:52:53 »
This is exactly what I needed, thanks!  It appears that I have my work cut out for me, but certainly doesn't seem impossible.

I think I'll enjoy this board as-is for a few weeks before tearing it apart, though.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 22:29:38 »
As long as you take it slowly, don't drop anything, and take lots of photos of where things are before you remove them, you should be fine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ