Author Topic: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?  (Read 32230 times)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?
« on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 19:55:12 »
My dads old membrane keyboard. It had a big*** enter key and the smallest backspace you'll ever see. I dont have a picture, but it has the cheap feel to it of a 2 dollar dell KB.
hi.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:11:43 »
My very first computer ever was an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard.  No, I don't mean a rubber dome keyboard. . .  I mean the kind where you typed directly on the membrane.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:12:48 »
Hmm.. I have a few candidates:

1. A ISO layout crammed onto an ANSI keyboard that was clearly inspired by the Mac alu keyboard but with more keys than that one. As ISO has one more key than ANSI, one key has to be sacrificed ... but of all those keys that this keyboard has, the one key that they chose to sacrifice, they chose the friggin Left Shift key !

2. Microsoft Internet Keyboard from around '00 with the "pool of melted ice cream" aesthetic that had a sloping "wrist rest" that you could not actually rest your hands on because it sloped too much and was too slippery. It was detachable, but the blob that was under it was only marginally smaller. Also, really bad key feel.

3. Lenovo Yoga Book. Touch keyboard with backlighting and only haptic feedback... only that the haptic feedback is delayed, so in practice it is nonexistent if you try to type at regular speed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:35:22 by Findecanor »

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:13:08 »
My very first computer ever was an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard.  No, I don't mean a rubber dome keyboard. . .  I mean the kind where you typed directly on the membrane.

Show Image

geez, thats painful.
hi.

Offline killyou

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 18:19:07 »
That would be Macbook Pro keyboard. My wife has 2014 or 2015 model and every time I type on it I get an irritating feeling in my fingers due to short travel and it's "crispiness". That's the only keyboard in my computing history since 1992 and Amiga 1200 days that I just refuse to use and I've used a lot of junk over the years.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 18:21:41 by killyou »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 01:50:43 »
The Fold-2000. Jesus, what an epic disaster of a "keyboard".
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 02:08:29 »
Nothing has really compared to those Smith Carona Leaf Springs I had the "luck" to try.

But as far as actual keyboards, the keyboard Apple shipped with their desktops in the mid 2000's. Absolutely some of the worst rubber I've ever tried.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 08:52:57 »
Nothing has really compared to those Smith Carona Leaf Springs I had the "luck" to try.
Oh god yes, definitely a very good second x( .

Offline zars15

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 10:34:08 »
Once I found pretty nice looking cherry branded board. Was excited, until I learned about this switch called "Cherry MY". Oh it's the most horrible thing I've typed on. It's a super awkward mix of rubber dome and spring based switch. Rubber domes feel so damn tactile compared to that mushy mess. Ended up getting rid of that board.

Don't have pictures of the board itself, but a blurry picture of the label:
179403-0

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 10:42:29 »
Once I found pretty nice looking cherry branded board. Was excited, until I learned about this switch called "Cherry MY". Oh it's the most horrible thing I've typed on. It's a super awkward mix of rubber dome and spring based switch. Rubber domes feel so damn tactile compared to that mushy mess. Ended up getting rid of that board.

(Attachment Link)
MY is not rubber dome, it's just a leaf spring. It's absolutely horrid though D: .

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 13:22:07 »
Doubt there is anything worse than this

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:30:07 »

(Attachment Link)
MY is not rubber dome, it's just a leaf spring. It's absolutely horrid though D: .
MY at least sounds nice, unlike the SC's and the breast implants.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 17:20:34 »
Those rollup silicone keyboards take the cake for me.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:36:17 »

But as far as actual keyboards, the keyboard Apple shipped with their desktops in the mid 2000's. Absolutely some of the worst rubber I've ever tried.

****!  I just found one of these at a recycling center. I should have snapped a pic for you  ^-^

Offline Diserasta

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:39:02 »

Oh jeez, those things. They were the cause of much wrist pain back when my uncle had one. They can absolutely get piped.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:52:28 »
At my work we have a sterile environment but still have to use keyboards to input stuff. We have a strong arm brand interface in each room that has an ortholinear style "membrane" like keyboard, except it takes about 300+ grams of force to actuate. I can deal with the ortholinear part, I like that, but the actually trying to type part is very difficult.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 19:06:26 »
My worst was when I was teaching at the community college.  They had podiums with built-in A/V and computers.  There was a keyboard built into the fold-down shelf.  It was horrible.  I seriously feel sick thinking about it.  It was very thick rubber (solid for water resistance i guess) with raised sections for the keys.  Oh my god it was the worst piece of **** keyboard I've ever laid hands on.  The keys were even smaller than standard size with extra space between each key.  And of course, tiny, non-standard arrow keys and home bock.  You had to press so hard it was impossible to touch type.  Barf. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:22:50 »

They don't get much worse than that. I have one rolled up in the garage in case I ever have to type under water.

I had a "Logic Controls" commercial keyboard with metal domes, intended for restaurants and the like. It was probably indestructible but horrific to use.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:43:59 »
Agreed. I've got a yellowed one just like this at work sitting on a bench and it is foul to touch. The rubber is so slow to bounce back.

Runner up goes to the brand new, mega-mass-produced basic ***** HP keyboards that ship with the computers. The plastic is thin, gritty, cheap as hell. The typing sensation is completely lackluster, the keyboard weighs nothing and flexes easily. They should have put in an extra dollar to provide something I won't hate and associate with their brand forever.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 21:50:42 »
You mean you don't already hate HP for their ****ty printers?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:17:03 »
179450-0
Do I need to say more?
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:18:01 »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:19:45 »
(Attachment Link)
Do I need to say more?

Ouch, that's sad.
Ouch is right. Typing directly on wood doesn't feel very nice pretty quickly.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:50:02 »
(Attachment Link)
Do I need to say more?
Haha, yeah, those definitely shouldn't be left out xD .

Offline elmwood

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 08:54:01 »
Aside from the Atari 400, the Atari 1040ST I had back in the 1980s had a foul keyboard. The worst conventional non-membrane, non-chiclet, non-industrial, non-on-screen keyboard ever, IMHO.  Even third party spring kits didn’t help — they added a bit more resistance, but that’s all.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:36:31 »
That's odd.  I remember rather liking the keyboard on my Atari 520ST.  Now, keep in mind that I was no keyboard connoisseur in those days.  I think the main reason I liked it was because it had so many more keys than my Atari 800XL!  More keys is more better, right?

additional thought. . .   The ST computers were all about getting more for your money.  More RAM per dollar.  More MHz per dollar.  More keys per dollar.  And if it was all flimsy crap, what of it?  As long as it was running circles around the PC clones, which it did, that was what I cared about at the time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:44:18 by Zobeid Zuma »

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 11:14:24 »

Me too! I liked the machine - was very cool at the time, but the keyboard was a killer. I eventually moved up to an Atari 800, a better keyboard for sure and as the box said: "Now with 48K RAM!".

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 13:37:51 »
Oh, and a good runner up is Alps if they're in bad shape. I tried some abused n' dirty SKCM Whites and it was horrific.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 05:44:45 »
Here is another contender.

179557-0

I should point out that this keyboard was intended for special needs, like those unable to use a traditional keyboard due to the lack of digits or lack of control of said digits. Either way, it is a $400 dual arcade stick shaped like mice, which you type with.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 October 2017, 05:46:16 by rich1051414 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 12:28:44 »
I'd say it's a tie between the cheap chiclet bluetooth keyboards for iPad and the IBM Model M.

Offline mogo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 12:50:21 »
I'd say it's a tie between the cheap chiclet bluetooth keyboards for iPad and the IBM Model M.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:12:56 »

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 17:30:58 »

hmmmmm, no need to say more.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 18:20:37 »
Half of the responses are missing the point imho. Right tools for the job and all that. You aren't supposed to type essays and **** on pocket or kiosk keyboard, but they're better than nothing in an environment, where there's nothing better.

Like, for example, those foldable keyboards. I used to have one; took it on a trip with a PDA, so that I could take / look up short notes without having to peck on a software keyboard… I simply didn't have the space for a proper keyboard and couldn't afford a good pocket one (such as Logitech diNovo mini) at the time.

If I had to pick the worst desktop keyboard, I don't know… there are way too many annoying ones that I wouldn't want to use.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 20:34:55 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:27:17 »
Show Image

wot
It's being sold right now on ebay.de as "slightly melted" xD .

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:50:27 »

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:52:46 »
Reminds me of the time I retrobrighted in my oven... then my brother came through and preheated the oven to cook himself a pizza...

To explain, on the lowest possible temp, the oven is the perfect temp to retrobright. However, I would not recommend for the above reason...

Offline Timpanogos Slim

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:03:02 »
y'all don't even know. Things were bad in the bad old days.

I recall in about 1991 i used a laptop of sorts that had keys spaced so close together that they could get stuck under each other.

other than that, I'm pretty sure i used a packard bell keyboard in the early 90's that had a resistance that felt a bit like driving a toothpick through styrofoam, with the same sort of squeak.

And then in about 1997 Compaq started shipping keyboards where the space bar was split in half and the left hand portion was a backspace. For people who make a ****ton of typos i guess.

At the time i was a traveling troubleshooter for a niche software company and one of our customers had bought a ton of those machines. It's hard enough to type with an angry customer leaning over your shoulder without accidentally backspacing over your typing. So much rage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:10:43 by Timpanogos Slim »

Offline Timpanogos Slim

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:14:35 »

I tried kinda hard to buy one of these off a neighbor in about 1989. He wanted more than i could come up with.

That was before i had strong feelings about keyboards though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:32:07 »
Reminds me of the time I retrobrighted in my oven... then my brother came through and preheated the oven to cook himself a pizza...
Ouch.

I once customised a plastic toy gun with some Sculpey, and was stupid enough to think that I could cure the Sculpey -- on the gun -- without melting the plastic.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 09:57:50 »
And then in about 1997 Compaq started shipping keyboards where the space bar was split in half and the left hand portion was a backspace. For people who make a ****ton of typos i guess.

Shouldn't that be listed under a "best keyboard" thread?  Every keyboard should have a split space bar with backspace on the left!  It's just so obviously a better place for that key.

I think the only reason this didn't catch on and become standard is because it was patented in 1996 and trademarked as Erase-Eaze.  That patent was surely bogus, or else everyone would file for a patent every time they change a keyboard layout or move any key to a more convenient location.  However, challenging even a ridiculous patent costs a buttload of money, and it seems like nobody was willing to tackle it.

Since patents expire after 20 years, I expect an upwelling of new split-spacebar keyboards Real Soon Now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 16:55:30 »
AFAIK, not all of these keyboards have had a switch for swapping Eraze-Ease and Space Bar.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 18:30:18 »
I picked up a Logitech K400 Plus to use with my Steam link. It's easily the most unsatisfying keyboard I've ever used. It feels like I'm typing on wet paper towels, but I deal with it because I don't want to buy a bluetooth mech just to play the handful of games that I do on it.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 05:37:55 »
I picked up a Logitech K400 Plus to use with my Steam link. It's easily the most unsatisfying keyboard I've ever used. It feels like I'm typing on wet paper towels, but I deal with it because I don't want to buy a bluetooth mech just to play the handful of games that I do on it.
I have a different model, don't want to hunt it down, but I don't remember it being horrible. Pretty sure it used laptop style scissor switches. Did they change that for their new wireless keyboards?

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 17:10:16 »
I guess so. I just popped a key off it and it's definitely a low-profile rubber dome.

Offline MrBeefy

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 17:15:54 »
I think the worst keyboard I have used are the new wireless apple keyboards.  As they are quite slick looking, I cannot stand the lack of button travel.  This goes double for the keyboards on the new apple powerbooks as well.    Give me one of their old A1016's anyday. 

Offline Data

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:06:01 »
HHKB

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 15:12:04 »

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:02:22 »
HHKB /savage

No but, really, Dell is pumping out these new light gray chiclet-style "keyboards". We have them at the office and it barely manages to register keystrokes. So backspace is the key used most on those ones. What ware they thinking at Dell? Also, why don't my colleagues complain?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:09:49 »
HHKB /savage

No but, really, Dell is pumping out these new light gray chiclet-style "keyboards". We have them at the office and it barely manages to register keystrokes. So backspace is the key used most on those ones. What ware they thinking at Dell? Also, why don't my colleagues complain?

Haha, I tried to convince my school to get Cherry G80-3000's for our lab (new school)
They considered it for a bit and still bought god damn chiclets, half of them have died in less in a year.. :p

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:11:22 »
HHKB /savage

Haha, I tried to convince my school to get Cherry G80-3000's for our lab (new school)
They considered it for a bit and still bought god damn chiclets, half of them have died in less in a year.. :p

I gave up on my work. I just bring my HHKB and my Avior 7000 and call it a day. Most colleagues complain about "wrist pain". Yeah, not surprising if you have the feeling that you need to hammer down each key to get it to register.

Offline mogo

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:15:38 »
Seeing how abused and icky some of my coworkers' keyboards get, I get the impression that the keyboard just isn't something they give thought to, even if their job is something intrinsically tied to constant use of a keyboard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:20:47 »
HHKB /savage

I gave up on my work. I just bring my HHKB and my Avior 7000 and call it a day. Most colleagues complain about "wrist pain". Yeah, not surprising if you have the feeling that you need to hammer down each key to get it to register.

You know what, I've given up too, I'm going to start bringing my board for school, I can probably get sick looking at those keycaps, shiny, greasy and full of food crumbs...How are you liking your HHKB? I'm about to get one.  :cool:

Our technology workshop runs Nvidia Quadros and colour calibrated monitors and tenths and thousands of dollars of wood-working equipment, it was given a huge budget but yep, Logitech K120, makes sense.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Prothrin

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:00:39 »
I would say probably any foldable silicone keyboard...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:27:51 »
HHKB /savage

You know what, I've given up too, I'm going to start bringing my board for school, I can probably get sick looking at those keycaps, shiny, greasy and full of food crumbs...How are you liking your HHKB? I'm about to get one.  :cool:

Our technology workshop runs Nvidia Quadros and colour calibrated monitors and tenths and thousands of dollars of wood-working equipment, it was given a huge budget but yep, Logitech K120, makes sense.

There's 3 HHKBs in this household and they are all holding up great. I use my white HHKB at the office as a daily driver. At home, I use my 87UB 55g, so basically 50% time typing on each.

Honestly, I could go either way as my daily driver. No to be elitist about it, but for me Topre is endgame for longer periods of typing (and MX for gaming).

If you are considering the HHKB, you could also look at the Leopold FC660C, with the difference being that the Leopold is plate-mounted as opposed to case mounted in the HHKB, and a dedicated arrow cluster and, IIRC, page up / down.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 18:30:52 »
HHKB /savage

There's 3 HHKBs in this household and they are all holding up great. I use my white HHKB at the office as a daily driver. At home, I use my 87UB 55g, so basically 50% time typing on each.

Honestly, I could go either way as my daily driver. No to be elitist about it, but for me Topre is endgame for longer periods of typing (and MX for gaming).

If you are considering the HHKB, you could also look at the Leopold FC660C, with the difference being that the Leopold is plate-mounted as opposed to case mounted in the HHKB, and a dedicated arrow cluster and, IIRC, page up / down.

After a long discussion on a thread I started "HHKB VS 660C Battle of the ultimate Topre" I ask around and got some opinions from people who have tried both boards, I came down to the HHKB Type-S vs the tandard Pro 2, the main reasoning was probably the layout, I also like the look and how it sounded and the whole package was simply more attractive to me.

The 660C is actually more expensive than the HHKB Pro2 when shipped to my country...
$60 more in fact...

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline ullr

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 22:20:55 »
In recent memory, actually the HHKB JP

I don’t know if it’s similar to the normal HHKB but the switches felt like mushy linears, the Dell rubber dome in my room (the one notorious for being ****) had a better feeling. It is so light it feels like it would blow away in a stiff breeze.

Not falling for the Topre meme again

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 07:14:26 »
Dell KB216!

They provided those to us at the office along with DELL laptops and monitors, by far the worst keyboard I ever used!

180236-0

Took me 3 days to order a 10keyless with MX Blue switches to replace it with!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 15:39:42 »
Funny enough I remember grade 10 keyboarding class, we had those iMac gen 3(?) keyboards.

The keyboard itself look amazing, however it would lock and bind on off centre strikes so it would be really annoying when you try to type fast (keyboarding class) and the keys would lock itself.

180250-0

You'd assume for "keyboarding class" they use nicer keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 15:41:36 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:24:13 »
Funny enough I remember grade 10 keyboarding class, we had those iMac gen 3(?) keyboards.

The keyboard itself look amazing, however it would lock and bind on off centre strikes so it would be really annoying when you try to type fast (keyboarding class) and the keys would lock itself.

(Attachment Link)

Yep I think those are like the ones I mentioned.

As someone else noted about them is that the rubber seems to slow to come back up.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:28:59 »
Worst mechanical keyboard I ever used was the first one I tried, the POS "Black Widow" by Razer.  Their products are all junk, mice junk, everything junk.   

Offline mogo

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:51:00 »

(Attachment Link)

They definitely have crap rubber that only gets worse and mushier over time, but I haven't had the off-center catching happen. But if it's a keyboard in a high school, it's not surprising to think that they were gummed up with soda/crumbs/whatever other horrifying contaminants teenagers can pack into them.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:22:15 »

(Attachment Link)

Interesting. I actually pretty liked those boards back in the day. But I wasn't particularly into boards back then.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:36:54 »
I tried one out yesterday. Mushy, binds on off-centre presses, key surface is too big ... and it collects dust and crud in a transparent tray.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:29:26 »
I'm going to say this one:

That's right, the keys were actually weird rectangular buttons you had to essentially push straight down, and which you couldn't touch-type on.

The 4A was a bit better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:35:49 by Snarfangel »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 00:44:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

That's right, the keys were actually weird rectangular buttons you had to essentially push straight down, and which you couldn't touch-type on.

The 4A was a bit better.
Jeez, the 4A was BETTER?! Oo

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:47:56 »
The Dell L700?  Looks like this or like it.  Shipped with Dell Pentium computers in early 2000's.  Every key rattles, makes horrible noise, is wobbly, and mushy.

Nobody wanted to use a 60% keyboard at work, so I replaced the one I use with a Cherry MX 3.0, a vast improvement.

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:48:40 »
Worst keyboard ever was the HHKB..

Offline ardentdreg

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 22:43:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

The 4A was a bit better.
Jeez, the 4A was BETTER?! Oo

I should have appreciated the improved 4/a keyboard more as a kid! The TI joysticks made up for it.
The bottom of the flare of the base of the joystick wasn't low enough to stay below the surface of the joystick housing, somehow exactly the right size to nick the side of the housing, and sharp. Since the base was only like 3" wide, the meat by the base of the thumb of your off hand (holding the joystick base) would inevitably come within hole-punch distance in the heat of Parsec or Miner 2049'er battle and then your brother would win and you'd have to sulk off and tend your literal wounds.

Anyway, keyboards. Whatever that ubiquitous $5 Dell brick that Dell tossed in for free with every computer or monitor or whatever whether you wanted it or not until like 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they used those things as shipping box filler. My employer had heaps of those things hoarded away. I'd have one destroyed, unusable, in a couple of months. The keycaps ran on these tubular sockets that would gall, and before you know it the keys you used most would bind halfway down. I hated those keyboards, so I didn't let that stop me, keep pushing through the creeeeaaak and they'd CRACK down sounding like you'd just split the entire keyboard. Which was cathartic, until realizing that nothing broke, which was the second most disappointing thing about that keyboard, the first being the endless supply of identical replacements.

It's totally correct that membrane, or otherwise keyless keyboards are undeniably more awful on a one-on-one comparison. Pretty much the (in)tangible embodiment of malevolent design intent. However... Imagine Gauntlet. Ye olde video game Gauntlet. I fought those Dell bricks like an unstoppable wave of Gauntlet skeletons granted the ability to shoot the food. An insanely terrible, legitimately useless keyboard would have been refreshing, like a nice boss battle. Skeletons are the worst.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 11:27:19 »
Okay, how bout the Logitech Wave?  I actually do like the wave profile and find it ergonomic, but if you missed the center which often happened the key cap would bind up.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline shinze

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 11:51:26 »
A ZX81 its only a membrane, hard as wood…

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline mogo

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:09:02 »
Okay, how bout the Logitech Wave?  I actually do like the wave profile and find it ergonomic, but if you missed the center which often happened the key cap would bind up.

The Wave is on my "Best non-mechanical board" list. I still miss it.

Show Image

ye gods. Is there any feedback at all? A bubble? Or is this just something you stub your fingers on and hope it's working?

Offline shinze

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 14:52:29 »

The Wave is on my "Best non-mechanical board" list. I still miss it.

Show Image

ye gods. Is there any feedback at all? A bubble? Or is this just something you stub your fingers on and hope it's working?
Not a single bump or click feeling, only finger muscle and extreme patience to type any basic program.

Offline ollir

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 16:49:54 »
I was thinking of something with Cherry MY's but then I remembered this.

Never make any mistaeks.

Offline mogo

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 18:51:56 »
I was thinking of something with Cherry MY's but then I remembered this.
Now that is a letter of hatred.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 19:32:57 »
I have never used this work of art, but it probably deserves an honorable mention here:

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 21:32:41 »
I have never used this work of art, but it probably deserves an honorable mention here:

Imagine the media release:
Introducing the JiZZ Magic Wand.
The ultimate keen for the ultimate wanker!
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:25:14 »
surface pro board:

followed closely by just about every mac keyboard post alps.
-Dana

Offline mogo

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:23:30 »
surface pro board:
Show Image

followed closely by just about every mac keyboard post alps.
Show Image

I actually don't mind the aluminum apple kb's. The short-throw scissor switch isn't bad (or is it butterfly? I dunno the difference :X).

Offline dante

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:37:01 »
I don't remember the name of it or what mechanism it used, but it was a one piece dumb terminal with a phone and 300bps modem built in.

It was at least 100g of stiff mush and the worst keyboard I've ever typed on.

I used it as a teenager in the 80's to find love in all the wrong places.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:38:53 by dante »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:37:40 »
Show Image

my vote is also for these roll-up silicone sheets...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:45:40 »
surface pro board:
I think it belongs on this list only because the key surface is ultra-slippery.
Otherwise, chiclet or not is a matter of preference.

The tactility, stability and key travel isn't as bad as some other low-profile keyboards I have encountered and Microsoft has (finally) given up on the ridiculous idea of reducing the keyboard by 1/2 key on the right side so that ISO Enters would get super-slim -- something which Apple still persists in doing.

Apple's chiclet keyboards are at least quite tactile, stable and have frictiony surfaces.
I came across an older white MacBook (not "Pro") the other day: it had slippery keys though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:47:44 by Findecanor »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:50:11 »
I don't remember the name of it or what mechanism it used, but it was a one piece dumb terminal with a phone and 300bps modem built in.

That sounds like something like a Minitel, or a local variant. Here in Sweden, my dad had a Teleguide for a while.

Offline dante

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:47:28 »

That sounds like something like a Minitel, or a local variant. Here in Sweden, my dad had a Teleguide for a while.

Didn't look like either of those.  It had full key travel and the phone/modem was on the left (I think... it's been 20+ years...)

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:26:38 »
Show Image

my vote is also for these roll-up silicone sheets...

hahaha, They are a joke.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 03:21:11 »
I see a couple of other membrane keyboards mentioned, but I'd like to add the membrane keyboard on the Magnavox Odyssey 2.  It wasn't even on a real computer, just an also-ran console that wished it was the Atari 2600.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 06:06:58 »

I have a friend who works for these guys (he hates the board as well) but was given it for free... I have it for novelty sake but have tried to type on it. Not only is it membrane, it's ortho-linear, and the buttons are huge... how they thought this was a great way to teach kids to learn computers blows my mind. It's absolutely terrible. But hey, it looks good with all the other weird keyboards I build and it was free, so whatever.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 12:35:30 »
Show Image

I have a friend who works for these guys (he hates the board as well) but was given it for free... I have it for novelty sake but have tried to type on it. Not only is it membrane, it's ortho-linear, and the buttons are huge... how they thought this was a great way to teach kids to learn computers blows my mind. It's absolutely terrible. But hey, it looks good with all the other weird keyboards I build and it was free, so whatever.

I'm a kid, I'm glad I didn't learn to type on that.
The Ortho is a little weird to be on a kid's keyboard, the modifiers! look at the tab and capslock!  :))

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 14:57:06 »
Lenovo Ideapad 710S ultrabook keyboard.
Whoever came up with an idea to put right Shift on the right side of the up arrow key (so it goes like / <up> <RShift>) should be pummeled to death with a Model M...
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:28:13 »
The Ortho is a little weird to be on a kid's keyboard, the modifiers! look at the tab and capslock!  :))

I can see their idea behind the color scheme where each different type of character or modifier is a different color to teach kids what is the same, but kids have little hands and shouldnt be trying to use those giant buttons. I'm over 6ft tall and I have trouble stretching my fingers to fluidly hit the right keys. I won't debate whether ortho is superior or not (I do own a Planck and will be building more for weird projects), but when basically every other computer is staggard, why teach them something new?- might as well made the keyboard Colemak just to top it all off.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:46:53 »

I can see their idea behind the color scheme where each different type of character or modifier is a different color to teach kids what is the same, but kids have little hands and shouldnt be trying to use those giant buttons. I'm over 6ft tall and I have trouble stretching my fingers to fluidly hit the right keys. I won't debate whether ortho is superior or not (I do own a Planck and will be building more for weird projects), but when basically every other computer is staggard, why teach them something new?- might as well made the keyboard Colemak just to top it all off.

I respect both staggered and ortho, both beautiful but yea, why teach them something new?
Might as well make it Colmak, ortholinear and blank!  :cool:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 18:43:22 »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:38:58 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:03:00 by gak1234 »

Offline Myoth

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:46:36 »
Show Image

Wonky Alps switches that Apple never used on any other board.  The plastic case binds up during adjustment, squeaks and rattles like crazy.  I used to be an Apple Certified Repair tech and these things were NOT reliable nor cheap.

Apple being not reliable nor cheap ? we've never heard this  ;)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:10:10 »
Show Image

Wonky Alps switches that Apple never used on any other board.  The plastic case binds up during adjustment, squeaks and rattles like crazy.  I used to be an Apple Certified Repair tech and these things were NOT reliable nor cheap.

I feel like you haven't seen too many bad KBs if this one is your worst haha. But is that really a bad thing?

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:30:13 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:03:11 by gak1234 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:56:40 »
Hmmm...I will have to think about this one...which one hurt my hands the most after the least amount of time...

Offline mogo

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 08:24:52 »
Hmmm...I will have to think about this one...which one hurt my hands the most after the least amount of time...

for me, that's "every ortholinear board ever"

Offline Mainian

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:04:11 »
Just in general... hypersphere'd topre, especially the hhkb.

Maybe I type too hard for things with plastic plates...

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #100 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 16:54:52 »
for me, that's "every ortholinear board ever"

I have a Planck built purely for aesthetic reasons as I keep it displayed on my desk on a stand (along with a Pok3r on a stand as well). I have tried to use it a handful of times and while it hasn't been the worst experience, it's definitely a different experience. I was easily about to transition from a normal keyboard down to a 60% almost immediately, then got used to a 40% moderately fast (still working on my perfect JD40 keymap though), but the learning curve from 40 to 30 along with ortho has been really challenging.

What makes me retarded is that even though they aren't my favorite board (IMO the BananaSplit will take the cake along with all my Apple/Alps boards), I am still going to build probably another 3 Planck projects  ^-^ I just like weird builds and I have a couple in mind, so once I get around to it, I have some ideas for some new to market Planck builds.

Definitely lower on my build list, so hopefully I get around to them (though my wallet hopes not).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 17:46:51 »
Tossing in another vote for roll-up silicone squishy thing. Bad.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 19:52:32 »
Show Image

lol Plugable donated one to the Atlanta meetup and I traded the guy who won it for my door prize instead. I wanted it for my daughter, more to play with to keep her occupied while i was working. My wife wondered why i didnt give her one of my 40% boards to play with stating "Why would they make the caps so huge for people with tiny hands? That makes no sense. It should be smaller than normal."  Cant say shes wrong. I'm going to use it for her "Space Ship Control Center" activity wall.

-Dana

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 23:49:06 »
I'm going to use it for her "Space Ship Control Center" activity wall.

Show Image

That sounds like both an appropriate and cute idea. I have toyed around with ideas on how to modify it for fun, but I have so many that this is literally at the bottom of the list

Offline berkiyo

• y=mx+c
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 04:22:23 »
There was one particular Logitech keyboard that came in a combo which often had keys like ctrl, shift and tab being hard to press when pushed towards the corners. It was the Logitech MK270 but I can confirm that they have moved on since that with their newer products. The MK345 for example isn't too bad and sounds like a Topre :P

It was probably the worst I've tried but other than that, I haven't tried many crap keyboards to begin with. Logitech MK270 isn't bad but it's not the best I've tried so far.
"With great power comes great responsibility."

Offline berkiyo

• y=mx+c
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 04:27:59 »
Dell KB216!

They provided those to us at the office along with DELL laptops and monitors, by far the worst keyboard I ever used!

Took me 3 days to order a 10keyless with MX Blue switches to replace it with!

I too have a Dell KB216 lying around and I've smashed high typing speeds but that said, it doesn't mean it is a joy to type on. For my taste, the flat key design isn't that great but the overall look of the board is nice. It was originally made to be used for server racks so that may explain why they haven't payed much attention to the typing experience.

For the $15 I spent on it, I'd be happy to use it again though it's not something to rave about. It's also really quiet which is welcoming to me I guess. In the end, it is all about using what works best for you!  :thumb:
"With great power comes great responsibility."

Offline TheFresko

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 05:11:15 »
I bought a Razer Lycosa off of Woot! before I got into this hobby and knew better. It worked for about 2 days before it just stopped doing anything. Swapped it out with Razer, same thing happened. Swapped for another, same thing again. Come to find out the Lycosa had driver problems that Razer never fixed. My wife actually went through the same thing with the same keyboard before we met. If you google Lycosa problems, you'll see a TON of random problems people had with it. I guess different setups had the drivers screw up in different ways. Not sure how there was never a recall on it. They just kept allowing retailers to sell them and moved on.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 06:47:55 »
Here is another similar keyboard akin to the Plugable one aimed at children, but apparently this is aimed at people with dyslexia. Something about the horrid Comic Sans legends (which the dyslexic community has even more fonts created specifically for aide in their disability) and neon yellow are supposed to help in some way. I don't know the real science behind it, especially the color choice, but while the design world loathes Comic Sans, apparently it's lack of san serif accenting and obvious difference in character design help dyslexics type easier.

Still looks like a toddler's keyboard IMO, but I read some comments citing some evidence of actual functionality. Thank god I'm only stuck with my Plugable monstrosity for humous occasions. I've tried so many times to try and regularly use it and fail every time to get any key of typing speed of key feedback enjoyability. While I have no dyslexic tendencies, so maybe I just "don't get it" I can't understand the need for such a large child-like keyboard with poor plastic a dombed key construction, just because you have a mental disability that switches up your letters while typing and reading.

As a designer, it really grinds my gears on so many levels, so hopefully, there is some hard-back science behind this and not some "As Seen on TV" psuedo-science to take advantage of anyone.

At least the Plugable unit is color-coded to help kids learn which types of characters belong to the same subset of characters (letters, punctuation, modifier keys, etc. wheres the dyslexic on is just blinding and in a horrible font with terribly utilize dombed keys in a giant form-factor. Hopefully, it really works.

Dyslexia Board:

The Plugable kids board (that I and OfTheWild recently posted about:

Offline twin_rotor

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:42:38 »
(KB101-A for scale)

For the NTSC guys, my personal Timex/Sinclair 1000. I saw the ZX81 already listed; the 1000 was no better!

The 3COM infrared keyboard, on the left, is one of the worst feeling AND sized keyboards I've ever experienced, that I used for longer than anyone should ever have to (including the system it came with). No love for late '90s dome small form factors! This one is really, really strange. I do not have the vocabulary to even begin to explain the key feel. Maybe I should send this one to chyros, along with the Audrey it came with. :D

I always HATED the C64 keyboard as well! I reminded myself how big of a pile of mush it was/is while pulling these examples out of my case. My TRS-80 is a close second in this respect. MUSH!

Multitech KB-101A

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:44:02 »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:45:20 »

haha, yeah, was wondering when that'd find it's way into this thread.

really fun video  ;D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:52:48 »

haha, yeah, was wondering when that'd find it's way into this thread.

really fun video  ;D

Aye. Lots of surprises in that video

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 10:41:58 »
The Dell L700?  Looks like this or like it.  Shipped with Dell Pentium computers in early 2000's.  Every key rattles, makes horrible noise, is wobbly, and mushy.

Nobody wanted to use a 60% keyboard at work, so I replaced the one I use with a Cherry MX 3.0, a vast improvement.

My 55y/o coworker dissed the cherry board I was letting her use, saying shes got one of those old dell keyboards at home she prefers that she'll bring in and she comes in with the board you pictured! UGH! :confused:

I think they had Dell Quietkeys at my school's computer lab, but the first computer my family bought was a Dell/Gateway back around 2000 and it had the below keyboard which I've found in thrift stores since and it is a really crummy rubberdome.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:27:17 »

Show Image

The very worst in my opinion. Yes the old Atari 400 Membrane.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:30:04 »
reminds me of this terrible keyboard from when i was a kid:

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:36:02 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:34:19 »
Show Image

..Compared to the Atari 400 keyboard, that is BLISS!

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:44:19 »

Show Image

lmao, say no to qwerty!

go abcdef!

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 21:02:43 »

Show Image

lmao, say no to qwerty!

go abcdef!

its no wonder we had to do Mario Teaches Typing to figure out keyboards. lol
I should force my kit to use Colemak
-Dana

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 02:22:50 »
Anyone have one of these as a kid?

183787-0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 03:15:28 »
Anything with the dreaded

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 December 2017, 03:41:33 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 03:41:45 »

(Attachment Link)

This has to be the worst I have tried so far.

Offline Professor Fate

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 10:49:29 »
It was a Mitsumi rubber-dome keyboard. We had some of them at high school and later at university. The keys were rather hard to type, so if somebody like me, who types very quickly, has the honor to use such a board, everybody (!) in the room will hear how he's trying to destroy that piece-of-scrap.

@Duckyreddy: You used a flexible rubber keyboard? Eeeeehhhh!!! I once sold them. For special applications (intensive care unit, cleanroom etc.) it may be even a viable option (its protection class is IP54), but typing long texts on such key-something is a nightmare.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 14:02:05 »
It was a Mitsumi rubber-dome keyboard. We had some of them at high school and later at university. The keys were rather hard to type, so if somebody like me, who types very quickly, has the honor to use such a board, everybody (!) in the room will hear how he's trying to destroy that piece-of-scrap.

@Duckyreddy: You used a flexible rubber keyboard? Eeeeehhhh!!! I once sold them. For special applications (intensive care unit, cleanroom etc.) it may be even a viable option (its protection class is IP54), but typing long texts on such key-something is a nightmare.

I used it on someone's tablet for 2 minutes, absolutely hated the feel.....ew...
I would never use one let alone buy own one!  :confused:
I guess it isn't designed for home use so I guess there is a market for them in environments like the ICU, cleanroom as you have mentioned, which is pretty cool!
And it rolls up which is quite convenient actually...  :p

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:07:06 »
I think those Apple keyboards with the white keys and clear plastic bezels were pretty bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 19:01:06 »

x2... I blocked out all of the horrible memories of using those keyboards and now they are coming rushing back. Thanks...  :'(
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline clicked121

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 19:15:59 »
Xbox 360 attachable controller keyboard.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 19:18:50 »
These are really bad too:

184060-0

Like rubber domes, tablet keyboard cases are not made equal, but the iRulu one has to be the worst tablet case I ever attempted to type on. The whole thing flexes when you type on it, and you have to press hard to actuate keys, but if you type too hard, it triggers the keys near it. It might as well be a foil membrane keyboard.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 20:43:44 »
The waterproof keyboard on an old Toughbook.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/panasonic-toughbook-cf-27-cf-28-cf-29-backlit-rubber-keyboard/

pure rage-inducing

Offline mogo

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 20:56:20 »

You say that, but I think it was pretty good for the purpose it served. It was nice to have a qwerty board for the thumbs with individually clicky little caps. Arranged in a grid, but it's not like you could get your full hands over it so you couldn't touch type anyways. I liked it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 21:09:44 »

You say that, but I think it was pretty good for the purpose it served. It was nice to have a qwerty board for the thumbs with individually clicky little caps. Arranged in a grid, but it's not like you could get your full hands over it so you couldn't touch type anyways. I liked it.

I had a 360 keypad as well. At least the official 360 keypad keys registered when you pressed them, unlike certain squishy roll-up keyboards. I would seriously consider a 360 keypad/controller as a lounging keyboard/mouse.

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:48:18 »
Show Image

hahaha man! TRUE!!